Holiday staff gratuity?

Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough!Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,155 ✭✭
Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays, whichever you prefer. As is the season wanted to give everyone some of the Christmas/Holiday bonus collections active at our private clubs we are privileged to be members of. My club has a formal $75 employee holiday fund that gets tacked on to your November Dues and distributed by the GM as he sees fit. Also other envelopes can be given, but not expected. At a club of over 600 members this yields a nice chunk of money to divide up.

How does your club handle the holiday given to staff? Don't post the names of the clubs etc.

Comments

• Bonneville85308Bonneville85308 Members Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    At my last club it was an automatic $50 "Holiday Employee Fund" charge on the monthly bill received in early December that you could lower or increase if you wished. It was supposedly split up among all employees but I don't know if they got equal shares or if it was based on the position, length of service, etc.
  • BNGLBNGL Members Posts: 1,608 ✭✭
    Schley wrote:
    Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays, whichever you prefer. As is the season wanted to give everyone some of the Christmas/Holiday bonus collections active at our private clubs we are privileged to be members of. My club has a formal $75 employee holiday fund that gets tacked on to your November Dues and distributed by the GM as he sees fit. Also other envelopes can be given, but not expected. At a club of over 600 members this yields a nice chunk of money to divide up.

How does your club handle the holiday given to staff? Don't post the names of the clubs etc.

That’s awesome! Glad to hear that your members take care of the people that make it happen!
  • Soxfan21Soxfan21 Chicago South SuburbsMembers Posts: 289 ✭✭
    We have an optional $100 charge that goes on our October bill. Pretty much every member I know pays it, GM divides the money up as seen fit.
    In The Bag:

Epic Sub Zero 65 Gram Fujikura Pro
    Epic Sub Zero 80 Gram Aldila rogue
    816 H1 21 degree Motore Speeder 8.8
    716 AP 2 4-PW TT DG AMT S400
    SM6 50, 54, 58 Wedges
    Bettinardi Inovai 3.0
  • GTgolfGTgolf Members Posts: 518 ✭✭
    $40 charge unless you opt out. Distributed to employees.
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,307 ✭✭
    We have no mandatory charge (it's not a gift if you are forced to pay. It's just part of the CC price).

So we collect $50++ from each of the guys we play with and distribute to employees that exhibit outstanding service.
  • az2auaz2au Members Posts: 1,800 ✭✭
    edited Dec 9, 2018 #7
    We have no mandatory charge but I give 1/2 to 1 month worth of dues depending on how much I have used the club for the year. This year that wasn’t much so I gave 1/2 a month of dues. I also gave my pro some extremely expensive basketball tickets for a game on 12/29 as he helped me pull together an afternoon event for several of my works peers so in total my contribution was a bit higher an a month of dues but, eh, I’ll live. My pro is a huge basketball fan and the gift was meaningful to him so that makes me happy. He’s an awesome head pro.

Edit: we have a no tipping policy (other than caddies) during the year so it seems quite reasonable.
  • TrumanTruman Members Posts: 565 ✭✭
    I give the following

Head Pro 100

1st Asst 50

2nd Asst 20

F&B Mgr 100

Day Bartender 50

Night Bartenders 200/3 ways

Servers 10

Steaks to the supt. And his crew
  • EagleCityEagleCity Members Posts: 184 ✭✭
    $100 automatically added to Nov statement the club then distributes. Can opt out or choose to add more.
  • mbeyelmbeyel Members Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Optional with around 90% participation in past with $400 avg per person across the 250 members. I also keep the pros and caddiemaster hydrated throughout the season with vodka and gin.
  • pinhigh27pinhigh27 Members Posts: 9,586 ✭✭
    400 per person from 225 people? So you have 90k divided up between the employees? I mean Jesus how many employees are there. That is a big pot.
    How to be in better shape for golf?
    Become a better athlete.
    Don't worry about golf specific.
    Compound lifts w/ linear progress
    Don't forget the mobility work.
    More results, more functional

Spin is not your enemy, everything is a trade-off.
    17 * 1700 goes really far, but doesn't go very straight or consistent
    8* 3500 goes really straight, but doesn't go very far
    Answer for most is somewhere in the middle.
    Pga tour driver avg launch conditions: 11* 2700
  • txeconomisttxeconomist Members Posts: 242 ✭✭
    Recommended bonus was $250 per member at my club.
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,449 ✭✭
    pinhigh27 wrote:

400 per person from 225 people? So you have 90k divided up between the employees? I mean Jesus how many employees are there. That is a big pot.

