Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

how many majors have been won with Ping irons?

2»

Comments

• dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    skullycapone wrote on Apr 12 2009, 08:59 AM:
    The title says irons, not putters, PING irons are not in the same league as other club makers, it takes a lucky hot streak for a pro using ping to even get up in the top 10.

Putters are nice though

I hope you are being sarcastic, if not that might be the most ignorant statement I have every read in my life, oh wait, Cabrerra just won the Masters, those s57's must suck!
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • mat562mat562 My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly. Members Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It's merely a lucky hot streak on Cabrera's part.

As it was at Oakmont.
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    mat562 wrote on Apr 12 2009, 06:26 PM:
    It's merely a lucky hot streak on Cabrera's part.

As it was at Oakmont.

Hmmm.... the only explanation is that they are Miura forged, fake Pings with the S57 sticker on the back, everyone knows those crappy cast clubs are imposible to hit straight due to all the defects in the manufacturing process.
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • Skydiver22Skydiver22 Members Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 12, 2009 #35
    Here is Tigers US Am PING putter, also the vault has at least 15 clubs other than the putter... wedges that have played a prominent part in winning the title. Let me also add that any player playing a PING club is playing the same club that you and I are able to purchase. None of the players playing other products play off the rack type clubs they get special built forged copies of the inferior set sold to the public. NOT at PING, when a pro get fitted, the same as you and I at their facility. They get it custom built to the fitting, same as you and I. I have a set of S58 and S57 irons and I love both of them more than the Mizzy's I played for years.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    PING G410 plus   9* Tensei  Orange 60 gram X flex
    PING G410 LST  14.5 Tensei Orange 80 gram X flex
    PING G410 19* Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex
    PING iBlades 4-PW w/ ZZ65 shafts w/cushin
    PING Forged 49*/53*/58* DG 105 (S300)
    PING Vault 2.0 Slate Craz-e H
    or 
    PING Sigma 2 Wolverine
  • Robert BrownRobert Brown Members Posts: 1,009
    edited Apr 12, 2009 #36
    Wow...how about those non forged irons... If he would have had something other than those cast sticks, he would have won by 5 shots! By the way, what was Kenny Perry hitting? Blades?! :-)
  • Skydiver22Skydiver22 Members Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Robert Brown wrote on Apr 12 2009, 04:50 PM:
    Wow...how about those non forged irons... If he would have had something other than those cast sticks, he would have won by 5 shots! By the way, what was Kenny Perry hitting? Blades?! :-)

Please do not believe that Kenny Perry plays the same set of TM's that you can buy off the rack. TM clubs and irons make special sets for their pros... same goes for Tiggers VR's not the same. PING on the other hand.... same, same, same.
    PING G410 plus   9* Tensei  Orange 60 gram X flex
    PING G410 LST  14.5 Tensei Orange 80 gram X flex
    PING G410 19* Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex
    PING iBlades 4-PW w/ ZZ65 shafts w/cushin
    PING Forged 49*/53*/58* DG 105 (S300)
    PING Vault 2.0 Slate Craz-e H
    or 
    PING Sigma 2 Wolverine
  • the g-trainthe g-train Members Posts: 4
    sandy wrote:

skullycapone wrote on Apr 12 2009, 09:59 AM:
    The title says irons, not putters, PING irons are not in the same league as other club makers, it takes a lucky hot streak for a pro using ping to even get up in the top 10.

Putters are nice though

You have some knowledge about Ping's inferiority as far as irons? Seems like you like to make definite (unsupportable) statements about various manufacturers. Your beloved Tiger won several tournaments with Ping irons as an amateur, so I guess he ran into a lucky hot streak. Certainly people like Lorena, Jiminez, Westwood, Cabrerra, Calc have easily been in the top 10 many times in their career (p.s. a win is considered a top 10 finish). Probably one of the dumbest statements I've read here in a long long time.

Those great Nike clubs made a great sound today rattling off a tree on 18 for Tiger. Maybe he could have done better with Pings and a lucky hot streak. He could have avoided that spectacular finish with those VRs.

it would be interesting to know what the figures really are,when i first started playing i didnt watch alot on tv,and just allways thought ping were used by heaps of pros.a ping putter back then in australia was about the best you could get by far i reckon and their clubs were the most expensive,but looking bk maybe that wasnt the case,the old irons that you see today look shocking

wilson, daiwa, top flite, cobra,maxfli were all pretty popular and titliests were up with the pings,callaway were just starting to come into it and they were as $$$ as anything going ,now they are very affordable and ping are still more expensive,but have a bit of a rep as being starter clubs,or clubs for older people or just ugly but the most forgiving and easy to use clubs,but the remain so $$$ while callys and taylormade seem to have way more pros using their gear??,lee westwood seems to use all ping and he was #1 a yr ago,the one ping putter i owned was nothing special and i now have an odyssey,but am considering trading my x22s for the g20s just because their ease of play ,and that iv allways wanted to use them and find out for myself,i just have to get past the looks,but i think i will and its a very interesting topic..how good are they and the only way to answer that is to bag them i think
  • atlanta golferatlanta golfer Members Posts: 3,598
    I think a more interesting question might be, how many club championships have been won with ping irons ...
  • PlayerbbPlayerbb Has hoofer will travel. Members Posts: 93 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone mentioned Louie at the British and Kaymer's Ping putter at the PGA.
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Playerbb wrote:

Has anyone mentioned Louie at the British and Kaymer's Ping putter at the PGA.

