OT- Any Other Type 2 Diabetics?

After a multitude of tests I’ve just been told I have type 2 diabetes. I’m 43 and am really devastated about this. Do any of you here have this diagnosis and are able to manage successfully? I love to play golf while walking the course and am terrified with how this disease will affect my lifestyle and activity level.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 14.5

Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW

Cleveland CG-10 52,56,60

Cleveland Classic 4.5

Michelle McGann on the LPGA Tour is a Type-2 diabetic. She managed it well on the course during her career. Maybe Google her and I am sure you'll find some info on how she did it.

Are you insulin-dependent? McGann is and uses one of the implanted insulin pumps, which I hear work really well. My dad was an insulin dependent Type 2 diabetic. He did fine on the course when he played, which was sporadically as it developed for him when he was in his late 50s. This was in the late 1970s and 80s. They didn't have pumps back then.

Basically every male blood relative in my family is a diabetic, so the odds are not in my favor. So far, I'm 64 and , knock wood, it hasn't happened to me yet. My A1C has always been fine, but I have had blood tests with a higher-than normal glucose count.

I think you'll find you can play, you just need to monitor your counts and take supplies with you (bananas, orange juice, etc) with you on the course. Don't go too long without eating.

Ping S59 irons 5-PW
Ping bronze J-Blade putter
Titleist 910D2 driver,
TM Jetspeed 3W & 5W
Ping Rapture 21* Hybrid
Ping Eye 2+ SW, Hogan Special PW

I’m not a T2 but I am a T1DM...was diagnosed with type 1 much later than typical; at age 25 (about 6 years ago). The two diseases are obviously different but the gist remains the same: monitor and have snacks. I’m perfectly content having my blood sugar a bit higher whenever I exercise; usually aim to keep it 160-190. I use an insulin pump and a continuous glucose monitor; whether either of those are appropriate for your situation is between you and your doc but I couldn’t be as active as I am without both of those.

I was diagnosed with type 2 in the mid forties. I am 59 now and have played golf the whole time. I have it and most of my friends that golf have it too. From my experience it can act different for different people.

In my case my blood sugar levels would be on the high side. I could control it with proper diet and exercise. I changed from riding golf to walking. I would also walk regular every night. I dropped about 30 lbs. just from a good diet and walking. For about five yrs I didn't take anything for it. Going into my fifties I could no longer control it without meds. I take two different kind of pills now to keep it in check.

My one friend that has it his levels would go up with exercise. He levels were much higher than mine ever gets. He needs to take insulin shots daily. So his case is different than mine.

My wife has it too. In her case her problem is her levels get to low. She doesn't need any meds but she needs to monitor her levels and eat something when they get to low.

You will need to take some time and get adjusted to your situation. Taking a diabetes course is a good idea to learn about it.

Being a Diabetic is a lifestyle change. That doesn't mean your life doesn't go on. I still do most everything I did before becoming diabetic. I just don't do the stuff that is bad for me as often and some things I feel a lot better without.

• Like 1

I’m type 1, have been for 23 years. It takes more preparation than someone without diabetes, but you can do it. My bag is about twice as heavy as an average bag because there’s a grocery store amount of juice and granola bars just in case.

Golf has also become much easier for me since I got a continuous glucose monitor. I used to test my blood sugar every 2-3 holes, now I just look at my phone and see where my blood sugar is trending.

You’ll adjust to this and everything will work out. A good endocrinologist and dietician will be able to help you reach your goals of playing golf as well. Continuing to play, while working to control your blood sugars, will help your health.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

> @jut111 said:

> I’d suggest doing some research on your own. Google Jason Fung to start. Type 2 diabetes can be easily reversed without medication. In fact the medication is what makes it a chronic condition. It’s really quite a shame.

No offence, but advice like this is why a lot of diabetics die. This perpetuates the myth that all Type 2 diabetes is caused by obesity. Then you get people who just have a genetic predisposition to T2D trying to diet their way to a cure and their organs shut down from diabetic ketoacidosis or they suffer from other complications.

> @jut111 said:

> I gave no advice, I suggested seeking information outside of western medicines current thinking. Type 1 is a whole different ballgame. And I said nothing about obesity.

Saying advice and suggestion is different is an argument in semantics. They are about as different as identical twins.

It’s different, yes, but prolonged high blood sugars is not good regardless of the diagnosis. The point is that holistic practices and exercise doesn’t work on its own for many Type 2’s. I’m also aware you didn’t say anything about obesity. Your statement still perpetuates the myth. You stated Type 2 diabetes is easily curable, which as a statement on a grand scale is very false.

And it’s not the 1990’s anymore. Western medicine is infused with methods outside the traditional practice of medicine. No responsible doctor is going to prescribe Type 2’s with drugs and tell them to just keep doing things the same as they have been.

I wish all Type 2’s could be cured easily but that’s just not the case.

Type 1 here- 35 years. The key to long-term health, for me, is minimizing the amount of insulin needed and that comes from low-glycemic index carbs. Fats/proteins all day no problem. For me, my blood sugars stabilize and don’t dip with exercise the LESS carbs I consume.

Now into my 40s.... its definitely getting a bit harder with a sciatic issue developing on left side but I manage to keep my A1Cs constantly in the high-7s. Could be better but has been good enough to keep me complications-free so far all these years.

> @PowderedToastMan said:

> > @jut111 said:

> > I gave no advice, I suggested seeking information outside of western medicines current thinking. Type 1 is a whole different ballgame. And I said nothing about obesity.

>

> Saying advice and suggestion is different is an argument in semantics. They are about as different as identical twins.

>

> It’s different, yes, but prolonged high blood sugars is not good regardless of the diagnosis. The point is that holistic practices and exercise doesn’t work on its own for many Type 2’s. I’m also aware you didn’t say anything about obesity. Your statement still perpetuates the myth. You stated Type 2 diabetes is easily curable, which as a statement on a grand scale is very false.

>

> And it’s not the 1990’s anymore. Western medicine is infused with methods outside the traditional practice of medicine. No responsible doctor is going to prescribe Type 2’s with drugs and tell them to just keep doing things the same as they have been.

>

> I wish all Type 2’s could be cured easily but that’s just not the case.

>

>

Probably not the place for this conversation but I couldn’t disagree more. Of course prolonged high blood glucose is bad. That’s about the only thing in your post I agree with.

• Like 1

Another 35+ year Type 1 here. OP, sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Everyone's experience with T1 or T2 is different, and within each of us, every day can be different, and that can be very frustrating. You'll have to find your own personal tendencies with various meals, physical activities etc, and learn that even if you do everything exactly the same on two different days, your BG levels can vary. Just keep working hard and follow your doctor's advice.

For me, the Dexcom CGM has been a godsend (I got the very first model ages ago and have advanced through their various models before going back to the 4 which I preferred to the 5 or 6).

For golf, a few things that I do (YMMV), for early morning rounds (anything before 9) I don't eat breakfast. I just make sure that my BG is at ok level (100+), not rising or falling when I tee off. Eating breakfast just complicates things mid-round if my BG is either too high or falling. I drink lots of water while I play, and I carry packets of those Welch's fruit snacks in my bag if my BG drops (one packet works great...two if I absolutely need help, but usually one is "just right" without over-correcting which can be very frustrating to go from too low to too high). I always just check my Dexcom to make sure things are staying ok while I play, which I'd consider in the 100-150 range without any fast rising or falling. I have managed to avoid any complications at all, but it takes constant vigilance and patience with things that don't go as planned...my A1c has remained at or below 6.0 for as long as I have measured it, so I am fortunate in that regard.

Good luck to you.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

> @chrismikayla said:

> After a multitude of tests I’ve just been told I have type 2 diabetes. I’m 43 and am really devastated about this. Do any of you here have this diagnosis and are able to manage successfully? I love to play golf while walking the course and am terrified with how this disease will affect my lifestyle and activity level.

Another Type 1 here - but also have some experiences working with Type 2's. It's going to take some education and some adjustments - but nothing that I think really deserves you being terrified about. Most of the lifestyle adjustments one could argue are the type of adjustments most people should make - diabetes or not - healthier eating habits, more exercise, watching your weight IF that's currently an issue. Some other adjustments might be needed depending on what approaches the docs decide to take with respect to meds. Managing risks for the possibility of the blood sugar events is generally going to be the biggest potential concern but can be mitigated fairly well with proper knowledge, understanding of the disease and the meds you end up using, and some good planing skills. The biggest negative impact on lifestyle (IMO) tends to be the fact that you can't always be as spontaneous as others when it comes to food intake and exercise. But with Type 2, the better you get at managing the disease, the more flexibility you might be able to gain.

Do you remember your test results? Have you discussed things with an Endocrinologist yet? discussed treatment options yet?

Also look to finding a good diabetic educator/nurse in your health care system you can use as resource. They generally can be way more helpful than most people's primary care physicians.

> @jut111 said:

> I’d suggest doing some research on your own. Google Jason Fung to start. Type 2 diabetes can be easily reversed without medication. In fact the medication is what makes it a chronic condition. It’s really quite a shame.

I’d agree with this as a possibility. My grandfather was diagnosed with type 2 at age 70. It took him 4 years but he was able to get completely off the medicine and regulate it with diet. Now he wasn’t really overweight , nor inactive. He just cut out all sugar and bread and ate regularly and started a walking routine. I’m sure each case is unique. He lived to be 89. To be diagnosed that old and reverse it must mean it’s possible for a lot of people who don’t try to change their lifestyle.

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @jut111 said:

> I’d suggest doing some research on your own. Google Jason Fung to start. Type 2 diabetes can be **easily** reversed without medication. **In fact the medication is what makes it a chronic condition.** It’s really quite a shame.

OP, please don't take medical advice from a golf forum. Sweeping statements such as these are both dangerous and incorrect. Seek your medical help from a medical professional.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

I was diagnosed two years ago and it has not effected my golf at all. I have a genetic predisposition as well, and did not think weight was an issue. I read Fong's book and follow it with positive reductions in my A1C. I had a choice, control with meds or control with diet. I chose the latter but would switch to meds if I could not do it with diet. If your BMI is in the overweight category or obese category, that should be a focus regardless of whether medications are your chosen route. I do not think there is a right or wrong way to go about this, but if you are overweight, it is a good time to take care of that issue. I try to walk at least nine holes even when my partners are carting.

> @mukster said:

> > @jut111 said:

> > I’d suggest doing some research on your own. Google Jason Fung to start. Type 2 diabetes can be **easily** reversed without medication. **In fact the medication is what makes it a chronic condition.** It’s really quite a shame.

>

> OP, please don't take medical advice from a golf forum. Sweeping statements such as these are both dangerous and incorrect. Seek your medical help from a medical professional

I was pretty careful not to pass off my post as advice. If I failed I apologize. I meant to simply suggest that they’re may be other options out there and suggested educating yourself and thinking with an open mind.

If your of the belief that the medical profession has never been wrong; never been guilty of treating symptoms not causes; or never been subtly swayed by the impact on the bottom line writing a script has by all means follow them blindly.