If you could only play one Phoenix area course NOT TPC Stadium...

imafishermnimafishermn Members Posts: 35 ✭✭
I'm going to be in town for business in a couple weeks and we are already playing TPC Scottsdale Stadium - couldn't pass this up since it is the week before the tournament. Anyway, we may have an extra day of golf...so what is the one course that is your absolutely must-play in the area? The important things to us are conditions, scenery/memorable, great layout, etc. I played one of the Troon North courses but it was around 10 yrs ago and it was for a business event, so that didn't really count. Other than that, I haven't played any other courses in that area.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
Epic SZ 9* Kuro Kage XD 70TX
TP Aeroburner 13* 3W
Callaway Rogue 2H
Apex CF16 4-AW with Aerotech i110
Vokey SM7 56-14
Scotty Newport 2
ProV1 high numbers

Comments

• DrSchteeveDrSchteeve Scottsdale, AZMembers Posts: 3,415 ✭✭
    Wekopa Saguaro or Southern Dunes
    Cobra F9 9.0 Atmos regular
    Cobra F9 3-4 Atmos regular
    Titleist 818 H1 19* Tensei Blue or, more likely, Cobra F9 2 hybrid 17* Atmos
    Titleist 818 H1 21* Tensei Blue
    Titleist 818 H1 25* Tensei Red
    Titleist 818 H1 27* Red Tie HQ3
    XXIO Forged 7 to SW MX6000 graphite 
    Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage
    TM Spider Tour Day
    OUUL stand bag
    Titleist Velocity
  • seus777seus777 Members Posts: 448 ✭✭
    Scottsdale National
    Driver
    4 wood
    3 hybrid
    Driving Iron
    5-P
    Wedges
    Putter
    Ball
    Bag
  • ferrispgmferrispgm Members Posts: 1,934 ✭✭
    WeKoPa if you want to stay in the Scottsdale area or Southern Dunes if you want to drive a bit and don't care as much about playing a desert course. Many may not agree but I would through Verrado Founders in the mix as well for both scenery and being a good solid course especially when you consider the price versus other courses here.
    Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
    FWY: Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18*
    Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
    54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
    58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
    Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.
  • cbbaroncbbaron Members Posts: 1,032 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 5:53pm #5
    Grayhawk Raptor Or Troon Pinnacle as the course if different from 10 years ago
    Driver Ping G400 Max Hzrdas Yellow
    3w Titleist 915 Aldila Silver
    19 degree Titleist 818 Tensei White
    22 degree Titleist 818 Tensei White
    5- GW. Mizuno Hot Metal Pro Series Nippon Modus 120
    Sw Vokey 54 SM7 S grind
    LW Vokey 58 SM5 S grind
    Putter Scotty Cameron Newport Select Fastback 2
  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    We-ko-pa Saguara. No question. Unless you like looking at houses then Troon. We-ko-pa is beautiful natural dessert, great condition, awesome layout. Really underrated course in my opinion (and it is ranked in the top 100 public). It is exactly what you are looking for.
  • BUCKEYERBALL88BUCKEYERBALL88 Members Posts: 959 ✭✭
    We ko pa saguaro
  • teejaywhyteejaywhy Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon Members Posts: 7,178 ✭✭
    WeKoPa Saguaro

• stevopagolfstevopagolf Members Posts: 1,464 ✭✭
    edited Jan 12, 2019 10:26am #9
    I remember Troon before the houses, played there10 years ago and was surprised at all the housing. Great courses but as previously said a lot of housing....
  • OspreyCIOspreyCI Members Posts: 4,834 ✭✭

We ko pa saguaro

100% THIS ^^^^
    TM M6 10.5 GD AD DI Black 6
    TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    TM M3 4 Iron Atmos
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    TM MY Spider Tour Black
  • UTace10UTace10 Members Posts: 202 ✭✭
    Played Stadium today. You're in for a treat. The course is absolutely mint.
  • DDG61DDG61 Members Posts: 99 ✭✭
    Quintero hands down, better layout and condition (when I’ve been) that We Ko Pa, Troon or Greyhawk.

Enjoyed all but if I only got time for one round it would be Quintero.
  • puttnforthe8puttnforthe8 Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭
    DDG61 wrote:

Quintero hands down, better layout and condition (when I’ve been) that We Ko Pa, Troon or Greyhawk.

Quintero better lay out than Wekopa....sorry, this is just a pure false statement. It is a great course for views and scenery for out of towners, but it is is a mediocre layout.
  • DDG61DDG61 Members Posts: 99 ✭✭
    DDG61 wrote:

Quintero better lay out than Wekopa....sorry, this is just a pure false statement. It is a great course for views and scenery for out of towners, but it is is a mediocre layout.

Not sure opinions can be false but you disagree, no worries. None of the many courses listed is going to send someone away unhappy.
  • az2auaz2au Members Posts: 1,807 ✭✭
    DDG61 wrote:

DDG61 wrote:

Not sure opinions can be false but you disagree, no worries. None of the many courses listed is going to send someone away unhappy.

I think his quibble is with layout. Objectively I believe that Quintero isn’t in the same league from that perspective. It would be hard for a competent architect to do worse with the land than Rees Jones did. Experience, sure, visitors enjoy it. It is pretty. So is We Ko Pa-Cholla. The design is still terrible though.

We talk about this a lot on this forum. I often recommend those two courses to visitors even though I have zero interest in ever playing either again because I think the layouts are so poor. OTOH, I make sure to hit Saguaro at least once per year because the layout is so solid.
  • mvossmvoss Scottsdale, AZMembers Posts: 45 ✭✭
    az2au wrote:
    DDG61 wrote:

DDG61 wrote:

I think his quibble is with layout. Objectively I believe that Quintero isn’t in the same league from that perspective. It would be hard for a competent architect to do worse with the land than Rees Jones did. Experience, sure, visitors enjoy it. It is pretty. So is We Ko Pa-Cholla. The design is still terrible though.

We talk about this a lot on this forum. I often recommend those two courses to visitors even though I have zero interest in ever playing either again because I think the layouts are so poor. OTOH, I make sure to hit Saguaro at least once per year because the layout is so solid.

I would agree with this completely. I have only been here for 15 months and don’t get to play as much golf as others. I have played Quintero once and have played Grayhawk, Saguaro, and Troon multiple times. I am far from the architecture connoisseur that others around here are. The views and conditions at Quintero were fantastic but the layout is too gimmicky imo.

If you are going for views and conditions over layout, by all means go to Quintero. If you want to play a great course where conditions are always solid I would recommend Saguaro.
  • vallygolfvallygolf Members Posts: 417 ✭✭
    edited Jan 14, 2019 11:18am #17
    Quintero is such an amazing course.....until you realize you just hit nearly the same shot into all the par 3's...... Like TPC scottsdale it is a must play for out of towners as one time around isnt bothersome, and the conditions are very good.

*** Just to be clear WeKoPa Saguaro would be my choice if I had one public round.