Mitsubishi Kuro Kage XD Shaft, Review with Multiple player Trackman Data

Comments

• TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,873 ✭✭
    As you guys have said, it's very anti hook. It's good to see people start to realize how good this shaft is, after somewhat flying under the radar for a few months.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • autronicdsmautronicdsm Members Posts: 745 ✭✭
    Here's my quick review.

I got the 60 SR-flex from Japan. Seeing profile graph was making me think that 60S would be too stiff... or actually launch too low. I play Kuro Kage Silver TiNi (single core) in 60S and that shaft is about perfect for me. XD feels awesome, very smooth. After hitting it for 2 range sessions it's making me feel like I should have went for 60S instead of SR but it's fine. I prefer as light as possible and little bit whippy or lively, however you want to call it.

Ball flight is low or low-mid. I haven't seen too many shots go high. I get a huge first bounce and plenty of roll. Hard to tell if I'm getting any extra yardage but the feel alone is worth the money in my opinion. I need to play 9 and measure it with gps to know if I gained (or lost) any distance.
  • bdubs3316bdubs3316 Members Posts: 412 ✭✭
    Would this need the same tipping as the KK DC XT or Synergy Black?
    Driver - TaylorMade M3 8.5* w/ Aldila Synergy Black Prototype 70TX tipped 1"
    Fairway wood - 2016 M2 15* w/ HZRDUS Black 85 6.5 tipped 1"
    Irons
    Titleist 716 TMB 2 iron (17*) w/ Project X HA1

Titleist 716 TMB 4 iron (22*) & Titleist 716 TMB 5 iron (26*) w/ KBS Tour V LE 125
    Mizuno MP-69 6 iron (30*),
    7 iron (34*), 8 iron (38*), 9 iron (42*) all w/ KBS Tour V LE 125
    Wedges - Vokey SM6 46F black, Vokey SM6 50F black,
    Vokey 55* V grind oil can, Vokey SM6 60L black & TaylorMade Hi Toe 64* all w/ KBS 610 125
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Golo 7 Dual Balance 38"
    Ball - TaylorMade TP5x
    bdubs3316 wrote:

Would this need the same tipping as the KK DC XT or Synergy Black?

Every shaft is different really. It all depends on the feel, launch, spin etc that someone wants, if they are switching heads, what numbers they have received with other shafts and how they want to mimic or alter those things. Every person and every set up should be fit individually to optimize results. That's why we test every weight, every tipping, and just about every head to make sure you get exactly what you're expecting.

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,451 ✭✭
    making some thoughts/comments after my hiatus -- i have had the chance to play the ever living crap out of my Kuro XD.

hands down, the most underrated, underplayed and blatently disregarded outta the Kuro line.

all the rage was for the DC XT -- but honestly, i felt it was lacking in of all things, feel. the XD spins like a synergy for me, yet the softer midsection allows me to elevate it a bit more than synergy, and overall playability is just hands down one of the best shafts i've ever used.

i have mine currently straight in, with no tipping; playing D4 with a bit of lead tape on either side of the center channel, stock weight setups, stock loft setting in my M3 460 10.5*; playing 45.25".

i'm going to have to buy another one as a back up.

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set +1/D) / DF 70TX tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

gioguy21 wrote:

making some thoughts/comments after my hiatus -- i have had the chance to play the ever living crap out of my Kuro XD.

hands down, the most underrated, underplayed and blatently disregarded outta the Kuro line.

all the rage was for the DC XT -- but honestly, i felt it was lacking in of all things, feel. the XD spins like a synergy for me, yet the softer midsection allows me to elevate it a bit more than synergy, and overall playability is just hands down one of the best shafts i've ever used.

i have mine currently straight in, with no tipping; playing D4 with a bit of lead tape on either side of the center channel, stock weight setups, stock loft setting in my M3 460 10.5*; playing 45.25".

Gio, good to see you back! Hopefully you were able to get a nice tan on your vacation. image/censored2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':censored2:' />

Also great to see you are loving the XD. It has started to finally catch some traction a bit, but it's a shame a lot of guys didn't try it out before tournament season was in full affect. I think as the fall creeps in and people get into full tinker mode again, they are going to realize a hidden gem had sneaked past them this summer.

TollBros wrote:
    gioguy21 wrote:

Gio, good to see you back! Hopefully you were able to get a nice tan on your vacation. image/censored2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':censored2:' />

Also great to see you are loving the XD. It has started to finally catch some traction a bit, but it's a shame a lot of guys didn't try it out before tournament season was in full affect. I think as the fall creeps in and people get into full tinker mode again, they are going to realize a hidden gem had sneaked past them this summer.
    It's pretty amazing to me - I cant believe how dependable it is, especially with the stability on smooth AND aggressive swings.

Played a practice round today for the NJ state open with it today and have to say, despite a short course, I had the confidence to pound the driver and leave myself flip wedges to most greens.

Going to be a fun week next week -

785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400

• MSUIRONDAWGSMSUIRONDAWGS Members Posts: 748 ✭✭
    TollBros wrote:

gioguy21 wrote:

I'm going on month #3 with mine and loving it still! I agree with you and Gio though, that guys are missing out on this bad boy. So much pub with the PO's of the world, that the XD zoomed right under the radar with most.

TollBros wrote:

gioguy21 wrote:

I'm going on month #3 with mine and loving it still! I agree with you and Gio though, that guys are missing out on this bad boy. So much pub with the PO's of the world, that the XD zoomed right under the radar with most.

I agree. Pro Orange took over and most other recent products have been left in the dust.

• DomgolferDomgolfer Banned Posts: 16
    Still loving mine too. Driving accuracy has never been a strength for me and in my round yesterday I hit 7 fairways in a row which is unheard of for me and it has great feel for a low spin shaft.
    Domgolfer wrote:

Still loving mine too. Driving accuracy has never been a strength for me and in my round yesterday I hit 7 fairways in a row which is unheard of for me and it has great feel for a low spin shaft.

That's the beauty of mitsubishi's modern shaft tech. They can make a shaft that plays very stiff and tight but doesn't feel overwealming. It's the reason a lot of players in that 100-105 range are finding with the right tipping and set up, that they can play TX to get their spin rates and flights down. In the past they were unable to do so because the products just felt far too stiff.

TollBros wrote:

Domgolfer wrote:

That's the beauty of mitsubishi's modern shaft tech. They can make a shaft that plays very stiff and tight but doesn't feel overwealming. It's the reason a lot of players in that 100-105 range are finding with the right tipping and set up, that they can play TX to get their spin rates and flights down. In the past they were unable to do so because the products just felt far too stiff.

perfect example of this -- i played with a guy yesterday who uses stiff but said he was contemplating going to regular flex -- asked to hit my m3; absolutely nutted it down the middle and had the biggest grin on his face. told him that one was mine, but would be happy to give him specs lol

785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400

• gambitgambit Members Posts: 4,184 ✭✭
    gioguy21 wrote:
    TollBros wrote:

Domgolfer wrote:

perfect example of this -- i played with a guy yesterday who uses stiff but said he was contemplating going to regular flex -- asked to hit my m3; absolutely nutted it down the middle and had the biggest grin on his face. told him that one was mine, but would be happy to give him specs lol

Sounds like XD over the T1100 white for you? Saw your review of the T1100 white and the part where you said it can get wonky when you go after it a bit got me a little skeptical. Learning how to swing smoother but I still have a jump in my swing.
    gambit wrote:

gioguy21 wrote:
    TollBros wrote:

Domgolfer wrote:

Sounds like XD over the T1100 white for you? Saw your review of the T1100 white and the part where you said it can get wonky when you go after it a bit got me a little skeptical. Learning how to swing smoother but I still have a jump in my swing.

Yes, the XD is my gamer. I don't have a smooth enough transition (consistently) to game the T1100 white with confidence. don't get me wrong, it is a phenomenal shaft and i DID see good results with it, but not consistently enough for my game/swing.

785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400

• gambitgambit Members Posts: 4,184 ✭✭
    gioguy21 wrote:
    gambit wrote:

gioguy21 wrote:
    TollBros wrote:

Domgolfer wrote:

Yes, the XD is my gamer. I don't have a smooth enough transition (consistently) to game the T1100 white with confidence. don't get me wrong, it is a phenomenal shaft and i DID see good results with it, but not consistently enough for my game/swing.

I’ll probably stick to my Pro Orange and Whites for now. My swing needs some consistency more than anything else.
    gioguy21 wrote:

TollBros wrote:

Domgolfer wrote:

It's funny how when guys don't know the flex, they will just kill a combo they would have never looked at on their own.

• golf61golf61 Members Posts: 5 ✭✭
    I have been play the kk xt tx tipped 3/4 inch for about 2 years, would I tip the xd tx the same? 120mph club head speed and like to feel no wobble at the bottom.
    golf61 wrote:

I have been play the kk xt tx tipped 3/4 inch for about 2 years, would I tip the xd tx the same? 120mph club head speed and like to feel no wobble at the bottom.

You'd want to tip similarly coming from XT TX flex. I'd be happy to go over your info and videos if you're looking to move into one.

• Axman55Axman55 Members Posts: 344 ✭✭
    gioguy21 wrote:

gambit wrote:

gioguy21 wrote:
    TollBros wrote:

Domgolfer wrote:

So the shaft shoot out is over? Clear winner XD?
    Cobra F9 Tensei Pro White 70TX or Accra TZ6 65 X?
    Cobra F9 Tour 14.5 Tensei Pro White 80TX
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Accra TZ6 85X
    Srixon 785 4-PW CTaper
    Vokey SM6 52F CTaper
    Vokey SM6 58L (bent to 57) & 62M TT Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport
    Axman55 wrote:

So the shaft shoot out is over? Clear winner XD?
    for now it is - i have a big tourney coming up and can't be swapping like crazy. i'm in full on prep mode right now.

785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400

• provxprovx Members Posts: 830 ✭✭
    Is the xd more anti left than the pro orange?
    Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
    Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
    Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
    Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
    Biomech Acculock
    Snell MTB Black
  • chauchilamchauchilam Spam Posts: 18
    Good luck everybody. This thread should be a lot of fun for the entire week of the US Open.
    provx wrote:

i don't know about more anti-left but, it's more predictable. i got some random shots with the PO that when i didn't time it right, went left. the XD (for me) allows me to consistently hit a shape that i want to hit without having the random one out of no where like the PO gave me.

785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400

provx wrote:

I would say yes. I am typically a fader of the ball and don't like seeing it turn over. We course test some products as well and I had 6 full rounds with this shaft and never once had the club turn over on me. It's was just a beautiful high, low spin cut every time.

• desailledesaille Members Posts: 1,654 ✭✭
    High low spin cut

Bucket list 😊
    desaille wrote:

High low spin cut

Bucket list 😊

In all seriousness, I used to always draw the ball. It took me 2 years of continuous work to get where I can hit a low spin cut reliably. It was a very frustrating process.

• manima1manima1 Members Posts: 708 ✭✭
    TollBros wrote:

desaille wrote:

High low spin cut

Bucket list ��

In all seriousness, I used to always draw the ball. It took me 2 years of continuous work to get where I can hit a low spin cut reliably. It was a very frustrating process.

In that process now after a lifetime of drawing the ball. Frustrating to say the least, but I can see the payoff in sight.
    M5 9.0 - Kuro Kage Dual Core 80tx tipped 1"
    '16 M2HL 16.8 tour issued deep faced - Fujikura 8.3 TS
    zU45 18 degree - S400
    z745 4-9 - S400
    SM6 46.08F - S400 Chrome
    SM6 50.08F - S400 Steel Gray
    SM7 54.10S - S400 Raw
    SM5 60.08M - Wedge Flex Raw Black
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-line
    manima1 wrote:

TollBros wrote:

desaille wrote:

High low spin cut

Bucket list ��

In that process now after a lifetime of drawing the ball. Frustrating to say the least, but I can see the payoff in sight.

With the draw I'd get the occasional super low spin overcook left which would sometimes be OB. Devastating to the scorecard. With the cut, the miss is a slight push higher spin shot which stops where it's hit. It's a miss that I can manage and that keeps me out of trouble.

• SMUGamerSMUGamer Members Posts: 508 ✭✭
    TollBros wrote:

manima1 wrote:

TollBros wrote:

desaille wrote:

High low spin cut

Bucket list ��

With the draw I'd get the occasional super low spin overcook left which would sometimes be OB. Devastating to the scorecard. With the cut, the miss is a slight push higher spin shot which stops where it's hit. It's a miss that I can manage and that keeps me out of trouble.
    So is this your primary driver shaft vs. V3 Pro Orange?
    TollBros wrote:
    manima1 wrote:

TollBros wrote:

desaille wrote:

High low spin cut

Bucket list ��

Playing exactly this shot right now, but not really high spin. Just a bullet cut that flies for days. I can hit a draw but, it's a bit of work.

785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400