Callaway MD4 Wedges - What's the Verdict?

Comments

• wobgonwobgon Members  7884WRX Points: 622Posts: 7,884 Titanium Tees
    I am not a fan of these with the stock shaft......Too light for me, but i always play a 130 gram shaft in irons......Anxious to try these with heavier shaft.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Sir edward of putternutSir edward of putternut DARTH SMUG Members  1370WRX Points: 96Posts: 1,370 Platinum Tees
    wobgon wrote:

I am not a fan of these with the stock shaft......Too light for me, but i always play a 130 gram shaft in irons......Anxious to try these with heavier shaft.

Sounds like they are not your huckleberry
    Posted:
    Mizuno mp-5(px 5.5, 4-pw)
    Adams Pro 19'
    Hogan 51,55
    Callaway 60 pm grind
    Byron Morgan 007
    Callaway EpicSZ 9.0
    Mizuno JPX 900 3w

• Le ShizzleLe Shizzle Members  75WRX Points: 0Handicap: 1.4Posts: 75
    I ended up getting the MD4's, they arrived yesterday. For me they just have too much bounce for most shots around the greens where I open the face up. Even square face was inconsistent. In an effort to reduce the bounce as low as possible I hit a bunch of shots with a shut face and they were fine, and in the bunkers(wet sand)they were great.

Bit disappointing, as I'd come from using Mizuno MP T-11's with 7 bounce in the SW/LW. Figured the switch to 8* would be fine, unless the grind design is just atrocious. I'd have to modify everything to be super steep to make these work, will see how they go with 2 bounce/loft knocked off before I offload them.

Considering the conditions today were as soft as you'd find on the sandbelt as it's rained for 7 of the last 9 days, and the grass had been let grow a bit high, today was as well suited to a bit more bounce as possible. Would hate to see them in summer.
    Posted:
  • Double DutchDouble Dutch Members  567WRX Points: 38Handicap: 10.7Posts: 567 Golden Tee
    For me, the 52 flew almost as far as my pitching wedge. So I decided to keep my 50* set gap wedge. Still, I loved the feel of the md4 and it’s got me pondering if the shafts in my irons are right for me, as I would expect the Apex irons with lighter shafts should be longer than a bladed wedge at the same loft.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
    Taylormade M1 3HL
    Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
    Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
    Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
    Scotty Cameron Newport original
  • 1Mordrid11Mordrid1 Members  941WRX Points: 311Posts: 941 Golden Tee
    Le Shizzle wrote:

I ended up getting the MD4's, they arrived yesterday. For me they just have too much bounce for most shots around the greens where I open the face up. Even square face was inconsistent. In an effort to reduce the bounce as low as possible I hit a bunch of shots with a shut face and they were fine, and in the bunkers(wet sand)they were great.

Bit disappointing, as I'd come from using Mizuno MP T-11's with 7 bounce in the SW/LW. Figured the switch to 8* would be fine, unless the grind design is just atrocious. I'd have to modify everything to be super steep to make these work, will see how they go with 2 bounce/loft knocked off before I offload them.

Considering the conditions today were as soft as you'd find on the sandbelt as it's rained for 7 of the last 9 days, and the grass had been let grow a bit high, today was as well suited to a bit more bounce as possible. Would hate to see them in summer.

You should look at the MD PM Grind....I find them to be the most versatile wedges I have ever played. I love the extended grooves near the toe for when I open the face for flop shots. Some people do not like the "rounded" leading edge design for full shots, but I have not had an issue with it. TM also has a high toe design with a straighter leading edge, but I have not had a chance to hit it yet.
    Posted:
  • rnolan79rnolan79 Dayton, OhioMembers  121WRX Points: 86Posts: 121 Fairways
    I added two MD4 Raw wedges to replace some wedges while I wait for artisan to start offering to the general public. I had these built with the Nippon Modus Pro 125 Wedge shaft. I have not weighed them but they feel very heavy which i like. So far so good for me really like them out of the sand. I went c grind in the 54 degree and have a 50 degree as well. I also just went to the PM grind 60 and can't recomend that enough feels like cheating out of the sand.
    Posted:
    Callaway: Epic Flash Sub-Zero Triple Diamond 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S 
    Callaway: Epic 15 Graphite Design Tour DI-7 S
    Callaway: X2 Hot Pro 17 Aldila Tour ATX Green S
    Callaway: X2 Hot Pro Hybrid 20 Graphite Design Tour AD 95 S
    Cobra: Cobra King Forged MB 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 120S
    Artisan: 50,54,58 Raw Tour Issue S400 
    TaylorMade: Spider 34 inch Superstroke Counterbalance

Advertisement
  • PhilWhitUKPhilWhitUK Members  122WRX Points: 47Posts: 122 Fairways
    I agree. 50 and 54 MD4 and a PM 58. I have three different bounces and grinds and that means a range of choices although the 50 is mainly for full shots.
    Posted:
    WITB:
    M4 driver, 3 and 5 wood
    G25 4 hybrid
    i200 irons
    TM Spider Tour
    MD4 50 & 54 with 58 PM grind
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX  2848WRX Points: 410Handicap: 8Posts: 2,848 ClubWRX
    PhilWhitUK wrote:

I agree. 50 and 54 MD4 and a PM 58. I have three different bounces and grinds and that means a range of choices although the 50 is mainly for full shots.

You guys are right about the PM grind. I have the 58. For short pitches, hard to beat. But I also have a MD4 raw 58 degree x grind and it also is really nice and easy out of bunkers. I try all sorts of wedges and the Callaways are great. Only other wedge I like as much, in the lower bounce category, are the Miuras.

I am definitely going to acquire an MD4 W grind in 54 degrees. I liked that grind in the MD3 and like the refinements they made in the new version.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • Need4spdNeed4spd Members  1610WRX Points: 209Posts: 1,610 Platinum Tees
    Spin is off the charts, like literally off the charts. This quickly became an issue for me in full shots. I’ll admit that it was nice around the green as I’ve longed for the green side spin that I used to get as a teenager playing balata balls. However, I have gaps that I like and wind up hitting full shots with my wedges fairly often. With the MD4’s I was literally 3/4 of a club to a full club shorter than normal. It’s certainly a testament to the micro-groove technology but unfortunately it didn’t fit my game/swing.
    Posted:
    In the Hoofer

TaylorMade M5 10.5° Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S
    TaylorMade M2 15° Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70-S  
    TaylorMade RSi TP UDI #2 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-95 S  
    Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW KBS Tour $-Taper 120 S
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D KBS Tour 120 S
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Select 2.6
    Titleist ProV1X
  • paztormikepaztormike Members  180WRX Points: 78Posts: 180 Fairways
    Need4spd wrote:

Spin is off the charts, like literally off the charts. This quickly became an issue for me in full shots. I’ll admit that it was nice around the green as I’ve longed for the green side spin that I used to get as a teenager playing balata balls. However, I have gaps that I like and wind up hitting full shots with my wedges fairly often. With the MD4’s I was literally 3/4 of a club to a full club shorter than normal. It’s certainly a testament to the micro-groove technology but unfortunately it didn’t fit my game/swing.

I agree that the spin is off the charts. However, I have actually been carrying the ball farther than my last wedges (Cleveland RTX 3), but they spin a TON. Often, I am shocked by the amount of spin. After a couple of months of using these wedges, I had to admit that it was just too much and too unpredictable. I also have had some problems hitting a lower, penetrating shot with these wedges.

So, I swapped shafts. I put in the KBS Tour V wedge shaft, the same one that Callaway uses in the PM Grind wedges. This made all the difference. Not only can I flight the ball lower, I am not spinning the ball off of the green.

It is pretty clear to me that the S200 shafts that come stock in these clubs were lighter and more flexible and just put a ton of spin on these. I am very happy with these heads with the KBS shafts in them. Great feel and much more reasonable spin.
    Posted:
  • JoelsimJoelsim Members  1419WRX Points: 522Handicap: 12Posts: 1,419 Platinum Tees
    I wouldn’t buy a gap/utility wedge MD4 which was often going to be used for full shots, the Cleveland CBX 52 is a better wedge for that. However, within 50 yards the MD4 wins hands down.
    Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Fairways: Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff and TaylorMade M6 3 Wood
    Utility: Wilson Staff Model Utility #3 Regular KBS
    Hybrid: Titleist TS2 21* Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Irons: Ping G410 5-PW (#5 at power spec loft)
    Wedges: Callaway MD5 Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S, Cleveland CBX 2 50, 54 and 58
    Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Bettinardi Queen Bee #9 (Winn Dri-Tac), Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip).

