TaylorMade 2017 M2 Irons Face Slot Problems

Sully287

All,

I purchased a new set of 2017 M2 Irons in FEB. The other day at the range my 6 iron's faceslot collapsed and then yesterday during the round the face slot actually broke out. I have emailed TaylorMade's customer service department and am waiting to hear back from them, but have some questions if anybody has ever dealt with TaylorMade before:

1. How is TaylorMade's Customer Service Department?

2. My Irons are fitted for me, I however do not know how long they are/lie angles? Does TaylorMade need that information if they fix the club for me?

3. I have the receipt for the clubs, do I need anything else to get them fixed?

4. Do you have anymore knowledge on the customer service/getting my club fixed process?

5. Will a missing faceslot actually hurt the performance of the club?

Thanks everybody and happy Birdie hunting.

Very Respectfully

Michael Sullivan

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased a new set of RSI1 at the end of 2016. I caved my 4 iron in and called Taylormade. They could not replace the iron with a new one because they were no longer manufactured so they sent me a new set of 2017 M2 irons. They got all of my information concerning the lie angle, shaft length and oversized grips from the Golf Warehouse (location of original purchase) and i had a new set in less than a week. They were fantastic to work with. I had the same problem with my 5 iron and i expect it back in a day or two.

Call Taylormade and describe your issue with customer service. they will bend over backwards to make everything right.

All,

I purchased a new set of 2017 M2 Irons in FEB. The other day at the range my 6 iron's faceslot collapsed and then yesterday during the round the face slot actually broke out. I have emailed TaylorMade's customer service department and am waiting to hear back from them, but have some questions if anybody has ever dealt with TaylorMade before:

1. How is TaylorMade's Customer Service Department?

2. My Irons are fitted for me, I however do not know how long they are/lie angles? Does TaylorMade need that information if they fix the club for me?

3. I have the receipt for the clubs, do I need anything else to get them fixed?

4. Do you have anymore knowledge on the customer service/getting my club fixed process?

5. Will a missing faceslot actually hurt the performance of the club?

Thanks everybody and happy Birdie hunting.

Very Respectfully

Michael Sullivan

1. How is TaylorMade's Customer Service Department? -- Top notch, will take care of you

2. My Irons are fitted for me, I however do not know how long they are/lie angles? Does TaylorMade need that information if they fix the club for me? -- if they were custom, Taylormade will make sure your replacement is same specs

3. I have the receipt for the clubs, do I need anything else to get them fixed? -- should be enough

4. Do you have anymore knowledge on the customer service/getting my club fixed process? -- I had a warranty issue, my clubs were custom. I had new ones, shipped overnight by TM within 3 days.

5. Will a missing faceslot actually hurt the performance of the club? -- Yes or No, designed to help with forgiveness across the face -- depends how bad the issue is, but I'd bet in some way it isn't good for performance.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I think it's best to simply avoid any TM iron with 'face slots' at this point... :stop:

(RSi1, RSi2, RSiTP, PSI, PSI Tour, and 2017 M1/M2 irons all have these 'face slots')... :beee:

Just not worth the risk, IMO...the TM warranty is for 2-years only, after that you're simply 'screwed'.. :swoon:

THESE 'FACE SLOTS' ARE NOT SOMETHING YOU WANT TO WORRY ABOUT WHEN PLAYING THE GAME OF GOLF!

Why take this risk if you don't have to? There are plenty of other iron choices out there!.. :yes:

No need to become this guy... :swoon2:...Who needs the hassle?...Just DON'T do it!

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

I think it's best to simply avoid any TM iron with 'face slots' at this point... :stop:

(RSi1, RSi2, RSiTP, PSI, PSI Tour, and 2017 M1/M2 irons all have these 'face slots')... :beee:

Just not worth the risk, IMO...the TM warranty is for 2-years only, after that you're simply 'screwed'.. :swoon:

THESE 'FACE SLOTS' ARE NOT SOMETHING YOU SHOULD HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT WHEN PLAYING THE GAME OF GOLF!

Why take this risk if you don't have to? There are plenty of other iron choices out there!.. :yes:

No need to become this guy... :swoon2:

Have you ever had to warranty a club with TM

I had exactly the same problem with the 2017 M2 irons, except the face slots broke on the 5 and 7 irons too. The first set broke after 3 driving range sessions, and, shockingly, I managed to break one in the replacement set TM sent me after hitting about 30 balls!

In the end, I got the retailer (large UK national chain) to return the clubs and I got the P770.

TM customer service is good when it comes to replacing defective clubs, however as said above the warranty lasts 2 years, after which you'll have to bin them. I have a set of TM 320 from 2001, so I'd expect the 2017 M2 irons to last more than a couple of years.

Have a look at the competition from the 2017 range. I just happened to really like the P770 when I tried them and the numbers looked good. In my opinion the face slot idea is a gimmick and not worth all the hassle.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Day Golfers

I've have this problem as well.

Bought the M2 Irons a month ago.

Three hits on the 6 iron and the face slot (toe) broke out.

Went back to the retailer for a replacement, got it, broke the new one the same day.

Took that one back along with the set. They replaced the set.

Played Chambers Bay on Monday...7 iron is now broken and the 6 iron is showing signs it is about to fail (slot not flush with the face).

Obviously this is a quality control issue here....made in China?

I'm looking at getting a refund and looking at a different brand.

Too bad for this as I have been a loyal Taylormade golfer for years (on my 4th set)

Any suggestions on a different brand that plays similar?

Thanks

GB

I had exactly the same problem with the 2017 M2 irons, except the face slots broke on the 5 and 7 irons too. The first set broke after 3 driving range sessions, and, shockingly, I managed to break one in the replacement set TM sent me after hitting about 30 balls!

In the end, I got the retailer (large UK national chain) to return the clubs and I got the P770.

TM customer service is good when it comes to replacing defective clubs, however as said above the warranty lasts 2 years, after which you'll have to bin them. I have a set of TM 320 from 2001, so I'd expect the 2017 M2 irons to last more than a couple of years.

Have a look at the competition from the 2017 range. I just happened to really like the P770 when I tried them and the numbers looked good. In my opinion the face slot idea is a gimmick and not worth all the hassle.

^^^^ this ^^^^

Good Day Golfers

Went back to the retailer for a replacement, got it, broke the new one the same day.

Played Chambers Bay on Monday...7 iron is now broken and the 6 iron is showing signs it is about to fail (slot not flush with the face).

Too bad for this as I have been a loyal Taylormade golfer for years (on my 4th set)

Thanks

GB

First thought is maybe try the Callaway Apex line...

Good Day Golfers

Thanks

GB

Callaway steelhead and mizzy jpx 900 HM would be worthy like for like replacements.

THESE 'FACE SLOTS' ARE NOT SOMETHING YOU SHOULD HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT WHEN PLAYING THE GAME OF GOLF!

No need to become this guy... :swoon2:

Have you ever had to warranty a club with TM

No way! BobCat has atleast 27 SLDR C drivers so if he ever did break one it would just get replaced!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Have you ever had to warranty a club with TM?

No, thankfully I have not, nor have I heard of any quality issue with the particular TM heads that I use. That said, had I known a bit sooner that the KBS shafts in my TM irons are so prone to bending at the tips, I would have chosen a different shaft for my irons! I am now aware and concerned enough about this problem that I actually check for any tip bending after every round. I suspect at some point, I will replace my KBS shafts with more reliable Project-X iron shafts.. :angry:

I was certainly not happy to find out that KBS shafts are prone to failure after I acquired them. While I have since read that KBS has been willing to replace many of their failing shafts at no charge, that doesn't change the fact that it's a hassle and an additional expense. (You must pay someone to install the new shafts and pay for new grips, and then still live with the possibility that the new KBS shafts might fail in exactly the same way!).. :fie:

Though KBS is a different brand than TM, the lesson learned is applicable to TM products as well!.. :yes:

I am thankful that I didn't make the mistake of buying any TM products with 'known issues' such as elastomer coming loose from 'face slotted irons' leading to face collapse. Same case can be made for M-Family metalwoods which often form crown 'ridges' and are more prone to 'paint/face cracking' than other brands or models. I have this forum to thank for alerting me to those TM product failures. However, sincd these are well-known TM issues now, those who are have TM's face slotted irons and/or TM's M-Family of Metalwoods will need to watch out for these problems. (The TM warranty is for 2-years only)... :(

Lesson learned: Best to simply avoid any brand/model where there are 'known quality issues'!... :beee:

:golfer:

Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts

:offtopic2: No way! BobCat has atleast 27 SLDR-C drivers so if he ever did break one it would just get replaced!... :spamsign:

:taunt: ...You are trying so hard to be 'cute'... :D

Fact is, I own (2). A backup is needed when you travel via the airlines...plus it's a great driver!.. :good:

And yes, I still love it!... :wub:

Now back to the real Topic!.. :rolleyes:

:golfer:

• 1 month later...

Had this issue yesterday with my 6 iron. Which cut my hand while on the course btw. Called TM customer service line this morning and they were quick to offer a replacement iron be built to my specs and overnighted which is great customer service in my opinion. The person I spoke to said they would expedite the build but my question is how long will that take? I play in tournaments of some kind most every weekend and would hate to go a couple of weekends with a defective six iron.

Has anyone else gotten a club back from TM? How long did it take?

Thanks

Chris-P

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I had the 2017 M2 with the face slot issue and here is my dealings with TM. 5-8 irons were showing caving issues, contacted TM, replacement irons shipped next day to my custom specs. Not even a large range bucket later, same issues. I know I am not the best ball striker and have been working on my setup to the ball to address my tendency to hit off the toe. I have come a long way in my ball striking, but an occasional toe hit should not be causing these issues. I have 107MPH driver SS and high 80's to low 90's in the irons. Contacted TM again and while they wanted to send a third set, the rep saw this a possible repeating problem (DUH) and offered to put me in a different iron set, the problem with that is the majority of their irons all have these Face Slots. He put me on hold and offered me the P770 irons on a direct and even exchange or the 750's for a 300$ upcharge. I took the offer on the 770's and I am going to be in for a rude awaking I think. Time to really focus on my ball striking because I wnet to a B and M and hit the 770's on a TrackMan, and they let you know when you mishit it. Plus when I did hit one flush, the loss in yardage from the M2 was an eye opener. TM customer service is second to none and they will go to great lengths to make it right.

I hope my experience has helped anyone here with the process that TM has to warranty clubs and if anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer.

Take care, and hit em straight! :lock:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

I recently noticed on my clubs that the faceslots seems to have popped out a little bit. So after checking my other clubs I noticed that the 6i and 5i. Have the same issue

I was a bit worried so done a quick search and found this.

Looks like I've caught it on the early stage of the face caving in.

I am very gutted because only had these 2 months. And I'm starting to play some decent golf with them.

My worry is now that it will always be in my head about this problem. I bought these from American Golf in the U.K. So I will take the issue back to them.

Love the club, love the feel, the look. But going forward I wont be comfortable with having another set of M2's because of this issue with them.

Any updates on how TM resolved the issues for the people who are having this problem??

I recently won a set in a tournament and was looking to trade them in for irons that suited me better. One store I spoke with said they do not carry the 2017 M2 because of the faces caving in. The owner then proceeded to show me his demo iron head from the fitting cart that had been caved in at the toe. The owner told me that any shot hit on the toe can potentially cave in the face.

TSr4 Ventus Blue Velocore TR 6x
TSr3 15* Ventus Blue Velocore TR 7x
SLDR 2 Hybrid Hzrdus Matrix Blacktie S
T100s 4-P PX 6.5
SM9 50F, 55S PX 6.5 and 60M S400
Newport

I recently won a set in a tournament and was looking to trade them in for irons that suited me better. One store I spoke with said they do not carry the 2017 M2 because of the faces caving in. The owner then proceeded to show me his demo iron head from the fitting cart that had been caved in at the toe. The owner told me that any shot hit on the toe can potentially cave in the face.

Really? This seems to be getting a really common fault with these. Disappointed how the brand Taylormade which are the leading club manufacturer at the moment are having these issues.

After trying a number of clubs out these were the best for me for the " forgiving club " shame really my handicap is coming down and the biggest improvement are because of my irons.

Think I'll have to start looking at getting the forged irons Hopefully TM can give me a discount or possibly replace them for me.

Gutted for TM and also gutted because my golf is at the best it's ever been

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've seen a lot of the come back through my store for warranty. Majority of the issue is severe/consistent toe shots will fracture the polymer injection (as evidenced by Kapp's photo). Is it a design flaw? Absolutely it is. However, the golf club really isn't designed to be hit there consistently. It's the same with driver shafts shattering at the hosel or an iron breaking at the hosel. Sure it is a design flaw, but they aren't meant to be hit off the extreme heel or bounced off of the ground at speeds of upwards of 100mph.

