G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1382544542' post='8046015']
[size=5][sup]Just curious, how much has everyone's handicap actually reduced as a result of moving to the G25 irons? In one of the previous posts, someone mentioned being a 5 capper now hitting 5 more GIRs per round and in closer proximity to the hole. To me, this would loosely correlate to dropping their handicap of approx. 5-7 strokes. Just curious?[/sup][/size]
[/quote]

I played in 12 club competitions since switching to the G25s and failed to make the buffer zone (33 net stableford points or more) in 11 of them. So my HI has changed for the worse by 1.1.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

[quote name='Phobos' timestamp='1382652112' post='8053207']
[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1382635939' post='8051755']
[quote name='talksalot81' timestamp='1382601780' post='8049985']
It is, of course, going to depend on the individual. If a person is a poor long putter but a good chipper, it probably won't make a difference that they are now on the edge of the green rather than chipping. Likewise, if someone is a good putter and a poor chipper, it will make a lot more difference that they are on the green! One would also assume that the knowledge of hitting closer would inform the golfer what areas of the short game they need to work on.
[/quote]

While I'm sure there are some exceptions, chipping and putting pretty much go hand-in-hand. Call it "short game". I haven't seen very many guys who good chipper but bad putters (or vice versa).

A guy who practices chipping is almost certainly going to practice his putting just as much or more. The opposite may be a little more common as a lot of putting greens don't allow chipping. So, a guy might be a better putter than chipper simply for lack of practice. But most are seldom completely "opposite".

I don't think you'll find too many guys that can chip it closer from a distance than putting it,,,,, some ?,,,, yes,,,, but not many
[/quote]

Altough I´m still pretty new to the game (started last spring) and play to a 20 hcp, I´ve chipped in from +40 feet around 15 times this season in 70-75 rounds. My home course has got pretty big and mostly flat greens, but I´ve only sank 1 putt from 30 feet or more this year.

I spend a lot of time practicing chipping and pitching by the way, but never putting. It´s reaaly boring. At my home course I putt pretty good anyway because I know the speed of all the greens and all the lines, but I´m definitely a better chipper than putter.
[/quote]

So you average 1 chip-in from 40+ feet every 5 rounds. That IS impressive.

And while I said chipping and putting pretty much go hand-in-hand that holds true for those who practice both.

30 foot putts by a 20 handicapper ? I guess the question is how many 30 footers did you have in those 75 rounds. I mean you apparently don't hit too many greens and when you chip I imagine you don't often leave yourself 30 feet,,,,,,,,, soooooo,,,,,, you probably didn't HAVE all that many 30 footers. :D[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]Of course if you gave the attention to putting that you give to chipping,,,,,,,,,, (cool)[/size]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1382646047' post='8052641']
[quote name='Geohans' timestamp='1382643061' post='8052371']
In the discussion of "strokes saved per round," there seems to be an implied faulty assumption: G25s will only have a possible POSITIVE effect on your game, with no potential downside.

this is like the guy who tells you about all his winnings on his last trip to Vegas, without mention the last 3 losing trips.

There are many of us who noticed a negative impact, sometimes right away and other times over the course of several weeks or months. We've been called out and told this is impossible, based on the laws of physics. So we stop.

If you're reading this thread and it doesn't jibe with your experience-- namely that SGIs didn't help you- don't beat yourself up. Just go with what works for you.
[/quote]

In your boo-hoo there seems to be an implied faulty assumption: that people hurt by G25's are still playing them and contribute to this discussion. They aren't, they sold their G25 and are currently knocking pins down with their grain flow forged MP4's.
[/quote]

:cheesy:[size=4] [/size] :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1382660421' post='8054005']
[quote name='Phobos' timestamp='1382652112' post='8053207']
[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1382635939' post='8051755']
[quote name='talksalot81' timestamp='1382601780' post='8049985']
It is, of course, going to depend on the individual. If a person is a poor long putter but a good chipper, it probably won't make a difference that they are now on the edge of the green rather than chipping. Likewise, if someone is a good putter and a poor chipper, it will make a lot more difference that they are on the green! One would also assume that the knowledge of hitting closer would inform the golfer what areas of the short game they need to work on.
[/quote]

While I'm sure there are some exceptions, chipping and putting pretty much go hand-in-hand. Call it "short game". I haven't seen very many guys who good chipper but bad putters (or vice versa).

