2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Game Golf tracking system (merged)

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1433836813' post='11717064']
[quote name='kreinartz83' timestamp='1433815656' post='11715662']
so... either it is time for a new phone or time to nut up and buy the game golf device... my phone will not make it through a round in my pocket, it overheats and shuts down... it isnt going to get any cooler in texas this summer... it was 100 today. i limped the phone around puttiting it in the cup holder for most of the round and taking it with me to tag, i was playing by myself so i wasnt worried about slowing anyone down... it was really a hassle to remember it or go back to the cart to get it... phone made it through 14 holes then went into safe mode so i just took a mental note of what club and what location i was at and filled the rest in once i got home.
so... anyone want to sell me their device? i have the tags already lol, or maybe ill sell the tags if someone wants them. i figure ill have the device asap. playing a lot of golf this month...
[/quote]

I guess that was the business model behind the GameGolf app - get them hooked ;-)
[/quote]

There was one for sale on the BST the other day

Forever Changing at this point.......

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1432771900' post='11639358']
You guys using the game golf unit in the rain? Any concerns with doing so? How about the tags? Any issue with them and water/wet conditions?
[/quote]

The unit is fully waterproof. I dropped mine down the toilet mid round this week. Pulled it out dried it off with paper, put it back on the belt and it vibrated and recorded all the shots post dunking.

I have somehow lost the top of a tag, are replacements available to buy with out the unit?

Callaway Mavrik 9*, Kuro Kage Black 60gr Stiff..
Callaway Rogue 3 wood.
Titleist U510 3 iron.
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5 - PW.
Vokey SM7, 50F, 54S, 58D.
Scotty Cameron Futura X5.

[quote name='Papa Johick' timestamp='1433896471' post='11722226']
[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1433836813' post='11717064']
[quote name='kreinartz83' timestamp='1433815656' post='11715662']
so... either it is time for a new phone or time to nut up and buy the game golf device... my phone will not make it through a round in my pocket, it overheats and shuts down... it isnt going to get any cooler in texas this summer... it was 100 today. i limped the phone around puttiting it in the cup holder for most of the round and taking it with me to tag, i was playing by myself so i wasnt worried about slowing anyone down... it was really a hassle to remember it or go back to the cart to get it... phone made it through 14 holes then went into safe mode so i just took a mental note of what club and what location i was at and filled the rest in once i got home.
so... anyone want to sell me their device? i have the tags already lol, or maybe ill sell the tags if someone wants them. i figure ill have the device asap. playing a lot of golf this month...
[/quote]

I guess that was the business model behind the GameGolf app - get them hooked ;-)
[/quote]

There was one for sale on the BST the other day
[/quote]

thanks for the info... found a buy now or best offer on the bay, picked up the set used for 110+ shipping... should be here soon! it better work...

[quote name='garethw' timestamp='1433899163' post='11722510']
[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1432771900' post='11639358']
You guys using the game golf unit in the rain? Any concerns with doing so? How about the tags? Any issue with them and water/wet conditions?
[/quote]

The unit is fully waterproof. I dropped mine down the toilet mid round this week. Pulled it out dried it off with paper, put it back on the belt and it vibrated and recorded all the shots post dunking.

I have somehow lost the top of a tag, are replacements available to buy with out the unit?
[/quote]
email them about the tag, they will send you one... also you can buy an "extra set" of tags from their website, need to find the link tho as they don't advertise it... i posted it a while back...

Has anyone seen the article on Arccors golf here? (http://www.golfwrx.com/307422/10-reasons-to-add-performance-tracking-to-your-game/)
They have some interesting stats, they seem to have some sort of 'Strokes Gained' working and they calculate a handicap for each category for each round. That is quite nice.

But apart from that I think the stats from GameGolf are more flexible (the filtering etc). There is a demo on Arccos golf and overall I think I prefer how GameGolf is displaying the data but I do like to have the Stokes Gained stats! But I am sure it will be coming.

Another nice feature they have with their app is the 'ball finder'. Based on the club you hit it will tell you roughly at what distance you can expect to find your ball.
The only problem with that is that if you slice a ball into the trees it will be a lot shorter than a normal shot as it most likely hit a tree!

Just finished round 3 and I'm really liking the stats. We like to think all our clubs are nice even numbers ten yards or so apart, i.e 170 yard 6 iron, 160 yard 7 iron, 150 yard 8 iron, etc. That just isn't reality though.

I'm also learning that with a consistent draw, my more often than not approach miss is right. Simple, and something you'd think I would have recognized, but I'd have told you it was left.

