2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Head-shaking - your strangest experience on course?

This is marginally on topic: Every year at work we have a Festivus with food, music and a mini-golf tournament. Different groups set up holes in and around their group of cubes. Some get pretty elaborate. There are usually around seven to 12 holes.

Anyway, the last three years this one woman has entered ridiculous scores in an attempt to get first place. She got it last year, but this year two people entered evenmore ridiculous scores just so she wouldn't get it. I mean who does that? Who cheats at a silly mini-golf tournament?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year I got paired with 2 randoms, one in a cart, and the other walking with me. We would all tee off together on each hole but the guy in the cart wasn't really playing with us. What I mean is he would rush up to his ball and hit his second shot, rush to the green and putt out, and then stand and wait for us to finish the hole. It was like he was trying to finish the hole as fast as he could, but there were several foursomes ahead of us so he had nowhere to go. It didn't seem like he was even having fun, he wasn't reading the putts or anything, just 3-putting every hole.

Irrelevant...he was KEEPING PACE....that's the key to growing the game.

" The line you read you knew you were on GolfWRX " :rofl:

I've had a couple of "Bermuda Triangle" moments on the course. I frequently play as a single and try to hit the links at seriously off-peak times. On more than one occasion, I'll leave my drive on the fairway on a long 4 or a 5, no mistaking that it could roll/bounce away or disappear into some rough or something... I'll set my visual mark and head over for shot #2, only to find, to my amazement, that I have lost my neon yellow ball in the middle of short fairway. I'll line up with the tee and try to pace out the shot fore and aft...nothing. Keep in mind, there's no one within 2-3 holes of me when this happens. My only plausible theories are aliens...or animals (foxes? geese?) stealing them. Baffling.

Aliens.

19cb52_ancient-aliens.jpg

Nike Vapor Fly Pro
Cobra BiO Cell 3W, 3H
Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW
Callaway MD2 T-grind 54.11, 58.9
Scotty Select Newport 2, SS Fatso 5.0

[quote name='WCGC72BE9' timestamp='1388603739' post='8379703']
Tough looking guys. Anyway they putt out and walk off the green to add up their scores and hand in their cards. All of a sudden two of them start fighting. Shoving at first, then punches started flying with some solid head shots and then they get rolling around the ground.

This was in the afternoon. So we go to the evening banquet and the first thing we see is that foursome sitting together still drinking beer. Yellow shirt guy still wearing the shirt and he hasnt even washed the dirt and blood off his face.
[/quote]
Classic story from the Great White North.
Gotta be 2 hockey players.

We had a hot air balloon go down just missing our 18th green.

Someone drove up the main drive throwing bunny rabbits out if their truck the week after Easter one year. I came in to work seeing dead babies all over the road. We spent three or four hours catching some that lived that day. Someone called the local news and a few of us got on TV.

I think I've told this one before. A guy went into the woods looking for his ball and got lost. His playing partners had hit and moved up (as they told the story) and were waiting at the green. He never came out. Two hours later a guy leads the dude in the front door. Somehow the guy had wandered in the woods until he found a road that lead him to the main road out course was on. The guy picked him up and drive him back. Said he was a mile away.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1388501225' post='8373469']
I played with a guy who has a swaztika tattooed on his face. Every time one of my buddies or I missed a putt we said, "Oy Vay." I don't think swaztika guy got it.
[/quote]

I would've been killed mid round for my big mouth...

My only head scratcher I can think of is a guy who disappeared in his cart mid hole, mid round. The other 3 of us were walking.

[quote name='360_CS' timestamp='1388558432' post='8377935']
I regularly play with a guy who paces his putts 2-3 times. I don't mind it as long as we aren't slowing anyone down. But it is strange, he is the only person I have seen pacing out putts.
[/quote]

I have two friends who do the same thing. I can understand it if they practiced putting and paced it out but they don't. I'm not sure how they relate how many paces to how hard to hit the putt without practice.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

[color=#800080]I fed a fox a powerbar ands he followed me for some holes. My driver head cover fell off by a tee box ands i look over ands the fox is trotting away with it. He dropped it down a hill. Three weeks later the same fox founds me in a tournament. I fed him honey drops this times. He was crunching aways on them as i was swinging my club. He gots abouts a couple feet away but woulds move back when i tried to pet him / her. When it was my turn to play , i tossed one abouts ten yards away so he woulds crunch not so close to me. He came back for more after.[/color]

