Ireland or Scotland - July 2019

Looking to make a solo trip to either Ireland or Scotland next summer. Having trouble deciding which. I have been to Ireland before, played Ballybunion and Lahinch back in 2014. Never been to Scotland.

I'm thinking 7 days total(not including air travel days).

I would definitely like to attend the Open Championship at Royal Portrush, so visiting the northwest of Ireland and Northern Ireland has some appeal. Since I'm going solo, I'm not looking to do alot of driving, I'd like to station out of 1 or 2 places for the entire trip. In fact, if I could avoid having to drive at all, that'd be preferred. What are my options? Rosapenna? I'm sure I can hitch a train or something to Portrush.

For Scotland, I'm thinking St Andrews of course. This has alot of appeal because I don't have to do much traveling at all, I can just stay in St Andrews for a week, enjoy the town and all the golf.

If there are good options, I think I'm leaning towards Ireland just because of the Open at Portrush. I could visit Scotland in 2020 or 2021.

Thoughts?

G430 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | TM TP Bandon 1 | Pro V1x

The tickets for the Open are sold out!

They are never "sold out"! I've never had issues getting tix up to the day of.

Well...this is tough. If you think it out, a lot of action will be happening in N. Ire due to the open and Scotland golf may be a better choice for a golf trip.

If you go to the Open, there is not much golf close by worth playing....especially for your criteria of little driving. You could stay in Belfast. But again, I am guessing the golf will be crazy everywhere.

If it were me, I would make my trip 10 days and go to the Open a couple of days, then hop over to Scotland to play golf. :)

If it were me, I would make my trip 10 days and go to the Open a couple of days, then hop over to Scotland to play golf. :)

I had thought about this as well, I will have to see about that.

Thinking about it a little more, I do really like this idea.

1) Fly direct from Minneapolis to Dublin

2) Train from Dublin to Portrush

3) Two days at the Open

4) Train to Belfast, maybe do some sightseeing.

5) Train to St Andrews, some sightseeing along the way.

6) Lots of golf!

7) Train to Edinburgh

8) Plane ticket from Edinburgh to Dublin

9) Fly from Dublin to Minneapolis

Why go to Scotland for golf if you are already in Ireland ? Golf in Ireland (North and South) is fantastic. You can play Castlerock, Portstewart, Ballyliffin, Cairndhu, Scrabo, Ardglass, County Down (maybe), Concra Wood, - all within an hour or two of Portrush. Plenty of others depending if you fly in to Shannon or Dublin.

3) Two days at the Open

6) Lots of golf!

7) Train to Edinburgh

This could be a great option...but You'd need 2 weeks, at least.

Travelling from ireland to scoltland isn't that fast if not using airplanes and also moving without car isn't that fast, you lose a day every time.

If seeing the open is so important to you, then try to arrange a trip like that.

If not, just go to St. Andrews and you have a lot of famous courses around there.

Famous courses:

-The old course (of course)

- Kingsbarns ( 10 min by taxi)

- Carnoustie ( 45 mins by car - 1 hour by train)

- Gleaneagles ( 1 hour by car).

Staying in St. Andrews you have a lot of great course within half an hour.

- In st andrews play the Jubilee and the new course.

- 5 minutes of car (or bus) you can go to the castle course (great views and tricky course) and there you can play also Kittocs and Torrance in the fairmont hotel;

- crail links is 15 minutes from st andrews;

- if you take a bus from edimburgh, on the way to st, andrews you can stpo and play Lundin links and leven links.

- Check Elie link for a great hidden gem.

A car staying in st. Andrews is not necessary but it is useful if you want to play courses outside st Andrews, also because in july you can really play 2 courses a day ( light until 10 pm or so) and you can move fast from one course to another.

3) Two days at the Open

6) Lots of golf!

7) Train to Edinburgh

This could be a great option...but You'd need 2 weeks, at least.

Travelling from ireland to scoltland isn't that fast if not using airplanes and also moving without car isn't that fast, you lose a day every time.

If seeing the open is so important to you, then try to arrange a trip like that.

If not, just go to St. Andrews and you have a lot of famous courses around there.