A guy who practices chipping is almost certainly going to practice his putting just as much or more. The opposite may be a little more common as a lot of putting greens don't allow chipping. So, a guy might be a better putter than chipper simply for lack of practice. But most are seldom completely "opposite".

I don't think you'll find too many guys that can chip it closer from a distance than putting it,,,,, some ?,,,, yes,,,, but not many
[/quote]

Altough I´m still pretty new to the game (started last spring) and play to a 20 hcp, I´ve chipped in from +40 feet around 15 times this season in 70-75 rounds. My home course has got pretty big and mostly flat greens, but I´ve only sank 1 putt from 30 feet or more this year.

I spend a lot of time practicing chipping and pitching by the way, but never putting. It´s reaaly boring. At my home course I putt pretty good anyway because I know the speed of all the greens and all the lines, but I´m definitely a better chipper than putter.
[/quote]

So you average 1 chip-in from 40+ feet every 5 rounds. That IS impressive.

And while I said chipping and putting pretty much go hand-in-hand that holds true for those who practice both.

30 foot putts by a 20 handicapper ? I guess the question is how many 30 footers did you have in those 75 rounds. I mean you apparently don't hit too many greens and when you chip I imagine you don't often leave yourself 30 feet,,,,,,,,, soooooo,,,,,, you probably didn't HAVE all that many 30 footers. :D

[size=4]Of course if you gave the attention to putting that you give to chipping,,,,,,,,,, (cool)[/size]
[/quote]

Yep, I sink that many chips, but of course I lack the consistency of a really good player and have the occasional fat and thin shots around the greens. But I would say 4/5 chips get inside 12 ft of the cup.

And yes, I have more chips from 30-40 feet than putts as I usually only hit 5-7 greens per round at my home course, but I´ve still had a lot of longer putts and have only sank one. But I agree that chipping and putting goes hand in hand in some ways because most of the time you have to read the greens right to be able to get the chips close.

Ping G25 12* Driver
Ping Rapture 17* and Ping K15 19* woods
Ping G20 23* hybrid
Ping G25 5-PW irons
Ping Tour Gorge wedges 50*SS/56*WS/60*SS
SeeMore FGP Original putter

[quote name='Agent Jim' timestamp='1382650818' post='8053073']
How long did your custom orders take. I have the 4, 7 and PW comiing to try out. Mostly its to see if I like the CFS shaft. If I like it I will order the rest in it, if not I will go with the DGS300.
[/quote]

Mine took 2 weeks.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

[size=5][sup]Just curious, how much has everyone's handicap actually reduced as a result of moving to the G25 irons? In one of the previous posts, someone mentioned being a 5 capper now hitting 5 more GIRs per round and in closer proximity to the hole. To me, this would loosely correlate to dropping their handicap of approx. 5-7 strokes. Just curious?[/sup][/size]
[/quote]

I went from an 8 to the current 5-index, mostly attributable to the improved GIR and proximity-to-hole changes. Which I mostly give credit to the consistency and forgiveness of the G25 irons.

I'm eager to see my GHIN revision on 10/31, as I've been posting a steady stream of +1 to +4 over-par rounds since the last revision

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1382575676' post='8048757']
[quote name='Tango-Golf' timestamp='1382457490' post='8040181']
[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1382455889' post='8040049']
[quote name='Tango-Golf' timestamp='1382454288' post='8039927']
Here are my 2 cents on the PIng G25 irons: after 10 rounds of play, they are the best irons I've ever had

I play to a 5 index, carry my 7-iron about 150 yds. Irons have always been the weakest part of my game, hence a 10-yr journey to sharpen my approach shots (and test out different iron sets)

Partly based on reading about the experience of others using the G25s in this thread, I got fitted for a set in July (orange dot, 1/2" off, CFS regular flex)

After a short adjustment period, the changes were dramatic. My average GIR went from 9/18 to 14/18, but the biggest difference was in proximity to hole. With my previous 9/18 average GIR, only 3 of those were realistic birdie opportunities (inside 15 feet). With my current 14/18 average GIR, 9 are realistic birdie opportunities. No joke! We won't talk about my putting though :-)

In this thread, I'd seen people b**** about the lack of feel in the G25s. What I say is: great feel is watching a soaring iron shot stick inside 15 ft, time after time. Feels awesome to me!

For me to give up these G25s, you'd have to pry these G25 irons from my cold, dead fingers. Ping, great job on the design!
[/quote]

What irons did you play before the 25s ?
[/quote]

Going backwards across 20 yrs of play:
Ping G25s
Nike VR-S
Nike Slingshot OSS
TaylorMade Firesoles (prettiest ones I've ever owned)
Wilson Staff Midsize Firesticks (graphite shafts)
[/quote]

Thanks. I was just curious what you came from. My "specs" are similar to yours (150 yard 7 iron) but I use stiff shafts (99 MPH on the driver).

I'm one of those that thinks the G25s lack feel.

I switched to G20s (with DGS300) Spring of '12 and have noticed a fair bit of difference in greens hit but not a whole lot of difference in scoring even though I did have a "best ever" 1 under at Grossingers in '12.

I don't keep my stats but after every round I do go over the round in my head; GIRs, Putts, Fairways hit, etc and I have noticed my GIRs are up a fair bit and better proximity to the hole as well. I'd say I hit about 10 greens on average before the G20s and now about 13. Personal best was 17.
[/quote]

Great GIR numbers, similar to my own. 1-under though: way beyond my league.

I will say that I did get fitted and was bought a set of Nike VRS forged irons (wife's anniversary present) just before the G25 purchase this summer. Beautiful irons, but even slight mishits were costing me GIRs (or even worse, dumping it in the bunker or water). I'd rather score than look cool

I'll be curious to see how folks like these after the "honeymoon period" is up with them.

No snark intended. We've all seen it.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='Warrick' timestamp='1382696782' post='8055529']
[quote name='Agent Jim' timestamp='1382650818' post='8053073']
How long did your custom orders take. I have the 4, 7 and PW comiing to try out. Mostly its to see if I like the CFS shaft. If I like it I will order the rest in it, if not I will go with the DGS300.
[/quote]

Mine took 2 weeks.
[/quote] Thanks. They gave me a date of November 26. More than a month. I remember the same type thing with the G20, but it arrived sooner.

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1382701071' post='8055633']
I'll be curious to see how folks like these after the "honeymoon period" is up with them.

[/quote]

It is a fair question. I've had mine since early June and continue to believe they are the best irons for my game I have ever played. Not only they have they allowed me to get away with some pretty ugly swings, they also have been pretty darned precise. I have holed two gap wedges shots (115 yards) and hit the ball close for tap ins more this year than in the past few seasons combined. Heck, I even like the 8 iron and GW for chipping around the green; they have made me less reliant on the 58* I carry.

[quote name='gallas2' timestamp='1382640494' post='8052161']
[quote name='bueller' timestamp='1382632308' post='8051427']
[quote name='gallas2' timestamp='1382631345' post='8051355']
[/quote]

I got mine end of June and was a 9.0. After a tough adjustment I briefly went back to i20s (maybe a week). I ballooned up to 11.1 because of switching and the fact that our course is really tough in the summer with long rough and small hard greens. I have played 70 rounds and probably last 30 with G25s and I'm down to an 8.4. I save 2-3 shots a round that hit the green or end up close in the fringe/rough rather than bunker or worse. I am more confident standing over these....BUT.....there are days when I do miss the feeling of puring my old i5's to five feet. It's a trade off I am willing to live with:

23/10/2013 8.4 16/08/2013 11.1
[/quote]

I am having a tough time adjusting myself. The wedges are easy to adapt to but the offset in the mid irons is a little tuff for me so far. They look flat to me as well compared to my ansers with the same lie. because of the head size i guess. I do love the recoils though. Looks like I am ordering another set of answer's with recoils and giving these to my son
[/quote]

If they look flat you should have the lies checked.....I had a used set of i5's in green dot that were bent too upright. It was night and day when I traded em for actual green dots.