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1433983510' post='11728922']
For those who haven't yet, I would suggest adding your Player Profile link into your sig file. That way we don't have to hunt the list on here and can follow who we want and "smack talk" each other in the Challenges ... and maybe even set up WRX challenges.
(Doing it right now myself)
[/quote]

I added mine! also just shot my best round today... it should be live soon... waiting for it to upload... 86, which is really good for me especially on a course that i have never played and that plays difficult according to the marshal

[quote name='kreinartz83' timestamp='1433989269' post='11729520']
For those who haven't yet, I would suggest adding your Player Profile link into your sig file. That way we don't have to hunt the list on here and can follow who we want and "smack talk" each other in the Challenges ... and maybe even set up WRX challenges.
[/quote]

I added mine! also just shot my best round today... it should be live soon... waiting for it to upload... 86, which is really good for me especially on a course that i have never played and that plays difficult according to the marshal
[/quote]

Interesting looking course and a pretty solid round for not playing it before. There appears to be a couple of forced tee shots out there, but the google overhead looks like they took the shots during a drought. I do like the "go for it" going after the par 4 off the tee. So close!

[quote name='Circaflex' timestamp='1434002453' post='11730282']
man im really torn between this and the arccos unit; i keep going back and forth after reading the different threads
[/quote]

Give the app a shot first for Game Golf. Costs nothing other than having to "tag" on your phone. Set up an account and download the app, set up your bag, and off you go. If I continue to like the information I am getting from it I might end up getting the actual unit. Hopefully they make something I can wear other than on a belt seeing as I don't wear one when I am playing. :)

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1434002694' post='11730294']
[quote name='kreinartz83' timestamp='1433989269' post='11729520']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Interesting looking course and a pretty solid round for not playing it before. There appears to be a couple of forced tee shots out there, but the google overhead looks like they took the shots during a drought. I do like the "go for it" going after the par 4 off the tee. So close!
[/quote]
#4 was a miss-hit all the way, just favored my miss, thought it was lost in the Creek... Much to my surprise it was close, should have been an easy birdy but my short game is crap...

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1434002837' post='11730304']
man im really torn between this and the arccos unit; i keep going back and forth after reading the different threads
[/quote]

Give the app a shot first for Game Golf. Costs nothing other than having to "tag" on your phone. Set up an account and download the app, set up your bag, and off you go. If I continue to like the information I am getting from it I might end up getting the actual unit. Hopefully they make something I can wear other than on a belt seeing as I don't wear one when I am playing. :)
[/quote]
That's how I started, then I added the tags only and used with my android phone, that works great, but it made my phone run hot and shut down with the 100 degree plus afternoons.. Found a used unit on the bay for about $110... I don't wear a belt either, I may just have it in my pocket, we will see when I start to use it

[/quote]

GameGolf tagging system is one of the best golf investments I've made. I never thought I was a stats kind of guy, but I really like downloading the game and seeing the numbers. It is very evident where my weaknesses are. Plus, it's an eye opener to see how far you actually hit that "monster drive."

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Device came in today! Can't wait to put it to use!
[attachment=2804156:2024.jpg]
Now I have a full set of tags that I'm not going to need... Any one want to buy them? They are $50 plus shipping from GG HTTPS://gmglf.co/2ndSet... Shoot me an offer...
[attachment=2804150:IMG_20150612_175206.jpg]
[attachment=2804152:IMG_20150612_175201.jpg]
They have some wear you can see the unused vs used ones... I tested them all and they all work, putter one has the screw partially cut but still fits
[attachment=2804160:IMG_20150612_175822.jpg]

Biggest difference is that it gives you live yardage to the center... Tags similar to the device itself, tap and go... I found that location was spot on... But if my phone battery was 50% or lower it wouldn't make it, also it heated up the phone and shut it off, cheap Chinese android phone though, good phone but it is getting older. If it wasn't for my phone issues i would still use it... Cool thing is that of o leave the belt clip at home or it is dead I can use the phone still!

I've been using the phone with tags, and it works.....unless it's wicked hot. I'm getting the unit, because I'm loving the insights into my game.

97 degrees, 222% humidity (by feel) yesterday caused crashes in the app and killed a fully charged Galaxy S5 (not factory fresh) battery by hole 14.

I suspect the heat, because my pocket was noticeably hotter than ambient, and the phone was radiating heat out of the pocket. Using it outside of the pocket keeps the display on, furthering the problem.

