2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Game Golf tracking system (merged)

[quote name='minteq' timestamp='1426871354' post='11180557']
[quote name='Papa Johick' timestamp='1426852310' post='11178577']
I'm really tempted to buy this again. I sold it because I needed money at the time. Just trying to find a deal.
[/quote]

I sold mine as well, for me it wasnt really going to tell me what I already don't know. Its a nice idea, but i just want to play, don't want to get too caught up in numbers. :)
[/quote]

i hear ya. biggest reason i want to re-buy is due to having some things changing in my game lately. Also, since i got a laser, i dont need my phone for distances. only thing i use my phone now for is data input. if i get the game golf again, then i can just not have my phone on me at all while playing and that would be nice haha. although i will still use the app on my phone to look up approximate carry distances over hazards and such if there isnt anything nearby to hit my range finder with

Forever Changing at this point.......

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1426857156' post='11178931']
Look for golfsmith or golf galaxy coupons. I had one that had $50/off $250.

Game Golf, Doz Balls and glove. (So it was like buy Game Golf and get a doz balls and glove for free). :lol:

--kC
[/quote]

Did the same thing just today at Golf Galaxy, $200 for the unit. No balls needed so picked up 2 hats basically for free. Not as good as the guys saying they got it for $120 but I'm satisfied. Rain tomorrow but will be trying it for the first time Monday.

[quote name='techjunkee' timestamp='1425417229' post='11070293']
The device has a compact accelerometer that senses the movement of a full swing. If no club tag is detected within ~5 seconds of the movement, it records the location as a "Detected Shot" but no club data is used. And shows up in edit as an orange diamond.

Soft chips, or putts, and slow practice swings don't typically register as detected shots.
[/quote]

Ok I'm confused about the detected shot/ practice swing comment. I just bought my unit and will be setting it up later and using it in a day or two.

As I understand the process it simply measures the distance between where one shot lands and the tagging of the next shot. If you tag your device and take a full practice swing as part of your preshot routine that won't show up anywhere that would need editing later, correct?

Today my Gamegolf unit couldn't find the course I played. I turned it on about 5 minutes before I hit the first tee. When I tried to tag my first shot, nothing. I looked down and the red and white lights were still flashing. I kept trying each shot through the third hole, and still the same. Eventually, I gave up, it was too distracting. Bummer, I've used it with great success 8 times.

[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1426984326' post='11188381']
Today my Gamegolf unit couldn't find the course I played. I turned it on about 5 minutes before I hit the first tee. When I tried to tag my first shot, nothing. I looked down and the red and white lights were still flashing. I kept trying each shot through the third hole, and still the same. Eventually, I gave up, it was too distracting. Bummer, I've used it with great success 8 times.
[/quote]I've been turning it on well before 5 minutes before the tee time. Usually a half hour or so when I step on the putting or practice tee.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

Can someone tall me the stats that are tracked with Game Golf? Does it do fairway miss tendency (left or right), percentages (up and down, sand saves, three putt avoidance? Does it doe advanced stats such as strokes gained and the likes that the PGA Tour currently uses? I'm gonna ask these same questions about Arccos as well.

[quote name='CactusGolf' timestamp='1427037229' post='11190855']
[/quote]I've been turning it on well before 5 minutes before the tee time. Usually a half hour or so when I step on the putting or practice tee.
[/quote]

I gave it roughly 30 minutes before I gave up. It's a bummer bc I played fairly well, and would've like to included it to my stats.

[quote name='Frankensteins Monster' timestamp='1427041203' post='11191177']
Can someone tall me the stats that are tracked with Game Golf? Does it do fairway miss tendency (left or right), percentages (up and down, sand saves, three putt avoidance? Does it doe advanced stats such as strokes gained and the likes that the PGA Tour currently uses? I'm gonna ask these same questions about Arccos as well.
[/quote]

So there are 3 main categories of stats that I've broken down below. Within each of those are a number of filters. Many are graphed as well:

[b]Basic Stats[/b]
Ave Score
FW Accuracy
GIR %
Putts/Hole
Scrambling
Club Median Distance

[b]Off The Tee[/b]
Left/Right/Center %, Longest Distance,
--By Club club
--By Round (all, last 10, 15, etc)

[attachment=2674855:Off_the_tee.jpg]

[b]Approach The Green[/b]
Left/Right/Short/Long, <15 yard from pin (which it considers GIR) %
--By Club
--By Distance range (e.g. 125-150 yard)
--By Lie Type
--By Round (all, last 10,15, etc)

[attachment=2674857:approach_the_green.jpg]

[b]Scoring[/b]
--By Category (Total, putting, par 3/4/5)
--By Round (all, last 10, 15 etc)

[attachment=2674859:scoring.jpg]

[b]Club Performance[/b]
--Displays their calculation, tossing out extreme outliers. You'll note how driver distance is greater here than in the "Off the Tee" grouping. Looks like it tosses out the bottom 10% or so
--by lie type
--By Round (all, last 10, 15 etc)

[attachment=2674861:club_performance.jpg]

Ok, my desktop died. Can game golf work with my iPad or is a desktop required?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1427041563' post='11191209']
[/quote]

I gave it roughly 30 minutes before I gave up. It's a bummer bc I played fairly well, and would've like to included it to my stats.
[/quote]

Have you ever played that course before? if not, call CS and they will add it within a week usually. If you have played it, then maybe a weird day where satellites couldn't pick up? When I had mine, I turned it on literally when I was driving from my putting green to first tee (maybe 100-200 feet). Always registered where I was at as long as I stood on the first tee for a minute for GPS to see that I was on a mapped course.

