2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Tiger Stinger

FutureOfTheTour

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='scott_Donald' timestamp='1380612379' post='7936209']
there is a big difference between his so called stinger and punching a 3 wood or 2 iron...
[/quote]

I don't think anyone on this thread was confusing what Tiger calls his 'stinger' with a punch, a 3/4 shot, or a smother half hook. This sort of snuck into the conversation without anyone troubling to explore what the terms of reference were.
In the UK we saw Tiger at his most awesome hitting his so-called stinger at the true links course of Hoylake at the Open. Now, for the Brits he was just hitting a flat out long iron harder than most had seen because of his athleticism, it was most impressive. But don't kid yourself he was making a different move or hitting a mechanically different shot to that played under windy links conditions year in, year out.
With deference to those who have made the links pilgrimage to the west, most haven't and only respond to what they think links conditions and shots are from books (lol) and videos. You don't have true 'made by God' links courses in the US, playing on them is an inspiring experience and to be recommended at least once in a lifetime of golf. It isn't possible to relate to links golf shots with background of golf on an ersatz parkland course!

It's a full swing with a very shallow AoA. You really need to go after it with the right shoulder- that's what smothers the ball and shallows out the AoA. Quite often, when I really go after one, that move will pull my right foot off the ground and the right leg will swing all the way round in front of my left foot like a roundhouse kick. When that happens it's 100% draw 10' off the ground.

In addition to not getting onto their left side (why hacks hit it fat), most duffers erroneously get steep when they put the ball waaay back in their stance to punch it and they literally hack down/punch into the dirt.

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

So does anyone want to get back to the topic at the beginning of the thread? The question was who has mastered the stinger, tiger stinger, low as heck, worm burning shot. I don't care what you call it!! This is not a discussion of who started it or who hits it best. It is for who has been successful and who has tried and failed.

Cobra Long Tom 8*, 45", Grafalloy black bird, tipped 3"
Titleist 906f2 13*, Fubuki Fuel Tour Spec X
Taylormade RAC TP MB 2iron w/ Project X 7.0
Taylormade RAC TP MB 3-PW w/ KBS CTaper X
Cleveland 52* Project X 7.0
Nike vr forged 58* heel grind Project X 7.0

Sadly, its my guess, few. If for no other reason than so few actually carry 2 or 1 irons. I know a number of guys on here have them, just don't use them.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Swoosh-Thud' timestamp='1380639227' post='7937313']
It's a full swing with a very shallow AoA. You really need to go after it with the right shoulder- that's what smothers the ball and shallows out the AoA. Quite often, when I really go after one, that move will pull my right foot off the ground and the right leg will swing all the way round in front of my left foot like a roundhouse kick. When that happens it's 100% draw 10' off the ground.

In addition to not getting onto their left side (why hacks hit it fat), most duffers erroneously get steep when they put the ball waaay back in their stance to punch it and they literally hack down/punch into the dirt.
[/quote]

Excellent post !! You nailed it !!!

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Ive been playing a 712u 2i, its a lower shot thats fairly long and runs forever, I cannot get it to stay 15 ft off the ground. If it where not for that 712u, i would never play a 2i.

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='AlexGolf13' timestamp='1380693193' post='7941197']
[quote name='jdhallissey' timestamp='1380414806' post='7925459']
I honestly hit this shot a lot. I lay up with it on par 5s. It is safe
[/quote]

I do the same thing!
[/quote]

You lay up with a low 270 yard long iron that runs out a lot? How long are the par 5s that you play.

[quote name='puttingmatt' timestamp='1380646170' post='7937877']

[/quote]

Excellent post !! You nailed it !!!
[/quote]

Wah Hoo!!!!

