NIKE 2014 Ball Review

[quote name='pr1mo990' timestamp='1385765823' post='8226220']
Maybe I'm wrong about this but I don't get why people are looking to this ball and others because the pro v1's are too expensive at ~$47 dozen plus tax when the RZN black and platinum will cost $45 dozen plus tax, so they're basically the same price
[/quote]
$2 can feed a family of six for an entire month in impoverished parts of Africa. Donate the saved dollars to Sally Struthers and enjoy the RZN Blacks.

Titleist TS3 8.5 HZDRUS 60 6.5
Titleist TS3 15 HZDRUS 70 6.5
Titleist 818H2 19 Aldila Phenom HYB 85 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 UT 21 KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 4-PW KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind and 58/8 C Grind KBS $Taper 120 S
Scotty Cameron Futura X 35"
Titleist Pro V1x

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='dcosby' timestamp='1385760199' post='8225918']
[quote name='awil' timestamp='1385758610' post='8225836']
I'll give the new balls a shot . I happen to be one off the few that loved the original ball . I thought it was super consistent around the greens and last years was not consistent at all . [attachment=1967842:image.jpg]
[/quote]

I have 19 dozen I'll sell you for $10 a dozen.
[/quote]
I'll let you know !

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @_aaron_wilson

[quote][color=#111111]
The ball is insanely good (and I’m not the only one who thinks so). As guys returned from the golf course, the new ball very quickly became the most talked about [i]innovation[/i] of the entire event.[/color][color=#111111]
In just over an hour I went from thinking that Nike’s ball guys were probably full of s*** to being mostly convinced that Nike had finally figured “the ball thing” out.[/color]
[/quote][color=#111111]
That was a quote from Not allowed because of spam. Glad to see WRX isn't the only people who like the new ball. I think this ball is going to have a ton of hype for 2014. I just hope they lower the price from what is being rumored @ 45$ a dozen to 40$ but it will never happen.[/color]

I'm really looking forward to the new golf balls coming out, specifically the One Rzn Platinum & One Rzn Black... I've been playing the One Tour D & One Tour since 2009 & despite trying to really like both generations of the 20XI's, I just couldn't play them. They felt too firm & were too loud off of the clubface. The review of them on here makes me want to play the One Rzn Platinum & the price is right on par with the other high end golf balls. Really would love to read the review about TW's prototype One Rzn Platinum he's testing (saw it on Golfweek's website & in this thread) & if he'll ultimately end up playing it.

[quote name='mgholda' timestamp='1385766279' post='8226244']
[quote name='pr1mo990' timestamp='1385765823' post='8226220']
Maybe I'm wrong about this but I don't get why people are looking to this ball and others because the pro v1's are too expensive at ~$47 dozen plus tax when the RZN black and platinum will cost $45 dozen plus tax, so they're basically the same price
[/quote]
$2 can feed a family of six for an entire month in impoverished parts of Africa. Donate the saved dollars to Sally Struthers and enjoy the RZN Blacks.
[/quote]
haha thanks for clearing that up!

Titleist 917D2 10.5˚ - GD Tour AD TP-6
Titleist 915F 15˚ - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70
Titleist 915F 18˚ - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70
Titleist 816H1 21˚ - GD Tour AD HY 85
Nike VRS Forged 5-PW - Project X PXi
Vokey SM6 Raw 50F, 55S, 60V
Scotty Cameron 009 SSS

[quote name='nova6868' timestamp='1385763774' post='8226080']
[quote name='cameronprine' timestamp='1385593744' post='8218304']
Sorry about the delay guys on the TW prototype review, had some family stuff pop up. Review will be on Friday at 10 a.m that's a promise
[/quote]

I hold you in contempt of GolfWRX court, Sir.
[/quote]

Dear CPrine,

I hope your family is ok. Your family here at GolfWRX is really in need of your TW proto review. It's the only thing that will get me through work.

Can't wait to try out the black and platinum!

Taylormade M1 10.5* Aldila Rogue Max 65x
Taylormade M2 Tour 3W Aldila Rogue 110 MSI 70x
Mizuno MP18 (3-PW) X100-TI
Taylormade Milled Grind 52, 56, 60
Taylormade Spider Tour 

Nike Fans: Get Cash Back on Online Purchases
http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=794894"]http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=794894

[quote name='cameronprine' timestamp='1385423124' post='8206842']
I will start this by saying that I am a Nike staffed PGA Professional, so it is easy for me to compare these golf balls to their other products. I got 2 dozen of each as my Christmas gift from my rep and now that I am returning from Florida I had a good chance to review them.

I played all my tournaments in 2013 with the 2013 20xi ball, which I felt was a huge improvement over the first generation. I play to a plus 2.7 handicap and my basic launch numbers with my driver are 121 mph clubhead speed average, 180 ball speed but I launch the ball low with a lot of spin. I was initially excited to try the Black to see if I could drop my spin numbers off the tee and to see if the ball launched slightly higher.
I will break down this review by ball and in categories of Driver Performance, Irons/Wedges, Feel, and Likeliness to put in my bag.

NIKE RZN Black:
Driver: Due to me tracking with my Bushnell Tour V3 and a SkyCaddie, I averaged 312 yards off the tee with the Black. It launched at a height similar to a ProV1x. It seemed to release about ten to fifteen yards on well struck drives and was very stable in the wind.

Iron/Wedge: This is where the Black surprised me. It felt softer then any distance oriented tour ball I have ever played but it gave me about a club longer then my current gamer ball. The ball was fairly stable in the wind, but I was more impressed with the spin it offered around the greens. I was able to able to stick anything 7 iron and under right where I wanted to with a dead hand shot and the ball backed up about 3 to 5 feet with a normal swing with those clubs. 7 and 6 iron shots stopped dead and my 5 and 4 irons took about two hops and stopped. It was very predictable and easy to control.

Feel: I know this is the most personal aspect of testing any piece of equipment, but the infamous click of the 20xi balls is long gone. These sounded and felt great.

Likeliness to be in bag: I would say that I prefer a very soft ball but if I ever needed a bit extra distance on any given day, these will surely be in my bag.

NIKE RZN Platinum:
Driver: This ball was totally different off the tee then the Black, but not in a bad way. I averaged 307 which is not bad, but this ball launched slightly lower but instead of being a fairly straight shooting golf ball, I could work the Platinum left, right, high or low and that was a huge advantage.

Iron/Wedge: The Platinum was by far the best ball I have ever played with my irons. I was about a half club longer then my 20xi gamer ball. The spin control was unreal, and I will tell you exactly why. I enjoy shaping shots, and I had a 186 yard shot which was a little bit into the wind, with a back right pin location on a green that ran a bit away from me. I hit a cutting 7 iron that started off low and rose into the air, landed about 3 feet past the pin, took a jump forward and backed up about ten feet into the hole. It was a lucky shot, but I was surprised how the ball reacted when it hit the green. I played everything about ten to fifteen feet past the hole on full swings and I was hole high all day, and I could get the ball to stop dead on my dead hand shots that I play to kill spin.

Feel: This ball felt like you were hitting a long marshmallow. It was extremely soft of the face of my irons and wedges, but still gave me a fairly solid feel with my driver, 3 wood and hybrid. It did not click like the 20xi balls, and I was thoroughly impressed with their overall performance.

Likeliness to be in bag: Guys, I lied. These are my new gamer. The 2013 20xi ball is out. The Platinum offers everything I am looking for in a golf ball.

Well thank you for reading this, and if you have any questions or comments please post them! Thank you!!
[/quote]

Where do you play most of your golf in Ohio?

[quote name='LittleLeftToRight' timestamp='1385962349' post='8235596']

This is not to say that the new balls aren't good, but [b]it is difficult to ascertain that information based on a biased source[/b]. I hope the new balls are good. Hell I'll try anything and if I like them I will switch from my current favs, the Callaway Black/Z star XV. Both of which are available off the shelf. No one gave me free balls to say that either. Nike has a lot going for it these days and into the future. They are like the Samsung/Sony/Apple of golf. They are just not there yet. I don't doubt that some of the best stuff in the future will be made my them.
[/quote]

um, OK.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='DMarrero' timestamp='1385847485' post='8229608']
[quote name='nova6868' timestamp='1385763774' post='8226080']
[quote name='cameronprine' timestamp='1385593744' post='8218304']
Sorry about the delay guys on the TW prototype review, had some family stuff pop up. Review will be on Friday at 10 a.m that's a promise
[/quote]

I hold you in contempt of GolfWRX court, Sir.
[/quote]

Dear CPrine,

I hope your family is ok. Your family here at GolfWRX is really in need of your TW proto review. It's the only thing that will get me through work.
[/quote]

I don't think DMarrero made it through work. I heard he was fired.

This is what happens when people don't post reviews of the new TW proto ball...

[quote name='cameronprine' timestamp='1385432951' post='8207906']
[quote name='Nelly32' timestamp='1385431111' post='8207684']
Great review. I know whats going on my xmas list
[/quote]
I would honestly say to anyone on here just to test them and give them a try. A lot of people are close minded when it comes to Nike as far as golf products go and they honestly are producing some great stuff right now
[/quote]

I don't think that I am closed minded about Nike golf. I have given all of their RZN balls a try but they have all felt very hard to me, which in my mind translates to an unforgiving ball. Do these newer versions feel any different that the previous. Obviously I know that feel is personal and subjective, so just give me what you personally felt was the difference in feel is between the new balls ad the previous RZN balls.

Thanks for the review!!

Thanks to Nike golf and WRX for the test and review opportunity.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

Lesmond, can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Platinum and the Black. Currently, what ball are you playing?

TSR3 8 Tour AD UB 6

TSR2+ 14.5 Tour AD CQ 7

TSR2 21 Tour AD DI 85

U505 4 Tour AD DI 95

T200 5-6 Steelfiber i110

T150 7-GW Steelfiber i110
Vokey SM10 54F/60M Steelfiber i110
Scotty Cameron Timeless TT Circle T

Pro V1

[quote name='Aces-6' timestamp='1387415541' post='8320765']
Lesmond, can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Platinum and the Black. Currently, what ball are you playing?
[/quote]

Currently using Nike RZN and the 20XI

I prefer to RZN to than the 20XI. Hopefully these 2014 models will be nice as well

I want some.
Come on let's see the reviews.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[b]RZN BLACK[/b] - initial thoughts compared to the balls I currently use (Lethal, 20Xi-X, and '13 Pro V1x)

I played this ball today and it is very solid. It is much softer than the 20Xi-X and performance was very solid. The ball was very dependable and very "plug & play". I only have 1 round in with it so far but just wanted to add my initial thoughts. I will add more as I get more time in with them and the Platinum. I would say that overall this ball is a very nice improvement over the 20Xi-X. I have always said that that Xi-X is a great performing ball, it just feels and sounds like a rock when you hit it. The cover is noticeably softer than the Xi-X and feel and sound are improved. It's still a little firmer than the Lethal, but I'm hoping the Platinum feels better on the course. Trajectory and spin off the driver was as expected, nothing really jumped out at me but it was very good overall and I could definitely put it straight in with no learning curve. Performance off all irons was definitely solid and feel is great, much better than the Xi-X, very smooth feeling.. and ball flight is stable. Wedges spin very well, but not as much spin as I would like around the greens.. I really have been liking the Lethal, the ProV1x I have found to spin way too much with 70-110 yard wedge shots, the RZN Black is really good from those #'s but not as good around the greens.. again, I need a little more time to hit more shots and pitches. Off the putter - definitely a lot better than the Xi-X.

I rolled a few with each, the Platinum is definitely better off the putter, I'm just hoping it spins more around the greens but everything else is similar to the Black. So far so good with the RZN Black, a great ball!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

I think to start I am going to play with the black and white RZN balls first. Then eventually play the platinum and black.

Hope I don't lose any... Only have 3 of each ;)

But overall, I am excited to try them!

Good initial review Pure, thanks. I liked everything about the '13 20xi-X except that God awful feel. It was/is the worst feeling premium ball that I have ever put a club face on. I really wanted to play that ball but I just couldn't overcome the feel. Would you say the new RZN Black is comprehensively softer than the '13 X or just marginally?

Thanks

TSR3 8 Tour AD UB 6

TSR2+ 14.5 Tour AD CQ 7

TSR2 21 Tour AD DI 85

U505 4 Tour AD DI 95

T200 5-6 Steelfiber i110

Pro V1

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1387424639' post='8321451']
[b]RZN BLACK[/b] - initial thoughts compared to the balls I currently use (Lethal, 20Xi-X, and '13 Pro V1x)

I played this ball today and it is very solid. It is much softer than the 20Xi-X and performance was very solid. The ball was very dependable and very "plug & play". I only have 1 round in with it so far but just wanted to add my initial thoughts. I will add more as I get more time in with them and the Platinum. I would say that overall this ball is a very nice improvement over the 20Xi-X. I have always said that that Xi-X is a great performing ball, it just feels and sounds like a rock when you hit it. The cover is noticeably softer than the Xi-X and feel and sound are improved. It's still a little firmer than the Lethal, but I'm hoping the Platinum feels better on the course. Trajectory and spin off the driver was as expected, nothing really jumped out at me but it was very good overall and I could definitely put it straight in with no learning curve. Performance off all irons was definitely solid and feel is great, much better than the Xi-X, very smooth feeling.. and ball flight is stable. Wedges spin very well, but not as much spin as I would like around the greens.. I really have been liking the Lethal, the ProV1x I have found to spin way too much with 70-110 yard wedge shots, the RZN Black is really good from those #'s but not as good around the greens.. again, I need a little more time to hit more shots and pitches. Off the putter - definitely a lot better than the Xi-X.