Even if upper level manager positions are excluded - GM, Director of Golf, Superintendent - a club can easily have 50 employees. 4 in the golf shop, 5 for clubroom/cart staff, 15 on grounds, 15 restaurant, 2 locker room attendants, 2 in the business office, accountant/controller, etc. Remember, for every position you see staffed, there are likely 3 people that do that job.

If he’s at a non tipping club $2k bonus for someone in December is the equivalent of $40 a week in tips. Perfectly reasonable to get 2 grand at the holidays if you work a service position for an hourly wage all year.
    Or the club can just pay their employees an appropriate wage and then I can tip when I receive exemplary service.
    Become a better athlete.

Just noticed you said non tipping. That would be more appropriate. If you were expected to tip and then 400 at end of yr that would be ridiculous imo
    Become a better athlete.

• Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,307 ✭✭
    pinhigh27 wrote:

Or the club can just pay their employees an appropriate wage and then I can tip when I receive exemplary service.

Exactly! A Christmas bonus should be paid by the employer.
  • Openwater22Openwater22 ClubWRX Posts: 3,042 ClubWRX
    Optional amount added to November dues statement, donated $100.00. Additional $50.00 to the reservations staff, collected by the "commissioners" that run our weekly games. Passed out eighteen $25.00 gift cards to non tip staff.
    Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
    Cally Flash 15* Tensei CK blue S
    Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
    Epon 503 MCI OTi 110 stiff
    Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
    Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D
  • raynorfan1raynorfan1 Members Posts: 3,544 ✭✭
    Ours is actually broken into twice per year, I think $250 is the "recommended" amount each time.

The issue is that we have (as I think most clubs do) a large seasonal workforce, so we pay bonuses in late August / early September to the seasonal group, and then in December for the year-round employees.
  • CheckJVCheckJV Male Model Members Posts: 2,104 ✭✭
    edited Dec 16, 2018 #19
    Ours is 100% voluntary and the members donate any amount to the holiday fund that they think is appropriate. Our GM divides the fund amongst the staff. I am hopeful that our members are generous and I think that this is the case because we have never discussed changing our approach.
  • mallratmallrat Members Posts: 2,915 ✭✭
    Wait a minute!

You mean I can be greenskeeper somewhere where the members actually appreciate what we for under a living wage? And they will then give the employees a healthy holiday bonus?

We did have 1 member buy our crew pizzas at the end of the season, does that count?
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,155 ✭✭
    mallrat wrote:

Wait a minute!

You mean I can be greenskeeper somewhere where the members actually appreciate what we for under a living wage? And they will then give the employees a healthy holiday bonus?

We did have 1 member buy our crew pizzas at the end of the season, does that count?

Get back to work!!!!!! image/busted_cop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':busted_cop:' />
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,155 ✭✭
    Sent some amazon gift cards to all employees in the staff registry as I sent the pro something and felt like everyone deserves recognition. It is the Christmas season and as I'm not going home for the holidays giving certainly is what the spirit of the season is to my family.

Thanks to all those golf course employees at golf clubs / courses both public and private. Our game wouldn't have the same enjoyment and lifelong love affair it enjoys with it's players if you didn't do what you do. image/fan_1.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fan_1:' />
    Schley wrote:

mallrat wrote:

Wait a minute!

Get back to work!!!!!! image/busted_cop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':busted_cop:' />

I would have liked this but I am always on my phone but that made me laugh (even though being somewhat true)
    Schley wrote:

Sent some amazon gift cards to all employees in the staff registry as I sent the pro something and felt like everyone deserves recognition. It is the Christmas season and as I'm not going home for the holidays giving certainly is what the spirit of the season is to my family.

Thanks to all those golf course employees at golf clubs / courses both public and private. Our game wouldn't have the same enjoyment and lifelong love affair it enjoys with it's players if you didn't do what you do. image/fan_1.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fan_1:' />

👍

Do people realize how much a thank you or thumbs up means to course workers?

And that is awesome. Kudos sir.