How do the recoils compare to CFS stiff?
[/quote]

I ordered them right from ping to my specs (blue dot std. loft and length) with the recoils in them and have not played the cfs stiff shaft. I have been playing anser's with project X 6.0 (non flighted) for most of the season this year.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping G30 LS Tec 10.5*, Tour 65[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping Anser 14.5* fairway [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping Anser 17*, 20* Hybrids[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping G30 4-SW, CFS [/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=3]Mack Daddy PM grind 58*[/size][/color][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=3]Ping CTR Tomcat C heavy 34"[/size][/color][/font]

[quote name='bellairemi' timestamp='1382703024' post='8055731']

[/quote]

It is a fair question. I've had mine since early June and continue to believe they are the best irons for my game I have ever played. Not only they have they allowed me to get away with some pretty ugly swings, they also have been pretty darned precise. I have holed two gap wedges shots (115 yards) and hit the ball close for tap ins more this year than in the past few seasons combined. Heck, I even like the 8 iron and GW for chipping around the green; they have made me less reliant on the 58* I carry.
[/quote]

+1 on everything he said

I've had more near misses holing out with these than I can remember and my vokey 58 is now relegated to the sand (now nicknamed Rommel).

I also got mine in June....Hope the honeymoon lasts a little longer.......BTW anyone know when the i25's are comin out? ;)

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

[/quote]

No honeymoon here, in fact I didn't like them too much at first....now I still don't really like the feel. When hit really well I don't get anything transcendental out of it. In a way they sort of blend in, no thrill to pull them out.

Here's what they do well, they play well out of rough and bad lies, they get me out of tight spots...I really put high value of that. I can play a knockdown shot with them very successfully. So whenever I'd feel hey, this is a boring iron that feels very meh off the fairway, I am reminded how they save my arse 5 times around from iffy weird situations.

G25 is the rugged SUV of irons. Not too great handling, doesn't take sexy curves. But if it rains, there's mud or you get off the best maintained road, what else would you rather drive? A sexy convertible or a luxury sedan? Please...

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1382740071' post='8058601']

[/quote]

No honeymoon here, in fact I didn't like them too much at first....now I still don't really like the feel. When hit really well I don't get anything transcendental out of it. In a way they sort of blend in, no thrill to pull them out.

Here's what they do well, they play well out of rough and bad lies, they get me out of tight spots...I really put high value of that. I can play a knockdown shot with them very successfully. So whenever I'd feel hey, this is a boring iron that feels very meh off the fairway, I am reminded how they save my arse 5 times around from iffy weird situations.

G25 is the rugged SUV of irons. Not too great handling, doesn't take sexy curves. But if it rains, there's mud or you get off the best maintained road, what else would you rather drive? A sexy convertible or a luxury sedan? Please...
[/quote]

Good analogy. Had not thought of it this way but now that I do...I would say they are like an Acura MDX.....

Vanity post alert: My index is now at a new low (since the switch from i series) of 8.1 (from a June post switch high of 11.1). Biggest improvement has come in the last 4-5 weeks and I'm convinced it is because of GIR AND chipping with the 9-PW and pitching with the SW.

I used to always go to the vokey 54 or 58 but since taking a short game lesson I almost always use a G25. Pro said "you can't miss with these things...."

Maybe I should get a G25 LW?

[quote name='Warrick' timestamp='1383075765' post='8074943']
I don't think i could throw out my LW, but am seriously considering at least the UW to match y set, maybe the SW also. I have heard good things.
[/quote]

ya the SW is probably my fav if not 2nd fav (PW is so versatile)......I've kicked the vokey 54 out and it's about to get wet up here so I'm thinking LW for vokey 58

Great review IO. I'm new to this site, just joined as I'm constantly referring to this site for equipment ideas and reviews so thought it was time to join in.