I swap my 2 iron out for a Mizuno T-Zoid Pro II 15* 1 iron with PX 6.0 now and again. I know what you're talking about. On a hard & fast track its like 40.5" driver.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1380744504' post='7943675']
I swap my 2 iron out for a Mizuno T-Zoid Pro II 15* 1 iron with PX 6.0 now and again. I know what you're talking about. On a hard & fast track its like 40.5" driver.
[/quote]

My dad can still hit a Tommy Armour Silvet Scot 1 iron about 180 with about 75 yards of roll. I'll wax him on the score card at the end of the day, but every time I try to hit that thing I regret it. Unreal

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1380745865' post='7943761']
[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1380744504' post='7943675']
[/quote]

My dad can still hit a Tommy Armour Silvet Scot 1 iron about 180 with about 75 yards of roll. I'll wax him on the score card at the end of the day, but every time I try to hit that thing I regret it. Unreal
[/quote]

An old club member had that club, but don't recall the shaft. Anyway, every time we tee'd it up it was a fun day for both of us. He was twenty years younger, and carried that club instead of a 3wd. I was thrilled watching him with that club, as he was a big hitter with all clubs. He could get home in two on Par 5's using it. I've always been one that appreciates target skill vs spraying.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='nochct1' timestamp='1380715198' post='7941541']
[/quote]

I do the same thing!
[/quote]

You lay up with a low 270 yard long iron that runs out a lot? How long are the par 5s that you play.
[/quote]
My normal par 5 is 550ish to 580ish. most par 4's I have been playing range from 440-490. 72xx is about the norm. Home course now I play is 7289 I think it plays farther because I can't get a driver or 3 wood to run out in a fairway so I do a LOT of laying up to just throw wedges into them. If I make it to the range tomorrow I will hit the 3 iron screamer and get it on video and post it. Problem is once my bag got stolen my 2 iron went with it. I am going to buy a set of 714's MBs with a extra 3 iron and rip it to 18 degrees so I have a 2 iron again I miss that damn club.

So video possibly tomorrow or forsure friday and I will do it with any club you want. Hell I can even do the gary player walk out driver lol. So you tell me, 3 wood and 3 iron good enough?

Learned to hit the shot by watching some old footage of Jimmy Demaret. Here is the club I most commonly use for the shot, club nicknamed 'the stingerator ' years ago by playing partner who passed from ALS, so even though don't hit shot frequently, when I do execute it properly it always brings smile to my face.

[attachment=1898989:post-2251-1262037552-2_thumb.jpg]

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

[quote name='jdhallissey' timestamp='1380778743' post='7946085']
[quote name='nochct1' timestamp='1380715198' post='7941541']
[/quote]

I do the same thing!
[/quote]

[/quote]
My normal par 5 is 550ish to 580ish. most par 4's I have been playing range from 440-490. 72xx is about the norm. Home course now I play is 7289 I think it plays farther because I can't get a driver or 3 wood to run out in a fairway so I do a LOT of laying up to just throw wedges into them. If I make it to the range tomorrow I will hit the 3 iron screamer and get it on video and post it. Problem is once my bag got stolen my 2 iron went with it. I am going to buy a set of 714's MBs with a extra 3 iron and rip it to 18 degrees so I have a 2 iron again I miss that damn club.

So video possibly tomorrow or forsure friday and I will do it with any club you want. Hell I can even do the gary player walk out driver lol. So you tell me, 3 wood and 3 iron good enough?
[/quote]

So you play a 570 yard par 5 and hit 270 yard lay ups with a long iron stinger? That's just poor course management? Why would you want to lay up w a shot that runs out? That just brings trouble into play.
I assume that you know the difference between a low knockdown and a "stinger?"

[quote name='nochct1' timestamp='1380801863' post='7946467']
So you play a 570 yard par 5 and hit 270 yard lay ups with a long iron stinger? That's just poor course management?
[/quote]

That doesn't make sense. This is wrx. A 340 yard drive should leave a smooth 7-iron with a baby fade to the pin and a 4' putt for eagle....

[quote name='nochrome' timestamp='1380780126' post='7946115']
Learned to hit the shot by watching some old footage of Jimmy Demaret. Here is the club I most commonly use for the shot, club nicknamed 'the stingerator ' years ago by playing partner who passed from ALS, so even though don't hit shot frequently, when I do execute it properly it always brings smile to my face.

