George Gankas Model - mid-round corrections - What's yours

Rambo50Rambo50 Members Posts: 31 ✭✭

Does anyone work on correcting a fault mid-round by doing an exaggerated feel during preshot routines? After hitting balls at the range I usually step to the first tee with confidence built and my faults worked out.....after the first hole my faults start to creep back in. Or, I'll suddenly have a fault that I've never had before. I thought it would be great to make my own library of mid-round fault fixes so I can try to keep the train on the rails during rounds where I'm struggling. An example would be over fading my driver (fix: 10-to-4 in-to-out drill in preshot to get my club face more closed at impact). Another example is when I start having a hard time getting off my back foot (fix: feet together on backswing and take a step forward with lead foot during preshot.). Am I just creating more issues by over thinking and doing exaggerations during my preshot routine specific to how I'm playing that day? Or should I just stick with 1 preshot routine/exaggeration and use it during the whole round? Also, if you follow the Gankas model and you do try and make corrections mid-round, what are your most common faults and what are your preshot routine fixes that you utilize to keep things on the rails? Thank you.

Comments

• RichieHuntRichieHunt Members Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

GG doesn't work much in feels. He works in checkpoint and drills that emulate what the golfer needs to do to make the move.

For the most part, right now my big issue is a jump stall type of move. Essentially, my left knee loses flexion too soon in the downswing and I end up getting too much secondary axis tilt and really pull down the club too early. It also causes the face to open up and then I have to throw and flip to square the face.

I simply try to do what GG describes in his playing lesson with Johnny Ruiz. Go thru my thoughts on one practice swing and then try to turn that thought into a feel and give it a rip.

RH

• Santiago GolfSantiago Golf I Strive to make you Better Members Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ive learned there are 6 stages to golf learning
    1) Mentaling Understand Concept- What you are going to do
    2) Being able to Reherse Concept- learning how to do it
    3) Being able Practice Concept- understanding how to do it
    4) Pratice Transfer- proving you learned how to do it
    5) Preformance Transer- proving you understand how to do it
    6) Making it a feel- This what im going to do now

Stage 1- should take some thinkimg, should be med difficualty
    Stage 2-5- will take alot thinking, high diff, you will struggle if the change is significant
    Stage 6- could take little thinking, easy to achieve at this poimt, swing away

Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
    Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
    Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
    4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
    L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
    Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)
  • ZitlowZitlow Members Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭

@Santiago Golf said:
    Ive learned there are 6 stages to golf learning
    1) Mentaling Understand Concept- What you are going to do
    2) Being able to Reherse Concept- learning how to do it
    3) Being able Practice Concept- understanding how to do it
    4) Pratice Transfer- proving you learned how to do it
    5) Preformance Transer- proving you understand how to do it
    6) Making it a feel- This what im going to do now

Stage 1- should take some thinkimg, should be med difficualty
    Stage 2-5- will take alot thinking, high diff, you will struggle if the change is significant
    Stage 6- could take little thinking, easy to achieve at this poimt, swing away

That's interesting. I've always heard there are 3 stages of learning:
    1. Conscious incompetence
    2. Conscious competence
    3. Unconscious competence

• Soloman1Soloman1 Members Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm, I've learned there are five stages of golf:

1. Denial: I can't friggin' believe that it's so hard to hit a ball that's just sitting there.
    2. Anger: Grrrrr! What the heck is going on? Why can't I do this? I'm a natural athlete!
    3. Bargaining: OK, I'll spend some time studying this on Youtube and Google. I'm pretty sure I could do brain surgery by watching Youtube, so golf should be easier.
    4. Depression: Sheesh. I got sucked into spending all this money at GolfTec with some guy who can't break 85 and I'm getting worse.
    5. Acceptance: Golf is too hard. I'm going to increase my beer intake at the course and enjoy the time outdoors, no matter how long it takes to play.
    I'm quitting at 6.022 x 10^23 posts.
    Avogadro would be proud.
  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers Posts: 7,403 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Generally our miss is very repeatable and due to the same root cause, if you understand your miss and the feels/rehearsals/pumps that help mitigate it, there shouldn't be much change regardless of how things are going. If the miss is worse, likely just need to exaggerate it a bit more

• JD3JD3 Members Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 14, 2019 1:10am #7

Just slow it down and make a complete swing to finish. About all one can hope to do is manage tempo during a round, and in a slower motion for sure I can deliver the clubface more squarely to the back of the ball. Trying much else mid round is going down a rabbit hole imo. Not like we all haven't been there, just sayin

TM M1 2017 10.5 Tensei CK Orange 60x
    TM M1 2016 3W HL Tensei CK White 70x 
    Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85s+
    Callaway Apex 2019 4 - AW KBS Tour 120s (hard stepped 1x)
    Yururi Tataki Wedges 52.5 and 60.5 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0x
    Ping Anser 2 Milled
    NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
    ProV1x
    UA Jordan Spieth 2
    Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)
  • Rambo50Rambo50 Members Posts: 31 ✭✭

I focussed more on this yesterday with some success and had the best driving and iron day in a long time! I had a little list of faults and their corrective preshot routines and I would pick preshot routines to correct faults from that last couple swings. I'd do the preshot routine and then shut my mind off during the actual swing.

I don't know if this is a long term solution but it's off to a good start.

• DevilDogDevilDog Members Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

A shot of tequila works best for me mid round

• MysteryVMysteryV Members Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

I tend to do a Justin Rose type of "45 degree behind me, clubface very shut" (at P6 I believe? Club parallel in DS?) pre-shot feel with the driver when start losing them to the right. Works really well to get me back on track (or just results in a mega snap hook :/ )

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Tensei PO
    3 Wood: Epic 3+ w/ GD AD-DI
    Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/ Oban CT-115
    Wedges: Miura Y Grind 51, Miura K Grind 56,60 w/ Modus Wedge
    Putter: Scotty Newport 2 - AOP Oval Track

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file