2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Best bomber JDM driver?

amateur pro

I've been looking for a new big stick for a little while now, and am thinking of taking the JDM plunge. Experts, what would you recommend for ultimate distance? I am not looking for a demanding driver that rewards with ultimate workability, I'm looking for a straight up bomber. I tee off quite a bit with 3w and 3-4 iron, so when I pull out big daddy I am looking for pure, mostly straight distance. Having the ability to slightly cut or draw would be a nice option, but not at the sacrifice of distance.

A little about myself and my current game: at the moment a 7 index, play better when I have confidence in my tee shots. I am a decent scrambler, which helps me stay around my average score. If I am driving well that day, usually in the mid to high 70's. If my tee game is off then high 70's to mid 80's, depending on how off I am. Driver SS is around 110-113, usually doesn't get higher or lower than that. Ex football player type of body build so rely on power for distance, not necessarily flexibility and sound mechanics (but working on both!). My drives are anywhere between 290-310ish under normal conditions with slightly below average rollout (IMO).

Thanks for your input!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a tough call as there are so many good ones. The S YARD T.388 probably rewards a pure hit as well as any driver ever invented.
The RYOMA MAXIMA type V (a degree stronger than normal use) with the right shaft, Super forgiving consistent overall distance. The George Spirits drivers,
JBEAM 435, ROMARO RAY, any YAMAHA Tour V series driver,

imho, the ryomas will be the straightest and most forgiving, the 435 will be consistently the longest but still offers decent forgiveness, and the yamahas and syards will offer very good performance with better feel.

with the right shaft and a decent swing you won't need to worry about a 30yd hook with any of these...

Thanks chiro..so what are your thoughts on distance of these vs current USDM drivers? So far this year, I have been through covert tour, r1 white, bstone j430, adams super s. I stilll play the super s because it was my backup that got on the 1st string team because I sold my gamer. Hanging on to it primarily because it doesn't seem to have any value, and nothing else I have tried can really beat it out. I did get better spin numbers out of the SLDR but the demo's I saw had some issues I can see surfacing in a couple months if I pulled the trigger. JDM has much better quality control so hopefully it will age beautifully. I'm looking for a long term relationship so can "justify" spending a little more coin on a quality product.

The Miura is the straightest driver I've ever hit, the Ryoma D1-Premia the most forgiving, but the longest and best feeling, bar none, for me, is the S-Yard T.388. I haven't tried the JBeam (yet...), but I've heard others I trust say it's the bomb as well. Don't think you could go wrong with any of these. Totally depends on what you look for in feel, and a lot of that has to do with shaft of course.

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

P.S. re: the USDM drivers: like US cars, they're about planned obsolescence, and for people who are up for changing what they drive every 3 to 6 months... <g>

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='amateur pro' timestamp='1377060828' post='7717420']
Thanks chiro..so what are your thoughts on distance of these vs current USDM drivers? So far this year, I have been through covert tour, r1 white, bstone j430, adams super s. I stilll play the super s because it was my backup that got on the 1st string team because I sold my gamer. Hanging on to it primarily because it doesn't seem to have any value, and nothing else I have tried can really beat it out. I did get better spin numbers out of the SLDR but the demo's I saw had some issues I can see surfacing in a couple months if I pulled the trigger. JDM has much better quality control so hopefully it will age beautifully. I'm looking for a long term relationship so can "justify" spending a little more coin on a quality product.
[/quote]

about the only usdm driver i've hit in recent memory that i would say compares to jdm in terms of an overall package is the adams launch lab. other than that they all left me unsatisfied in one way or another.

I have tried most of the ones listed. I have the Ryoma original D1 not new maxima in the bag for 2 years which is an eternity for some. I have tried the T388, RomaRo, JBeam/Crazy, EPON, Yamaha. All are very good

The easiest and straightest for me has been the Ryoma. I am a 10 HCP. Shaft is very important. I also liked the T-388 but it is not as "Point and Shoot" as the Ryoma for me.

There is a nice Premia in BST here from hanknalex at a good price.

