2020 PGA Merchandise Show Coverage.... Here.

First time in Virginia Beach and time for one round (Nov 22)

badf1sh ·  
badf1shbadf1sh  84WRX Points: 72Lefty Boomers Posts: 84

Making the trip from Canada for my kids lacrosse tournament that weekend. I've got time for one round and have never been to the area.

What kind of weather am I in for? Any course recommendation (less than $100)?

Posted:

Comments

• OcgolfrickOcgolfrick  1703WRX Points: 904Members Posts: 1,703

While I can't tell you the exact weather in late November, I can promise you it will be windy.
    As for courses in VA Beach, my favorite is The Signature at West Neck, an Arnold Palmer design.
    https://www.signatureatwestneck.com/
    If you are can go farther afield, the Bay Creek courses feature an Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus design and are always in impeccable shape.
    https://www.baycreek.net/signature-courses/

Drawback to Bay Creek is the $20 Bay Bridge Tunnel fee, and drive to get there. Traffic in VA Beach isn't the easiest to negotiate in the first place. Have Fun!

Posted:
    Hive Tour Titles: 0
    Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
    Suck it, Ceejay.
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • badf1shbadf1sh  84WRX Points: 72Lefty Boomers Posts: 84

On -, @Ocgolfrick said:

While I can't tell you the exact weather in late November, I can promise you it will be windy.
    As for courses in VA Beach, my favorite is The Signature at West Neck, an Arnold Palmer design.
    https://www.signatureatwestneck.com/
    If you are can go farther afield, the Bay Creek courses feature an Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus design and are always in impeccable shape.
    https://www.baycreek.net/signature-courses/

Drawback to Bay Creek is the $20 Bay Bridge Tunnel fee, and drive to get there. Traffic in VA Beach isn't the easiest to negotiate in the first place. Have Fun!

Thanks for the response. Didn't know about the wind factor and the bridge tunnel fee..will definitely factor into where ever we go

Posted:
  • rsully80rsully80  2WRX Points: 5Members Posts: 2

I'd also tip my hat in for Signature at West Neck as well! Very nice course. Also Heron Ridge Golf Club is good too. Both courses run through residential neighborhoods. If you're looking for something away from a residential area you could check out Va Beach National Golf Club. Dress warm, it will definitely be breezy.

Posted:
  • rsully80rsully80  2WRX Points: 5Members Posts: 2

I'd also tip my hat in for Signature at West Neck as well! Very nice course. Also Heron Ridge Golf Club is good too. Both courses run through residential neighborhoods. If you're looking for something away from a residential area you could check out Va Beach National Golf Club. Dress warm, it will definitely be breezy.

Posted:
  • adam2883adam2883  298WRX Points: 64Handicap: +3Members Posts: 298

Just a heads up, but Signature at West Neck is closed, it closed about a month ago. In Va. Beach in terms of decent public courses you are looking at either VB National or Heron Ridge. Not sure where in Va Beach you will be, but if you drive about 30mins to Portsmouth you can play Bide-a-Wee. As for weather, it’s Virginia so it could be 80* or 50*, but if down at the beach, as others have said plan on some wind.

Posted:
    Driver: Tour Issue 8.5* Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond w/ Diamana DF 70X
    3 Wood: 2016 Tour Issue Taylormade M2 deep face w/ Tensei Pro Blue 70TX
    Hybrid: Titleist TS2 w/ KBS Proto Hybrid 85S+
    Irons: Taylormade UDI 3 iron w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 105g 6.5
    Ping iBlades-Orange Dot - 4-PW w/ Project X 6.5  
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 RAW 52-58 w/Project X 6.0 Blackout
    Putter: Custom made Slighter Prototype
               Spider X 
               Ping Sigma Tyne 2

Short games don't matter if you hit better approach shots
  • OcgolfrickOcgolfrick  1703WRX Points: 904Members Posts: 1,703

Wow,that's amazing about The Signature, I had no idea. And apparently Bay Creek is struggling too.

Posted:
    Hive Tour Titles: 0
    Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
    Suck it, Ceejay.

Advertisement
  • drvrwdgedrvrwdge  2509WRX Points: 220Handicap: +.7Members Posts: 2,509

Yeah West Neck closed and was in horrible shape the last couple years. Bay Creek (owned by the same guy) just closed the back 9 on the Nicklaus course. Which I dont get because it was by far the better layout and seems to me would be the toughest to develop if thats what they are looking to do. Heron Ridge is in good shape as well as Virginia Bach National. Greens at national will be more firm and faster but a little more pitched up since they get more play. If you have the time I would drive 45min to an hour up to Williamsburg. There are dozens up courses in the area and and several that I would rank as best in the state for public courses. Viniterra, Royal New Kent, Fords Colony, Golden Horseshoe to name a few. If you dont want to drive that far you could also check out River Front, Bide-a-Wee or my personal favorite Sleepy Hole which has on of the best finishing holes you'll play.

Posted:
    Ping G410 LST Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* (set to 16*) Diamana BF 70TX
    Srixon U85 20* Recoil 95 F
    Srixon z585 4i/5i KBS $-taper 130 PVD 
    Srixon z785 6-PW KBS $-taper 130 PVD 
    Cleveland RTX4 50/54/58 KBS 610 125
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Steath, Stealth shaft. PP58 Black Cord
    '19 Pro V1x
    Jones Player Series Heather Brown
  • Johnny BiarritzJohnny Biarritz  536WRX Points: 107Handicap: 2Members Posts: 536

On -, @badf1sh said:

Making the trip from Canada for my kids lacrosse tournament that weekend. I've got time for one round and have never been to the area.

What kind of weather am I in for? Any course recommendation (less than $100)?

I sent you a DM

Posted:
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve  2636WRX Points: 490Handicap: 11Members Posts: 2,636

I grew up a few miles from VA Beach (Hampton). You could have fabulous fall weather or not. It's a bit of a crapshoot in late fall. Va Beach National or Heron Ridge! The Williamsburg recommedations above are good too, but they're an hour away. I really like Vinaterra.

Posted:
    • PING G SFT 10*
    • Cobra F-Max Superlite 4h, 5h, 6h
    • Cobra F-Max Superlite 7-GW
    • Cleveland CG16 56*
    • Scotty Fastback
  • Johnny BiarritzJohnny Biarritz  536WRX Points: 107Handicap: 2Members Posts: 536

On -, @sdandrea said:

I grew up a few miles from VA Beach (Hampton). You could have fabulous fall weather or not. It's a bit of a crapshoot in late fall. Va Beach National or Heron Ridge! The Williamsburg recommedations above are good too, but they're an hour away. I really like Vinaterra.

Re: weather... when I got off work on Monday it was warm enough to wear short sleeves. Wednesday it was 31 degrees walking the kids to school. Tomorrow we're supposed to get a storm that's packing 50+ mph winds. Who knows what we'll have for Monday. Friday is supposed to be 62 and sunny, we'll have to see if that holds up.

Posted:

Played River Front on Monday and it was in really good shape. Would be another of my recommendations. Little more scenic then any of the courses in VB

Posted:
    '19 Pro V1x

Advertisement
  • Buckets2Buckets2  2569WRX Points: 294Members Posts: 2,569

What's the nicest private club in VA Beach area (+/- 40ish miles)? Or are those courses nothing special relative to the publics?

Going to be there for Turkey day weekend and am looking to get out a few times weather permitting. Alternatively...Anyone know of any standing $ games Saturday or Sunday morning that might let a visitor play?

Posted:

On -, @Buckets2 said:

What's the nicest private club in VA Beach area (+/- 40ish miles)? Or are those courses nothing special relative to the publics?

Going to be there for Turkey day weekend and am looking to get out a few times weather permitting. Alternatively...Anyone know of any standing $ games Saturday or Sunday morning that might let a visitor play?

Nothing really special in the private club arena unless you can get on Bayville Golf Club, but it is private for a reason and pretty exclusive. There's James River Country Club and Williamsburg Golf Club with in that +/- 40mi range but once again they are private.. We have a standing money game on Saturdays at Virginia Beach National that anyone can play in, just need a verifiable GHIN since its a stableford game based on cap. I do believe though there is a member event the 30th.

Honestly if youre willing to drive~1hr theres really no need to try and get on a private track. Plenty of very very good golf courses especially up in the Williamsburg area. Shoot me a DM if you want more info.

Posted:
    '19 Pro V1x
  • Buckets2Buckets2  2569WRX Points: 294Members Posts: 2,569

On -, @drvrwdge said:

On -, @Buckets2 said:

Nothing really special in the private club arena unless you can get on Bayville Golf Club, but it is private for a reason and pretty exclusive. There's James River Country Club and Williamsburg Golf Club with in that +/- 40mi range but once again they are private.. We have a standing money game on Saturdays at Virginia Beach National that anyone can play in, just need a verifiable GHIN since its a stableford game based on cap. I do believe though there is a member event the 30th.

Honestly if youre willing to drive~1hr theres really no need to try and get on a private track. Plenty of very very good golf courses especially up in the Williamsburg area. Shoot me a DM if you want more info.

Just sent you a Pm. Thanks!

Posted:

On -, @Buckets2 said:

On -, @drvrwdge said:

On -, @Buckets2 said:

Just sent you a Pm. Thanks!

I just sent you one as well

Posted:

@Buckets2 and @badf1sh I sent you guys messages about playing if you are interested.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.