GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

How you bring your clubs internationally

Eddie1114 ·  
Eddie1114Eddie1114 Members  12WRX Points: 12Posts: 12 Bunkers

HI folks,

Wondering how do you usually use to protect your golf clubs and bag?

What travel case/bag you prefer?

Posted:

Comments

• Precis1onPrecis1on Members  156WRX Points: 74Posts: 156 Fairways

Any Club Glove variant that fits your bag + stiff arm.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Eddie1114Eddie1114 Members  12WRX Points: 12Posts: 12 Bunkers

Yeah I guess consider the amount we spent on the clubs make sense to invest into the travel bag instead of some amazon cheap one.

Posted:

I’ve had my Club Glove since college, probably over 12-13 years ago. Only issue is one ripped seam on the backside of the bag where I’m guessing took a lot of the abuse when the bag gets dragged or hits the ground, but I sewed them back together with some tough fishing thread. The ballistic nylon has never torn. I’ve never had a broken club.

Posted:

Did you get the one with wheels or without?

I am also thinking those hard case one but seems like club glove really got nice reviews.

Posted:

With wheels.

Only big thing with hard cases is size and weight for travel. My club glove fully packed comes to 40-45 lbs depending on how much clothes and balls I have in there. In the right car, the club glove can fit in the trunk without dropping a seat while a hard case will probably have some issues. On the other hand, you could literally take a knife to a hard case and it would probably deflect it...

Posted:

Oh yeah that's another concern of hard cases, easily get overweight without really much more protection.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members  701WRX Points: 413Posts: 701 Golden Tee

Another thing with hard cases is that they can get 'racked' from impact damage. I.e. twisted so the hard shell halves don't fit together so well and the clasps need to be forcibly aligned so they'll close.

So, needless to say, I'm also a big fan of Club Glove bags with a rigid rod-like thing to give it support. The official Stiff Arms work well for most, but a few of us have actually had them bend. So, I now use an old, cut-down hockey stick with tennis balls at both ends. That will never get damaged.

Finally, I think soft bags are just easier to deal with when traveling in vehicles. Depends on the vehicles of course. If you have a big van, then it doesn't matter so much.

Posted:
  • golfunderpar18golfunderpar18 Members  492WRX Points: 220Posts: 492 Greens

Hard cases —SKB are the gold standard— provide ultimate protection. Absolutely no comparison. I’ve had soft cases before and shafts can get snapped easily. I had the legs on my stand carry bag broken And when that happened I went to an skb. Airlines have gone thru mine at airport check in before to confirm I haven’t packed non golf stuff inside before. Shouldn’t matter as long as its under 50lb but it can get really close with a bag, 14 clubs, balls and a few pairs of shoes. Some airlines state on their website that you cannot pack non Golf stuff inside. Make sure you review what you can/cannot pack and check the weight max. The potential issue is what your transportation will be at your destination. Both times I’ve been on golf trips in Scotland, Ireland or wales I’ve had tour bus, van or trailers with driver as our transportation so no issue For me with the hard case. I’ve had customs break thru my skb lock before so make sure whatever You take you do not lock it. They leave a nice sorry note but your case lock will never be Functionable again unless you get it fixed.

short answer.....skb hard case if you Go hard case. It’s worth the Premium price. You can often find them lightly used on many buy/sell sites. You won’t regret the peace of mind protecting your Expensive club investment. Rental cars in the UK are small so if you are renting keep that in mind as that will be a challenge.

Posted:
  • 68bronco68bronco Members  80WRX Points: 62Posts: 80 Fairways

Club Glove with wheels and the protection device thingy they sell at Dick’s. I’ve used it while traveling on international trips a handful of times. It is also handy to slide a 1/5 of your favorite liquor in the bag for a nice pour once you arrive at the hotel.

Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21788WRX Points: 5,777Posts: 21,788 ClubWRX

Club Glove Collegiate with stiff arms or equivalent (found one someone else makes I like better, but can't remember the brand) - no issues. Both times to Scotland had to take them - for more than one bag the hard cases would have required a much larger level of vehicle just to accommodate the cases.

I have an SKB and it's a tank, took it to Cali once, but dealing with it proved to be a hassle, IMO, so I bought the Club Gloves.

Posted:
  • golfunderpar18golfunderpar18 Members  492WRX Points: 220Posts: 492 Greens

If you want to ensure Your clubs and bag arrive Undamaged get an skb (I own 3). Have you watched airline baggage staff toss luggage? You want you $3000 in clubs tossed without proper protection ? I doubt it. You need to consider your transportation at the destination though as another key factor. I’ve never had an issue with my skb traveling in North America or Europe. A standard full size car rental likely cannot fit an skb in the trunk without folding the seats down.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • FaReal87FaReal87 MAMembers  706WRX Points: 286Posts: 706 Golden Tee

I would recommend a soft case. In the past, I’ve traveled with a relatively cheap soft case and have had no issues. I’ll remove the heads off the woods/pack them in headcovers just in case. They are extremely flexible once you reach your destination as well.

recently upgraded to a club glove bag during one of the Linksoul 50% sales. Don’t intend on having to buy another one for a long time.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 10.5
    Callaway Rogue 3-wood
    Vapor Pro Combo 4-PW
    Vokey RAW SM5 52F,56S, SM7 60K.12
    TaylorMade Spider (black)
  • TerpFangolferTerpFangolfer Members  751WRX Points: 164Handicap: 6.2Posts: 751 Golden Tee

Yep, my clubs have been around the world with me - Asia, Europe, South America (more than 15 Intl trips)...I use Club Glove (w/ wheels) and remove all the heads from all my woods/hybrids.

Never had an issue (knock on wood!)

Posted:
    TM R1
    TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
    Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
    Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
    Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
    Ping TR 1966 Anser2
  • davep043davep043 Members  5315WRX Points: 2,493Handicap: 6.3Posts: 5,315 Titanium Tees

Club Glove (with wheels, I didn't know they sold a case without them), Stiff arm, remove the driver head and pack separately. Never had a problem.

Posted:

Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

• FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 MOMembers  886WRX Points: 154Handicap: 4.3Posts: 886 Golden Tee

Seems to be some opinions to the contrary... but I love my hard case. I’ve had it for probably close to 15 years now and it has yet to let me down—and that’s with using it many many times (probably 50+). My bag with all the gear I need (balls and all) never climbs higher than the allotted weight and I usually have my shoes in the case as well. It can be a bit hard to maneuver/fit into cars, however.

Posted:
    GO DAWGS

While blindly accepting what the touring pros use as gospel can lead to sub-optimal equipment choices at times, I think the fact that the vast majority of those who depend on their clubs to make a paycheck use soft cases is a decent indicator of how well they work.

I also agree with removing any removable heads as an extra measure of protection.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • davep043davep043 Members  5315WRX Points: 2,493Handicap: 6.3Posts: 5,315 Titanium Tees

To be fair, a great many of those guys are flying small charters, and I imagine that their baggage is treated with much more care than those of us flying commercial. Still, I'm happy with my Club Glove.

Posted:

Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

Very true, but I think this holds true even in the lower pro and collegiate ranks.

Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21788WRX Points: 5,777Posts: 21,788 ClubWRX

And to expand on my earlier post, like @davep043, we remove the heads that are removable and I also put my irons in upside down, only club I worry about because of the way it sits is my putter.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.