Mizuno Shaft Optimizer surprising results

jcvandamme

So I've been eyeing up the Hot Metal Pros for awhile and today was the Mizuno demo day at my home course. As a bonus, I got to be fit with the Shaft Optimizer. Right now my irons are TM RSi TPs with S300 Pros in them. I was fitted for them about 3 or 4 years ago, right after they came out.

Needless to say, I was surprised when the best fit for me out of the top 5 results was Project X LZ 5.0 flex. I wish I could remember more of my numbers that the Optimizer spit out, but the 2 pieces of information I remember are an average 6 iron swing speed of 82 mph, and a tempo rating of 4. I know my swing has very little wrist hinge (ala Steve Stricker), so does this make sense? I figured I was a 5.5 or 6.0 flex. I'm not opposed to the shafts themselves because I thought they felt great and everything was going right at the flag I was aiming at, I was just surprised at the flex of them. TIA.

It’s a self revealing experience, as well that I went thru with Mizuno.

Ive been a S300 guy my whole life and played the AMT in my 900T as a compromise but did see the results in the 3 iron.

When I was fitted for the newly 18 series, ended up going with the recommended 5.5 LZ and at first was uncomfortable but now that I have some competition rounds in my men’s league, It’s definitely agree with the optimizer.

You may also want to factor in optimal launch angle, spin rate and fatigue (repeatability vs endurance). I learned 5.0 was too spinning and 6.0 was fatigued.

I have an extremely upright backswing with an in to out shallow follow thru and huge divots.

Interesting. Would love to hear how many of you have been on it and found the results to be accurate and positive on the course. I am planning on getting on one soon... my shaft selection is all over the place right now.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I was fit with the shaft optimizer a few years ago and was recommended the Nippon Modus 3 Tour 130X-shaft. Really happy with the result and I have a hard time seeing myself making a switch anytime soon.

• Like 1
WITB 2020
TaylorMade SIM 9° @ 7°
Titleist 917F3 13,5°
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2i
Srixon Z 585 3i-4i, Z 785 5i, Z Forged 6i-PW
Cleveland RTX 4 Raw 50, 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 / TM Spider X

I'v been fit a few times with the optimizer, all bar once have I been happy with the results.

They are only a guide as to the best fits for you. If you like the feel who cares what the flex is.

Someone with a really slow/smooth transition is going to be able to play a lighter shaft.

Mizuno St-Z - 9.5 - Accra Tour Z RPG H
Callaway Epic flash - 15, tensei blue av 75
Ping G410 - 19 Tour Ad DI
Yonex Cb301 pw-7 Cb501 6-4- Modus 120
Titleist Sm8 - 50 - 54 - 58
SIK DW-c

I too have had great results. It fitted me into an x-stiff, which I would not normally have ever tried. The actual shaft I was supposed to be in was the Project X 6.0 and that felt like a 2x4 trying to swing it. I ended up in the KBS C-Taper XS and they are perfect for my swing.

DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder 8.8X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
Putter: Seemore Nashville
Ball: 2021 Pro V1

Its a fantastic tool.

This is one of the first easy to access tools that truly designates a value to things that were previously observed by fitters and then left to be judged. This little device is a game changer for shops that don't have extremely experienced fitters on staff but want to offer a good fit.

I was definitely very impressed with the 20 or 25 balls I hit with the 5.0 shaft. One of my regular golf buddies was watching the fitting and even he commented on how good the ballflight and accuracy was. He may regret that comment if I start taking money out of his wallet instead of the other way around...

> @Jmm96 said:

> Is the Mizuno shaft optimizer a tool that most fitting or retail locations have? Is it usually free to use or is there a cost? i ask because I've never found one available locally to use. As a club tinkerer at home, I would really like to see my recommended options without having to go through a full fitting.

The course I work at carries Mizuno clubs, so they have one that came with their fitting cart. I would assume you just need to find a certified Mizuno dealer near you.

I got fitted recently and was my top result was KBS Tour X130 and Project X 6.5's - my 7-6 iron swing speed (I don't recall what the optimizer is, I believe its a 6) was 99 mph. I tried the LZ too however, the kick I felt that the normal PX shafts had was simply incredible. Needless to say, I have not looked back since I got them. Also, remember that at a fitting it is about fitting what is technically right for you - not necessarily what you conceive as right.

> @Nixhex524 said:

> Interesting. Would love to hear how many of you have been on it and found the results to be accurate and positive on the course. I am planning on getting on one soon... my shaft selection is all over the place right now.

