UST Recoil 125 in irons.. What is SW & LW

Radeon962

Have of set of Recoil 125 F4 on the way that I plan on soft stepping 1x in a set of Ping i200 's.

Are most people using the Recoil Prototype Wedge shaft in their wedges, soft stepping a 8 or 9 iron shaft or just sticking with steel?

I used Prosoft inserts in my irons and wedges currently but looking for more vibration damping so my winter project is graphite shafts.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

95 F5 protos in my irons, 125 F5 regular recoil in SW and LW.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I would suggest KBS Tour 130x 8 iron shafts

It will be slightly heavier than your Recoils, but still have great feel. KBS Tour is an amazing wedge shaft

Titleist TSi3 10° - Diamana R Series 60

Cobra Rad 14.5° - Diamana BlueForce 70

Cobra F9 18.5° - Diamana BlueForce 80
Taylormade P790 (4-9) - Nippon Modus 105
Vokey 46F 50F 54S 58T - Nippon Modus 115
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 

I would suggest KBS Tour 130x 8 iron shafts

It will be slightly heavier than your Recoils, but still have great feel. KBS Tour is an amazing wedge shaft

Sorry to be blunt, but this is a hideous suggestion. A 130X shaft 8 iron shaft will be FAR, FAR stiffer than a soft stepped Recoil F4 125. Recoils already play soft to flex anyway. A 130X 8 iron would feel like rebar in comparison.

I don’t know anyone, good player or bad, that wants a stiffer wedge shaft than their irons.

95 F5 protos in my irons, 125 F5 regular recoil in SW and LW.

Did you use the same 125 wedge shaft in the SW & LW? Checking Golfworks they sell the individual shafts up to the PW so I was considering buying thev9 iron shaft for my SW & LW so they would be soft stepped 1x like my irons.

Yes, same shaft.

WITB

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Have of set of Recoil 125 F4 on the way that I plan on soft stepping 1x in a set of Ping i200 's.

Are most people using the Recoil Prototype Wedge shaft in their wedges, soft stepping a 8 or 9 iron shaft or just sticking with steel?

I used Prosoft inserts in my irons and wedges currently but looking for more vibration damping so my winter project is graphite shafts.

I have Recoil proto125 F5’s in my wedges with sensicore inserts. Straight in. No softstepping. Incredible dampening. Incredible performance. Love them other than I spin them a bit more than I’d like on soft greens.

Go for your original plan. 125 F4 soft stepped once to match everything else, or perhaps even soft stepped twice in the wedges.

Remember that recoils in F4 “stiff” Aren’t really that stiff in my oipinion. Of course that depends on what you’re coming from. If you’re coming from a heavy stiff steel shaft they will likely play soft to you.

Played DGS300 for quite some time but the past season played Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff and this season DGS300 105 Stiff.

I did not have issues with my elbows with the Nippon's in a set of Ping iE1's but elbow issues this year with the DGS300 105's in a set of TaylorMade P790's.

Used the Prosoft inserts in the DGS300 105's which helped but have been trying out Steelfiber's and Recoil's the past few weeks and with winter setting in here in Michigan I figured it would be a good time to jump into a set of Recoil's in a set of i200's I picked up.

Swing speed with a driver is 103-105. I don't know SS with an iron but 7 iron carry is right around 155 +/- depending on the quality of my strike and the stronger lofts of the P790's.

Sweeper, if I take a divot, it is shallow. Over the top move that when I got fit years ago said "you know you come over the top, but at least you do it every time". Tried correcting it for years but I got to the point of why change it if it works for me and my game.

I just stuck w/ steel for my wedges. I might throw a 125 in my 50* since that is a full swing club, and my 60* is only used right around the green so I'm not concerned w/ vibration damping there. I guess the 56* could go either way. I am sold on the 125's for my irons though...fantastic shafts.

Bag 1                                                                                          Bag 2

Ping G425 Max 9* Ventus Black 7X                                         Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX

Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX                      Tour Edge Exotics CBX 20* Aldila Rip Alpha 105X

Titleist TSi3 16.5* Rogue Silver 80TX                                      Ben Hogan Ft Worth Hi 26* Recoil 110X

Titleist TS3 21* Rogue Black 95TX                                          Ben Hogan Ft Worth 32*, 38*, 44*, 50* Recoil 125X

Titleist T200 5 MCI Black 100X                                                Ben Hogan TK-15 58* Recoil Wedge Proto 125X

Titleist T100S 6-AW MCI Black 100X                                       Ping Vault Anser 2

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 56* MCI Mild 125                                        

Fourteen RM-22 60* Black Onyx S400

Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

Unless there is currently a particular problem you want to solve, I'd just stick with what you already have in your wedges and see how it continues to go before making any changes. Most who need to go to graphite just for the vibration dampening in the irons, don't usually need the same relief in the wedges. And since you didn't make a big drop in weight in the irons, you likely can stick with the same weight in the wedges. When I dropped down to 95-100 gm shafts in my irons, I stayed with DG's in the SW/LW for almost 10 years before finally going to graphite in the wedges - and that was more out of curiosity than need.

I went with graphite in the wedges because I hit them a lot, on the course and the range, and I'm in graphite for elbow problems. I practice a lot of wedge shots, 3/4 and full shot, and I'm a digger. When I got the current Callaway wedges last spring, I was coming from some RTX3s where I had the 125 recoils installed. I wasn't sure I needed to pull the stock shafts and I tried the stock DG shafts for a short while, but after a few practice sessions, I noticed more soreness in my elbow. Had the pro pull my old shafts and put them in my current wedges. I probably will do the same next year, as my the grooves in my LW in particular are really wearing down.

WITB

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Unless there is currently a particular problem you want to solve, I'd just stick with what you already have in your wedges and see how it continues to go before making any changes. Most who need to go to graphite just for the vibration dampening in the irons, don't usually need the same relief in the wedges. And since you didn't make a big drop in weight in the irons, you likely can stick with the same weight in the wedges. When I dropped down to 95-100 gm shafts in my irons, I stayed with DG's in the SW/LW for almost 10 years before finally going to graphite in the wedges - and that was more out of curiosity than need.

That's where I am at right now "more out of curiosity than need".

Have Recoil 125's arriving next week and Recoil Prototype 95 F3's arriving Monday. Had intended to try out the 95's but found a set of 125's for a good price in 4-PW so I can SS x1 as that is what I wanted to do originally when I went down the wormhole of graphite shafts.

Figured if I do the irons I might as well go all in and do my wedges as I have 2 sets of Ping Glide Stealth wedges to play with.

One set has DGS300's and the other set has Steelfiber 110's at the moment.

Probably just go with the Recoil Wedge Prototype from Will at this point.

Everyone should know this....and it’s confusing. I think UST totally screwed this up.

The shaft labeled “125 WEDGE PROTO”. Is NOT the same shaft as the wedge length shaft that comes in a set of Recoil Prototype 125 shafts.

They are similar, but they are not the same. The “WEDGE PROTO” is softer with higher launch and more spin. If you need that, it’s a wonderful shaft. I very much did NOT need higher launch and more spin. When I bought one without knowing the difference last year I knew within one range session that it wasn’t the same as my other wedge shafts. It was unplayable for me and got pulled and sold.

Anyone who wants the lower launch, lower spin “wedge length” Recoil Prototype 125 shaft must be very specific when you order it. I get mine from Will as well. Believe me, He is aware of the difference after I ordered the other one without knowing. Neither of us knew last year. It was a brand new product then.

Everyone should know this....and it’s confusing. I think UST totally screwed this up.

The shaft labeled “125 WEDGE PROTO”. Is NOT the same shaft as the wedge length shaft that comes in a set of Recoil Prototype 125 shafts.

They are similar, but they are not the same. The “WEDGE PROTO” is softer with higher launch and more spin. If you need that, it’s a wonderful shaft. I very much did NOT need higher launch and more spin. When I bought one without knowing the difference last year I knew within one range session that it wasn’t the same as my other wedge shafts. It was unplayable for me and got pulled and sold.

Anyone who wants the lower launch, lower spin “wedge length” Recoil Prototype 125 shaft must be very specific when you order it. I get mine from Will as well. Believe me, He is aware of the difference after I ordered the other one without knowing. Neither of us knew last year. It was a brand new product then.

Good info here.

Thanks.

Ended up PM'ing Will and went with the Matte Black Recoil Prototype Wedge for my sand and lob. He is shipping out tomorrow so if I'm lucky I'll have the weekend to get them ready. Matte Black shafts should look great with my Ping Glide Stealth wedges.

I can use the extra height and spin, so they seemed like they would be a good match for my swing, plus how can you not like matte black shafts?

Ended up PM'ing Will and went with the Matte Black Recoil Prototype Wedge for my sand and lob. He is shipping out tomorrow so if I'm lucky I'll have the weekend to get them ready. Matte Black shafts should look great with my Ping Glide Stealth wedges.

I can use the extra height and spin, so they seemed like they would be a good match for my swing, plus how can you not like matte black shafts?

The matte black is sweet. I was very irritated they didn’t suit me. I think you’ll really like them in those pings. The feel is soooo nice. Very soft on the hands.

• 1 month later...