2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Miura in house forging?

MJisGOAT

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it's true or not as this is the same guy that tried to drag Scratch's name through the mud. He also owns a company that sells clubs, so there might be some motive to knock down certain brands.

I agree that Miura irons don't feel much different than other high quality forgings.

Unless something has changed in the last few years which I doubt I have been to the Miura factory and met Mr. Miura and have toured his factory at the same site. I would be willing to bet he does his own forgings. He has a very unique process that i used to make the Maxfli putters and that is he fusion welds his hosels to control shaft position exactly when finished with his multi step forging process. his heads are extremely precision for size and shape. Tad Moore

Re hash of an old article....been asked and answered too many times to count. Miura does their own forging in their own factory,,,,,,It IS all "In house"

Yonex Tri-G 10* driver
Yonex Ezone GT 15*  3  wood
Yonex Ezone GT 18*  5 wood
Yonex Ezone GT irons 4-AW
Miura Tour Black 54* SW
Miura Tour Black 60* LW
Miura KM007 Putter

Find it odd that article shows up on one of the premier spots to buy JDM if its bagging so hard on JDM without any truth to the matter...

Anyone?

Anything in the article about the metal tech discussed hold water?

9.5 Opti440 - Fujikura Rombax 5Wo6 X

Taylormade 17.9 4 wood - NVX (X)
Adams DHY Hybrid X
Cobra ACP's 4-PW
MD2's 52/58
LowTide FIN #5 Custom

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1376320913' post='7660190']
[quote name='Doc420' timestamp='1376287451' post='7658422']
2010 story
[/quote]
The request was not for what year the article was written, but rather any proof of whether or not miura does their own forgings? I didn't play golf in 2010, so this is certainly news to me.
[/quote]

Well, do a search.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I would call bulls**t on that entire article unless there were truly compelling evidence from a more reputable source. This is the same place that has been trash talking Epon since they messed up their "exclusive"...

There's a solid clue in the comments below, where several people from Miura are chatting with the author. The author states :
[color=#0000cd][i]"Also from the very start Miura USA has given TSG a very cold shoulder. Perhaps we should clear the air and improve the relationship.[/i]"[/color]

I would say this is thinly veiled code for "get me some better deals and some super perks, and I'll print a retraction" (and maybe a warm fuzzy glowing article on how special Miura's in-house process is - in exchange for an all-expenses trip to Japan!) :blush2:

The folks from Miura posted an open invitation to tour their factory and see the forging being done. The author quotes anonymous sources who are - obviously - competitors. Looks like a bunch of trash talk to either discredit Miura, or try to level the playing field for non-Japan forgings.

[quote name='SwingMan' timestamp='1376348182' post='7663590']
[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1376320913' post='7660190']
[quote name='Doc420' timestamp='1376287451' post='7658422']
2010 story
[/quote]
The request was not for what year the article was written, but rather any proof of whether or not miura does their own forgings? I didn't play golf in 2010, so this is certainly news to me.
[/quote]

Well, do a search.
[/quote]I did! Thanks for the concern

@therealping

o good looooooooord, not agian......
version of this saga no. 1 billion.
why doesnt someone just go down there and see for themsleves then
isnt here an open invitation. ?

i guess everyones done that bec. EVEYONE KNOWS for sure they do/dont...... . ?
i got the answer..,

i might just pop down there and get another nice set of [i]isms[/i] made. ..,

yes, that will do nicely.

then at least ILL know.........,...,

owari !

I have my doubts that Miura does their own forging as they truly are a small, mom 'm pop company. Almost no golf companies do their own forgings though, so who cares?
Sounds to me like the only people who are all bent out of shape about this article are Miura fanboys who have bought into the mystique of, "God hands" Miura-sama.