[/quote]

Founders Club made some fine clubs, especially blades.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Lol I am on trackman at 265-270 in the air all day everyday with driver. I hit it high with NO ROLL. I can hit a ball with three wood 250 in the air but again I am a high ball hitter so there is no roll. I would much rather lay up with a shot that stays low and runs forever as I strip it down the middle then hitting say a 5 iron-7 iron that will float. No I am not the WXRer who claims to hit is 300 plus when I miss it. I hit pretty much normal distances as everybody else not on this board. On the courses I play down here in Florida right now even when I hit a runner it might roll out 30 yards. In the midwest was the same thing. Only place i got roll out was in AZ, Cali, Vegas.

We are not even going to get into the guys on tour hitting balls that roll for miles because if you think they can do that whenever they want you are wrong. 99 percent of the courses they play the fairways are most likely faster and firmer then the greens they play on. On that note we will leave that thread alone and back to hitting a full swing slightly hood long iron that stays stupid low.

[quote name='jdhallissey' timestamp='1380816641' post='7947633']
Lol I am on trackman at 265-270 in the air all day everyday with driver. I hit it high with NO ROLL. I can hit a ball with three wood 250 in the air but again I am a high ball hitter so there is no roll. I would much rather lay up with a shot that stays low and runs forever as I strip it down the middle then hitting say a 5 iron-7 iron that will float. No I am not the WXRer who claims to hit is 300 plus when I miss it. I hit pretty much normal distances as everybody else not on this board. On the courses I play down here in Florida right now even when I hit a runner it might roll out 30 yards. In the midwest was the same thing. [u]Only place i got roll out was in AZ, Cali, Vegas[/u].

We are not even going to get into the guys on tour hitting balls that roll for miles because if you think they can do that whenever they want you are wrong. 99 percent of the courses they play the fairways are most likely faster and firmer then the greens they play on. On that note we will leave that thread alone and back to hitting a full swing slightly hood long iron that stays stupid low.
[/quote]

I live in SoCA and travel. You're right about roll-out and AZ, CA and NV. I will add HI, TX and NM, plus certain tracks in UT and MI.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I have never had a ball really roll out even in MI. Tho I never did play Arcadia bluffs in the summer. Also when I played Whistling the fairways were wet and soft there too. I will add that I have hit my 2 iron over 300 yards when I played in Ireland and Scotland. Those were the fastest fairways I have ever seen in my life. Those Palm Desert/springs area get fast in the summer too lol.

[quote name='jdhallissey' timestamp='1380817543' post='7947713']
I have never had a ball really roll out even in MI. Tho I never did play Arcadia bluffs in the summer. Also when I played Whistling the fairways were wet and soft there too. I will add that I have hit my 2 iron over 300 yards when I played in Ireland and Scotland. Those were the fastest fairways I have ever seen in my life. Those Palm Desert/springs area get fast in the summer too lol.
[/quote]

There are a couple of muni tracks in lower MI, north of Detroit, that get pretty dried out at times. We're heading to Scotland for 3-4 weeks in the near future. I am looking forward to putting my 2i to another test. I visit La Quinta monthly and you are right; some of the better tracks get mighty fast, especially during summer hot months. Recently, the run out on the Classic Club was unbelievable; I felt like a 30 something knuckle dragger. :lol:

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1380819892' post='7947907']
[quote name='jdhallissey' timestamp='1380817543' post='7947713']
[/quote]

There are a couple of muni tracks in lower MI, north of Detroit, that get pretty dried out at times. We're heading to Scotland for 3-4 weeks in the near future. I am looking forward to putting my 2i to another test. I visit La Quinta monthly and you are right; some of the better tracks get mighty fast, especially during summer hot months. Recently, the run out on the Classic Club was unbelievable; I felt like a 30 something knuckle dragger. :lol:
[/quote]

today in florida I just put my new shaft to work and felt like I was 19 again with the roll after the ball landed. I was a kid in a candy store! You better take pictures on your trip and if you don't well I will make sure we ban you from the board LOL Have fun over there.

[/quote]

This may be a "way" of hitting it, but if you ever watch the slo-mo video of it, it's certainly not a shallow AoA at impact that Woods uses. Not to mention, it was stated by Foley at one time that the AoA was somewhere in the low double digits.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL76OQ7ITmw[/media]

That is not shallow by any means.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3