I've found it super accurate.

Before trying it out, I purchased lots of 6 irons with all these different shafts. The top 3 that came on the mizuno optimizer matched what I felt were the best for me when I was testing all the shafts. KBS Tour Soft step, Modus 120 Stiff and Modus 105 X stiff. I was super surprised

Titleist TSR2 10 Ventus Blue
Taylormade Stealth 2 5W
Taylormade Stealth 4H VA Slay 85 S
Mizuno Pro 225 Nippon Modus 115 S
Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 - Nippon Modus 3 Wedge 115

Taylormade Spider Putter

It was a surprise using it. Before I had a go on the optimiser I had been to a few golf shops and the “fitters” had all put me in lighter shafts, ranging from Kbs tour 90 to c taper lite. Don’t get me wrong I liked the feel of the shafts but was still seeing a bit of a hook. I then went to a fitter who had the machine and the results Suggested modus 120 x and c taper S, and AMT (can’t remember which one) s300. I tried the modus and loved it, ball flight was much better. Went with the 120 in the end. Clubs feel great on the course, couldn’t be happier.

I think it's a useful tool to help narrow down the choices. I've been on it a few times and it's suggested shafts that, based on what I would read, I wouldn't think are for me. That said, only once has the top choice produced the best results on the range. I've also found that the choice doesn't always carry over to other clubs.

Most of the fitters I've spoken with feel that it will tend to err on the slightly stiffer side, so that is something to keep in mind. Maybe the algorithm values accuracy over distance.

> @Nixhex524 said:

> Interesting. Would love to hear how many of you have been on it and found the results to be accurate and positive on the course. I am planning on getting on one soon... my shaft selection is all over the place right now.

I've done the shaft optimizer on two different occassions now and I can say that both times I ended up with shafts that fit me very well.

The thing to remember is that the shaft optimizer fits you into a profile based on what it measures and also that there are usually a few shafts or more that fit in that profile. My suggestion is to try the 3 it recommends and select what you like based on your priorities. Maybe for you it's best dispersion, as long as you like the feel of the shaft. For others it might be finding a shaft that they able work one way or the other more easily.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @Jmm96 said:

> Is the Mizuno shaft optimizer a tool that most fitting or retail locations have? Is it usually free to use or is there a cost? i ask because I've never found one available locally to use. As a club tinkerer at home, I would really like to see my recommended options without having to go through a full fitting.

I believe it's part of the Mizuno fitting cart. Fitting charges (if any) are dependent upon the particular shop/store. Most retail stores with them don't charge (in my experience) but there are always exceptions.

Anyway try looking here to find one:

https://www.mizunousa.com/jump.do?itemID=5&itemType=LANDING&page=bullseye&region=Golf

> @ddetts said:

> > @Nixhex524 said:

> > Interesting. Would love to hear how many of you have been on it and found the results to be accurate and positive on the course. I am planning on getting on one soon... my shaft selection is all over the place right now.

>

> I've done the shaft optimizer on two different occassions now and I can say that both times I ended up with shafts that fit me very well.

>

> The thing to remember is that the shaft optimizer fits you into a profile based on what it measures and also that there are usually a few shafts or more that fit in that profile. My suggestion is to try the 3 it recommends and select what you like based on your priorities. Maybe for you it's best dispersion, as long as you like the feel of the shaft. For others it might be finding a shaft that they able work one way or the other more easily.

Thanks... I tried it a couple years ago and had good results with the PX 5.5 (flighted), but lately I have found I have gotten decent results with shafts a little heavier.. I want to try it again and see if anything has changed so I can stop self fitting..LOL

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I went to a mizuno demo day here today. Got to try the shaft optimizer, they had me hit a jpx forged 7 iron. My top 5 shafts were..

1. Project X LZ 6.0

2. AMT Tour white x100

3. Dynamic gold 120x

4. Project x 6.0

5. N.S. Pro Modus 120x

Very interesting since I would never consider a X flex in my irons. Ever shaft in the top 5 or 6 was a 120g weight. I currently play 130g dg s300. I really liked the project x lz 6.0.

I was happy I was able to hit 3 beautiful shots with the optimizer, would have felt dumb if I shanked one.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

> @Nixhex524 said:

> > @ddetts said:

> > > @Nixhex524 said:

> > > Interesting. Would love to hear how many of you have been on it and found the results to be accurate and positive on the course. I am planning on getting on one soon... my shaft selection is all over the place right now.