I know several people who have toured the factory and have gotten their clubs straight from there after custom fitting. All forgings done in Himeji, Japan. I myself am planning a trip also to check everything out there as well. A friend of mine is going in October of this year. Hopefully he'll have some pics I can share and also get a hint of what I'll see when I go. ;)

BTW..Majik would probably have some of the best experiences at the factory..considering who he is. :yes:

[quote name='MizzyMan' timestamp='1376403218' post='7667168']
Hmmmm....whom to believe. The prez of the company, [b][i]a respected putter maker,[/i][/b] and people who have seen the factory in person? Or a guy who can't get a good enough deal with Miura NA and has obvious agenda, as well as anonymous "industry" sources? I'll have to think about that for a nano-second.
[/quote]

Is majic really Tad Moore???? I saw that and wondered if it was just someone being funny. I've got a Tad Moore blade....awesome stick.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

Regarding the material questions, first off one needs to understand that all these steel materials used for forging club heads are really low end steels. Basically, just rudimentary steel formulations used for making a wide variety of consumer products. NOT high tech formulas by any means. 1018 is a soft low-end steel product that has such wide ranging commercial application, it doesn't surprise me to hear that availability of fully certified material is hard to come by. Why would a manufacturer want to pay extra money for a certified batch of material when they are manufacturing fence poles or similar? The Quality people love certifications, since they can trace the material all the way back to the steel mill that produced the stuff. For products where the material strength is not critical, or even important, certified material is a luxury (nice to have), not a necessity.

Same situation presents itself in the USA. Want "aerospace grade" 6061 aluminum? Pay extra and buy material from a batch that has certification from the material house - traced back to the "heat number". You can buy the exact same 6061 material from a broker, but they often lose track of the certifications, or mix batches together, so while the material is indeed 6061, you have no guarantee where it came from.

Regarding golf club heads, I don't think purchasing certified materials is really all that critical. The dang material is like putty and will be whacked in a forging die several times anyway. Of more importance is the softness of the material: 1018 is (arguably) soft to the point of negative affect as far a durability is concern. Some laud the impact feel though. Definitely some tradeoffs in play here.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Hmmmm....whom to believe. The prez of the company, a respected putter maker, and people who have seen the factory in person? Or a guy who can't get a good enough deal with Miura NA and has obvious agenda, as well as anonymous "industry" sources? I'll have to think about that for a nano-second.
[/quote]

Let's face it...this is the internet!!
Until each and every person who questions this idea is provided with a free , all expense paid trip to the factory there will always be "Doubters"...it is part of the way the internet works..... Hide behind your computer and slag away!!
Like you say...the President of Miura came on here and answered it definitively....as have many other folks who have been there to see it for themselves....Never good enough!!!! Besides it is a great way to drive your post count up a little higher ;)
A guy with 34 posts re-opens an old thread....... Hmmmmmmmmm what could that be about.
And YES....[i][b]majic[/b][/i] IS Tad Moore for those who don't already know. I was a Tad Moore builder/dealer for some years back in the day and you would be very hard pressed to find a more knowledgeable or honest man. He is one of the legends of this sport.

Yonex Tri-G 10* driver
Miura Tour Black 54* SW
Miura Tour Black 60* LW
Miura KM007 Putter

[quote name='FLOGMR' timestamp='1376433988' post='7670902']
Hmmmm....whom to believe. The prez of the company, a respected putter maker, and people who have seen the factory in person? Or a guy who can't get a good enough deal with Miura NA and has obvious agenda, as well as anonymous "industry" sources? I'll have to think about that for a nano-second.
[/quote]

Until each and every person who questions this idea is provided with a free , all expense paid trip to the factory there will always be "Doubters"...it is part of the way the internet works..... Hide behind your computer and slag away!!
Like you say...the President of Miura came on here and answered it definitively....as have many other folks who have been there to see it for themselves....Never good enough!!!! Besides it is a great way to drive your post count up a little higher ;)
A guy with 34 posts re-opens an old thread....... Hmmmmmmmmm what could that be about.
And YES....[i][b]majic[/b][/i] IS Tad Moore for those who don't already know. I was a Tad Moore builder/dealer for some years back in the day and you would be very hard pressed to find a more knowledgeable or honest man. He is one of the legends of this sport.
[/quote]

Sorry. I had no idea Majic is Tad Moore. Sooooo....Hello to Majic Tad Moore. You make great putters.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='FLOGMR' timestamp='1376433988' post='7670902']
[/quote]

[/quote]As a loyal miura consumer, I believe I have a legitimate/sincere request.

@therealping

[quote name='swing981' timestamp='1376638184' post='7686304']
golf to impress for the most part if very informative
[/quote]

Just not very accurate!!

Yonex Tri-G 10* driver
Miura Tour Black 54* SW
Miura Tour Black 60* LW
Miura KM007 Putter