2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Game Golf tracking system (merged)

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1424448618' post='10991593']
[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1424448331' post='10991571']
ugh....I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on buying another one.

Someone talk me into it!
[/quote]

Duff why did you dump it?
[/quote]

honesty hour: I found that I was only trying to hit the ball a long ways. I wasnt playing rounds the way they should be played, but rather the way I wanted them to look on a screen afterwards for you delinquents to see LOL. Didn't do anything positive for my scores that's for sure!

But I think(and try to keep the chuckles to a minimum here) my bag is actually pretty set and my driver is a weapon more often than not now, and I am less distance obsessed than I've ever been, so I think there's some good data to pull from this thing. My buddy uses it and I'd like to figure out where I'm losing strokes and start shooting below 80 regularly.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1424449069' post='10991645']

Someone talk me into it!
[/quote]

[/quote]

honesty hour: I found that I was only trying to hit the ball a long ways. I wasnt playing rounds the way they should be played, but rather the way I wanted them to look on a screen afterwards for you delinquents to see LOL. Didn't do anything positive for my scores that's for sure!

But I think(and try to keep the chuckles to a minimum here) my bag is actually pretty set and my driver is a weapon more often than not now, and I am less distance obsessed than I've ever been, so I think there's some good data to pull from this thing. My buddy uses it and I'd like to figure out where I'm losing strokes and start shooting below 80 regularly.
[/quote]

Always appreciate the honesty and agree that it could be easy to get caught up in the numbers vs. playing the course. Will keep my eye out on a new 3W thread though!

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1424449220' post='10991657']
[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1424449069' post='10991645']

Someone talk me into it!
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Always appreciate the honesty and agree that it could be easy to get caught up in the numbers vs. playing the course. Will keep my eye out on a new 3W thread though!
[/quote]

Its weird DP....I feel like I'm turning over a new leaf.....

I went away from my putter.....kept the original though while I tried the new one.....hated it, went back to the original and the magic returned. I've not even looked at another 3w in months! Driver either. Or hybrid or irons.

Just shafts. I may become a shaft ho lol. But I love the clubs in my bag rt now.

Famous last words.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

How do you change the fairway flag on you drives? We have a hole with a split fairway and I hit it into the trees in the middle. GameGolf insists it is a fairway hit. Isn't there a way to change it?

Would you sign a round that massivly screws your stats? I had a driver lesson last Thursday and my drive was well off because half implemented changesf. Would you include the round or simply not sign it?

I can't wait to give it a go. So far, it's still in the box as there is no play right now in good old NKy.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1424635753' post='11004929']
How do you change the fairway flag on you drives? We have a hole with a split fairway and I hit it into the trees in the middle. GameGolf insists it is a fairway hit. Isn't there a way to change it?

Would you sign a round that massivly screws your stats? I had a driver lesson last Thursday and my drive was well off because half implemented changesf. Would you include the round or simply not sign it?
[/quote]

You just send an email to the support explaing this. They will change the mapping of the hole in question in less than 24 hours.

[quote name='Barnum' timestamp='1424697399' post='11009471']

[/quote]

You just send an email to the support explaing this. They will change the mapping of the hole in question in less than 24 hours.
[/quote]

Thanks, done that and they were pretty quick to fix it. However it is strange that you can't manually 'override' the flag.

I just logged my first 6 rounds using Gamegolf on my CA golf trip.

The first round was a little weird, over the ball I kept having "did I, or didn't I tag" thoughts. It was a little distracting, but didn't effect my play, or enjoyment playing a great course for the first time. By the end of the week, tagging was second nature.

I''m still mastering the editing process. After signing rounds, I still find mistakes. A few rounds the system automatically records sand saves, and others it doesn't. Also, the scrambling stats are inconsistent round to round.

Initially I asked myself if I really want to tag every shot for the rest of my life? But, after seeing the data and the map views of my rounds, answer is yes. It's one of those things I can't believe I didn't think of. A few years ago, I really resistant to rangefinders/GPS devices. Now, I think the laser is the best golf equipment money I've ever spent. I'm glad I was open to trying this.

[/quote]

You can still sign the round but mark that it is not included in the stats. There are two check boxes to select if it is private and if it counts towards the stats.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Frankfurt

the device definitely looks interesting. i'm wondering when they'll release a new / second version of the hardware. (a bit skeptical being a first mover to technology products)

do you guys think all future improvements can be done through software / firmware updates?