Most posts in the thread were from 2009, before Louis won the Open Champ. But we can add him to the list now.
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • mcadetmcadet Members Posts: 10
    what about British open champ 2010 Louis Oosthuizen (South Africa? Ping staffer?
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    mcadet wrote:

what about British open champ 2010 Louis Oosthuizen (South Africa? Ping staffer?

Duly noted, but to be fair, the thread is from 2009 and has only been recently resurrected.
    shovel-ier shovels
    a hideous grip
  • Bob57Bob57 Members Posts: 2,933
    The title said ping irons, not putters, not woods, not wedges, not hybrids.... Less than 8 majors including the LPGA
  • volcanoboy74volcanoboy74 ClubWRX Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
    Louie Oosthusein are how ever you spell it. He won the British as a Ping staffer. Seve won a couple of majors with a ping putter and the same for Sir Faldo.
  • GoPokes44GoPokes44 Members Posts: 86
    edited Dec 15, 2011 #46
    Mahan and Westwood will both win majors before their careers are over. I don't think it's a matter of PING irons being particularly weak, I think that it's only recently that PING has been willing to spend the extra $ to keep their top pros. They've been making great clubs for years. Angel and Louis have proven they are elite irons.
    GoPokes44 wrote:

Mahan and Westwood will both win majors before their careers are over. I don't think it's a matter of PING irons being particularly weak, I think that it's only recently that PING has been willing to spend the extra $ to keep their top pros. They've been making great clubs for years. Angel and Louis have proven they are elite irons.

I agree.

I'll also add that it matters NOT to me how many majors are won by a certain manufacturer, or how many pros play their equipment. I play what's right for me, and right now that's PING. That may change in the future, and that's okay too.

In my opinion, the only people who base their purchases on the pros are posers, no offense.
    shovel-ier shovels
    a hideous grip
  • james119james119 Members Posts: 3

Westwood won a lot of tournaments with Ping Zing 2 irons

• TheShaunTheShaun Members Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@GoPokes44 said:

this did not age well

• DE-ILLINIDE-ILLINI Members Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 10, 2019 1:43am #50

😂

Driver: Taylormade M3
    3W: Ping G400
    3H & 4H: Cobra Baffler
    5 - SW: Ping G25
    58*: Cleveland CBX
    Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser
  • jimb6golfjimb6golf Members Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Bubba won the Masters twice using Ping clubs and is likely one of their bigger pros too.

• Night trainNight train Members Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 10, 2019 8:27am #52

Bubba and Louie both have done alright with Pings..............I wouldn't bet against Tony Finau landing another major for them someday!

• OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Night train said:
    Bubba and Louie both have done alright with Pings..............I wouldn't bet against Tony Finau landing another major for them someday!

I'd expect Viktor Hovland to compete for majors.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • DON SVODON SVO Hacker in progress... Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Holy Zombie thread, Batman!

A bag of left-handed junk.
    Driver: 2016 Taylormade M2 Kai'li 70x
    3W: TM R11 15* Kai'li 80x
    2H: Adams Super XTD Project X blue 6.5
    3H: Adams Super XTD Aldila Proto 95x
    4-PW: Mizuno MP-32 satin PX 6.5
    59, 56, 53: Callaway Mack Daddy, PX 6.0
    Cameron Newport 1.5
  • ExTrumpetExTrumpet Members Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Taylormade R7 425 TP, Rombax S
    Titleist 904F, Aldila NV85-S
    Ping G20 17* Hybrid, S
    Ping K15 3 Hybrid, TTLite S
    Ping K15 4 Hybrid, TTLite S
    Ping S59 6-W, ZZ65 S
    Ping Tour-S Rustique 50, 54
    Taylormade Hi Toe 58
    Ping Anser 4 BeCu
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob57 said:
    The title said ping irons, not putters, not woods, not wedges, not hybrids.... Less than 8 majors including the LPGA

In Gee Chun won two majors with Ping irons in her bag, the '15 USWO, and the '16 Evian. Hinako Shibuno won the WBO this season. Angela Stanford won the '18 Evian. Brooke Henderson won the '16 KPMG. Lorena Ochoa won the '07 WBO, and the '08 Kraft Nabisco (ANA). Pernilla Lindberg won the '18 ANA. Pat Hurst won the '88 Kraft Nabisco. Sherri Steinhauer won the WBO in '06, the du Maurier Classic in '92. . Catriona Matthew won the '09 WBO, but I'm not sure if she was playing PING back then.

'Sure seems more than seven top me.

• 3whacker3whacker Members Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

Billy Mayfair...US Amateur

• golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

A few mentioned Calc and his Open Championship win. Wasn’t he on Titleist at the time? Or was that just a ball, shoe and glove deal?

• grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@golfandfishing said:
    A few mentioned Calc and his Open Championship win. Wasn’t he on Titleist at the time? Or was that just a ball, shoe and glove deal?

Calc won his Open Championship with Ping Eye2 irons.

• LanglandsLanglands ScotlandMembers Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@grm24 said:

@golfandfishing said:

Calc won his Open Championship with Ping Eye2 irons.

BeCu irons at that.

Callaway XR 10.5°
    Taylor Made M6 3W 16°
    Adams Tight Lies 2 5W 19°
    Callaway 3h 20°
    Ping Eye2 BeCu 4 iron
    Ping G20 5-SW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 60°
    Ping Darby

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji