GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE, Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3W - ENTER HERE.

Precision pro nx7 vs Nikon coolshot vr 80

Jcorp ·  
JcorpJcorp Members  32WRX Points: 15Posts: 32 Bunkers

Hey folks,
Really honing my golf game. Decided it was time to get a range finder soon. After doing some research I have discovered that it seems the precision pro nx7 and Nikon coolshot are best bang for the buck. I like how the precision shows both the slope measurement and non slope and I like how the Nikon is so steady and will show you multiple distances such as trees in the background and the flag so you know that closer reading is the flag and don’t have to worry if it’s only picking up something in the background. Anyways, any opinions on the two? Any other rangefinder I need to look at? Not sure which one to get.
Figured I’d use my phone for gps layouts and get a rangefinder. Thanks in advance.

Posted:

Comments

• North ButteNorth Butte Members  11800WRX Points: 1,601Posts: 11,800 Titanium Tees

As far as I'm concerned, having used a Nikon VR rangefinder for a couple years now I'd never even consider one without the vibration reduction.

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • BottleCapBottleCap Members  1506WRX Points: 263Posts: 1,506 Platinum Tees

I wouldn't consider the Precison Pro, I feel the Nikon is slow, but the Precision Pro is ultra slow.
    Compare the Nikon with a Bushnell Pro X2, I think the X2 is way faster and has the jolt, but the Nikon does have the stabilization which is really nice. If you play with sun glasses, the Nikon eye piece seems to work better than the Bushnell in my testing, without glasses, the eye cup of the Bushnell worked better.

Posted:
    Taylormade M5 Mitsubishi Kuro Kage XD 70 S
    Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
    Mizuno MP 69 3-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • gpleonardgpleonard New Smyrna Beach, FloridaMembers  1353WRX Points: 159Handicap: 15Posts: 1,353 Platinum Tees

Precision Pro NX7 is a very nice range finder. I do not find it to be slow at all. Very accurate and easy to use.

Posted:
    Gil Leonard
  • KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan... Members  8047WRX Points: 629Posts: 8,047 Titanium Tees

On -, @gpleonard said:

Precision Pro NX7 is a very nice range finder. I do not find it to be slow at all. Very accurate and easy to use.

Same. As good or better than just about any of its competitors, and at a better price.

Posted:
    PING G400 Max 10.5° (-) | (fw tbd) | PING G410 19° (F-) | PING i25 22°, 26° | Callaway XHP 6-AW | PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES | PING Heppler Ketsch, 34.75"
    Srixon Z-Star Yellow
  • swgolferswgolfer GoLow2 Members  374WRX Points: 101Handicap: 3Posts: 374 Greens

Who can really justify if say the Pro X2 is a 1/10 of a second quicker and $300 more, as has been discussed all over the threads Laser technology has become a fairly even playing field, if you want to pay hundreds more for gadgets and features I get it but the Precision Pro, Golf Buddy and several others are much less and I would argue equal or better than the Holy Grail Company that was the first. Technology always gets copied and refined and ultimately the same components are used and the question is why do some companies charge significantly more.

Posted:
  • PhilomathesqPhilomathesq Legal EagleMembers  920WRX Points: 1,072Handicap: My tolerance for stupidity.Posts: 920 Golden Tee

Another vote here for the NX7. While I think the Nikon is great, I love my NX7. Also, I have never found it to be slow, in general, or slow compared to other models. There may be a fraction of as second difference between models, but I've never noticed it.

Posted:

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone 9* w/ Fujikura Atmos TS Black 7X
    3-Wood: TaylorMade M5 15* w/ Oban Devotion 8 O5
    Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5
    4i - 9i: Callaway Apex MB w/ KBS C-Taper 130X
    Wedges: Jaws MD5 46/10S, 50/10S, 54/8C, 58/8W, all w/ DG TI S400
    Putter: Lajosi Custom DD201WB w/ Stability Shaft
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1827210/philomathesqs-whats-in-the-bag

Advertisement
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members  11800WRX Points: 1,601Posts: 11,800 Titanium Tees

On -, @swgolfer said:

Who can really justify if say the Pro X2 is a 1/10 of a second quicker and $300 more, as has been discussed all over the threads Laser technology has become a fairly even playing field, if you want to pay hundreds more for gadgets and features I get it but the Precision Pro, Golf Buddy and several others are much less and I would argue equal or better than the Holy Grail Company that was the first. Technology always gets copied and refined and ultimately the same components are used and the question is why do some companies charge significantly more.

For me there are two meaningful differences among rangefinders, assuming they have the basic accuracy down as almost all of them do nowadays.

If you wear glasses, decent eye relief is an advantage. I've seen a couple models over the years (one of the older Leupolds, the little aluminum Bushnell from a few years back) where I couldn't quite see the edges of the field with my glasses on. But most of them currently on the market are perfectly usable with glasses.

