Vintage Hybrid review, Kasco K2K and Super Tornado

OsnolaKinnard

I've been gaming the Adams DHy Pro 21, 24, and 27* hybrids, and while they have served me well...they are not exactly everything I had ever hoped for in a hyrbid club. I use them primarily on short par 4 tee shots and par 3s.

I started my search at Edwin Watts in Corpus Christi, and tried offerings from Callaway, Taylor Made, Titleist, and even a few older Nike clubs. Nothing really rung my bell.

I started digging around on Ebay and found a Kasco K2K 44 with the factory stock stiff shaft. Condition was acceptable, and I bought the club for $45 shipped to the casa. I could not find a K2K 55 in the appropriate shaft, but did find a slightly newer model, the "Super Tornado" which is pretty much the same club as the K2K. The 44 is 19* and 55 is 22*...both have the factory Kasco Stiff flex graphite shaft

This is not my first go around with the Kasco as I originally gamed the 44 in Iowa...and I gave the club as part of a replacement bag to my uncle that lost everything in Katrina.

Anyway...to the range. The very first swing with the 44 was exactly how I remembered it...a light 'clink', and a nice solid feel, and a ball flight that arcs high, flies straight, and lands softly about 215-220 yards away. I did this with BORING regularity at the range today. I'd wager I had 10 shots that were all within 10-15 yards of each other. Ball flight is, surprisingly, not towering, but the ball does get up in the air quickly. The ball lands softly. When the K2K first came out, I described it as hitting a Pitching wedge from 220 yards. Well...that holds as true today as it did a decade ago.

The Super Tornado 55, despite looking similar, is not the same. It has a slightly deeper face. Differences are subtle, but not glaring at address. I hate to sound like a broken record, but the results with the 55 are identical to the 44, except the ball flies 200-205 yards. Again, imagine a PW that hits the ball 200-205 yards. The ball flight is identical to the 44, gets up quick, medium trajectory, and lands softly.

Here's where the clubs get 'interesting'...want to hit a bump and run from 90 yards...no problem. The 44 is actually AWESOME at this shot...just a short turn and a slight pop, and the ball jumps up, and runs out easily. Want to hit a 160 yard knock down? Grab the 55, play the ball UP in your stance, and hit a knock down...ball flies low and straight, and bounces predictably up to the green.

I actually spent some time jacking around 'chipping' off the edge of the practice green with great effect. The sole is 'radiused' so to speak, and makes using this club in green side rough very easy, and it gets the ball up over the rough and rolling on the green quickly.

I'm sure there are better hybrids...but for me, the K2K is still the king of all hybrids.

I am glad that they are back in the bag.

Awesome to hear. Glad you find your groove with the hybrids again. It just goes to show you that it doesn't have to be the latest and greatest nor does it have to have a "brand" name or a flashy shaft to get the job done. Looking at my bag you'd think I wouldn't agree with your assessment but I have always been a big proponent of playing what works. During fittings I do tend to encourage people to stay with equipment, regardless of what it is, if it is performing well. Sometimes something works and we have no idea why it works.

Hopefully the consistency stays with you as you get some rounds under your belt.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

I still have a Kasco k2k 44 in the garage. Love that thing. I can hit the same trajectory off the cartpath as the fairway.

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2

Kasco made the best fairway woods and hybrids. Their Super Hyten material was very hot and way ahead of its time. I still game a KC103 5 wood some 20 years later. I also have a few KP99 3 woods that I could throw in the bag no problem if I needed to. Great clubs, some of the best ever.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

Came back from the range again this morning...it is no fluke. The K2K is a boring club to use. That's the only way I can describe it. Swing smooth, pick the ball clean, and watch it soar to about 225 and lands like a butterfly with sore feet. Why did I ever stop playing these things?

If I could find a 22/13* model, I'd buy it and put it in the bag.

Came back from the range again this morning...it is no fluke. The K2K is a boring club to use. That's the only way I can describe it. Swing smooth, pick the ball clean, and watch it soar to about 225 and lands like a butterfly with sore feet. Why did I ever stop playing these things?

If I could find a 22/13* model, I'd buy it and put it in the bag.

I sent you a PM

• Like 1

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

• 2 months later...

So, here we are in October, and the Kasco K2K's are SOLIDLY in the bag.

Highlight shots includes a 215 yard par 3 that left me a 3 foot kick in birdie, and a 230 yard approach (wind aided) on a par 5 that left me 8 feet for an eagle...I missed and had a tap in birdie.