> >

> > I've done the shaft optimizer on two different occassions now and I can say that both times I ended up with shafts that fit me very well.

> >

> > The thing to remember is that the shaft optimizer fits you into a profile based on what it measures and also that there are usually a few shafts or more that fit in that profile. My suggestion is to try the 3 it recommends and select what you like based on your priorities. Maybe for you it's best dispersion, as long as you like the feel of the shaft. For others it might be finding a shaft that they able work one way or the other more easily.

>

> Thanks... I tried it a couple years ago and had good results with the PX 5.5 (flighted), but lately I have found I have gotten decent results with shafts a little heavier.. I want to try it again and see if anything has changed so I can stop self fitting..LOL

That's what I recently did. Swing changes and SuperSpeed helped me pick up some club head speed and my current shafts weren't cutting it. So I wanted to get fit again to see what shafts I fit into now.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• 1 year later...

Looking for help - I recently had a fitting done at Club Champion and the results of the shaft comparison were non conclusive. My 6 iron swing speed is ~100mph, and I am pretty steep (frequency take big divots). From a stiffness profile standpoint (butt, mid section, tip, etc) is there anything to consider for a steep swinging player? My miss consistently Is an over-draw / sometimes double cross. I also tend to hit irons pretty high and straight (I don’t work the ball too much). I’m in my late 20s and have been playing with MP60 project x6.0 since I was 15. They’ve felt boardy to me over the years hence why I wanted to give DGx100 a try. I’m scared that leaving project X is a mistake because I will miss the stability.

I hit the shaft optimizer today and swung the different irons outdoors. Looking for guidance on my numbers. I will say I liked the feel of project x the best (straighter, more consistent ball flight). Do the metrics support that this decision is okay?

Head Speed - 105.67

Tempo - 8.0

Toe Down - 5.33

Kick Angle - 6.67

Release Factor - 3.0

• 6 months later...

Old thread I know, but I've used the older and newer generation of the shaft optimizer and it spits out the same results every time: #1 is KBS C-Taper 130X, #2 is DG X100, and I forget #3.

I've used X100 on and off for a while and always get good results. I've never used C-Taper 130X because it always felt sort of heavy.

I did an iron fitting ~6-months ago and my fitter has this tool that dynamically measured the shaft during the swing to see exactly how you're loading and unloading the shaft. It takes all the "feel" out of it and shows which shaft is the most consistently kicking and flexing shaft for your swing.

Well, sure enough, the shaft that was most consistent for my swing (and by a HUGE margin) was C-Taper 130X. I didn't buy anything that day as I just wanted to see what fit me best.

So, long story short, I think I'm going to try C-Taper 130X in my next iron purchase. I've been "fit" for it numerous times but haven't done anything about it. Seems silly to me that I haven't tried 'em yet.

13 minutes ago, tgoodspe1991 said:

I did an iron fitting ~6-months ago and my fitter has this tool that dynamically measured the shaft during the swing to see exactly how you're loading and unloading the shaft. It takes all the "feel" out of it and shows which shaft is the most consistently kicking and flexing shaft for your swing.

Interesting, never knew that type of device was available outside some high end research labs - assuming it really is doing what you think it's doing.  However ....

Stiffer will almost always be more consistent in terms of the actual flex of the shaft.  But that's not what is the important thing to check when looking at consistency.  It's the consistency of the ball flight results that's really important and that can  commonly be very dependent on the feel and the players interpretation of the feel.   Feel from the club (whether weight or stiffness) can be a major driver of the swing.   And that doesn't even include the influence it can have on the players confidence.

So short answer is you do NOT want to take the "feel" out it when it comes to fitting and shaft selection.  In many cases (for some people) it can be the most important aspect of picking a shaft.

Edited by Stuart_G

On 4/27/2019 at 4:09 AM, Nixhex524 said:

The thing to remember is that the shaft optimizer fits you into a profile based on what it measures and also that there are usually a few shafts or more that fit in that profile. My suggestion is to try the 3 it recommends and select what you like based on your priorities. Maybe for you it's best dispersion, as long as you like the feel of the shaft. For others it might be finding a shaft that they able work one way or the other more easily.

I will agree with this point here.

I have been to fittings where the fitter used the Mizuno optimizer and it's best to try out the top 3 recommendations. It doesn't mean all 3 is the best for you, take it as more like 1 of these 3 will the best for you.

It definitely saves a lot of time through process of elimination.

Titleist TS3 8.5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist TS3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 22* 

Srixon Zx7 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*

Indi 58*

Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide