Shaft Types and Their Effects

A.Princey ·  
A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker 2437WRX Points: 492Handicap: 3Members Posts: 2,437 Platinum Tees

By all normal measures I should be in X-stiff flex across the board, but my results were pretty abnormal to say the least using really stiff shafts. Probably a swing flaw or feel issue, but everything wanted to turn over on me using uber stiff shafts. Pulls and snap hooks were a constant issue while using X100s and stout graphite in driver/fw's.

Fast forward to early last summer, through 'til now, but I've put R400s in my irons and use R-flex Blueboard shafts in my driver and fairway, and the ball filght has never been better, straight and flush. The only issue I can possibly find since my switch is a slight loss of distance, around 6-8% lower. I'm sure all the dynamics involved in one's own swing can explain the added success and small distance dropoff, but I've never been playing better golf in my life. I've had a handful of 9 hole stretches under par in my last 20 rounds, and before that with the x-stiff combo I was lucky to have had 1 in about 2 years. For what it's worth, my SS with a 43.5" driver is 106, and transition/tempo is borderline violent. I cannot explain why the change has worked so well, but hopefully my trial-and-error will encourage others to explore avenues that don't fit logical explanation. I don't care if my shafts say R, I'll take my playing partners money all day as they laugh about my "weak" azz.

Posted:

Titleist 915D2 10.5*, Fujikura Pro 70X 43.5"
Ping G SFT 16*, Matrix 8Q3-X 41.5"
Ping OG Rapture 2-U, DG XP - R300
Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
"Rusty" Byron DH89 Pipeneck, 34" (or any of 10  2 other putters...)

B330-RX

Comments

• RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now) 4079WRX Points: 422Handicap: 8.2Members Posts: 4,079 Titanium Tees

If the profile works for ya, don't question it.

Posted:
    Ping G400 10.5 (9.5) Hzrdus Yellow 75 5.5
    Ping G410 3wd 16* Tensei Orange  
    Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105 S (2019 Forged Tec  Modus 105 R coming soon) 
    Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
    Vokey SM7 58/8 M 
    Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)/ Bettinardi BB1
    Chrome Soft / TourB RXS / ProV1
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Nard_SNard_S  3710WRX Points: 744Handicap: 9Members Posts: 3,710 Titanium Tees

Weight profile and kick profile are two differing aspects to explore. Maybe you're benefiting from the mid kick of R over X's higher kick. Or maybe the lighter weight of R is the driver of goodness. Your's to answer. I know I cannot touch X100 with comfort but can enjoy TX in Rifle's which is frankly baffling to me. But the Rifle's are mid kick and swing the same as S version, they're just heavier. X100 is more than just weight to the S300/400 variant. Kick is pumped higher too, too high for my liking. Point is, if you need a further answer (sounds like you do not), play around by breaking out those two variables a bit more.

Posted:
  • PlayfromtheBrainPlayfromtheBrain  204WRX Points: 91Members Posts: 204 Fairways

Sounds like the R-flex helped you slow your swing tempo down and allow everything to move in sync. I use X-flex in driver and stiff in woods and irons. No doubt this works for me, but sometimes, I catch myself getting in too much of a hurry with the driver and not only will I start hooking it, but I start trying to swing the irons and woods too hard, as well. A little practice with my softer iron shafts gets everything back in sync.

Posted:
  • mogc60mogc60  1016WRX Points: 481Members Posts: 1,016 Platinum Tees

Headweight. In the R flex you essentially get more headweight feel in the same head. You also get head lag which keeps the face open longer. At 106 swingspeed x flex is too strong in most shafts anyways but you would have to add headweight to get the feel of the head at that speed. Your move must be similar to mine because if a shaft is too stiff for me it’s left city. A shaft that’s too soft will head right and higher. Others have different results. What works for you works for you...take the shaft bands off and play good golf. Sounds like you’re on the right track. Congrats on having the guts to play what works.
    Everyone should read your post...you’re dead on!

Posted:

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

• A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker  2437WRX Points: 492Handicap: 3Members Posts: 2,437 Platinum Tees

I needed to go stiffer in my wedges, however, not much but a little. I was blocking a lot of shots straight right with too little flex here. Every once and awhile now, with a long iron(used be notorious for snappers), I find myself favoring the right side in case a hook shoots off the clubface, as it's been hard to trust my new flight path. I can happily say that I'm hitting straight blocks at worst in these situations and have been growing increasingly confident in lining up straight to my target without that same fear of the lefts.

Posted:

Titleist 915D2 10.5*, Fujikura Pro 70X 43.5"
    Ping G SFT 16*, Matrix 8Q3-X 41.5"
    Ping OG Rapture 2-U, DG XP - R300
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    "Rusty" Byron DH89 Pipeneck, 34" (or any of 10  2 other putters...)

B330-RX

• Howard_JonesHoward_Jones  10310WRX Points: 1,440Members Posts: 10,310 Titanium Tees

On -, @A.Princey said:

By all normal measures I should be in X-stiff flex across the board, but my results were pretty abnormal to say the least using really stiff shafts. Probably a swing flaw or feel issue, but everything wanted to turn over on me using uber stiff shafts. Pulls and snap hooks were a constant issue while using X100s and stout graphite in driver/fw's.

Fast forward to early last summer, through 'til now, but I've put R400s in my irons and use R-flex Blueboard shafts in my driver and fairway, and the ball filght has never been better, straight and flush. The only issue I can possibly find since my switch is a slight loss of distance, around 6-8% lower. I'm sure all the dynamics involved in one's own swing can explain the added success and small distance dropoff, but I've never been playing better golf in my life. I've had a handful of 9 hole stretches under par in my last 20 rounds, and before that with the x-stiff combo I was lucky to have had 1 in about 2 years. For what it's worth, my SS with a 43.5" driver is 106, and transition/tempo is borderline violent. I cannot explain why the change has worked so well, but hopefully my trial-and-error will encourage others to explore avenues that don't fit logical explanation. I don't care if my shafts say R, I'll take my playing partners money all day as they laugh about my "weak" azz.

Feel of flex and shaft bending is a trigger for how much power we use when we swing the clubs.
    You describe your swing as borderline violent, and a player like that need both some shaft and head weight, and a SOFTER shaft, so feedback takes off some tempo stress...We can use flex to speed up or slow down a players tempo, so what happened is simply that the feedback you get "improves your swing". X100 was to stiff, so to make them work or feel right, they needed "overload", and that fast tempo becomes even worse...the FEEL factor must never be underestimated since good feel makes us to swing the same, and bad feel makes us to do something different to make it work ...club specs FORCES us to change one way or the other, for the better or worse.

This way of using shaft specs and profiles is described in my DIY driver tune up in the chapter VISUAL FITTING where i describe how a Club fitter is able to SEE clubs specs and if the club is to heavy or to strong in flex for the player. We dont need Launch monitors to judge this, impact pattern and what we SEE during the swing with our own eyes is enough when we know what to look for, so i used this method for both total weight, flex and profiles.

Posted:

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PMs ON CLUB TECH ISSUES - ASK PUBLIC IN THE FORUM.

Unless you are a former Customer or someone i already have a PM dialog with, i want reply to tech questions on PMs.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.