First round with the system today and I remembered to tag every shot. I was trying to ta as part of my pre-shot routine but missed a couple only to tag them after I hit. As a right handed golfer I am not sure where the best place to place the unit is. On my right side seemed a little awkward and I may try moving it over to my left side for the next round to see if that is more comfortable. Editing was a breeze reviewing each hole as I had to delete one putt (I tagged twice) and had to add one penalty stroke. Even with one round it is clear that the stats will help as this was not one of my better rounds and I was all over the place with driver distance - need to work on that! :)

How does the system deal with shots that you don't hit 100% full swings? For example: I use my wedges to hit a lot of 75-80% shots. My understanding is that GG doesn't have a way to handle that (at least from a average distance sort of approach). Or, what about chipping, or punch outs? I chip with my 9 iron a lot, would that throw off the averages?

Ping G425 Max, 12* set to 13.5*, Tensei AV Raw Orange 65 R
Ping G425 Max 5 wood, 17.5* set to 18.5*, Tensei AV Raw Orange 75 S

Titleist 818h1 23* set to 24*, Project X Evenflow Blue S

Ping i210 4-UW, Nippon Modus 105S, Black Dot
Titleist Vokey SM7 54* 14F, 58* 12D Wedge Flex
Evnroll ER6B

Titleist Pro V1

"Game Golf automatically filters out punch shots and poorly hit shots to calculate the typical distance for each club provided that you have recorded multiple shots with that particular club. A club's typical distance represents the distance a full swing would yield under typical conditions."

That is straight from their website. By the use of the term "typical" I am guessing it is not a mathematical "average" of every shot?

Also, the way the shot distribution chart works it is easy to see chips from full/3/4 swings.

[quote name='On The Screws' timestamp='1434386276' post='11755188']
I've been using the phone with tags, and it works.....unless it's wicked hot. I'm getting the unit, because I'm loving the insights into my game.

97 degrees, 222% humidity (by feel) yesterday caused crashes in the app and killed a fully charged Galaxy S5 (not factory fresh) battery by hole 14.

I suspect the heat, because my pocket was noticeably hotter than ambient, and the phone was radiating heat out of the pocket. Using it outside of the pocket keeps the display on, furthering the problem.
[/quote]

the exact reasons i opted for the device... i have 2 rounds using it and it is fantastic, you will not regret it. also the ability to know when and where i took a shot but didn't tag is invaluable, it will even take a guess as to the club you used based on the distance.

I played my 2nd round with the system yesterday and missed a couple of tags which the system sensed. I holed my 2nd shot on a par 4 for eagle and wasn't sure how the system would pick that up without tagging a putter on the green but it worked flawlessly. Not sure if the yardage credit for the shot was 100% accurate but certainly it was close enough. I do find myslef a little distracted by using the system at this early stage with my focus a little off making sure I tagged a shot eitehr before or after. However, I think that will go away as I get more used to it.

For those who have the system, where do you wear it, right hip, left hip, more in front, more behind? I am RH and still not sure what position works best for me.

[quote name='phil75070' timestamp='1434573432' post='11771200']
I played my 2nd round with the system yesterday and missed a couple of tags which the system sensed. I holed my 2nd shot on a par 4 for eagle and wasn't sure how the system would pick that up without tagging a putter on the green but it worked flawlessly. Not sure if the yardage credit for the shot was 100% accurate but certainly it was close enough. I do find myslef a little distracted by using the system at this early stage with my focus a little off making sure I tagged a shot eitehr before or after. However, I think that will go away as I get more used to it.

For those who have the system, where do you wear it, right hip, left hip, more in front, more behind? I am RH and still not sure what position works best for me.
[/quote]
Where did you play, I'm in north Dallas as well.. You should add your GG link in your SIG, it would be cool to see that eagle!

I played my 3rd round with the system yesterday, Friday. Two issues occurred. The unit fell off my belt on the 3rd tee. I had read about this issue somewhere so when I ordered it from Amazon I also ordered one of those universal telephone clips with the button that slides in and clicks in place. So when I got home I immediately put a button on the unit and I find that the clip on the belt of the phone holder is much more secure than the clip provided on the Game Golf system. I haven't played with this configuration, yet, so I am interested to see if it hanging lower becomes an issue.

The 2nd problem that occurred was that the NFC enabled part of the button that goes into the club caught on the edge of my bag when I pulled the putter out and broke off. From then on I could no longer tag with the putter so I "tagged" with a wedge and "changed clubs" when I edited the round afterwards. Fortunately, the piece fell [b][i]into [/i][/b]my bag so I was able to get that piece and glue it back on - Just a ward of caution to others in how you remove your clubs from the bag (I also take care not to slam my bags back in the bag after a bad shot or bad break anymore!)