[quote name='stevopagolf' timestamp='1377117959' post='7721104']
I have tried most of the ones listed. I have the Ryoma original D1 not new maxima in the bag for 2 years which is an eternity for some. I have tried the T388, RomaRo, JBeam/Crazy, EPON, Yamaha. All are very good

The easiest and straightest for me has been the Ryoma. I am a 10 HCP. Shaft is very important. I also liked the T-388 but it is not as "Point and Shoot" as the Ryoma for me.

[/quote]

Yeah saw that one, we pm'd but the shaft wasn't right for me. So based on the comments, it seems the ryoma offers max distance with max forgiveness huh? I have also done research on the s yard and jbeam..but 388 and 435 cc doesn't translate into forgiving distance right? Another way to put it is I am looking for rocketballz max type distance, don't really care about mp69 workability. Also, thoughts on putting a nice USDM shaft on JDM head?

[quote name='amateur pro' timestamp='1377127101' post='7721946']

[/quote]

Yeah saw that one, we pm'd but the shaft wasn't right for me. So based on the comments, it seems the ryoma offers max distance with max forgiveness huh? I have also done research on the s yard and jbeam..but 388 and 435 cc doesn't translate into forgiving distance right? Another way to put it is I am looking for rocketballz max type distance, don't really care about mp69 workability. Also, thoughts on putting a nice USDM shaft on JDM head?
[/quote]

The 435 is actually 445cc,so not that far off "full size"..From your description it sounds like the new Ryoma Maxima is the club you are looking for, seems it's very much point and shoot and is reportedly one of the longest too. From what i understand the 435 is the distance champ, but is not [i]that [/i]forgiving and straigt, but forgiving and straight enough for most people.

[quote name='Vegaman' timestamp='1377128759' post='7722066']
[quote name='amateur pro' timestamp='1377127101' post='7721946']

[/quote]

[/quote]

The 435 is actually 445cc,so not that far off "full size"..From your description it sounds like the new Ryoma Maxima is the club you are looking for, seems it's very much point and shoot and is reportedly one of the longest too. From what i understand the 435 is the distance champ, but is not [i]that [/i]forgiving and straigt, but forgiving and straight enough for most people.
[/quote]

Maxima is probably very good, I haven't tried that one, but my comment was related to the original Ryoma's being a relative bargain compared to the Maxima price wise. The t388 looks bigger than its size, is forgiving, but not as forgiving as the Ryoma. The Crazy was well crazy for me, like a wild girlfriend of my youth---good at times but rough when things went awry.

Ryoma and the SYard T388 were my favs of the one's I tried. SYard XV is well regarded as well, a more forgiving T388 if you will.

As far as shafts, any shaft that you like will work in the JDM heads. You can get pretty exotic with Japanese shafts. The Graphite Design Tour AD line is mid range in Japan! Crazy and Quadra Fire Express shafts are the premium end of the spectrum. The heads are important but the shaft choice is equally important in the right driver. I never thought I would find the right combo. The last US driver I really liked and got along with were the TM R510TP and the SuperQuad.

I would try to buy a head only and then put a shaft that you know you like in it.

@vegaman..very nice to know. I might have to start looking at that harder. 445 is very doable, some of my best drives ever were the bstone j40 430 and Fuji TS 6.2. But there were days of struggle..which is why I had to give it up. the 430 head is very unforgiving for an indisciplined swing. Is there any difference between the crazy and jbeam models?

@stevo...ryoma sounds good too haha. Maxima is the newest model correct? I looked on TSG, and that's what I could gather. Either way, I am thinking of putting in a TS 6.3. Crazy and QFE prices are out of control. I can't bring myself to game a $400+ head and $600+ shaft...used....

[quote name='amateur pro' timestamp='1377136797' post='7722866']
@vegaman..very nice to know. I might have to start looking at that harder. 445 is very doable, some of my best drives ever were the bstone j40 430 and Fuji TS 6.2. But there were days of struggle..which is why I had to give it up. the 430 head is very unforgiving for an indisciplined swing. Is there any difference between the crazy and jbeam models?