I've used these clubs to set up numerous pars on short par 4's and set up approach shots on par 5's...also, they are FANTASTIC out of the rough and have allowed me to save par several times.

Wonderful clubs.

I have had a Kasco K2K 33 in play for 17 years. Bought it at a Kasco demo day in the spring of 2000 and have reshafted it multiple times. I have the original dark green colored model (not the e-spec). My buddies nicknamed it "The Pickle" because of the color and shape. It's kinda part hybrid/part fairway metal.

The OP's comments are spot on. This club is extremely easy to hit, launches high, flies long and true without ballooning. It's also very versatile and will extricate the ball from dicey lies. I consider it a par 5 assault weapon...lol!

I have a 44 and a 22 also, but the 33 fits right in my bag as a 4/5 wood or 2 hybrid. It flies 235 fully ripped, but I can throttle it back with punch shots. It's easier to draw than fade, and it lands nice and soft.

These clubs have somewhat of a cult following at my club, with many of our better players using various iterations because of watching what I do with mine and asking to try it.

As has been stated, this club was way ahead of its time and still beats the current hybrids.

• Like 1

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

• 1 month later...

true. the banana was out a little before the kasco . it has a longer shaft and is more of a fairway wood replacement than an iron. I still find them occasionally at used /thrift stores locally they were sold here in jax fla at a shop that's still in biz.

Hahaa...the banana came before the pickle!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

true. the banana was out a little before the kasco . it has a longer shaft and is more of a fairway wood replacement than an iron. I still find them occasionally at used /thrift stores locally they were sold here in jax fla at a shop that's still in biz.

I was a KASCO rep for 10 years; and the K2K when it came out in 2000 was first laughed at but then " everyone said wow ". The models were 11d / 11f. / 22/33/44/55/77/99 followed late by the k2k- 01 driver which looked the same in 9.5/10/5 and 12. Kirk Triplett was staff played and loved the 11f which was a 11 degree fairway.The metal - super hyten was 2.5x harder than titanium.Super clubs but lack of advertising here ended it.Even CLINT EASTWOOD played a set of the k2k irons.

JP still has a 33. He us3d the 11 for a year too. Both were reliable and long. The stock shaft was very playable.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

I go around to thrifts and flea markets and collect up all the banana clubs I can and return them to jim lauden golf inc and in return he allows me shop credit or the pick of what ever I want from his vintage inventory or builds me a custom club of my choice . itsa win-win for us both. the foundry closed that made them so they can no longer be made.

73 hogan apex

I was a KASCO rep for 10 years; and the K2K when it came out in 2000 was first laughed at but then " everyone said wow ". The models were 11d / 11f. / 22/33/44/55/77/99 followed late by the k2k- 01 driver which looked the same in 9.5/10/5 and 12. Kirk Triplett was staff played and loved the 11f which was a 11 degree fairway.The metal - super hyten was 2.5x harder than titanium.Super clubs but lack of advertising here ended it.Even CLINT EASTWOOD played a set of the k2k irons.

I remember like it was yesterday. We had a demo day at my club in the spring of 2000 and a Kasco rep was there with the K2K. He didn't get much attention, but I tried the 33 and bought it on the spot. Wasn't cheap either, around $300. It's been in my bag ever since and plays about like a 4 wood distance-wise, but is incredibly versatile and easy to hit from all types of lies. It's also the epitome of high launch and lowish spin.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 10/17/2017 at 5:22 AM, dpb5031 said:

I have had a Kasco K2K 33 in play for 17 years. Bought it at a Kasco demo day in the spring of 2000 and have reshafted it multiple times. I have the original dark green colored model (not the e-spec). My buddies nicknamed it "The Pickle" because of the color and shape. It's kinda part hybrid/part fairway metal.

The OP's comments are spot on. This club is extremely easy to hit, launches high, flies long and true without ballooning. It's also very versatile and will extricate the ball from dicey lies. I consider it a par 5 assault weapon...lol!

I have a 44 and a 22 also, but the 33 fits right in my bag as a 4/5 wood or 2 hybrid. It flies 235 fully ripped, but I can throttle it back with punch shots. It's easier to draw than fade, and it lands nice and soft.

These clubs have somewhat of a cult following at my club, with many of our better players using various iterations because of watching what I do with mine and asking to try it.

As has been stated, this club was way ahead of its time and still beats the current hybrids.

The pickle is back in my bag.  I am so hyped to have the versatility again.   Thanks brother!

• Like 1

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]