[color=#800080]Members at my former club now , swear they saw a guy naked in the trees by a tee box playing with his privates. The cops took him aways they said.[/color]

[color=#800080]Me ands my dad hads to push a cart that died up a very big hill on a links course. We waited forever for a replacement. We kept playings , making sure to park on a hill so we coulds get some momentum to get to the next tee boxes.[/color]

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1388522201' post='8375259']
I hit a way-off-the-planet tee shot at a course in Florida and was wandering through the pine trees looking for my ball when I notice a golf course maintanence truck on a little road along the edge of the property. Fairly dense pine trees. As I'm walking up I see a the driver sitting in the truck and just as I get about even with the driver's side window a head pops up out of the lap of the dude driving. The head that popped up was a dude too.....The look on their faces was priceless. I just kinda tried to give them the acknowledging nod and keep going without break down laughing.

By the time I could get back to the fairway to tell my buddies that truck was hitting NASCAR speeds getting out of there.
[/quote]

LOL! This thread is great. I've seen some things in my former career as a caddie but nothing even comes close to this one, or some of the others in this thread.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

From the same ghetto course I play ....

The course is lined with low income houses. Sometimes, their kids come out of the fence to have some fun. One day, 2 kids grab a flag on 10th hole and started to run away at full speed. We are all dumbfounded and just stare. But one golfer (a healthy 30ish looking black dude) takes off after them. In their panic, one kid without the flag stops dead in the track, looking apolgetic. He knew he wasn't going to out run the chaser. The black dude keeps after the other kid and the kid is thinking the same thing that he isn't going to out run the black dude. So, he drops the flag and continues to run at full speed.

This was the reason why the course collects the flags just 30 minutes prior to closing. They must have been losing a lot flags over the years. But it sucks to play the last two holes without flags.

Here is a classic tournament moment. A local construction company sponsors a 4 man scramble each year. The organizer selects the individuals on each team based on handicap (A-B-C-D players) so you play with different people each year. So one year I meet 3 new guys and we go to the first tee. We all hit horrible tee shots and I start to wonder which one of the guys is our A player. So I say "Guys I am a 12 handicap, what's yours?" The second guys says that his a 20-something. The third guy says he is a 30 or so and only plays twice a year. We all look at the last guy and he says I've never played golf before so I wrote "Zero" for handicap on the signup form. Our team finished last.

[quote name='CheckJV' timestamp='1388776082' post='8391893']
Here is a classic tournament moment. A local construction company sponsors a 4 man scramble each year. The organizer selects the individuals on each team based on handicap (A-B-C-D players) so you play with different people each year. So one year I meet 3 new guys and we go to the first tee. We all hit horrible tee shots and I start to wonder which one of the guys is our A player. So I say "Guys I am a 12 handicap, what's yours?" The second guys says that his a 20-something. The third guy says he is a 30 or so and only plays twice a year. We all look at the last guy and he says I've never played golf before so I wrote "Zero" for handicap on the signup form. Our team finished last.
[/quote]

Lmao that is priceless!

Titleist 910D2 9.5* Tour Issue
TEE XCG7 15*
Srixon Z545 4-PW
Vokey SM6 46* 50* 54* 58*
John Byron DaleHead 2

[quote name='Canuckistan' timestamp='1388540929' post='8376973']
[quote name='Splitter' timestamp='1388527434' post='8375743']
[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1388526485' post='8375645']
[quote name='Splitter' timestamp='1388526203' post='8375621']
I've posted this a couple of times and am still waiting for someone to say "Hey, I was one of those golfers!"
[/quote]
Oh, that's gotta be phoney. Three guys all hitting the green?
[/quote]

Ha! It *might* be a little off. I remember being impressed by the shots and thinking how bitter the players must be with the kid.

But, after so much time, my wife and I still disagree on how many local kids were there and how many golfers. I'm pretty sure 3 balls hit the green and the 4th guy didn't try...

There is more story about the restaurant experience as well, but it's even more bizarre than the golfers. To this day, it's one of the strangest two hours of my life. :fool:
[/quote]

I wouldn't mind hearing the restaurant part. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
[/quote]

ha! I'll try and make it quick and bulleted so we don't bore anyone. Keep in mind that we are in Hawaii with a GREAT table and view so we're making the best of things and just enjoying that part of it. In a normal restaurant we would have left or asked to see a manger, etc.. But we were on vacation, enjoying everything and not caring about time..