Callaway Epic Subzero 9.5° [i]Oban Devotion 65-04[/i]
Tour Edge Exotics XCG-7 15° [i]Oban Devotion 75-04[/i]
Miura 1957 Small Blades 3-PW [i]Nippon Modus 125S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 52.08 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 58.07 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 34"

[quote name='3riC' timestamp='1424823234' post='11021755']
the device definitely looks interesting. i'm wondering when they'll release a new / second version of the hardware. (a bit skeptical being a first mover to technology products)

do you guys think all future improvements can be done through software / firmware updates?
[/quote]
I was waiting for the PGA Show in January but as they didn't announce a new version at that time I eventually bought one. So my guess is it will be at least another year before they bring anything new out.
The only thing that is missing is to be able to upload the round via your phone/tablet. For that they would need Bluetooth. According to the original Indiegogo description of the GameGolf device low power wireless was included (bluetooth most likely, NFC was specified separately). So it could be that the hardware is already included but not yet activated or they left it out when they went to production.

The reason why you can't transfer the data via your phone seems to be a 'conformance' issue with the R&A/USGA. For me it would be enough to transfer the data after a round. Systems like Arccos which work on (in conjunction with) the phone are currently not legal for competitions or handicap rounds.

Apart from the upload issue everything else can be done in software.

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1424874778' post='11025191']
[quote name='3riC' timestamp='1424823234' post='11021755']

[/quote]
I was waiting for the PGA Show in January but as they didn't announce a new version at that time I eventually bought one. So my guess is it will be at least another year before they bring anything new out.
The only thing that is missing is to be able to upload the round via your phone/tablet. For that they would need Bluetooth. According to the original Indiegogo description of the GameGolf device low power wireless was included (bluetooth most likely, NFC was specified separately). So it could be that the hardware is already included but not yet activated or they left it out when they went to production.

The reason why you can't transfer the data via your phone seems to be a 'conformance' issue with the R&A/USGA. For me it would be enough to transfer the data after a round. Systems like Arccos which work on (in conjunction with) the phone are currently not legal for competitions or handicap rounds.

Apart from the upload issue everything else can be done in software.
[/quote]

When I spoke to Michael with Game Golf he made two things clear to me.

1. They wanted it 100% legal to use in tournaments
2. They wanted it to work as close to 100% as possible, even though they can/will do more with it down the road.

Game Golf didn't want to release a product with a ton of features that worked sporadically, or not at all.

Personally, if they can find a way to give me strokes gained stats (meaning you have to mark the flag and let me type in putting distances), I will be done. That is all I can conceivably think I will ever need.

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

I still love mine.. .although... havent played golf in ....FOREVER....

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Same as Ping Gator, I'm still using my every round. I love this little gadget. It's become part of my pre-shot routine, I asked my buddy he said he doesn't even notice when I swipe it, it's quick and easy.

I did play a few weeks back and the unit died, I forgot to charge it prior to playing, after a few weeks of not playing. It's wild how when I first started using it, it took a few holes or rounds to get used to swiping my club, then when the unit died in-round and I would swipe my club and my belt unit would not beep and vibrate it took a few times to realize what was happening, I was used to it working and I had to look down to see that the light was off. No big deal, just will remember to charge it to green next time prior to playing.

I really like game golf, it's a glaring stat that when my GIR are a higher % then my scores are lower. I seem to be able to do ok with missed FIR as I'm able to scramble, but the missed GIR are the tale tale sign for my game. That and putting which is obvious, the 3-putts are a killer. However the missed GIR are hard on my mental game, if I'm on, make the GIR and I'm putting for birdie then a 2-putt doesn't hurt me so much, it's like my mental side gets pumped up enjoying all these birdie opportunities, however if I miss the GIR and I'm 2-putting for bogey it sure puts a lot of pressure on the 1st put to attempt to save par and the mental side goes down quickly when I string some missed GIR bogeys (or worse) together.

What's In The Bag 

Driver:  Cobra LTDx 9*  ||  FWs:  Cleveland 3 Hy-wood 18*

Hybrid:  Titleist TS2 23*  ||  Irons:  Srixon Z565 6-PW

Wedges*:  Cleveland 588 RTX CB 50*/10* & 58*/12* Black Pearl  ||  PutterΨPing Anser 

Ball: Pro V1x, Srixon Q-star tour, & Kirkland    ||  Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite white/royal

I have said several times that the reason I will stick with GG for the time being is that I think that so long as they keep gathering the data - they can change and improve the presentation layer as we go along while continuing to let us use the same hardware. Personally I dont want any bluetooth nonsense as it will destroy battery life.

I would absolutely agree with adding putting distances. But GPS will never be accurate enough for it - on any level. So allow me to enter it. I normally will pace off my putts anyway just as a matter of play - so its easy enough for me. Pacing off a putt will *always* be more accurate than GPS. I hope this feature gets added and added soon.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Customer service has been amazing. I contacted them the other night to advise of a club where the 9's were flipped permanently. Got a reply in less than 12 hours saying they took care of it. Next I asked how to best handle a temporary green on the same course while they add a bunker. Same person replied in 2 hours and asked me to tell them where the temp is located and they will make the flag movable until I notify when it is back in play so they can put it back.