Same applies here, Taylormade is probably looking into fixing this issue with a higher strength polymer but at the end of the day it isn't designed to be hit with a golf ball at upwards of 75-90mph either. Also, little known fact, keeping your clubs in your car or your garage overnight where it gets very humid and hot will absolutely cause these inserts to warp, deform, and eventually fail. So PSA, keep your clubs in your house, people.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

I've seen a lot of the come back through my store for warranty. Majority of the issue is severe/consistent toe shots will fracture the polymer injection (as evidenced by Kapp's photo). Is it a design flaw? Absolutely it is. However, the golf club really isn't designed to be hit there consistently. It's the same with driver shafts shattering at the hosel or an iron breaking at the hosel. Sure it is a design flaw, but they aren't meant to be hit off the extreme heel or bounced off of the ground at speeds of upwards of 100mph.

Same applies here, Taylormade is probably looking into fixing this issue with a higher strength polymer but at the end of the day it isn't designed to be hit with a golf ball at upwards of 75-90mph either. Also, little known fact, keeping your clubs in your car or your garage overnight where it gets very humid and hot will absolutely cause these inserts to warp, deform, and eventually fail. So PSA, keep your clubs in your house, people.

Agree with you 100%. I will say in my case- Ive literally had this club for a little over a month and was used probably 3 rounds or so. Out of those 3 rounds, if I had to guess, I used that specific club probably less than 12 times so I would challenge that consistent mishits led to this. In addition, this model is designed to be a super game improvement iron and it should be expected that there are going to be mishits.

Agree with you 100%. I will say in my case- Ive literally had this club for a little over a month and was used probably 3 rounds or so. Out of those 3 rounds, if I had to guess, I used that specific club probably less than 12 times so I would challenge that consistent mishits led to this. In addition, this model is designed to be a super game improvement iron and it should be expected that there are going to be mishits.

I didn't mean to explicitly say YOU were the problem, I just figured since you showed a pic with a toe shot I'd use it as an example. Sometimes it can take only 1 swing, right? That perfectly centered strike with a 75+ mph swing speed on a thin piece of injection molded plastic, who do you think is going to win? The golf ball every time. I agree with you that they should expect mishits but I'm not the designer, if it was me I wouldn't have polymer in there at all. Clearly Taylormade is expecting that a mishit is never going to be outside of the groove pattern, when we all know too well that once and a while a strike falls outside of them and you unfortunately get this issue.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

I didn't mean to explicitly say YOU were the problem, I just figured since you showed a pic with a toe shot I'd use it as an example. Sometimes it can take only 1 swing, right? That perfectly centered strike with a 75+ mph swing speed on a thin piece of injection molded plastic, who do you think is going to win? The golf ball every time. I agree with you that they should expect mishits but I'm not the designer, if it was me I wouldn't have polymer in there at all. Clearly Taylormade is expecting that a mishit is never going to be outside of the groove pattern, when we all know too well that once and a while a strike falls outside of them and you unfortunately get this issue.

Yep- intention was not to come off defensive.. We're saying the same thing

Taylormade knows that people miss shots on the toe. What they apparently didn't know is that the sealer they selected would not bond effectively to the metal club head frame in some instances. This could be a "design" problem or maybe a process problem at the head manufacturer. I won't assume which.

And then there is the fact that the M2 faces tend to cave in. That might be the bigger problem. One way or another it seems that Taylormade didn't vet the design/manufacturing process for these clubs very well. As we know Taylormade is always in a rush to release their "latest and greatest" clubs and these problems are the result of that rushed approach.

Personally, I think the overall design approach with the slots in the face and sole is very innovative. Too bad they (and their mfg house) can't get it right though.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

has anyone got a picture of their irons with this seemingly common problem ?

Just noticed this yesterday on my 7 iron. Gamed it less than 4 rounds. Havent made my call to TM yet. Small puncture near the toe. Hoping they replace my set with something different or get a full refund.

68ba93c64cf08de3ace637249b3e3b18.jpg

Has anyone seen a hole like this in their face slot? I know there were issues of swelling and caving. Just curious if this is related.

has anyone got a picture of their irons with this seemingly common problem ?

Just noticed this yesterday on my 7 iron. Gamed it less than 4 rounds. Havent made my call to TM yet. Small puncture near the toe. Hoping they replace my set with something different or get a full refund.

Has anyone seen a hole like this in their face slot? I know there were issues of swelling and caving. Just curious if this is related.

that's a first time for me -- clearly looks like you hit it out of a bunker or sandy soil -- should be no issue to replace under warranty.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”