And then the big one is optical image stabilization. I know it's expensive but for me it is enough better that I wouldn't consider a rangefinder without it. Fortunately, we're still talking less than 400 bucks so it's not like it's going to cost a thousand. But not cheap. Yet.

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX  2577WRX Points: 1,567Handicap: +2.2Posts: 2,577 ClubWRX

Beware: that particular model of Nikon rangefinder cannot be used with polarized sunglasses. If you do not wear polarized sunglasses when you play then it will work fine.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 8° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Jim Kronus JK-1 Custom Grind 54/06 w/DG S200
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Snell MTB-X in yellow
  • dasamsdasams Members  362WRX Points: 129Posts: 362 Greens

It's pricy but the Nikon stabilized rangefinder is very nice and works with polarized sun glasses

Posted:
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX  2577WRX Points: 1,567Handicap: +2.2Posts: 2,577 ClubWRX

On -, @dasams said:

It's pricy but the Nikon stabilized rangefinder is very nice and works with polarized sun glasses

Coolshot pro or 80 VR?

Posted:
  • dasamsdasams Members  362WRX Points: 129Posts: 362 Greens

Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized works with polarized sun glasses

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @dasams said:

Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized works with polarized sun glasses

Yes. Apparently Nikon fixed their design when they came out with the Pro Stabilized. OP was asking about 80 VR so your post was confusing.

Posted:
  • ethan380ethan380 Members  80WRX Points: 13Posts: 80 Fairways

The VR is very nice but what's interesting is the time it takes to get an accurate reading is about the same, since precision pro shoots a few times before displaying the result. Precision pro doesn't let you shoot as precise a target though.

Posted:

I'd love to try the bushnel though.

Posted:
  • flaghunting1987flaghunting1987 Members  99WRX Points: 54Posts: 99 Fairways

On -, @Jcorp said:

Hey folks,
    Really honing my golf game. Decided it was time to get a range finder soon. After doing some research I have discovered that it seems the precision pro nx7 and Nikon coolshot are best bang for the buck. I like how the precision shows both the slope measurement and non slope and I like how the Nikon is so steady and will show you multiple distances such as trees in the background and the flag so you know that closer reading is the flag and don’t have to worry if it’s only picking up something in the background. Anyways, any opinions on the two? Any other rangefinder I need to look at? Not sure which one to get.
    Figured I’d use my phone for gps layouts and get a rangefinder. Thanks in advance.

I have the Precision pro NX9 and am indifferent about it...

POSITIVES - fast, pulse vibration, free battery replacement, good customer service
    NEGATIVE - the mode button is right next to the shoot button and always switches from slope to non slope unintentionally, doesn't work in mild fog (very mild fog).

I am trying to return mine actually because of the fog issue when I play early in the morning which is 90% of the time. It only reads 20 yards when I can clearly see the flag and should work. Ive never had any other rangefinder scopes NOT work because of little fog.

Posted:
  • halliedoghalliedog Members  2564WRX Points: 340Handicap: 5.2Posts: 2,564 Titanium Tees

On -, @ethan380 said:

The VR is very nice but what's interesting is the time it takes to get an accurate reading is about the same, since precision pro shoots a few times before displaying the result. Precision pro doesn't let you shoot as precise a target though.

Strange, I can shoot lips of bunkers to figure carry, trees on a dogleg, rocks bordering a creek/pond, etc... These distances are verified by a partner with a GPS.

Posted:
    WITB:
    Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
    Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
    TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
    TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
    TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Advertisement

On -, @halliedog said:

On -, @ethan380 said:

Strange, I can shoot lips of bunkers to figure carry, trees on a dogleg, rocks bordering a creek/pond, etc... These distances are verified by a partner with a GPS.

Yes, I should have specified. For those kind of targets, I agree. but for the flag specifically I find its easy to hit the background and end up 30 yards off so I end up holding it for several seconds to make sure it locks.

Posted:
  • Sons_of_PitchesSons_of_Pitches Members  159WRX Points: 68Posts: 159 Fairways

+1 on the NX9. I have had both the NX7 Slope and NX9 and both have been good but the optics; compared to Bushnell or Nikon is night and day. Way better optics/clarity in the Bushnell/Nikon. If you don't mind spending the extra $ get a Bushnell or Nikon, however, if you want to save some $ get the Precision Pro.

Posted:

Sons_of_Pitches,

• Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* /w Fujikura Ventus Black 6-S
    • Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* /w Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-S
    • Titleist 818 H1 23* /w Aldia RIP Phenom Hybrid 80g S
    • Mizuno JPX 919 HMP 4-PW /w Project X LZ 6.0
    • Titleist Vokey SM7 Wedges 50.10F/54.8M/58.8M
    • Putter: Scotty Cameron 2018 Fastback / Tommy Armour Impact No. 3
    • Ball: Titleist Pro V1X

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.