Forever Changing at this point.......

[quote name='Papa Johick' timestamp='1427063642' post='11193187']
[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1427041563' post='11191209']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Have you ever played that course before? if not, call CS and they will add it within a week usually. If you have played it, then maybe a weird day where satellites couldn't pick up? When I had mine, I turned it on literally when I was driving from my putting green to first tee (maybe 100-200 feet). Always registered where I was at as long as I stood on the first tee for a minute for GPS to see that I was on a mapped course.
[/quote]

I haven't used Gamegolf at the course before, but many others have. I'm assuming it was a weird day. I've used it 8 times since I got it in Febuary, it's worked every other time turning it on when I got to the first tee. It's just a bummer a bunch of better than average shots won't be included iny stats.

[quote name='Papa Johick' timestamp='1427063642' post='11193187']
[/quote]

As I understand it, the device doesn't keep track of courses, or have any idea if it's anywhere near a course as it's being used. It simply records the position, club, and time whenever you tag it. This data is then uploaded, and the game golf server figured out what course you played and assembles the data. I believe you could turn it on at home and start tagging shots and the device would behave as normal, but when you sync'd it wouldn't recognize a course.

Anyway, that doesn't help the poster. It seems the device couldn't acquire the sat signals. I also tend to turn mine on pretty early, but other than the very first time I used it (which took about 5-6 minutes) I don't think it's ever taken more than a minute or two to get the signal. The clear Arizona skies may help with that.

I'd contact support and see what they say.

Tim

(As a quick test, I turned mine on when I started typing this message. No course anywhere near my neighborhood and I'm inside a two-story house--still got a signal in about 90 seconds.)

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1426495736' post='11151665']
[quote name='RSinSG' timestamp='1426477207' post='11151067']
I've got a couple rounds recorded and I don't think I'd change anything about the front end part of the system. The only snag I've had is the tag wouldn't get snug in my Super Stroke putter, but I figured it's because the grip is old so it was a great excuse to order a new grip.

Where the system can improve is to expand the use of the data that is already collected. Specifically it would be nice if you could see combined stats hole by hole. That way you could look at your last 10 rounds and see where you're losing strokes on the different holes.

(Apologies if this a repeat post. I read most of the thread but only briefly.)
[/quote]
Just vote for it here:
[url="http://myexperience.gamegolf.com/forums/236342-feature-requests/suggestions/6446030-advanced-course-hole-analysis"]http://myexperience....e-hole-analysis[/url]
[/quote]

Apparently the folks at GG do pay attention. Have you noticed that you can now "unsign" a round and make modifications? That came in handy as I was reviewing my club performances and noticed I hit a 5 iron 257 yards. I realize I post on WRX and that is the norm around here, but it's a tad longer than I usually hit it. I unsigned the round, changed the club to driver and resigned it. Easy.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1427060426' post='11192821']
Ok, my desktop died. Can game golf work with my iPad or is a desktop required?
[/quote]

You need to plug the usb into the unit to upload your game. There is no bluetooth support at this point, and likely there won't be as it could compromise the tournament legal status.

You can do everything else with an iPad though - modify your game, view stats, etc but the initial upload requires a plug in. Maybe the staff would allow you to use the handicap PC at your course to upload.

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

[quote name='Frankensteins Monster' timestamp='1427041203' post='11191177'] Can someone tall me the stats that are tracked with Game Golf? Does it do fairway miss tendency (left or right), percentages (up and down, sand saves, three putt avoidance? Does it doe advanced stats such as strokes gained and the likes that the PGA Tour currently uses? I'm gonna ask these same questions about Arccos as well. [/quote]

Larrybud covered most of the stuff. But one other way that they display these metrics is as a comparison. Basically you can compare your basic stats (gir , fairways, scrambling, putts/hole) against all the other people using GameGolf by score. I find it pretty helpful with determining where you need to improve. Not surprising but helpful nonetheless.

[attachment=2675685:gg_compare_7580.jpg]

[attachment=2675687:gg_compare_8085.jpg]

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

Question for you more experienced GG users. I was looking at the different insights and can't figure out my driving average. If I view it by club performance it is 262. If I look at the off the tee numbers it's 248. I'm wondering if the by club numbers kicks out the low outlying 90 yard into the water drive and the off the tee stats include it.

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-22%20at%209.22.45%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-22%20at%209.21.13%20PM.png

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

How do they map the courses? From Google Maps?

How does it recognize fairway hits? Within 20 yards of centre line? Or is it edited afterwards on computer?

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

The GG device you wears only stores club, and GPS locations. It doesn't matter what course you are on.

Only when you plug it into the computer and upload that data to the GG system, does it do the association with the maps (using their map API).

FWY hits, if you're on the edge, may need to be edited because I'm sure the accuracy is +/- 3 feet (like most GPS devices) and for many, that could be the difference of being on/off a FWY. That is done later through editing.

I think I have that right anyways. I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. :lol:

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='Frankensteins Monster' timestamp='1427122598' post='11196773']
Does anybody have the dimensions of the Game Golf belt module? Does it look goofy on belt or get in the way? Is it too big to put in pocket? Will the NFC work through cloth?
[/quote]

It is actually pretty hard to notice, though if you are built like Camilo and wear ultra tight stuff might stand out a little more. I don't like stuff in my pockets but ymmv. It will work through cloth.

[attachment=2676193:gg_size.jpg]

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

[quote name='Yrrdead' timestamp='1427125857' post='11197243']
Does anybody have the dimensions of the Game Golf belt module? Does it look goofy on belt or get in the way? Is it too big to put in pocket? Will the NFC work through cloth?
[/quote]

It is actually pretty hard to notice, though if you are built like Camilo and wear ultra tight stuff might stand out a little more. I don't like stuff in my pockets but ymmv. It will work through cloth.

[attachment=2676193:gg_size.jpg]
[/quote]

Perfect way to show size. Thank you, Yrrdead.

[/quote]

Not too big for a pocket but I found it to be a pain trying to tag because the bottom of a pocket is much lower than your waistline.

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1427110321' post='11195633']
FWY hits, if you're on the edge, may need to be edited because I'm sure the accuracy is +/- 3 feet (like most GPS devices) and for many, that could be the difference of being on/off a FWY. That is done later through editing.
[/quote]

At the moment I can not believe they map courses very accurately. Tees, few points along fairway and then green. At least based on how quickly they added our two courses to their database. How would they know how wide our fairways are, from google pictures?

But anyway, I would not count editing/verifying the shots afterwards pain. So perhaps I will buy this for this season.

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

Longest drive ever!!!

Was my 1st hole and I forgot to tag my drive (was a driver and not a hybrid). Not sure where it got that one from.

But I had a few strange things in the round where it attributed shots to the wrong hole.

28Ss51n.gif

TaylorMade SLDR 460 12*+1* stock stiff
Tour Exotics XCG 15*; Mizzuno 19* MP-650
Callaway X-20 Tour 4 - PW; PX 6.0 shafts
Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Teron, 35" Super Stroke 3.0
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/KevinR22

[quote name='QEight' timestamp='1427132228' post='11198147']
[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1427110321' post='11195633']
[/quote]

At the moment I can not believe they map courses very accurately. Tees, few points along fairway and then green. At least based on how quickly they added our two courses to their database. How would they know how wide our fairways are, from google pictures?

But anyway, I would not count editing/verifying the shots afterwards pain. So perhaps I will buy this for this season.
[/quote]

I would imagine they just draw the outline of the fairway on a touchscreen or with a graphic tablet. I had the case of a split fairway. At first it showed a shot into the centre as 'Fairway', I've emailed them and they re-mapped the hole. So centre-line and fairway width wouldn't work with that.

I am very impressed with Game Golf's customer service.

I played at the Texas A&M Campus course on Monday 3/23/2015.

They recently completely re-did the course, they've been open for a little over 1 year. When I went to play they said they have recently switched the 9's.

I email Game Golf last night after putting in my round to let them know, I attached a scanned in scorecard showing the new numbers. This morning I received an email from Game Golf saying they have swapped the 9's in their database.

Very VERY impressive, super fast customer support.

Thanks again!

What's In The Bag 

Driver:  Cobra LTDx 9*  ||  FWs:  Cleveland 3 Hy-wood 18*

Hybrid:  Titleist TS2 23*  ||  Irons:  Srixon Z565 6-PW

Wedges*:  Cleveland 588 RTX CB 50*/10* & 58*/12* Black Pearl  ||  PutterΨPing Anser 

Ball: Pro V1x, Srixon Q-star tour, & Kirkland    ||  Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite white/royal

Hey everyone, looks like GameGolf just did a big update with their Android App. Ton of new features:
New Features!

● Find, Play, and Track your round of golf at 33,000+ courses worldwide
● Live shot tracking and club distances in the app*
● Live shot editing in the app*
● Live scorecard*
● Rangefinder: Know exactly how far you are from the hole
● Lock screen mode: save power and have the most essential information at a quick glance

*GAME GOLF wearable device not supported

So essentially it looks like you can use their app without actually buying GameGolf.