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1424912370' post='11029421']
Personally I dont want any bluetooth nonsense as it will destroy battery life.
[/quote]

I am not talking about having a bluetooth connection during the round but to upload the data via bluetooth and your phone after the round! I want to be able to look at my stats in the clubhouse and not having to dig out the macbook in the evening to upload the data.

Going on a trip to Spain tomorrow and can't upload (and edit!) the rounds until I come back. I will have forgotten most of my shots by then.

interesting feedback guys. what's the cheapest price people have paid for this?

AUD is [u]S[/u]truggling currently, might have to wait for the next big discount before i'll jump into it

Callaway Epic Subzero 9.5° [i]Oban Devotion 65-04[/i]
Tour Edge Exotics XCG-7 15° [i]Oban Devotion 75-04[/i]
Miura 1957 Small Blades 3-PW [i]Nippon Modus 125S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 52.08 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 58.07 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 34"

[quote name='3riC' timestamp='1424952549' post='11031483']
interesting feedback guys. what's the cheapest price people have paid for this?

AUD is [u]S[/u]truggling currently, might have to wait for the next big discount before i'll jump into it
[/quote]

I used my AMEX points on amazon.com. I think in the end I paid around $50 for gamegolf for the remainder, but that was after using my points.

What's In The Bag 

Driver:  Cobra LTDx 9*  ||  FWs:  Cleveland 3 Hy-wood 18*

Hybrid:  Titleist TS2 23*  ||  Irons:  Srixon Z565 6-PW

Wedges*:  Cleveland 588 RTX CB 50*/10* & 58*/12* Black Pearl  ||  PutterΨPing Anser 

Ball: Pro V1x, Srixon Q-star tour, & Kirkland    ||  Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite white/royal

[quote name='Frankensteins Monster' timestamp='1390929444' post='8551103']
[quote name='Gatormanager3' timestamp='1390923472' post='8550367']
[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1390904229' post='8549237']
[quote name='Gatormanager3' timestamp='1390876631' post='8547707']
Here's the link to my page. You should be able to click my round and view the satellite overlay. I know I'm bad so keep those comments to yourselves, gents :lol:

[url="http://gamegolf.com/player/timdarby/"]http://gamegolf.com/player/timdarby/[/url]

One issue I'm waiting to get resolved is the course I play on has 3 9 hole courses. When I made the turn, the GPS did not identify that I was continuing my round so got a bit squirly and didn't track the back 9. I believe the solution is to power off the device and back on so it detects the new course but I'm still waiting to hear from customer support on that one. Could also be pretty easy for them to map the 3 9's and create the 3 combinations of 18 holes that could be played.
[/quote]
Looks very interesting but what is it with the long putt on the first hole?

The distances for the clubs are very nice but it would be good if you could a) delete some shots from the average (e.g. your first drive) and b) categorize them and each category has its own stats. E.g. SW 9 o'clock shot, SW full shot etc.

How easy was it to use? Did it get in your way in any way?
[/quote]
Not sure what happened on the first hole. I may have forgotten to tag and then tagged prior to hitting my tee shot on the next hole or it was just a gps error. It was very easy to use and did not get in my way at all. By the time I made the turn remembering to tag wasn't an issue at all. Some people have mentioned working it into their pre-shot routine but I have not done that yet. For a tee shot I will tag it right after I tee the ball up, for other shots I'll tag right before I start my routine, putts I'll tag right as I mark my ball so I can then go and read the green and not have to think about it.
[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1390906941' post='8549285']
@Gatormanager3 you are either a really bad putter or the accuracy on the green of the device isn't too good ;-)
The putts on hole 7 just don't seem right! They are going in a Zick-Zack course (or was that across a big slope?).
[/quote]
Putt distances and pin locations are still being worked on from what I'm reading. During my "edit round" I can move the locations of the shots to better reflect where the pin was and move putts to where they were if something is a bit off. On 7 it was just a problem of me not moving the pin during edit round before I signed/saved the card. I had about 12 feet for birdie and then tapped it in.
[/quote]

Probably thought you tagged it but missed the device.
[/quote]agreed! i think game gold is pretty good though for the price

I am still struggling with the tagging. I went on a 3 day trip with 3 rounds and I had to delete about 30% of the holes as I forgot to tag some shots and after 3 days I couldn't remember all the shots anymore, especially as it was on a course I've never played before.

How do you handle holes where you missed half the shots? I guess the best is to just delete the hole. That way it won't mess up your distance/approach stats etc. Only problem is that you end up with dream scores ;-)

I guess they need to implement a way that you can just enter a score for a hole without having any real shots on it.

Has anyone figured out when the system detects shots and when it doesn't? I guess a chip or so won't be detected but I had a few teeshots that weren't detected either.

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1425316648' post='11061339']
I am still struggling with the tagging. I went on a 3 day trip with 3 rounds and I had to delete about 30% of the holes as I forgot to tag some shots and after 3 days I couldn't remember all the shots anymore, especially as it was on a course I've never played before.

How do you handle holes where you missed half the shots? I guess the best is to just delete the hole. That way it won't mess up your distance/approach stats etc. Only problem is that you end up with dream scores ;-)

I guess they need to implement a way that you can just enter a score for a hole without having any real shots on it.

Has anyone figured out when the system detects shots and when it doesn't? I guess a chip or so won't be detected but I had a few teeshots that weren't detected either.
[/quote]

If you're missing that many tags, it's best to develop a solid pre-shot routine for tagging that way you get the most out of the device. But if you don't want to put that much effort into it, the device may not be a good fit for you.

You have to tag. You have to keep score. You have to remember your round. And you have to edit on the computer right away; unless you kept solid notes throughout your rounds.

The device has a compact accelerometer that senses the movement of a full swing. If no club tag is detected within ~5 seconds of the movement, it records the location as a "Detected Shot" but no club data is used. And shows up in edit as an orange diamond.

Soft chips, or putts, and slow practice swings don't typically register as detected shots.

Before I bought GG I hated the idea of keeping a scorecard *and* tagging *and* editing the round. But editing the round really takes only a few minutes. And for trips/vacation rounds - I already think its cool to have a record of my trip. I can remember really great shots I had and go back and look at them if I want.

I think GG could get a lot of mileage out of a "30 day trial" program. Try our product for 30 days, post at least 3 rounds and if you dont like it - send it back. I really do believe that anyone on the fence that tried it for 3 rounds would buy it.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

+1[size=4][quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1425424382' post='11071273'][/size]
Before I bought GG I hated the idea of keeping a scorecard *and* tagging *and* editing the round. But editing the round really takes only a few minutes. And for trips/vacation rounds - I already think its cool to have a record of my trip. I can remember really great shots I had and go back and look at them if I want.

I think GG could get a lot of mileage out of a "30 day trial" program. Try our product for 30 days, post at least 3 rounds and if you dont like it - send it back. I really do believe that anyone on the fence that tried it for 3 rounds would buy it.
[/quote]+1

[quote name='techjunkee' timestamp='1425416942' post='11070253']
[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1425316648' post='11061339']

[/quote]

If you're missing that many tags, it's best to develop a solid pre-shot routine for tagging that way you get the most out of the device. But if you don't want to put that much effort into it, the device may not be a good fit for you.

You have to tag. You have to keep score. You have to remember your round. And you have to edit on the computer right away; unless you kept solid notes throughout your rounds.
[/quote]

I think it just shows me that I skip my pre-shot routine every now and then. I don't have a problem with putting the effort in but often I only see the shot in front of me and forget about the rest. Still early days though.

I would have liked to edit the round straight after but the problem is that you need a computer and if you are on a Golfing trip with limited luggage allowance then you are not carrying a laptop around with you!

So far I've recorded half my rounds at my home course and half on away courses. Remembering the shots on away courses is a lot harder IMHO as you can't even remember every hole. On some shots it comes back to you (if it was a memorable hole or shot) but often you have some dull par 4 where nothing really stands out.

But I guess deleting some holes where you didn't tag everything isn't that much of a problem. Your average score might be wrong but the distance and approach stats are what's more important

Just bought the GG system and am anxious to try it. I think I may have bought it too soon however, but being the impatient type of golfer I am I really don't care.

Speaking to a rep at GG I was told they have a new update due to be released this year. He couldn't tell me when, but probably several months. He also said there are some upgrades to the app due out soon.

I'm sure I'll like this version, and if for some reason I can't live without the newer release, that is what eBay and BST are for.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

[quote name='RSinSG' timestamp='1425671222' post='11091549'] Just bought the GG system and am anxious to try it. I think I may have bought it too soon however, but being the impatient type of golfer I am I really don't care. Speaking to a rep at GG I was told they have a new update due to be released this year. He couldn't tell me when, but probably several months. He also said there are some upgrades to the app due out soon. I'm sure I'll like this version, and if for some reason I can't live without the newer release, that is what eBay and BST are for. [/quote]

You won't be disappointed! I may be new to the game, but this is a very valuable tool with lots of potential. There is a lot of data to sort through once you start accumulating rounds, it will be up to you to interpret that data to find your weaknesses.

Just remember to upload your round when you get home, when all of your shots are fresh in your mind for editing for pin placements etc. Also it will take a few rounds to build the club tagging into your pre-shot routine. So you may have to throw out the first few rounds you play - I know I did.