So...

Went to a recommended restaurant with AWESOME views of course and bay.
Restaurant is empty when we show up and we still wait a bit for a table.
They try and seat us in the back with no view. They are famous for the view.
We have to ask for a balcony table. It has an awesome view of the course, ocean, etc...
We are only the second couple on the balcony. Other than that it is empty.
A waiter walks waaay around us, comes from opposite direction, etc.. for 10-15 minutes taking care of the other table. He's purposfully looking the other way (like walking into things because he's not looking where he's going) so I'd have to yell to get his attention.
He finally gets close enough for me to get his attention and tells me that he is our waiter.
Order beer, ask for menus.
Beer and menus show up 15 minutes later. Other couple has left.
Waiter comes back 15 minutes later for food order. (He's vanishing in between visits to hang with friends in the restaurant)
We just want to munch and want *fast* so we order another round of beer, nachos and a quesadilla.
The quesadilla is listed with sour cream. Wife HATES sour cream so we ask for no sour cream on either.
Wait 45 minutes for the nachos and quesadilla. (again, GREAT view, Hawaii, we're chillin!)
During the 45 minute wait:
No second round shows up so we have to go to the bar ourselves. (when I get up to go to the bar, the waiter runs to the back and hides)
The ball stealing, baseball sliding kid does his thing.
Nachos and Quesadilla show up after 45 minutes. Quesadilla has sour cream all over it.
Ask waiter to order a new Quesadilla with no sour cream and order another round.
5 minutes later the quesadilla shows up. No beer.
So.. 45 minutes for nachos and quesadilla but 5 minutes for the quesadilla?
On a hunch, I flip the quesadilla over. *Someone* tried to wipe the sour cream off and then flipped the Quesadilla over to hide the side with SC on it.
Waiter has really vanished this time. Wife and I are laughing at this.
We finish our nachos (don't eat the quesadilla) and the waiter *appears* with the check.
I show him the quesadilla and ask him to take it off the tab. I'm being nice about the whole thing because I don't want to ruin our chillaxin'.
Waiter gets really pissy about it but finally agrees.
Believe it or not, my wife and I are still totally relaxed and just rollin' with it. The nachos were filling, the view was awesome, the golfer/ball stealing event had happened and the bar was close by. A pissy waiter is not a big deal. NO worries.
Waiter brings us a new check 15 minutes later.
Total is somewhere in the $16-$17 range since we paid for our second round at the bar.
I give him a $20 before he can vanish.

This is where it get funny really.

He returns 10 minutes later with the change. It's all small change.
Piled on the plastic tab is somewhere near $3 in two quarters, dimes, nickles and pennies.
He's trying to keep a straight face but you can tell it's killing him.
It was so funny I laugh and asked him what was up.
He gets pissy that we think its funny and says "That's all we have for change".
I tell him that the bar has dollar bills since that's where I got my second round from. He claims the bar won't give him dollar bills. I never saw him near the bar, although we were not watching it either.
We debated asking for the manager and/or not leaving him a tip.
In the end, we decided the manager would just be some drama we didn't want. It wouldn't be fun for us and maybe the guy was just having a bad day? Not leaving a tip was too vanilla.
So... we left him all the pennies, one nickle and one dime for a tip.

I know it's going to be easy for someone to assume that my wife and I did something wonkey to get such bad/wierd service.

I worked restaurant bars, bussed and waited tables throughout school. I know how hard the restaurant biz can be for all the customer facing staff. I ALWAYS go out of my way to be polite with the host/hostess, try to take great care of wait staff and start my tips at 20%. I want to be the easy customer.

We checked the hours when we left (we thought we may have screwed up the waiters schedule) and the posted hours showed they were open (and the bartender was there). Between the golfers and the waiter, it was just some wierd twilight zone period.

