High Handicap Irons for Long-ish Hitter

bradleybusch92

I will be the first to say, I'm not Kyle Berkshire or anything, but I also hit a 7 iron 175 yards when I strike the club right, hit the driver at 108 mph clubhead speed. I have been playing Mizuno MP-33s for about a year now and really love them. The problem is now I'm finally to the point (just over a year into playing golf) that I've been really noticing the mishits (generally toe side and/or fat) hurting my score. I think the blades have done nothing but help me improve my game by helping me learn how to strike better overall, but I've been shopping around for a newer set of irons that are maybe more forgiving. I don't necessarily want a new set, but I would like a good newer set. They need to have somewhat traditional lofts, because if I can hit the 7 iron in the MP-33 175 at 36 degrees, I don't need a 200 yard 7 iron. In my bag right now I have Driver, 3w, 52, 2i (use it off the tee maybe once a round), 4i (I just use it for punches only, don't really need it), 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW, and play a 52 and a 56 wedge.

I realize that most newer sets have a 46 degree pitching wedge at the weakest, which I think is fine. I just don't want a super strong set of clubs like most GI irons are. I'm not sure I'm good enough to really need a "player's" iron, but I also realize I don't need a 75 yard gap on the bottom end of my bag or play 6 wedges. Some irons I have looked at are like the Titleist T100, Srixon Z785/Z585, Hogan PTx Pro, Mizuno JPX Forged/Tour. Do you guys have any recommendations for a guy who shoots a 105 with blades but feels like if he could get some forgiveness on his mishits drop that to an easy 98? I'm not very good at golf but I hit the ball further than the average old guy who plays GI irons. This is a tough spot to be in with the current market. Haha. Thanks in advance!

Have you tried the AP3/T200's? A used set of Gen 1 or Gen 2 0311T's from PXG would give you the head profile you are used to but a lot of performance. The $159/club price for Gen 2's new right now has probably killed the value on the used market. The Apex CF19's from Callaway could be really good for you too.

GAMER SETUP:

Callaway AiSmoke TD 8* @ 7* | Tour AD HD 7s 

Callaway AiSmoke TD 3W | Denali Black 6.0 70g

TaylorMade SIM Ti 5W | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway Apex Black 4-P | Nippon Modus 120 S +1"

Titleist 48* @ 49* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 54* @ 55* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 58* @ 59* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | 36" - 71* - 3.5*

I will add those to my list of consideration for sure. The AP3s were a thought, just will basically have to disregard the number on the bottom and use a club shorter than normal, which I can do. I wondered if that was something I just needed to expect to have to do or if I could hope for a weaker more accurately labeled set. Same with the Callaways, I like those as well. The PXG's do look really sweet, never really considered anything from them would be in my price range. Great suggestions

You can always have them bent 1 or 2 degrees weak. If ordering new, that'll be an easy option.

GAMER SETUP:

Callaway AiSmoke TD 8* @ 7* | Tour AD HD 7s 

Callaway AiSmoke TD 3W | Denali Black 6.0 70g

TaylorMade SIM Ti 5W | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway Apex Black 4-P | Nippon Modus 120 S +1"

Titleist 48* @ 49* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 54* @ 55* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 58* @ 59* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | 36" - 71* - 3.5*

I'm going to be edging more on the 2-3 years old at the newest iron category, or at the newest the just-went-out-of-production-sale irons. The Srixon 785/585 combo set looks really nice to me without hitting them, and they will foreseeably be going on sale soon. Will add the Pings to my short list though. I like the way those look.

Would you be willing to dabble in older irons? Wilson V6 were and are a SOLID set of irons if you can get them to your spec and with your shaft. Srixons 7 series are good but I think hideous. Cobra CB set and even a flow set with blades is a good look as well.

Just remember, you can buy GI / CBs and mess with the lofts. Get them bent.

Yes older irons as long as I can get a set in nice shape are totally on the table. I recently watched a Rick Shiels video on those V6 irons, they aren't great looking but I can get over that if I hit them well. I have had the Srixon 7 series in mind for a while, I actually like the way those look a lot. Will need to look more into some Cobras.

About bending them to mess with the lofts, I am totally up for that as well, just worries me that the bounce may get too excessive? How much is a normal allowance to bend without getting the bounce way out in left field?

JPX forged or Ping i210 would be a good place to start in my opinion. Having played both I would lean more to the i210 based on what you are looking for.

• Callaway Epic Max Mitsubishi MMT 60X
  • Callaway Epic Max  3W 14.5* Mitsubishi MMT 70X
  • Ping G410 Hybrid 19* Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX
  • Mizuno HMB 4 iron, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 
  • Mizuno MMC 5-PW, KBS $-Taper 130x
  • Titleist Vokey SM7 52F, Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56, and Vokey SM8 60M
  • Odyssey White OG 7s

I think you just want a standard cavity back iron... PING makes the iconic one, but they hold their used prices well and aren't always easy to get in the shaft you want. That would probably be the best option, but if you are on a budget I'd suggest the Sub70 irons... They occasionally have some used sets for sale, but at $100 a club, it's not a bad investment. The 639 CBs are great... Can get them built to your specs and don't cost an arm and a leg... then if you decide you want to start working some blades in, you can order the MBs and combo the set out.

Other than that, I'd just make sure you are playing a shaft that you like and get it in the right flex... Mizuno shaft optimizer is always a fun toy!

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

BLUF, unless you’re bending lofts crazy amounts, bounce shouldn’t be noticeably impacted.

I am not a club smith but I thought the rule of thumb was that for every degree you add to loft then you add a degree to bounce.

I’ve seen some crazy bend angles to clubs but, most stores won’t advise any more than 2° in each direction from stock loft because you can just ruin the club.

I gotta think there is a Malty iron design that would be excellent and affordable. Particularly the PTM, STi2, or the TS-2. Maltby specializes in helping out toe hitters. All can be bent weaker too.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

If you really want to get down from 105 to an easy 98 invest in some lessons instead of a new set of irons - might take you even farther

TaylorMade M5 10.5° /  Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60 S
Cobra King Speedzone 18.5@17° / Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70 S
TaylorMade  M3 3/19° Rescue/ Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 80H S
Callaway X Forged Utility 21°@22° /  TT Elevate 95 S

Honma T//World Rose Proto MB 5-10 / N.S. Pro Modus3 120TX
Edison 51° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 56° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T22 60° / DG Tour Issue S400
L.A.B. B.2 Brass/ BGT Stability Tour Black
Maxfli Tour X

Apex Pros and JPX Forged would be my first look. Srixon makes some great feeling irons too, but they can spin on the low side for some guys and if you're looking for consistency you really do not want that.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

If you want to go a little older and save a bit of cash MP-54's are worth a look. Muscle back short irons, small cavity long irons. Slightly thicker top line and longer blade length. Used a full set for 2 years and didn't have any complaints. I'm currently playing mp-29's with a mp-54 4 iron at the top of the set, toe strikes seem to be a lot more forgiving

Sub70 make some amazing clubs.

Hogan. Maltby. Wilson-Staff.

There's a lot of choices out there. Find something that looks good to you, you won't know if you want to keep them until you try them out.

Titleist TSR2 9* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

Callaway Apex '19 4-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

I’m newer to playing a 2019 Apex/Pro combo set, and really like it.

I’m in your neighborhood for scoring, but don’t hit it as far. Felt like I lost some distance switching to the Apex Pros initially, but I was coming from a stronger lofted set, and frankly my swing has sucked for six weeks or so. Getting it back a little and when I pure the Pros, they feel amazing. Distance is fine too, comparable to the stronger lofted old set. Definitely worth a look.

Not sure I’ll stick with my set as currently composed (5 Apex, 6-PW Pros), and I want to swing the Ping 210s, JPX919s (Forged or Tour Combo of some sort), Srixon 765s. But the Apexes are a lot of fun when you’re swinging well, and definitely let you know when you’re not.

@wakit300 has your best Step 1: "If you really want to get down from 105 to an easy 98 invest in some lessons instead of a new set of irons - might take you even farther ?"
Lots of toe misses and fat shots indicate a couple of possible problems: poor weight shift and too much right hand, or...
club lie angle is too flat, and/or shaft might be a little too short.
So, a combination of lessons followed by a club fitting would be your best bet. The fitting can give you information to guide your club choices for the next couple of years. A fitting and new clubs may be more expensive up front. But, save you time and money in the long run rather than trying this set and that set hit and miss, hoping you get lucky.
Advice from a golf instructor I used to work with: Get clubs for the swing you have today, not the swing you hope to have next year.
Also... loss of distance with new irons may only be momentary. With more square hits from a stabilized swing and clubs that fit you, you'll bet better power transfer on shots; this increases distance.
  • Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I agree with everything you're saying there. The thing I'm afraid of though is too much distance with new clubs, not less. Haha. Lessons are in my plans. Just thought it might be good going into them to have a better fitted set of clubs. I have access to a simulator near me and with an amount of hours logged watching TXG videos that I'm not proud to admit, I feel pretty confident in my ability to decipher the numbers on the simulator. I'd love to get fitted for a new set sometime, but until I get a more consistent game myself, I'm not going to spend the money on my current swing to do that as you said, I'd much rather get fitted for the better golfer I am at the time that comes.