Famous courses:

-The old course (of course)

- Kingsbarns ( 10 min by taxi)

- Carnoustie ( 45 mins by car - 1 hour by train)

- Gleaneagles ( 1 hour by car).

Staying in St. Andrews you have a lot of great course within half an hour.

- In st andrews play the Jubilee and the new course.

- 5 minutes of car (or bus) you can go to the castle course (great views and tricky course) and there you can play also Kittocs and Torrance in the fairmont hotel;

- crail links is 15 minutes from st andrews;

- if you take a bus from edimburgh, on the way to st, andrews you can stpo and play Lundin links and leven links.

- Check Elie link for a great hidden gem.

A car staying in st. Andrews is not necessary but it is useful if you want to play courses outside st Andrews, also because in july you can really play 2 courses a day ( light until 10 pm or so) and you can move fast from one course to another.

Here is what I was thinking so far:

Friday, July 19th - Plane lands in Dublin at 8:40 AM. Get on train to Portrush. According to Google Maps, it's 4.5 hours to Portrush. I should easily be to Portrush by early evening.

Saturday(20th) and Sunday(21st) - Watch the Open

Monday(22nd) - Take train from Portrush to Belfast, ferry across the channel, then finally the train to St Andrews. This will take the entire day, that's fine. Looking forward to it actually.

Tuesday(23rd) thru Saturday(27th) - Golf in and around St Andrews and see the city. Kingsbarns would definitely be on my list because it's so close. Carnoustie likely as well but that would depend on scheduling. For example, if I were to play the Old Course on my 2nd or 3rd day, that would make it more likely for me to take a day to go to Carnoustie. Will all depends on how it plays out.

Sunday(28th) - Train to Edinburgh, then fly to Dublin

Monday(29th) - Fly back to US

I could be wrong but as a single I can't really see staying longer than this.

Just a couple of questions: Why would you not fly into Belfast? and just fly out of Edinburgh?

But great trip!!

Its more expensive and more time for me to fly to Belfast than Dublin. None of my airports fly direct to Belfast either.

Also, flying out of Edinburgh would mean making each trip across the pond a one way ticket, making it even more expensive. No direct flights either.

Just a couple of questions: Why would you not fly into Belfast? and just fly out of Edinburgh?

But great trip!!

Its more expensive and more time for me to fly to Belfast than Dublin. None of my airports fly direct to Belfast either.

Also, flying out of Edinburgh would mean making each trip across the pond a one way ticket, making it even more expensive. No direct flights either.

I'm assuming you'd be taking the direct Aer Lingus MSP - DUB and then Aer Lingus EDI - DUB - MSP on the way back? Easy enough to tack on EDI for the flight over.

Caveat that I am not big on in person golf tournies, but I'd skip Ireland in July of 2019 because of The Open. You'll have the typical summer tourists and golf tourists + more golf tourists due to The Open. Fife and East Lothian would make for a less bonkers destination and you can still watch the golf on the tele in the clubhouse/pub after your day's round :)

Of course if watching it is one of the anchors of the trip, then have at it!

Another caveat, I always get a car, so much easier, but...

To get to Portrush from Dublin I am assuming you'll Aircoach it from the airport to Belfast, than train from Victoria to Portrush? Use left luggage for your clubs at the train station and of you go?

Have you thought of flying from Belfast to Edi, instead of taking the train? Belfast International is easily accessible via public transport.

That's a long long day with all your stuff, making transfers, hoping they are no strikes or delays, and the like.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

You could go to the Scottish Open at Renaissnce Club. Much calmer tournament, with more golf to see than at The Open (beauces of smaller crowds). They have always a great field and you can follow even the most popular flights and see all the shots.

That's a good shout :)

You could put yourself on the ridge overlooking the approach to 10 and see it, plus the par 3s 9 & 11.

Be less bonkers as you point out and also put someone in the middle of a bunch of courses worth playing a short train/cab ride away.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

• 2 months later...

Yes, the Open is sold out because the numbers are reduced next year I think for security reasons (gulp!) I suspect tickets can be had fairly easily though...at a price. Portrush will be a great viewing venue for the Open!

If you do make it to St Andrews, as a single I think you will have to stand in line during the wee hours of the morning. However, if you fail to grab a time, the New, Joob and Eden can be booked on the day. Its worth getting a links ticket.