I rolled a few with each, the Platinum is definitely better off the putter, I'm just hoping it spins more around the greens but everything else is similar to the Black. So far so good with the RZN Black, a great ball!
[/quote]
Thanks for your initial thoughts. I can't wait to hear about the platinum. I hope it's longer then the original platinum. That ball spun great but It was shorter then any ball at that time for me.

So was the black just as long and spins just as much as the Xi-X?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Mentioned this in the other thread for the new release. If anyone is looking for specific info on the new balls and how they compare, I just got my trial pack to test and review. I play the 20XI-S, Vapor Speeds, and 20XI-X and plan to compare to them over a couple rounds.

Let me know what else you want to hear!

Great mini review Pure.. thanks for the intimidation on writing my own.

Driver - Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5˚ AD-DI 6s
3W - Taylormade 2016 M1 15˚
3H -Nike Sasquatch Sumo 2
4-P - Nike Vapor Pro Modus 120 Stiff
Wedges - Nike Engage Square 52˚ 56˚ Dual Sole 60˚
Putter - Nike Method 001
Ball - Nike RZN Platinum
Bag - Nike Vapor Air Hybrid Carry

Twitter - @CoreyMilstein
Instagram - @CoreyMilstein

[quote name='Aces-6' timestamp='1387457109' post='8322251']
Good initial review Pure, thanks. I liked everything about the '13 20xi-X except that God awful feel. It was/is the worst feeling premium ball that I have ever put a club face on. I really wanted to play that ball but I just couldn't overcome the feel. Would you say the new RZN Black is comprehensively softer than the '13 X or just marginally?

Thanks
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly.. feel was unbearable. Performance with the Lethal was good enough and felt 100x's better than the Nike, but I really love the performance of the Xi-X. The cover on the RZN Black is noticeably softer.. you can "squish" the cover with your fingernail is how much softer it is. I am playing Friday and will be using the RZN Platinum and will give another review after I play. I'm thinking the Platinum might be the ball.. I'm not really a ball snob, and usually will play the best ball I can get for the best deal, which has been the Lethal :)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Thanks for the knowledge, Pure. It sounds like I will at least have to try it out once it becomes available. I'm also interested to hear your opinion of the Platinum, I suspect it's going to be a real hit.

TSR3 8 Tour AD UB 6

TSR2+ 14.5 Tour AD CQ 7

TSR2 21 Tour AD DI 85

U505 4 Tour AD DI 95

T200 5-6 Steelfiber i110

Pro V1

Not an initial review......let's call it a ultra mini- touchy feely review.....full with pics review upcoming.

UPS box sitting on the counter and to my delight, a dozen of the new Nike RZN golf balls. As seen in other posts, one 'lleeve of each ball.The touch part revealed that the black and platinum have a Tour quality tackiness to them. I'm to assume this is for greenside spin.
The white and red both had a harder, slicker feel.Next the all important "bite" test.....my wife almost gagged.Again the Tour level balls presented with softer covers as expected.

Tile drop test : red and white sounded softer and bounced higher.

With brand new fresh out of the wrapper VR Forged 60* I preceeded to hit each ball from 5 different spots to pins on practice green.....without boring all on every shot, I'll give the rankings:

Platinum
Black
White
Red

The red felt too soft and muted with not much action requiring trajectory for every shot. Black and platinum both had a click but not nearly as bad as previous 20xi balls. Both balls checked nicely with white being softer but less spinny.

Putting. ....I'm a die putter and the platinum required more hit than other 3.

Mini initial overall rankings:
Black
White
Platinum
Red.

This is strictly based on a 15 minute sample with new wedge and putter. The black was most consistent but on course iron play will shake up the list.......more to follow.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Played a Par 3, 9 holes at night(there's a course near me with lights). I wanted to test the RZN white ball. Here's what I though of it so far.

Used only wedges to 7 iron. Didn't use with any woods yet.

As expected of a soft ball, real responsive on the greens. Sort of windy, so lots of chipping since ball got knocked down in air.

Had about 3-4 "drop-and-stop" chips near the pin!

Hopefully I can get out and play 18 with the other balls, ready to test out the Black and Platinum.

RZN white after 8 holes.