My regular group was playing last July. Just a round of golf until we get to the 10th tee. To get to the 10th tee you have to drive through a tunnel. As soon as we get through the tunnel we see the entire tee box and surrounding area is completely covered with a fine white powder. It was everywhere. The bushes, the cart path, it looked like the middle of the winter. We stop and look around and were trying to figure out what was going on when we hear screams and see 2 golf carts heading straight at us. The first cart appeared to have had its roof ripped off and the cart and the two gentlemen inside were covered with the same powder. They are are screaming at the top of their lungs to "FIND COVER, OH DEAR GOD! LUCAS GOT KNOCKED OUT! GO! GO! GO!" We are all kind of shocked and we are all trying to figure out what is happening. We backed our carts up into the tunnel far enough for the other two carts to join us in the tunnel. The guy in the passenger side of the cart is out like a light, and completely covered in white. I asked the driver of the cart what happened and whats going on. He says they don't know, they were driving and all of a sudden he heard the roof of the cart get ripped open and heard a loud bang and everything went white. As we are talking you hear a loud THUD! from outside the tunnel and there was a huge plume of white smoke and powder that covered the entire area again. We all get in our respective carts and head back towards the clubhouse because that Lucas guy was hurt. We get back to the club house and tell the starter whats was had happened. They head call 911 (no one brought a phone onto the course that day) Ambulance comes and takes the guy away. Then the Police show up and start asking all of us questions about what happened. Well come to find out, a couple of 19 or 20 year old guys were taking a Cessna on a bombing run and were dropping 5lb bags of flour. They had been terrorizing the neighborhood that the course is in. They were caught by another golfer on the course who just happened to look up at the right time and saw things falling from that plane. It was a crazy. That Lucas guy ended up being okay but he did get a broken collar bone and shoulder because the bag of flour went right through the roof of the cart and hit him directly on the shoulder.

#Mizuno
#PlayFamously
#TeamJPX

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1388803011' post='8394445']
Holy crap. That is completely insane. Those fckin idiots are lucky they didn't kill somebody. What ended up happening to them?
[/quote]
They were all caught. Everyone who was on the back 9 at the time was questioned by the police and then later the FAA. 5 of us had to testify in court. That Lucas guy filed a lawsuit and I am pretty sure he got a settlement out of the whole thing.

#Mizuno
#PlayFamously
#TeamJPX

[quote name='Jeremy Thee' timestamp='1388810489' post='8395223']
[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1388803011' post='8394445']
Holy crap. That is completely insane. Those fckin idiots are lucky they didn't kill somebody. What ended up happening to them?
[/quote]
They were all caught. Everyone who was on the back 9 at the time was questioned by the police and then later the FAA. 5 of us had to testify in court. That Lucas guy filed a lawsuit and I am pretty sure he got a settlement out of the whole thing.
[/quote]

They should have gone to jail, I hope.

There are some really great stories in here. I don't have any real funny ones, but I was playing in a junior tournament in high school and a kid I was playing with hit a wayward second shot that ended up somewhat in the line of the tee shot for another hole. Kid was walking to his ball and got hit right in the face with a rope hook drive. He went down like a wet napkin.

I dropped my bag and ran over. Luckily he was actually conscious. The ball hit him in the mouth, broke his jaw and a couple teeth. He was actually trying to get up and said he would be fine....he wanted to finish his round. Must have been a hockey player or something.

G25 8.5* - Speeder TS 7.2x
RBZ Stage2 TS - Black Tie 8M3x
Anser 17* - SteelFiber 95x
J40 CB 4-PW - ss X100
J15 54/58
TM Spider Mallet

The story about the guy hitting hit reminded me of another one

Back in our early teens we were out playing one night close to sunset. Long par 3. One guy slices into bush, another skulls his way over the green. Other two hit on green. Two of us go to help slicer find his ball. Skuller says he will go ahead and try to find his. We find slicers and he chops out to about 40 yards short of green. Meanwhile Skuller has found his and chipped on.

So slicer is getting ready to lob his ball on with the sand wedge. Sun is low and at his back. Skuller is standing on back of the green shading his eyes with his hand as he can't see because the sun is shining in his face. So of course slicer skulls his wedge and it is heading right towards Skuller at a pretty good speed.

We all yell fore but he can't see the ball so he still stands there with his hand over his eyes squinting into the sun. Ball hits him right between the eyes and he goes down instantly. Never saw it coming.

We all run over to him but he gets up right away. No blood, no real damage. Luckily the ball hit him in that hard spot between the eyes by the eyebrows. A bruise showed up the next day but not too severe.

Easy to laugh at it since he did not get hurt. It was hilarious they way he went down. His head and upper body snapped back and as he fell his feet went up in the air. A stunt artist could not have done it better.