@stevo...ryoma sounds good too haha. Maxima is the newest model correct? I looked on TSG, and that's what I could gather. Either way, I am thinking of putting in a TS 6.3. Crazy and QFE prices are out of control. I can't bring myself to game a $400+ head and $600+ shaft...used....
[/quote]

Crazy and JBeam are pretty much the same head. $1000 used is insane I agree...

I'm not a JDM gear head but a buddy of mine used to rep Royal Collection. He is out of the biz now, but before it was all done and said, he fit me with the RC Tour Vs driver and 3 wood with the Attas T2 shafts.

They have been in the bag for 1.5 years and there is no way in hell you could pry them from my cold dead hands.

The driver and shaft combo is easily the longest combo I have ever hit. I have no idea what my ss is but don't really care--I like what my eye sees, a mid trajectory boring shot that often keeps up with my long bombing golf buddies.

If you get to hit the RC line, be sure to go up at least a degree in your normal loft, these are low spinning heads!

Good luck.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5 w/Evenflow Riptide CB X-Stiff 
Cobra F8+ 14.5* Rouge Silver X-Stiff

Cobra F8+ 18* Rouge Silver X-Stiff
Srxion 4-6 ZX5 irons, ZX7 7-PW irons w/PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50, 54, 58 x/PX LZ 6.0
Sik Flo or Sik DW or Edel or SGC Norwood 

I have a Crazy 435 with a Crazy 80 LS Noir shaft. Great combination. It is critical to match this head with the right shaft. No guarantee that a TS 6.2 will pair well with this head. Long as advertised, but not overly forgiving. Very deep face. Beautifully shaped head. My playing partners keep accusing it of being non-conforming it is so long. Feel is somewhat harsh or hard. Ball flies off the face.

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

if you're looking for forgiveness, nothing I've hit will top the ryomas, depending on budget I'd go with either the used d1 premia or a new maxima. the epon 103 is very forgiving as well and looks a little better over the ball IMO. again, the t388 is long and super low spin bit it's a sub400cc head and not nearly as forgiving as the others mentioned.

no conforming JDM driver (& your ss is to high for a non conforming) will increase your distance that significantly over a USdm driver, where you'll notice the difference is in the look, sound and feel of the club.

what types of characteristics are you looking for? high/lower launch? carry or roll? what type of sound? (muted or loud, deep or tinny)? the yamahas can feel a bit dead for me but perform really well for people with high SS like yourself.

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

This one. I own of them.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Taylor Made Sim 2 Max 5-wood 18*, Ventus Blue 50 A
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

@freehb..crazy collection there...wow very nice. Epon huh? That's the first mention for them. I am looking for a mid level launch, with decent rollout (more than the 10 yds or so I get right now). My adams head is hot, I know that but the shaft is terrible. And it sounds like cowbell when I nut one. I am looking for a good ping/ting titanium sound, not loud not too soft.

Basically looking for a club that will consistently go straight. If I have confidence in straightness, then it mentally frees me to get after it, which is when I stay in the 300+ range. If I can gain 5-10 yds carry and 10 more yds roll, I will be there all day. Don't care about working the ball with my driver, I just want point and shoot

• 1 month later...

I've been conversing online with a real JDM enthusiast and he touted his Romaro Ray 435LX Forged Driver as being a favorite. If you go to TourSpecGolf and look this one up, you'll see that there are some GREAT photos including one at address that makes this club look nearly perfect. Great shape, great size, great results -- or so I'm told.

[quote name='FLOGMR' timestamp='1377099461' post='7719128']
Miura SIT......bombs away!!!
[/quote]

+1 I just recently picked up a SIT-460 driver and it's much better than I thought!

Ping G430 Max Driver
Callaway Paradym 3HL Fairway

Titleist TSR2 5 Fairway
Titleist U505 4
Titleist T200 5, T150 6, T100 7-GW
Mizuno T22 54D, 60X

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser