Tips for Scotland as a single

I'm starting some long range planning for a 50th birthday trip to Scotland next year. It will be my first time there, and I'll be travelling with my wife and daughter and will be the only golfer in the group. That will likely kill any chance of any 36-hole days but that really doesn't bother me to be honest. I'm guessing we'll spend probably a total of nine days over there and will likely visit Glasgow, Edinburgh, and St. Andrews. There will probably be a couple of non-golf days mixed in to those nine days. My initial thought was that I would try to play one of the big name courses, maybe Troon or Prestwick, while in Glasgow. While in Edinburgh I'd love to make a side trip for a night to North Berwick to play there at least once, maybe twice. On the St. Andrews leg is probably when I'm likely to play most of my golf. I definitely want to do the Old Course so I guess as a single that means getting there one morning crazy early for the queue. Not sure where else I'd play while in St. Andrews. Kingsbarns looks great but pretty expensive. At some point on the trip, I'd love to get to at least one or two "hidden gem", off-the-beaten-path type courses as well. I'd love any suggestions, especially from those who have experience over there as a single. Would also love any suggestions on how to manage the logistics of the trip as far as hiring a car, taking mass transit, etc.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loads of great courses that aren't big tourist draws. You will enjoy them as much if not more. To really experience Scottish golf you need to experience the Scots themselves. Contact some of the smaller courses by email and introduce yourself to the club secretary explaining your situation and that you have read about their course and could they arrange for you to play a round with some members. You'll be surprised at the hospitality both at golf and afterwards at the 19th.

Try Levin, Elie, Lundin Links

Do a little research of other courses and their proximity to St Andrews.

Playing St Andrews for obvious reasons will be a blast. Kingsbarns is a nice course played by many tourists but I enjoyed many much less expensive courses in Scotland and Ireland much more because of the "experience" and hospitality offered. Kingsbarns is somewhat of a contrived offering but one people will pay to play.

For a unique side trip both for you and your family drive from Glasgow along Loch Lomondt and then out to the mull of kintyre. Here the family can have a nice day visiting the town of Campbeltown while you play the fantastic course Macrahanish. Thats a memory that will last you a lifetime!!

There are plenty of hidden gems and I would add Crail (Balcomie) to the above list in Fife. If you fancy a quality inland course not far from St Andrews I would recommend Ladybank. May people say the 'New' course at St Andrews is the best of all. In north Fife Scotscraig is an excellent course.

I cannot recommend North Berwick (West Links) highly enough (my favourite course anywhere) but East Lothian is packed. Worth the trip for purely historic reasons is Dunbar. I also like Gullane (1&2 obviously, 3 is fun), Luffness New is amazing, obviously Muirfield (you can get on) and another very enjoyable course is The Glen (also in North Berwick). You really are spoilt for choice.

I'm starting some long range planning for a 50th birthday trip to Scotland next year. It will be my first time there, and I'll be travelling with my wife and daughter and will be the only golfer in the group. That will likely kill any chance of any 36-hole days but that really doesn't bother me to be honest. I'm guessing we'll spend probably a total of nine days over there and will likely visit Glasgow, Edinburgh, and St. Andrews. There will probably be a couple of non-golf days mixed in to those nine days. My initial thought was that I would try to play one of the big name courses, maybe Troon or Prestwick, while in Glasgow. While in Edinburgh I'd love to make a side trip for a night to North Berwick to play there at least once, maybe twice. On the St. Andrews leg is probably when I'm likely to play most of my golf. I definitely want to do the Old Course so I guess as a single that means getting there one morning crazy early for the queue. Not sure where else I'd play while in St. Andrews. Kingsbarns looks great but pretty expensive. At some point on the trip, I'd love to get to at least one or two "hidden gem", off-the-beaten-path type courses as well. I'd love any suggestions, especially from those who have experience over there as a single. Would also love any suggestions on how to manage the logistics of the trip as far as hiring a car, taking mass transit, etc.

Like someone else has stated, there are a lot of great courses that don't have the big names. I would suggest that you purchase a book written by Allan Ferguson http://fergusongolf.com/, he helped arrange a trip for myself and wife with two other couples in 2005. He knows all the courses and a lot of contacts in these areas. It will save you some money and time. Enjoy your trip!

As much as I love Crail, I'd recommend Elie above it - there are so many great holes on Elie that you will dream about for years! Additionally, I would suggest that you look into the Eden Course at St. Andrews - I've played all of the St. Andrews courses and I think I enjoyed the Eden as much as any of them. The Old Course is my favorite, but the Eden is very fun to play. I would also suggest Leven and Lundin as great seaside links - can't go wrong with any of them.

should be able to get a tee time at carnoustie fairly easily ... it's not too far from st andrews ... turnberry is doable, but you'd have to pay the resort fee to stay there one night (and i'm not sure it's going to be on the rotation any time in the future - just sayin) ... royal aberdeen is a very nice course ... decent drive up north ... royal dornoch would be great, but it's way up there ... far as travel, rent a car for any long trips across the country ... driving's not that big of a deal ...

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone know the process for getting on as a single at Carnoustie?

Ping G430 LST 10.5°, Fujikura Ventus Red TR 6X
TaylorMade Stealth Rescue 22° Fujikura Ventus 8X
Miura KM-700, 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 Wedgeworks: 52-12F, 56-10S, 60-04T DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx 
Vokey Limited Edition: 64-04W, DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx
LAB Mezz.1 Arm Lock LAGP White Shaft

Ah i live in scotland and il tell you you have to get on north berwick such a good track, also near is dunbar golf course now this is a class hidden gem you will love it. western gailes is fantastic on the other coast then up the road you should try montrose its about £50 me and my mate play it a lot in winter for £20 and the first 7 holes rival pebble trust me on this. my favorite courses are north berwick, old course st andrews, spey valley, blairgowrie and probably royal aberdeen thou

North Berwick is fantastic, you will get ( for me) the best welcome in Scotland here; they really take care of you.

Played a few times last year - last time was in December and condition was superb - greens amazing for December.

A proper golf course, right on the beach with some amazing holes - great to have a traditional 9 out and 9 back in layout.

I holed loads of putts and shot 4 under - could have been better :)

yeah zigzog you are right there , the traditional courses like berwick and dunbar and crial balcombe and troon and so on are the best. avoid the renaissance and the american crap like archerfield no offense lol but traditional scottish golf courses you guys come to play them but all were building now is american style its a shame but yeah to everyone north berwick and hope to aberlady to the ducks inn after :)