2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Thinking of joining a Country Club

So the last few years, I was gifted with two wonderful and amazing kids. I was getting away with playing at least once a week with my first 3 years ago, but the second one came 16 months later. Last summer I tried to play once a week to keep my sanity, but felt pretty bad about leaving the kids at home with the mom, so I started looking at country clubs with pools for the kids to wade in and meet other kids while I slap the ball around for a few holes. Now, are there any current CC Members that feel constrained by playing mostly at one track because of the dues?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SImilar situation in california with a new baby... Joined a club with lots of family programming and it's been great. My club has three 9's so that helps and a great practice facility.

Look into a club that is part of a network like club corp. I travel for work and get to play essentially free rounds at country clubs all over the country as part of the reciprocal network. Well worth it for me so far. My club even has a day care facility... Nothing like Saturday brunch with my one year old and then letting her play with other kids at daycare while I knock out 18 in 2.5 hours. That's the huge benefit of playing private. Fast rounds! You no longer have to commit entire days to golf. I find I actually play more holes now but spend way less time doing so.

[quote name='Bizzle80' timestamp='1388125079' post='8353487']
SImilar situation in california with a new baby... Joined a club with lots of family programming and it's been great. My club has three 9's so that helps and a great practice facility.

Look into a club that is part of a network like club corp. I travel for work and get to play essentially free rounds at country clubs all over the country as part of the reciprocal network. Well worth it for me so far. My club even has a day care facility... Nothing like Saturday brunch with my one year old and then letting her play with other kids at daycare while I knock out 18 in 2.5 hours. That's the huge benefit of playing private. Fast rounds! You no longer have to commit entire days to golf. I find I actually play more holes now but spend way less time doing so.
[/quote]

Where did you join, if you don't mind me asking?

[quote name='SilverLaker71' timestamp='1388191003' post='8356889']
[quote name='Bizzle80' timestamp='1388125079' post='8353487']

[/quote]

Where did you join, if you don't mind me asking?
[/quote]

Braemar. Really enjoying it too

Exact same situation for me. I joined a clubcorp club. It's about 3 miles from my house in Dallas. I'm able to play about 3-4 times/month. Thought being that I have a place close to take the kids to play a few holes when older (currently 2 year old and 1 month old). It's been great. I know golf will be harder and harder to come by but I wanted to take advantage of a great deal they were offering.

I've belonged to a CC for 16 years. With the economy what it is, it's gone from a semi snooty place to just a place to play golf. I used to think I would get tired of playing the same place, but that's never happened. Although there's still a weekend clique that plays in the AM, the wide open times more than make up for it, literally owning your own golf course. You can play an additional ball or hit mulligans all you want. I recall being yelled at by a public course owner for hitting a second tee shot after a flub on the first hole. The first ball didn't go 20 feet. No BS like that at a CC. Other types of BS abound, but not that.

Yesterday, I walked 12 holes on a closed, deserted course. Couldn't do that at any public or muni.

[quote name='jlam1127' timestamp='1388193113' post='8357071']
Appreciate your input. The clubs that I narrowed it down to has a Club Corp network, A Troon, and a Private Club network.. however the one I was most interested in decided not to renew their partnership with Private Club...so that's a bummer
[/quote]

I see you're a fellow New Englander! What clubs are you considering and what do you see as the pros and cons of each? I'm a member at a club north of Boston and am always interested in people's opinions and reviews on private clubs in the region.

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

Belong to a Club Corp club as well and made a similar decision last year. My kids are a little older but my son who is 8 is really getting into playing with me. Yesterday, we went out for a few holes at 1:30pm and before you know it we are cruising and end up playing all 18 holes. Such a great time and helps to justify the monthly when it is 2 in the family playing. Now, just have to get my wife out there. Haven't yet taken advantage of the One network but will aim to use it in 2014.

Ai Smoke Max Diamana PD

Work in progress...

ZX5 mk ii KBS Tour Lite

JAWS RAW KBS Tour

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0

[quote name='J LO ' timestamp='1388327588' post='8362377']
Belong to a Club Corp club as well and made a similar decision last year. My kids are a little older but my son who is 8 is really getting into playing with me. Yesterday, we went out for a few holes at 1:30pm and before you know it we are cruising and end up playing all 18 holes. Such a great time and helps to justify the monthly when it is 2 in the family playing. Now, just have to get my wife out there. Haven't yet taken advantage of the One network but will aim to use it in 2014.
[/quote]

Playing with the kids in the afternoon is what makes the private club experience worthwhile! Sure there are a ton of other advantages to being a member at a good club but I cherish the afternoon rounds with my son and enjoy seeing him develop and get better. I never really had that opportunity or kind of relationship with my dad. I just hope I can keep it going as he gets older and discovers other distractions :)

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

Couldn't have said it better...my son plays from my tee shot and counts them all in. As soon as he says he is done, we are out of there because i know that I can come back tomorrow and do it again. Beyond spending time with him, i enjoy early AM rounds on the weekends with friends, club tourneys, etc.

[quote name='MyShortGameSucks' timestamp='1388329802' post='8362479']
[quote name='J LO ' timestamp='1388327588' post='8362377']
[/quote]

Playing with the kids in the afternoon is what makes the private club experience worthwhile! Sure there are a ton of other advantages to being a member at a good club but I cherish the afternoon rounds with my son and enjoy seeing him develop and get better. I never really had that opportunity or kind of relationship with my dad. I just hope I can keep it going as he gets older and discovers other distractions :)
[/quote]

Ai Smoke Max Diamana PD

Work in progress...

ZX5 mk ii KBS Tour Lite

JAWS RAW KBS Tour

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0

Belonging to a family type country club is one of the best decisions I ever made. My wife would take the kids to the pool when they were young, I would go out and play golf, then meet them by the pool and have lunch. When they were around 2-4 years old, I would take them out to the course, get a cart, a drink, and a cookie, and play a few holes with them. They absolutely loved it, and I got credit for watching the kids. As they have gotten older, I now am able to play with them, and played this past year for the first time in the father-son tournament. Around 5pm on Saturdays and Sundays, we will have the golf course almost to ourselves. I was worried about playing the same course over and over again, but it has been well worth it. The key is finding the right club; there are plenty of clubs out there with less than friendly or accepting memberships, so you need to do your homework. The members will determine the kind of experience that you have. Good luck!!

In fact, if you look at my avatar, that was when my kids were 1 1/2 and 3 1/2 years old playing on the course. You can see my 1 1/2 year old just got tired and decided to lie down on the tee box.

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

[quote name='MyShortGameSucks' timestamp='1388322620' post='8362213']
Appreciate your input. The clubs that I narrowed it down to has a Club Corp network, A Troon, and a Private Club network.. however the one I was most interested in decided not to renew their partnership with Private Club...so that's a bummer
[/quote]

I see you're a fellow New Englander! What clubs are you considering and what do you see as the pros and cons of each? I'm a member at a club north of Boston and am always interested in people's opinions and reviews on private clubs in the region.
[/quote]

So I looked at Ipswich, Oakley, Blue Hills, TPC, and Spring Valley. Narrowed it down to SV and Blue Hills. I was about to sign on the dotted line at SV and then was dropped on me that they will not renew their membership with Private Club Network. SV has a deal where the first year is free, but you have to pay dues and initiation second year, so I was pretty much sold. Great club house, locker rooms, etc. but only 18 holes (Wes Welker, Cassel and Gotkowski were members there) As much as I travel for work, I'd like to have some type of reciprocal play. Soooooo.... BH came back into the mix and I will be doing my formal tour and Q& A tomorrow. They are also part of the Troon Network and have decided to waive Initiation for the first 2 years.....and they have a resort type pool which is AWESOME for the kids...they also have 18 and an additional 9 holes to I can switch it up. I was looking at a Social Membership with limited golf (so I don't feel obligated to just playing one course) and find that SV is a bit restrictive on when I can tee off as a Social, whereas BH was more lenient on when I can get out. Even as Social Member I can take advantage of the Troon Advantage program...

[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1388332972' post='8362695']
Belonging to a family type country club is one of the best decisions I ever made. My wife would take the kids to the pool when they were young, I would go out and play golf, then meet them by the pool and have lunch. When they were around 2-4 years old, I would take them out to the course, get a cart, a drink, and a cookie, and play a few holes with them. They absolutely loved it, and I got credit for watching the kids. As they have gotten older, I now am able to play with them, and played this past year for the first time in the father-son tournament. Around 5pm on Saturdays and Sundays, we will have the golf course almost to ourselves. I was worried about playing the same course over and over again, but it has been well worth it. The key is finding the right club; there are plenty of clubs out there with less than friendly or accepting memberships, so you need to do your homework. The members will determine the kind of experience that you have. Good luck!!

In fact, if you look at my avatar, that was when my kids were 1 1/2 and 3 1/2 years old playing on the course. You can see my 1 1/2 year old just got tired and decided to lie down on the tee box.
[/quote]

Dude, love your avatar....they look like they're fun to hang out with

[quote name='jlam1127' timestamp='1388454011' post='8370877']
[/quote]

[/quote]

So I looked at Ipswich, Oakley, Blue Hills, TPC, and Spring Valley. Narrowed it down to SV and Blue Hills. I was about to sign on the dotted line at SV and then was dropped on me that they will not renew their membership with Private Club Network. SV has a deal where the first year is free, but you have to pay dues and initiation second year, so I was pretty much sold. Great club house, locker rooms, etc. but only 18 holes (Wes Welker, Cassel and Gotkowski were members there) As much as I travel for work, I'd like to have some type of reciprocal play. Soooooo.... BH came back into the mix and I will be doing my formal tour and Q& A tomorrow. They are also part of the Troon Network and have decided to waive Initiation for the first 2 years.....and they have a resort type pool which is AWESOME for the kids...they also have 18 and an additional 9 holes to I can switch it up. I was looking at a Social Membership with limited golf (so I don't feel obligated to just playing one course) and find that SV is a bit restrictive on when I can tee off as a Social, whereas BH was more lenient on when I can get out. Even as Social Member I can take advantage of the Troon Advantage program...
[/quote]

Did Spring Valley get sold? They were in serious financial trouble a year or 2 ago and the bank was moving against them or trying to sell the mortgage.

OP,

If you're worried about playing the same course usually a private club will reciprocate with other clubs. If you become friendly with your club pro he/she can hook you up with some great deals where their professional friends work at. I don't think you'll have a problem getting bored with your home track. Another great bonus to a private club is obviously the practice facility. Not having to worry about paying for a bucket allows me to focus on what I need to get done rather than running out of balls. Lastly your family will all have a great time. I was fortunate enough to grow up with a private club. Even before I started playing I had some of the best times goofing off with my friends I made there at the swimming pool. This may not matter but if you want to introduce your kids to golf belonging to a club is a great place to start. I had never picked up a club and was about 10 or something. One day we were at the pool and some members were putting on the practice green nearby. Of course my curiosity was peaked and I've fallen in love with the game.

I apologize for the long winded answer but I feel strongly about the benefits golf/a club can have on you growing up. As long as the place isn't too snobby a private club is a great place for kids to grow up. Hope this helps!

Titleist 910 d3 9.5
Titleist 910 fd 13.5
Titleist 913 h 17
Mizuno MP 4 4-P
TVD 54 M, 61K
Newport 2 Midslant torched

[quote name='WilliamTighe' timestamp='1388508823' post='8374103']
OP,

If you're worried about playing the same course usually a private club will reciprocate with other clubs. If you become friendly with your club pro he/she can hook you up with some great deals where their professional friends work at. I don't think you'll have a problem getting bored with your home track. Another great bonus to a private club is obviously the practice facility. Not having to worry about paying for a bucket allows me to focus on what I need to get done rather than running out of balls. Lastly your family will all have a great time. I was fortunate enough to grow up with a private club. Even before I started playing I had some of the best times goofing off with my friends I made there at the swimming pool. This may not matter but if you want to introduce your kids to golf belonging to a club is a great place to start. I had never picked up a club and was about 10 or something. One day we were at the pool and some members were putting on the practice green nearby. Of course my curiosity was peaked and I've fallen in love with the game.

I apologize for the long winded answer but I feel strongly about the benefits golf/a club can have on you growing up. As long as the place isn't too snobby a private club is a great place for kids to grow up. Hope this helps!
[/quote]

No apologies needed and definitely appreciate the feedback....

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1388455365' post='8371027']
[quote name='jlam1127' timestamp='1388454011' post='8370877']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Did Spring Valley get sold? They were in serious financial trouble a year or 2 ago and the bank was moving against them or trying to sell the mortgage.
[/quote]

I don't know if they did get sold, but it seems as though they cap how many members can join at the social level...