2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Random conversation thread

In the original black and white Superman, the bad guy would empty his gun with 5 or 6 shots that would all ricochet off Superman's chest. The bad guy would then throw the gun at Superman...who would always duck.

If he just took 6 bullets in the chest, why does he need to duck when a gun is thrown at him?

To expand on this, if someone is virtually impervious, why would they need any sort of reflexes at all? If the bullets ricochet off, yet he doesn't say "Ow", there there is no brain conditioned nerve-driven behaviour to cause him to physically react to anything. We only duck, flinch, etc to avoid negative nerve stimulus.

How does a thermos know to keep something hot or cold?..........................

Alien technology. Simple.

And on another note, first round with a truly modern bag (avg age of clubs: 10.57 yrs). Results were mixed, but extenuating circumstances suggest I give try #1 a mulligan.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1022759-scootermctavish-vintage-witb/page__st__30?do=findComment&comment=14060244

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Merging on to I-10 in LA I had my wife take a couple pics of this Du low rean on a transport vehicle, car was destroyed , looked like it rolled and caught fire. someone has a fun project ahead

Yep if someone does not find a donor car which would be hard to do then they would have to hand fab all the panels but then again this one may be the 'donor" car for another Deloren project. Like they way you put "Du low rean" sounds just like the way us rednecks say it. We also do not say Camaro we say Camarrah.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Coming out of retirement to work for the superintendent at Yeamans Hall. Part time playing privileges are part of the perks.

A nice little salary to supplement my 2 retirements, keep me busy, and around other golf nuts.

Good deal Randy-- I myself hope to retire and get back into the golf business-- My delimma is whether to go into club repair again or just work on the course or mechanic on equipment I actually enjoy all 3-- but all that is a few years away

Funny as I was telling my wife the other day that I should get a lie/loft machine when I retire, and get CPGA certified to fit clubs.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Hang in there Stu. It'll get here quick enough. Good part- Retired, Bad part- Just another old dude. :). After all the years of playing and then running clubs, I now am building / repairing clubs 5 mornings a week and playing golf in the afternoon. Not a bad way to spend my days.

I would love to have a old style club shop working with older stuff and having better players hanging around shooting the breeze not that everyone would not be welcome. Just a hole in the wall shop not really being in the position to have to make a lot of money to survive and doing just as you do work in the mornings and play all afternoon unless it is as hot as Hades in the afternoons as it has been here. Yep from our past conversations both on PMs and on general forum we have got to get together and talk about some of the old timers we both knew and of course old golf equipment

Stu your describing my day. Good little shop, mostly good guys, new and vintage clubs coming thru, good times. 9 to 1/1:30 then golf, drinks, and home for supper. My best ever friend is just up the road in Morehead City. Maybe get to see you in a couple of years if I can get back that way. I'll sure let you know if I'm coming. As for hot.. Texas this week is 100+ with heat index to 107/108. Not all bad though, it sure makes cold gin&tonic taste fabulous! ;)

Stu your describing my day. Good little shop, mostly good guys, new and vintage clubs coming thru, good times. 9 to 1/1:30 then golf, drinks, and home for supper. My best ever friend is just up the road in Morehead City. Maybe get to see you in a couple of years if I can get back that way. I'll sure let you know if I'm coming. As for hot.. Texas this week is 100+ with heat index to 107/108. Not all bad though, it sure makes cold gin&tonic taste fabulous! ;)

Cool man looking forward to that. Man I have some stories about Morehead City Beach

In the original black and white Superman, the bad guy would empty his gun with 5 or 6 shots that would all ricochet off Superman's chest. The bad guy would then throw the gun at Superman...who would always duck.

If he just took 6 bullets in the chest, why does he need to duck when a gun is thrown at him?

Velocity dependent elastomer. A piece of metal thrown at him is travelling slow enough that it might give him a boo boo. If you could stab Superman nice and slow you might be able to kill him but oh yeah, he would just crush your skull.

So I'm at my club minding my own business last night doing a little putting practice when when of the pro's "borrows" my clubs to show some kids how to change loft and lies. i didn't mind too much as i know he'd return it to standard and in fact he checked all my irons and found that my 6 and 9 were 2degrees strong in loft, my 4 iron was 1 degree flat and my 8 iron was 3 degrees weak. No wonder my approach play has been hit or miss recently.

A pleasant turn of events. Good for you. Don't neglect to return the favor. ;)

I tend to help out when I'm around anyway. Accompanying a group of kids on the course, helping when numbers are big in classes and even starting a ball donating scheme for the kids. Still a free loft and lie check is going to mean a trip to the bar :-)

I stopped in a Walgreens this morning on my way to work to buy some pipe tobacco. The total purchase was 14 bucks and some change. I took out what I thought was 3 5 dollar bills and paid. As I was leaving the girl at the register said ,"Sir, two of the bills were stuck together, you actually gave me 20 dollars. She gave me the 5 back.

I was stunned that she did. I guess I have become so jaded that when someone does the right thing I think it is uncommon. What does this say about our society?

I stopped in a Walgreens this morning on my way to work to buy some pipe tobacco. The total purchase was 14 bucks and some change. I took out what I thought was 3 5 dollar bills and paid. As I was leaving the girl at the register said ,"Sir, two of the bills were stuck together, you actually gave me 20 dollars. She gave me the 5 back.

I was stunned that she did. I guess I have become so jaded that when someone does the right thing I think it is uncommon. What does this say about our society?

It says that there's still good people. It says that good will prevail when the consequences of your actions are staring you in the face.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

There ARE good people in the world, but it mostly goes unnoticed. It's like the old Charlie Brown cartoon, "Doing a good job around here is like wetting yourself in a dark suit. It gives you a warm feeling, but nobody notices."

The other day, I told my buddy about a nephew (38 years old, unmarried and financially struggling). I gave him a Callaway driver and headcover roughly eight years ago, but he hasn't played since then. He's the nephew I gave the huge Callaway staff bag to 3-4 years ago, that I won. Anyhow, he was chatting on the phone with his aunt, and told her how he's been going to the range with some work guys. He told her the Callaway driver snapped. (The ball was on a tee, not the rubber mat.)

Thursday morning, I sent him another Callaway driver and 3W, for I knew if I told him I had another, he would make the 220 mile round trip to pick it up. When his aunt told him he'd get it today, he was really elated. Hopefully, the clubs will entice him to play more.

My buddy told me I was a pretty generous guy, to which I responded that I'm not going to take anything with me, when I pass. "No one sees a Uhaul following a hearse." I also told him, "I know I'm pretty much a misanthrope, but I'll still able to do random acts of kindness. It's just the way I am."

Today, 90 degrees, humid, and looks like rain. I put my Haigs (minimalist 6 clubs) in my trunk, in case I get out today.

Play well.

Well mostly is says in general our society in whole has went to hell in a handbasket--- In that young ladies case she evidently had some good "rasings" as my old man used to say--- stories like yours give me some hope and a glimpse at the light at the end of the tunnel--- hope it ain't the train coming though!!!

There ARE good people in the world, but it mostly goes unnoticed. It's like the old Charlie Brown cartoon, "Doing a good job around here is like wetting yourself in a dark suit. It gives you a warm feeling, but nobody notices."

The other day, I told my buddy about a nephew (38 years old, unmarried and financially struggling). I gave him a Callaway driver and headcover roughly eight years ago, but he hasn't played since then. He's the nephew I gave the huge Callaway staff bag to 3-4 years ago, that I won. Anyhow, he was chatting on the phone with his aunt, and told her how he's been going to the range with some work guys. He told her the Callaway driver snapped. (The ball was on a tee, not the rubber mat.)

Thursday morning, I sent him another Callaway driver and 3W, for I knew if I told him I had another, he would make the 220 mile round trip to pick it up. When his aunt told him he'd get it today, he was really elated. Hopefully, the clubs will entice him to play more.

My buddy told me I was a pretty generous guy, to which I responded that I'm not going to take anything with me, when I pass. "No one sees a Uhaul following a hearse." I also told him, "I know I'm pretty much a misanthrope, but I'll still able to do random acts of kindness. It's just the way I am."

Today, 90 degrees, humid, and looks like rain. I put my Haigs (minimalist 6 clubs) in my trunk, in case I get out today.

Play well.

I am in one of my moods today I called off playing with my buddies because I had a lot of stuff to do at the house. It has been so darn hot lately that I have put off yard work and my yard looks like a junkyard with the long grass. I got most of it done and I am in the house right now cooling off and will do the trim up work in a little bit. One of the guys called and asked if I wanted to play the afternoon I told him naah I was already tired. Got to looking at my vintage sets I put together last week while in the shop cooling off Ended up in my stock getting out some soft balls forgetting that I had plenty of Wilson 50s in both bags. I may go out later on the 4:00 special by myself with the vintage stuff because I have been dying to hit those Izett woods and try the Tad Moore putter. But i am in one of those moods to play by myself and be by myself and asorb the nature of the course. I get like that every now and then

I had a perfect morning at the range - Moe Norman rulez! (3 - 10 swing on the clockface)

TM driver & 5 wood, Mac 7i, 9i, sw

had one mishit from a large bucket of crappy range Srixons.

The classic MacGregor RD irons are better than any other iron I've owned.

Can't wait to get back out on the course.

Still adding to my collection of persimmon and laminated woods.

edit: correction

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

How does a thermos know to keep something hot or cold?..........................

My dad still re-tells a segment on Nightline or some similar news show where they interviewed 'the man on the street' about what technology they feel was most significant in the century. A literal man on the street said "Well, it got to be this Thermos. I put in hot water, it stay hot. I put in something cold it keep cold. How do it know? HOW DO IT KNOW?"

After a 10-year experiment with a 10-fingered grip, I was surprised when using more modern irons how I couldn't make consistent clubface contact. I originally went to it to the ten-fingered grip to increase distance, as I was having difficulty getting an adequate shoulder turn with an interlocking grip.

Anyways, went back to an interlocking grip this last week, and find I am making superb ball contact, and coming in a bit steeper, which generates more backspin and ball height. Oh, and gained at least 1/2 club in length, too.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

After a 10-year experiment with a 10-fingered grip, I was surprised when using more modern irons how I couldn't make consistent clubface contact. I originally went to it to the ten-fingered grip to increase distance, as I was having difficulty getting an adequate shoulder turn with an interlocking grip.

Anyways, went back to an interlocking grip this last week, and find I am making superb ball contact, and coming in a bit steeper, which generates more backspin and ball height. Oh, and gained at least 1/2 club in length, too.

I have done just the opposite: went to a 10 fingered grip from interlocking. :-)

Thought I better let everyone know I was still alive. I have been regularly playing both my 60 Staffs and 85 Mizzies. Decided that the only club i was consistently hitting poorly was my driver. Bought a Ping G2 for $15 and have been playing it with the Mizzies and hitting it pretty well. Also discovered the older TaylorMade Firesole with the bubble shafts. Had a 5 wood come in with some other clubs and loved it. Now waiting for a "matching" 3 wood that I bought on the bay. We are in full off season here and I've played 3 times a week the last few weeks. Rates are low at top of the line courses and I'm trying to take advantage before the season starts end of October. Been busy and staying out of trouble for the most part. Hope everyone here is well and getting in some playing time.

Best,

Tim

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.