If you don't want to be tied down to the Links Trust courses (none are great except for TOC, but all are worthwhile having one go at least) make sure to seek out Elie..maybe 30 minutes south of St Andrews...its is a lovely course with some very cool greens. Folks will mention Crail, Leven and Lundin, but they aren't really any better than the Links Trust courses and are far more travel hassle if you don't have a car.

The Castle Course gets slammed, but it too is a good course.

A cool little place is Anstruther with its famous fish & chips (rightfully so!). There is also a funky little 9 holer in town which is fairly cheap and has some very cool holes....good day out.

Merry Christmas

• 2 weeks later...

I would just do Ireland and golf like mad. Ireland has more true links courses then any country in the world.

Absolutely. And pretty well every course you will play in Ireland has a little magic about it. Followed up with a pint of Guinness what more could you want?

Apologies for the pedantry: Scotland has more.

F.T.

Well, havng played most of them, I think Royal County Down, Portrush, Ballybunion, Lahinch, Tralee, Waterville, Portmarnock, Ballyliffin, Baltray, The Euro Club, Enniscrone, Carne, Rosses Point etc would compare very favorably with Royal Dornoch, St Andrews, Carnoustie, Muirfield, Turnberry, Troon, Kingsbarns, North Berwick, Aberdeen, Castle stuart, Cruden Bay and co. And the other irish courses likewise so not much in it. Maybe Ireland by a touch.

I'm not questioning which country's courses someone prefers; every place has fantastic courses and we're lucky to get to play them :)

I'm referring to saying that Ireland has more true links courses than any other country. It doesn't, that statement is simply incorrect.

• Like 1

F.T.

If your going solo and dont want to do much travelling i would say St Andrews (i am a bit biased as its my favourite place in the world) but you can literally get anywhere in St Andrews walking, or at worst a very short taxi ride.

And in the evening you really can't beat it, so many places to eat and drink and all so close together

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

I'm not questioning which country's courses someone prefers; every place has fantastic courses and we're lucky to get to play them :)

I'm referring to saying that Ireland has more true links courses than any other country. It doesn't, that statement is simply incorrect.

Ireland (58), Scotland (84 courses) to be precise :)

Ireland (58), Scotland (84 courses) to be precise :)

That is what I read too. I should of noted / clarified better that in my personal choice I think the Ireland "True Links" are better. Not that any of them really are bad =)

Not certain that list is reliable as it does not appear to have the Irish links courses Ardglass, Kilkee, Malahide or Hogshead on it. Could be others but its a minor matter, both are incredible places for golf. Anyway, the question originally was why would you leave Ireland to play golf in Scotland? It would not be for the quality of the courses unless you were intent on playing the Open Rota courses.

Count me as one who thinks the links golf in Scotland and England (most especially England) is at least as good as in Ireland. None of the big gun Irish lnks are among my absolute favourites not because they aren't great, they certainly are. But a great course doesn't necessarily make for a great day out. Many of the Irish big guns are packed to the rafters with tourists....which invariably means slow play...sometimes excruciatingly slow play. Bus loads of visitors is the quickest way to ruin the vibe of a club. That said, I intend to head over to play the revamped Portrush Valley Links this spring. I really enjoyed my few days there a handful of years ago. I might try to play the Castlerock Bann 9...looks good in pix. Bushfoot too looks to have some good holes.

Ciao

Not certain that list is reliable as it does not appear to have the Irish links courses Ardglass, Kilkee, Malahide or Hogshead on it. Could be others but its a minor matter, both are incredible places for golf. Anyway, the question originally was why would you leave Ireland to play golf in Scotland? It would not be for the quality of the courses unless you were intent on playing the Open Rota courses.

That's because - except maybe for Ardglass - those aren't links courses. Hogshead and Kilkee are headland/downland tracks. Malahide is a parkland course.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, even when it's wrong ;)

Fair enough you prefer Ireland, there is absolutely some awesome golf there and it's great fun to go there, but Ireland is 3rd after England and Scotland for me. And Ireland's bench cannot come close to the options in England. Once you get past the first 20-25 or so courses in Ireland it's a pretty big drop off for the traveling golfer.

F.T.