Have been playing the G25s for about 10 rounds now, previously had i3+ blades. I like the G25s extra lenghth and the forgiveness but find I am less accurate with them than my old i3s. The problem I have is the weight, I have them in cs stiff and have read a few of you guys mention this shaft is light and a switch to a heavier shaft may be an option, my g25s have golf pride grips and come in at c9 which I find very light (I asked ping to make them d1 when purchased but have since changed grips and shortened shaft qtr inch) Would it not be better for ping to adjust the swingweight up through the custom tuning port or to pull my kbs tour stiff shafts from my i3+ blades in the hope that increases the swingweight?

Would appreciate any advice, thank you.

I have been hitting the g25s with the CFS stiff very high but getting good distance, I put the hight down to the head (compared to the i3+ blade) but maybe it's the shaft too.

The i3 are d2 swing weight and the g25s. So I guess my dilemma is; is the loss of accuracy with the g25 due to the light swingweight or the softer CFS shaft. My driver swing speed is 100mph.

This is why god invented lead tape. Go to the golf store and get a roll of lead tape. Look up here on golfwrx how long the strips need to be to change the swing weight....and go to town! When Ping sent my first set of G25's at C9, before they were sent back I slowly put enough lead on to bring them up to D2. Made a big difference in feel.

I'm also coming from i3+ irons with reg Dynamic Gold SL's, and I must agree. As much as I'm hitting more greens, the i3+ irons are more accurate.

Veners

The change in swingweight and over all weight can have a big effect of accuracy. Go over to the Club Tech forum and Willyboyd has a good thread going " Finally dialed in my swingweight, wow". Finding the correct one for him made a big difference in accuracy. It just so happens he has G25 irons and heavy was better for him.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[quote name='Veners' timestamp='1383347647' post='8090248']
Great review IO. I'm new to this site, just joined as I'm constantly referring to this site for equipment ideas and reviews so thought it was time to join in.

Have been playing the G25s for about 10 rounds now, previously had i3+ blades. I like the G25s extra lenghth and the forgiveness but find I am less accurate with them than my old i3s. The problem I have is the weight, I have them in cs stiff and have read a few of you guys mention this shaft is light and a switch to a heavier shaft may be an option, my g25s have golf pride grips and come in at c9 which I find very light (I asked ping to make them d1 when purchased but have since changed grips and shortened shaft qtr inch) Would it not be better for ping to adjust the swingweight up through the custom tuning port or to pull my kbs tour stiff shafts from my i3+ blades in the hope that increases the swingweight?

Would appreciate any advice, thank you.
[/quote]
I would definitely start with some lead tape in the bottom back of the cavity. A few strips should get you back to D1. If you hate the look of the tape I would send them back to Ping to be rebuilt. There cost is more than reasonable and it would definitely be done right. The KBS Tour is an option, but with the heavier shafts there is a chance you could actually make the heads feel even lighter unless you go with some tip weights.

Many thanks for the tips guys. Just read the thread suggested and the wishon article on swingweight and it's very interesting.

Will experiment with lead tape to find my preferred weight, then send back to ping for them to get whole set tuned to that weight through the ct port. Will leave the kbs shafts in the i3+ blafes for now as they will be a decent back up set and a set I will always have a soft spot for so good to keep them, they just don't have the power of the g25 if that makes any sense, the i3 are very consistent but the ease I can hit the g25 irons high and long even with the light aw is insane, makes me determined to get the sw spot on just to see how good these really can be.

[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1383398706' post='8091982']
Interesting. My G25s came D2 swing weight. Not sure the +1/2'' had anything to do with it?
[/quote]

Yes, if you don't specify a swing weight they build them to the standard without regard to length. So adding the 1/2" brings them to D2. Now you could say +1/2" and D0, D4, whatever. But without specifying they are built to D0 and the added length brings them up. At least this was my understanding when ordering.

[quote name='mooseman76' timestamp='1383433510' post='8093656']
[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1383398706' post='8091982']
Interesting. My G25s came D2 swing weight. Not sure the +1/2'' had anything to do with it?
[/quote]

Yes, if you don't specify a swing weight they build them to the standard without regard to length. So adding the 1/2" brings them to D2. Now you could say +1/2" and D0, D4, whatever. But without specifying they are built to D0 and the added length brings them up. At least this was my understanding when ordering.
[/quote]

would cushion inserts move em up to D2?