And those Star Flites we used back then were hard.

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-UW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

Last year I got paired with 2 randoms, one in a cart, and the other walking with me. We would all tee off together on each hole but the guy in the cart wasn't really playing with us. What I mean is he would rush up to his ball and hit his second shot, rush to the green and putt out, and then stand and wait for us to finish the hole. It was like he was trying to finish the hole as fast as he could, but there were several foursomes ahead of us so he had nowhere to go. It didn't seem like he was even having fun, he wasn't reading the putts or anything, just 3-putting every hole.

Irrelevant...he was KEEPING PACE....that's the key to growing the game.

" The line you read you knew you were on GolfWRX " :rofl:

I've had a couple of "Bermuda Triangle" moments on the course. I frequently play as a single and try to hit the links at seriously off-peak times. On more than one occasion, I'll leave my drive on the fairway on a long 4 or a 5, no mistaking that it could roll/bounce away or disappear into some rough or something... I'll set my visual mark and head over for shot #2, only to find, to my amazement, that I have lost my neon yellow ball in the middle of short fairway. I'll line up with the tee and try to pace out the shot fore and aft...nothing. Keep in mind, there's no one within 2-3 holes of me when this happens. My only plausible theories are aliens...or animals (foxes? geese?) stealing them. Baffling.

Aliens.

19cb52_ancient-aliens.jpg

Not sure where you are playing

But down here in Australia I have massive problems with crows stealing my yellow golf balls

They won't touch white balls but love my tour yellow balls

[quote name='Cuja444' timestamp='1388503958' post='8373681']
Not sure how odd this is but it was strange to me. I was playing a course along the ohio river when all the sudden i see a pirate ship sailing down the river. This thing looked like it came straight out of the movies.
[/quote] That's not strange, I live in Portland. It has one of the largest 'pirate' populations in the US.

[quote name='TheGeekGolfer' timestamp='1388900321' post='8400889']
First tee at a very hilly course. As we start to tee off, a maintenance truck filled with sand drives by and along the hole on the cart path. My buddy tees off, it hits a tree and bounces backwards, lands in the back of the truck in the pile of sand as it continues and drives off.
[/quote]
longest drive obviously!
but hes in a massive fairwaybunker, wherever the truck stops :D

I was playing an afternoon twilight rate on a local city owned course. I was by myself and the pro asked if I minded sharing a cart and I said no. Went out to meet the guy as he was walking up from the restaurant hold 4 beers and stuffed them in the cooler on the cart and said lets go. Nice enough guy and I thought well the 4 are for the round. Well they were gone by the 5th hole and the beer girl came around and he bought another 2 and then another to on the 7th. Well this continued and obviously his game suffered which led to much swearing and excuse making and then more drinking. I should have just switched to the other singles cart, but I didn't wish to make an awkward situation worse, so I continued to ride with him. wish I hadn't as the last 4 or 5 holes I was scared for my safety. He flirted continuously with the beer girl. Fell down on a couple of shots and was a total embarrassment to himself. I couldn't believe they continued to serve him, I lost track of how many beers he had but it was at least 12.

At the end of the round, I asked him if I could drive him home and he said he was going to call his girlfriend. I would not have let him drive. But I was so shocked by the behavior I was not sure how to handle it. But I won't hesitate to do something different the next time I play with a drunk.

Hidden Valley Golf Club in Norco, California...tournament organizers put a new meaning to the term "19th hoe!"

(That was a Freudian slip of the finger...)

http://articles.latimes.com/2004/nov/05/local/me-golfsex5

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

[quote name='Sniperman' timestamp='1388987631' post='8406621']
Hidden Valley Golf Club in Norco, California...tournament organizers put a new meaning to the term "19th hoe!"

(That was a Freudian slip of the finger...)

[url="http://articles.latimes.com/2004/nov/05/local/me-golfsex5"]http://articles.lati...cal/me-golfsex5[/url]
[/quote]

:worth:

TM Stealth Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue Velocore S

TM SIM2 Max 3W 15 - Black Tour AD Di7 S

Ping G425 Hybrid 19 - Ping Tour 85 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-7) ZX7 (8-W) Modus 120 S

Cleveland Zipcore RTX6 -50, 54, 58, DG Tour Spinner

Scotty Cameron Newport Select Custom 2015 model