Advertisement
  • Gilmore-HappyGilmore-Happy Members  99WRX Points: 30Posts: 99 Fairways
    I haven't planned on switching wedges at all, but thought I would just demo these for fun at the range. Not a fan at all. Like was said above, they feel WAY too light for me. It's going to take something really convincing for me to take my raw Mack Daddy Forged wedges out of the bag.
    Posted:
  • Night trainNight train Members  2885WRX Points: 262Posts: 2,885 Titanium Tees
    For those that don't like the stock shaft.........there is a BIG variety of shaft options available on these in Callaway's website. I usually alway order their wedges direct, so easy to get the spec's, grip, and shaft you want.......and it's usually pretty quick.
    Posted:
  • danmurphdanmurph Members  62WRX Points: 0Handicap: +1Posts: 62
    I think I am going to pick up MD4’s soon
    Posted:
  • 76mpg76mpg Members  352WRX Points: 100Posts: 352 Greens

AmpliFIRE wrote:

I love the MD2, MD3 PM grind and MD forged. Can't go wrong with any of those options, and I doubt the MD4 is an improvement (IMO).

I have MD2, and like the shape. The MD4's have a changed shape. Based on the info below from the WRX release article, I'm not as likely to like the MD4.

Grooves aren’t the only difference you’ll notice in the new Mack Daddy 4 wedges, however. Based on Tour feedback, Callaway has designed the wedges with a more compact shape, straighter leading edges, tighter leading edge radii, and slightly more offset throughout the line, according to Callaway.

Long time md2 user as well. I can't get used to the look of the md forged or md4s, way too much toe on them, scoring lines are oriented pretty far to the heel side of the face.
    Posted:
  • Tampajoe3Tampajoe3 Members  321WRX Points: 79Posts: 321 Greens
    very happy with mine. both my 56/60 are c-grind. I have a shallow swing and haven't had any problem with the bounce. I was using a md3 in my 56 and md2 tour in my 60 prior going to the md4's. I put the modus 105 in them to match my irons.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60
    Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood with Aldila Rogue Silver 60
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 hybrid with Aldila Tour Green
    Cobra F6 4-5 hybrid with Matrix Red Tie
    Callaway Apex 19  6-AW irons with Nippon Modus 105
    Callaway MD Forged 52 with Nippon 990 shaft
     Callaway MD4 56 with Nippon Modus 105
    Callaway MD4 60 with Nippon Modus 105
    Odyssey Exo #7 or O-works #7 or Odyssey Works #7 or Bettinardi Studio Stock 9

Advertisement
  • Colonel_SteelheadColonel_Steelhead OMembers  924WRX Points: 115Handicap: 2HiPosts: 924 Golden Tee
    Same (great) as the MD3 for me once I took out the womens weight shaft.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 10.5,3W,5W (Eye 2 1,3,5)
    Ping Eye 2+no+ 3-SW, BeCu+ LW
    Ping 30th Anniversary Anser, Pat Pend. Anser 2
    Titleist Pro V1
  • lazyjc4lazyjc4 Members  938WRX Points: 133Handicap: 5.9Posts: 938 Golden Tee
    Which grind would be most similar to the M grind on Vokey wedges?
    Posted:
    Mizuno ST190G 8.5 Tensei Blue CK 70
    Cobra F7 3/4 14.5* Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75
    Callaway '19 Apex 18* Evenflow Black 85
    Hogan PTx 21*, 25*,29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45*, DG S300
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54* Project X PSI,
    60* Modus 105
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X #8
    Titleist AVX 
  • JoelsimJoelsim Members  1419WRX Points: 522Handicap: 12Posts: 1,419 Platinum Tees
    The C Grind I imagine, or maybe the X.

The C is certainly the one with the most heel and toe relief.
    Posted:
    Fairways: Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff and TaylorMade M6 3 Wood
    Wedges: Callaway MD5 Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S, Cleveland CBX 2 50, 54 and 58
    Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Bettinardi Queen Bee #9 (Winn Dri-Tac), Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip).
    If they had a 64 C Grind I’d buy one immediately. Have the MD3 of that and it’s truly excellent. But for some, very strange reason they’re only offering the 64 with the S Grind. Just weird.
    Posted:
  • HifadeHifade Sleepin' on the job. Slacker! Dayton, OHCharter Members  5347WRX Points: 182Handicap: +3Posts: 5,347 Titanium Tees
    Put the MD4 54* S grind and 58* X grind in play, in chrome. Absolutely love the X grind in the 58*....it is incredibly versatile everywhere. Was not as happy with the 54* S grind and figured I'd pick up a 54* to match my 58*, then realized they do not offer the 54* in the X grind in chrome. The only 54* X grind available is in the raw and those are back-ordered at Cally until mid-July. The other day I found both a 54* and a 58* set in raw AND both in the X grind on the bay. Snatched them both up and they'll be here today. I'll reshaft with my trusty, original PX satins and be good to go. For the record, I was an MD2 users tried and true and swore I'd not put a cast wedge in play. These changed my mind and now I'm in with both feet. Actually, I'm interested in how the raw will feel compared to my chromes.
    Posted:
    PING G410 LST 9* - "Tour Issue" ALTA RED "X" 
    PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
    PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
    TAYLORMADE BLACK P790's - SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S (HSx1)
    CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
    ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM
    2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Advertisement
    I don’t understand why anyone would buy an S Grind. Jack of all trades, master of none.

I can see the benefits of the W, the C and the X. The S is just a compromise.
    Posted:
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ALClubWRX  3493WRX Points: 402Handicap: +1Posts: 3,493 ClubWRX
    Joelsim wrote:

I don’t understand why anyone would buy an S Grind. Jack of all trades, master of none.

My 51 is an s grind. I use it mostly for full swings and it’s great grind for that.
    Posted:
    Taylormade m1 2017 driver
    Taylormade m6 3 wood 
    Taylormade tour preferred CB 4-pw
    Taylormade mg2 52
    Taylormade mg2 58
    Scotty Cameron putter 

Bag #2:
    Callaway Mavrik SZ driver
    Callaway Mavrik 3 wood
    Callaway Apex Pro 3, 4, 5
    Callaway Apex MB 6-pw
    Callaway MD5 52
    Callaway MD5 58
    Odyssey ProType 5
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD Members  1587WRX Points: 801Handicap: 1.8Posts: 1,587 Platinum Tees
    Do the MD4 wedges have serial numbers? Picked up a raw set off the bay with no identifiers I can see.
    Posted:
    SIM 8* Ventus Black 6X
    G410 LST  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    Epic Flash SZ 15* Tensei PW 80TX
    2-PW Ping Blueprint DG X7
    55* SM8 Raw
    61* SM8 Raw
    L.A.B 2.1 

bogeypro wrote:

Joelsim wrote:

My 51 is an s grind. I use it mostly for full swings and it’s great grind for that.

But surely a W would be even better?
    Posted:
    DFS PFD wrote:

Do the MD4 wedges have serial numbers? Picked up a raw set off the bay with no identifiers I can see.

No, they don’t.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD Members  1587WRX Points: 801Handicap: 1.8Posts: 1,587 Platinum Tees
    Joelsim wrote:

DFS PFD wrote:

No, they don’t.

Thanks!
    Posted:
    SIM 8* Ventus Black 6X
    G410 LST  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    Epic Flash SZ 15* Tensei PW 80TX
    2-PW Ping Blueprint DG X7
    55* SM8 Raw
    61* SM8 Raw
    L.A.B 2.1 

• odshot68odshot68 MIMembers  8075WRX Points: 210Handicap: +.7Posts: 8,075 Titanium Tees
    Anyone reshaft these with a project x shaft? Curious how it reacted and what it did to swing weight?
    Posted:

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 (at 9.5) Fujikura Pro 63 Stiff
    Mizuno MP20 #3 HMB Steelfiber 110 Stiff
    Mizuno MP 20 #4 HMB, 5-PW MB DG S300
    Vokey SM8 Brushed Nickel 50.08F, 56.10S, 60.12D DG S200
    See More Platinum SB20 Mallet
    Titleist Pro V1

• LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers  2211WRX Points: 302Handicap: 7Posts: 2,211 Platinum Tees
    Is it just me or do they seem like a really big head? Everytime I pick one up they seem oversized...
    Posted:
    Taylormade M6
    Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
    Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
    Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
    SC Phantom X 5.5

Advertisement
  • BearQBearQ Members  3667WRX Points: 851Posts: 3,667 Titanium Tees
    LaymanM wrote:

Is it just me or do they seem like a really big head? Everytime I pick one up they seem oversized...

You aren’t alone. I liked my md3s but passed on these pretty easily. Added offset was a turn off too
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.