2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The NBA basketball thread 2013-2014

MtlJeff

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1399177627' post='9227721']If the Clippers lose this game the NBA and Staples should force them to remove the posters covering the banners and legends.[/quote]

There's still :50 or so left in this game but the Clippers are the best team in the league right now IMO.. They're solid everywhere and their bench is ridiculously deep.

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1399182045' post='9227935']Blake= Top 5 talent

D'Andre better get most improved and defensive player of the year, he deserves both.

*Edit* just saw both awards were already handed out. Bummer....[/quote]

I've seen you throw out top 5 talent numerous times. What exactly do you mean?

My wife and I are huge fans of Blake Griffin, but in terms of raw talent and not athleticism, I have a hard time believing he's top 5 in the league.

Top 5 in athleticism? Absolutely, all day every day.

In terms of raw talent, I think there are several guys ahead of him:

LeBron, Curry, Durant, CP3, Aldridge, Duncan, Dirk, Love, etc.

I guess I'd just need you to define talent for me. His jumper has come a long ways, but he still has a long ways to go as well. His athleticism still bails him out of a lot of situations.

[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1399184349' post='9228017']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1399182045' post='9227935']Blake= Top 5 talent

D'Andre better get most improved and defensive player of the year, he deserves both.

My wife and I are huge fans of Blake Griffin, but in terms of raw talent and not athleticism, I have a hard time believing he's top 5 in the league.

I guess I'd just need you to define talent for me. His jumper has come a long ways, but he still has a long ways to go as well. His athleticism still bails him out of a lot of situations.
[/quote]

My top 5 is the folllowing

Lebron
KD
Davis
Westbrook
Melo

I Did have Blake 3rd in my MVP count this year.

[quote name='TheGameChanger' timestamp='1399184523' post='9228023'][quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1399184349' post='9228017']

[/quote]

My top 5 is the folllowing

Lebron
KD
Davis
Westbrook
Melo

I Did have Blake 3rd in my MVP count this year.[/quote]

I completely forgot about Davis myself. Westbrook was close for me as well..

I'm just not sure I understand what he means by "top 5 talent."

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1399182045' post='9227935']
Blake= Top 5 talent

*Edit* just saw both awards were already handed out. Bummer....
[/quote]

I'd be OK with him winning MIP. I think Doc was being a bit ambitious with his DPOY comments though, he's certainly very good, not sure he's in Noah's stratosphere yet. Noah doesn't have the highlight reel shot blocks but he's always in great position. Guys like him and Marc Gasol don't stand out unless you watch them exclusively

I've seen a ton of Bulls games, often what i'll do is just watch Noah for 10-12 straight possesions, you can see how good he is at disrupting plays without doing anything highlight worthy

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Dear NBA point guard, you know who you are. I'm sorry i ever doubted you

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1399172543' post='9227359']
Westbrook with a triple double while shooting over 50% from the field with 16 assists. That's why you can't trade the guy IMO. His upside is incredible.
[/quote]

Best game of his career, and yes this game is what makes him so frustrating. No way he needs to shoot 31 times in a game. So many times yesterday he got into the lane and kicked it out, or found a big guy....if he's not shooting well ....DO THAT!!!!!

27-16-10-2-1 ....that's quite a line. He had 7 turnovers too but you'll take that when he plays like this. I mean Durant had 5 turnovers too, and the Grizz are a great defense

I feel like if he [i]really [/i]wanted to, he could average 19-10-8 or something for a season. And OKC would almost certainly be a better team...

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

So looking like the matchup everyone wanted in the East. Miami-Brooklyn. The Nets i believe were 4-0 against Miami this year. Obviously the former Celtics, if they get up for anything, it's playing Lebron. And Johnson presents matchup problems there too, as he does in any playoff series, being a 6-7 guard who can post up.

I also think Washington - Indiana will go 6-7 games. I feel like it's kind of a trap to pick Washington. Paul George had an OK Atlanta series, Hibbert just had a good game 7, and Washington cant stretch the floor like Atlanta can in terms of bigs. Hibbert should be a factor.

I guess the logical pick is Miami-Washington. But it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Pacers snuck through again in 7 games

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1399227059' post='9229751']
Blake= Top 5 talent

[/quote]

I'd be OK with him winning MIP. I think Doc was being a bit ambitious with his DPOY comments though, he's certainly very good, not sure he's in Noah's stratosphere yet. Noah doesn't have the highlight reel shot blocks but he's always in great position. Guys like him and Marc Gasol don't stand out unless you watch them exclusively

I've seen a ton of Bulls games, often what i'll do is just watch Noah for 10-12 straight possesions, you can see how good he is at disrupting plays without doing anything highlight worthy
[/quote]

Yes. Please watch Noah before you watch Jordan. The difference is night and day. Jordan has been a great on ball defender/weak side block shot guy this year - but Noah is everywhere.

Dragic received MOP like two weeks ago. I didnt' think that was close either - he was darn near and MVP candidate this year.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

Blake= Top 5 talent

[/quote]

Blake is top 5 talent for lowering shoulder and giving stiff arms. He's the leagues' best fullback.

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

[quote name='tatertot' timestamp='1399297896' post='9234543']
Blake= Top 5 talent

[/quote]

Blake is top 5 talent for lowering shoulder and giving stiff arms. He's the leagues' best fullback.
[/quote]

as much as I despise blake griffin (STOP FLOPPING! YOU DON'T NEED TO!), the guy is a talented scorer around the basket.

[quote name='tocino' timestamp='1399301879' post='9234891']
[quote name='tatertot' timestamp='1399297896' post='9234543']
Blake= Top 5 talent

[/quote]

[/quote]

as much as I despise blake griffin (STOP FLOPPING! YOU DON'T NEED TO!), the guy is a talented scorer around the basket.
[/quote]

He's as strong as a bull and can finish on some awkward shots. He's no Kevin McHale/Adrian Dantley talent.

I'm not saying i'm anywhere close to being as good as Blake but one thing I liked to do when i played a lot was drive to the basket with the intent of getting contact before I would put a shot up. Blake does the same except for the times he's just trying to dunk over you. That's why I thought it was funny last saturday when he drove into draymond on a fastbreak but draymond avoided the contact and he ended up falling onto the floor.

[quote name='TheGameChanger' timestamp='1399286795' post='9233809']
I Can't wait for Free Agency
[/quote]

I'm anxious about Toronto, Lowry had a great playoffs, he's not a max player but his agent will probably ask for near max. I want Lowry, but want him at 10-12M for 4 years.

Patterson and Vasquez were important too. Ideally they keep all 3.

If the lose Patterson i'd like to see them go after a Spencer Hawes type. Big guys who can shoot are great

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1399232201' post='9230089']So looking like the matchup everyone wanted in the East. Miami-Brooklyn. The Nets i believe were 4-0 against Miami this year. Obviously the former Celtics, if they get up for anything, it's playing Lebron. And Johnson presents matchup problems there too, as he does in any playoff series, being a 6-7 guard who can post up.

I also think Washington - Indiana will go 6-7 games. I feel like it's kind of a trap to pick Washington. Paul George had an OK Atlanta series, Hibbert just had a good game 7, and Washington cant stretch the floor like Atlanta can in terms of bigs. Hibbert should be a factor.

I guess the logical pick is Miami-Washington. But it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Pacers snuck through again in 7 games[/quote]

Astute observations Jeff. As a long-suffering Bullets fan, I sure do hope you are wrong however.

After watching Game 1 this evening, I can see the series going at least 6. Really hope the good guy wizards can pull it out. :)

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

How can Roy hibbert suck this much?

18 min.
0 points
0 rebounds
5 fouls

[quote name='tatertot' timestamp='1399344365' post='9239751']

18 min.
0 points
0 rebounds
5 fouls
[/quote]

did you watch the pacers first round series at all? dude is the first all-star to get shut out of consecutive playoff games since naismith. i hope the pacers play him as much as possible. :D

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1399344638' post='9239783']
[quote name='tatertot' timestamp='1399344365' post='9239751']

18 min.
0 points
0 rebounds
5 fouls
[/quote]

did you watch the pacers first round series at all? dude is the first all-star to get shut out of consecutive playoff games since naismith. i hope the pacers play him as much as possible. :D
[/quote]

I know ... But his level of suck continues to impress.

BTW ... CP3 will never miss another trey. Ever.

Anyone else getting tired of watching Griffin lower his shoulder and just bulling his way down low. I'm sorry, but when you lead with that shoulder and initiate contact, it should be an offensive foul. Reminds me of Shaq backing people down with his butt. The defender has a right to his position also.

There were a few posts a while back discussing whether he is a top five talent. He's crazy athletic, but there are so many out there with so much better refined basketball skills.

Have to love the "head flop" too, throwing it back like he just really got hit hard. Quite the actor.

Is the NBA going to get a cut of the Clippers if they auction them off. The way their games are being officiated it appears the league would like a title in LA to boost the final price. They are really getting a boatload of calls.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1399378879' post='9241053']
Anyone else getting tired of watching Griffin lower his shoulder and just bulling his way down low. I'm sorry, but when you lead with that shoulder and initiate contact, it should be an offensive foul. Reminds me of Shaq backing people down with his butt. The defender has a right to his position also.

There were a few posts a while back discussing whether he is a top five talent. He's crazy athletic, but there are so many out there with so much better refined basketball skills.

Have to love the "head flop" too, throwing it back like he just really got hit hard. Quite the actor.

Is the NBA going to get a cut of the Clippers if they auction them off. The way their games are being officiated it appears the league would like a title in LA to boost the final price. They are really getting a boatload of calls.
[/quote]

Blake isn't even in the top 5 of the flopper/exaggeration foul list - ironically, it's a lot of the "great players" that do this - LeBron & Wade are probably the biggest offenders, Harden, CP3, etc. I hate it as well, but initiating contact isn't an offensive foul. The stuff that I really hate, that's not basketball or gamesmenship, is the stuff after the whistle and cheap shots. Blake (the stupied holding Ibaka with his feet tripping thing) is in that group along with Patrick Beverly, etc.

NBA won't get a cut. They are appointting a temporary CEO to run the operations until the sale. At the sale, the sale price will go to Sterling. They can't come in a seize property, but can make you sell (apparently), if you don't abide by the rules of the organizations (NBA), which wasn't reported earlier and not in the guidelines.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang