Direct-to-consumer or mail order

HappyGilmoresBoots

I've been doing a lot of research lately on getting some new irons for next season...basically, my entire bag is filled with pre-Y2K clubs, and I'm looking to modernize. I've come across tons of mail-order or DTC club manufacturers, from the biggie Bombtech on down to what appear to be far-East drop-shippers from Amazon (the likes of [Mazel](https://www.amazon.com/MAZEL-Titanium-Driver-Handed-Graphite/dp/B07S9J534R?ref_=ast_sto_dp "Mazel"), [Wazaki](https://www.amazon.com/WaZaki-Finish-WL-IIs-Headcover-Regular/dp/B06X3RWZRH?ref_=ast_sto_dp "Wazaki"), and [Epron](https://www.amazon.com/Titanium-Fairways-Hybrids-Headcover-Graphite/dp/B07QVF3XD3/ref=pd_day0_hl_200_6/137-1461711-9346206?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07QVF3XD3&pd_rd_r=568fe4da-2a49-4d75-8f0f-45f9812bda86&pd_rd_w=YAdN9&pd_rd_wg=mJl49&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=TC5NE05P39S3A8145K0D&psc=1&refRID=TC5NE05P39S3A8145K0D "Epron")).

But, there are other brands as well...[Forgan Of St. Andrews](https://www.forgangolf.com/ "Forgan Of St. Andrews"), which hails itself as an OG club brand (obviously bought out and modernized for today's golfers); [sub70](https://www.golfsub70.com/ "Sub70") seems to have somewhat of a cult following; but I haven't heard much at all about[ Lazrus](https://lazrusgolf.com/ " Lazrus") or [High Heat](https://www.highheatgolf.com/ "High Heat").

Have any of you WRX golfers used any of the brands listed above? If so, what were your thoughts and reactions?

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

I recently replaced my Gigagolf irons with Maltbys, and they have both been great.

72qq8pdqm8iw.jpeg

PXG 0211 12° driver with Project X Cypher shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft
Srixon Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 19° and 22° 3 and 4 hybrids w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

Maltby KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid with KuroKage Black shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid 
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

Cleveland CBX2 50° GW w/Rotex wedge flex shaft
Maltby M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
Cleveland  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

> @pgetzen said:

> +1 on Hogans

My buddy has a set of the Ft Worth that he loves. I have yet to hit them but for around $700 new, you can't go wrong for a nice set of forged sticks. I'd point out that if I went that direction, I'd pay for a fitting to work out shaft, length, and lie specs prior to purchasing blind. Worth the extra $50 or whatever it costs you.

If you are upgrading for the first time in 20 years, I would suggest you go the fitting route. That way, you could see what clubhead and shaft combinations gave you the best performance.

If you buy a new set, most shops will include the fitting in the cost of the clubs. The fitter would test you out, and you would get a set custom-fit for you, from the factory. It would cost no more than off-the-rack clubs, unless you went with expensive shafts or grips.

Also, you could approach the shop about finding you a good set of used clubs that would fit your swing. A good clubsmith could tweak the set for lie angle and grip thickness if needed. A fitting fee might be added.

The new clubs would cost a bit of money up front. In the long run, it could cost less than if you had to order a couple of different sets unseen before you found what you needed.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Ben Hogan. You can order demo clubs to try before you buy. Getting fitted and knowing your specs is the first step since they will build the clubs you buy to your requested specifications.

"Friendships born on the field of athletic strife are the real gold of competition.  Awards become corroded; friends gather no dust." -- Jesse Owens

WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: DarkSpeed X [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE 60; :cobra-small:  DarkSpeed LS [17.5*], TD Gloss 70; Iomic Evolution
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [19*], :kbs: PGH 85; Iomic Evolution
  • Irons & Wedges:  King Tour [4i & 5i], King CB [6i to Pw]; UST Mamiya Recoil 110; Iomic Evolution
  • Wedges: S23, 610; UST Mamiya Recoil 125 Prototype; Iomic Evolution
  • Putter: :cobra-small: Grandsport-35 [24]; :garsen: Quad Tour NT TPE
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small: XS [22];
  • Notables: :cobra-small: -Vessel Tour stand bag; :ShotScope: Pro LX+ with H4; :Clicgear: 3.5+ w/Alphard Club Booster V2;

If you considering the prices that some of these unknown DTC companies charge, I’d consider something NOS that are a couple of years old from one of the big OEMs. Ultimately most would recommend a fitting rather than buying something sight unseen/unhit from a DTC (balls are one thing, a full set of irons is another...)

> @storm319 said:

> If you considering the prices that some of these unknown DTC companies charge, I’d consider something NOS that are a couple of years old from one of the big OEMs. Ultimately most would recommend a fitting rather than buying something sight unseen/unhit from a DTC (balls are one thing, a full set of irons is another...)

Thanks! I was considering used, but was...er..."discouraged" from doing so by a few local guys, citing the fact that you might not know what condition the clubs are in.

What's In The Bag?

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

> @balls_deep said:

> > @pgetzen said:

> > +1 on Hogans

>

> My buddy has a set of the Ft Worth that he loves. I have yet to hit them but for around $700 new, you can't go wrong for a nice set of forged sticks. I'd point out that if I went that direction, I'd pay for a fitting to work out shaft, length, and lie specs prior to purchasing blind. Worth the extra $50 or whatever it costs you.

I ordered a set of the Ft Worth Blacks last season, and have been really happy with them. The quality is top notch, and the cost was very reasonable. (there are 10-15% off coupon codes out there, which makes that $700 even lower). I had a fitting a year ago, so I just ordered with my current specs, and they were spot on when I had them checked.

Keep in mind with Hogan, you can demo 2 clubs for I think 20 bucks, they'll ship them to you for two weeks if I recall correctly. In my case I knew a guy who played the chrome Ft Worths and I hit his, but the demo option is a great way to check stuff out ahead of ordering.

M5 w/Rogue
Cobra F6 3/4 wood w/Kuro Kage
RSI 2 driving iron w/recoil
PSI Tour 4-pw w/S300
MD3 50/54/58
Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert

> @balls_deep said:

> Sub70 makes some good clubs I hear. I’d give hogan a look as well.

I have Sub 70 clubs and they are very good and their customer service is excellent.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

> @HappyGilmoresBoots said:

> > @storm319 said:

> > If you considering the prices that some of these unknown DTC companies charge, I’d consider something NOS that are a couple of years old from one of the big OEMs. Ultimately most would recommend a fitting rather than buying something sight unseen/unhit from a DTC (balls are one thing, a full set of irons is another...)

>

>** Thanks! I was considering used, but was...er..."discouraged" from doing so by a few local guy**s, citing the fact that you might not know what condition the clubs are in.

Buy **new old stock** (NOS) as suggested by @storm319 and there would be no doubt what condition the clubs are in.

> > @storm319 said:

> > If you considering the prices that some of these unknown DTC companies charge, I’d consider something NOS that are a couple of years old from one of the big OEMs. Ultimately most would recommend a fitting rather than buying something sight unseen/unhit from a DTC (balls are one thing, a full set of irons is another...)

>

> Thanks! I was considering used, but was...er..."discouraged" from doing so by a few local guys, citing the fact that you might not know what condition the clubs are in.

Nothing wrong with buying used if the seller gives you the specs and provides pictures. Get clubs that are several years old in good condition for a fraction of the retail price. I would always go with name brand OEM equipment, wouldn't consider any of the DTCs you've mentioned, don't know anything about them but thats my preference. If you buy good OEM stuff used you'll be able to sell it again and get something back, the DTC stuff will have close to no resale value.

I agree with what many are saying here, while Hogan and Sub70 make some good stuff, the rest might be suspect. The new-to-you option seems great. I mean you're playing 20+ year old clubs, surely a few nicks and bag chatter marks don't bother you. Go for a fitting and see what works best then wait to the beginning of 2020 and pick up the same clubs for a bit cheaper. Easy peasy. Then you are getting exactly what you want, exactly what works, and you are still saving some cash. I bet even if you were fit for say, P790 with Modus 105 that there aren't a dumptruck full of P790s 2017 with Modus 105s kicking around Kijiji, Facebook, and eBay that you could snap up now in pretty good condition.

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

Thanks, guys! I think I know where I need to focus my efforts this off-season. I'm really enjoying my Ping Zings, but as mentioned in the OP, I've got those, either a Titleist 975 or a Taylor Made 300 driver (depending on my mood that day), and an old Knight putter. I've been actually encouraged by a couple of friends to get a fitting or take some lessons; my swing is miraculously consistent, given that I've golfed more this year than the previous 10 years combined, so I'm definitely considering that in an effort to next-level my game for 2020.

What's In The Bag?

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

> @Dpavs said:

> Just another thought...if I was doing a budget shop (not saying you are but if I was) I would certainly take a close look at Tour Edge EXS drivers and Cleveland Huntington Beach or Huntington Beach Soft putters. Both provide an excellent bang for the buck.

Budget is probably my top consideration at this point...or rather, value. Something I can hit consistently for as little money as possible, and will work for me for a long time.

What's In The Bag?

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

If budget is your top consideration, I'm not sure I'd bother looking at new irons if I were you. Do you still have a 3 iron, 4 iron and 5 iron in the bag? If so, swap them out for hybrids and/or utility irons. Then get a few new wedges. Re-grip your 6-PW and they'll feel like new clubs. Get a 2-3 year old Callaway, Ping, Taylor Made or Cobra driver and a 4 wood and you'll be good to go. Places like Callawaygolfpreowned, 2nd swing, and global golf are all great online places to look.

Bag 1                                                                                          Bag 2

Ping G425 Max 9* Ventus Black 7X                                         Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX

Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX                      Tour Edge Exotics CBX 20* Aldila Rip Alpha 105X

Titleist TSi3 16.5* Rogue Silver 80TX                                      Ben Hogan Ft Worth Hi 26* Recoil 110X

Titleist TS3 21* Rogue Black 95TX                                          Ben Hogan Ft Worth 32*, 38*, 44*, 50* Recoil 125X

Titleist T200 5 MCI Black 100X                                                Ben Hogan TK-15 58* Recoil Wedge Proto 125X

Titleist T100S 6-AW MCI Black 100X                                       Ping Vault Anser 2

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 56* MCI Mild 125                                        

Fourteen RM-22 60* Black Onyx S400

Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

> > @Dpavs said:

> > Just another thought...if I was doing a budget shop (not saying you are but if I was) I would certainly take a close look at Tour Edge EXS drivers and Cleveland Huntington Beach or Huntington Beach Soft putters. Both provide an excellent bang for the buck.

>

> Budget is probably my top consideration at this point...or rather, value. Something I can hit consistently for as little money as possible, and will work for me for a long time.

If value is what is important to you give Sub 70 a look. I could of spent more but just out of curiosity I tried their demo program. What I found is the irons I demoed performed just as well as anything else I was considering. So I saved a nice chunk of money that will go toward something I wasn’t planning on getting.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

You could make a bag for easily under $1000 that would be "modern" and fill it with some sleeper product (i.e. stuff that never got much attention but was actually really, really good). In fact, I do this quite regularly to make me wonder why I bother spending so much on equipment!! But hey. It's definitely well worth it to use some of that money and put it towards a fitting so you have at least a rough idea of what shaft weight, bend profile (i.e. high launch, low launch, as a simple reduction), lie angle, and grip size you need. It'll probably set you back about $150 for a basic fitting from a Golf Galaxy or PGA Superstore. While many, myself included, wouldn't exactly call this a fitting in the truest sense of the word, but it's good enough to get you on the right track and a lot of these places carry used stock now so you might be able to find fomething there that works for you at an okay price.

For me, I would build my bag as such:

Nike Vapor Driver (2015) ($100) -- https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Nike-Golf-Vapor-Speed-10-0-Driver-Graphite-Stiff-Right-Hand/383276758452?hash=item593d1335b4:g:izkAAOSwJeVd1VcW

Taylormade Jetspeed 15 and 18* ($125 for the pair) -- https://www.ebay.ca/itm/TaylorMade-Jetspeed-3-Fairway-Wood-15-Degree-Stiff-Flex-MATRIX-69-Shaft/223759331646?hash=item341918713e:g:mTQAAOSwmFVd1Y5I

Ping G25 20* hybrid ($40) -- https://www.ebay.ca/itm/PING-G25-Hybrid-20-Right-Handed-TFC189-Stiff-Lamkin-Grip/123980683540?hash=item1cddd31914:g:yCAAAOSwJU5d018w

Callaway X-Hot Pro irons 5-P (2013/2014) ($150) -- https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Callaway-X-Hot-Pro-5-PW-6-Irons-Project-X-95-Flighted-6-0-Stiff-Steel-xhot/254410074176?hash=item3b3c05a840:g:lBEAAOSwzL9dv0Lp

Get yourself some new old stock wedges (as used wedges typically have shot grooves which defeats the purpose) and budget for around $150

Set aside about $75 for new grips to get the correct size and texture and to make the grips all the same on your set.

You can save money and not get a new putter if you like it, if you don't, as mentioned above the Cleveland Huntington Beach stuff is amazing quality and a half the price of everyone else. You could also look at the Wilson Infinite stuff if you want to compare as they follow a similar mantra. Those will set you back $100-130 + tax. With the fitting fee of $150 you're under the $1000 mark for a full bag of pretty respectable golf equipment that is modern, all name brand, and is pseudo-fit to you. Again if you skip the putter you're saving even more.

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

I recommend Hogan irons as well. The quality of their irons are just as good as the other OEMs out there. I was one of the fortunate winners of the PTx Pro sets here on Golfwrx, and really enjoy them. When I'm finished with these irons, it's going to be difficult for me to buy a different set of irons. Feel is great, and the V-sole is very smooth thru the turf. I might eventually get some Ft. Worth short irons to blend in the set as well. I've hit some pre-owned sets at my local Golf Galaxy, and those are really nice as well.

Used irons aren't a bad route to go either, as long as the shaft is a good fit for you. There are plenty of older sets of irons at golf shops that are still in really good shape.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)