Callaway RAZR X Tour Irons Bounce Specs

*EDITED for Corrected Bounce Numbers*

EDIT
The original text remains below, however the bounce numbers given back in January turned out to be incorrect, and when I saw this thread revived, I thought I should edit the thread to include the correct bounce numbers. Here they are: RAZR X Tour Irons bounce

Iron/Bounce
3 - 8.0
4 - 8.3
5 - 8.5
6 - 8.8
7 - 9.0
8 - 9.5
9 - 10.5
P - 11.5
A - 12.0

Original text follows below.

Curious how the RAZR X Tours will play. The bounce begins at 8 for the 3 iron. That's relatively high compared to, for example, the Diablo Forged, which start at 1 and increase 1 bounce point for each progressive iron. Same thing for the X Forged (and RAZR X Forged, for that matter).

The bounce seems comparable to the bounce found in the formentioned irons once you get to the 7 or 8 iron. But for the 3,4,5 and 6, you're looking at a bounce 3 to 7 degrees higher for any given iron

The bounce specs are reproduced below (you can also see them here: http://www.callawaygolf.com/Global/en-AU/Products/Clubs/Irons/RAZRXTourIrons/Specifications.html).

Thoughts why they went high (higher) bounce in the long irons moving into the mid? Even the regular RAZR's are similarly high bounce.

Also pretty unusual is the stock shaft has a high kick profile. I don't recall Callaway ever going that route with a stock shaft before.

I'm pretty excited to hit both the X Tour and X Forged, and very possibly might wind up with both sets.

Iron/Bounce
3 - 8.0
4 - 8.3
5 - 8.5
6 - 8.8
7 - 9.0
8 - 9.5
9 - 10.5
P - 11.5
A - 12.0

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's prob got something to do with the razor technology. That extra piece on the cavity sole.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b]Callaway Rogue Sub-Zero 9°[/b] Graphite Design Tour AD-GP 6s[/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b]Callaway Rogue 3W-15°[/b] Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7s[/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b]Callaway Rogue 3H-19°[/b] Graphite Design Tour AD-HY 85s[/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b]Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi 4 & 5 [/b]KBS C-Taper Lite S[/font]
[left][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][background=transparent][b]Mizuno MP18 MMC 6-PW [/b]KBS C-Taper Lite S[/background][/font][/left]
[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b]Vokey Wedgeworks Custom SM7 RAW 50[/b][/font][background=transparent]° [/background][b]54° 58° [/b][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Project X[/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b]Scotty Cameron Custom [/b]009 Masterful [/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b]Taylormade TP5X[/b][/font]

[quote name='tbomb' timestamp='1293976430' post='2870578']
WOW!

That confirms I will never touch these clubs! LOL
[/quote]
:cheesy:

[indent=2]Nike Vr Tour 8.5 w/ 7.2 TS Motore Speeder[/indent]
[indent=2]Nike Vr LTD 15* w/ 103 Diaman Blueboard[/indent]
[indent=2]Nike SQ 19* w/ 103 Diamana Blueboard[/indent]
[indent=2]Miura Baby Blades 3-PW w/ TI DG X1's[/indent]
[indent=2]Fourteen RM 52* & 56* w/ TI DG S4's[/indent]
[indent=2]Nike Method 001[/indent]

[quote name='MG 1977' timestamp='1293970055' post='2870536']
Roger Cleveland loves bounce!
[/quote]

haha yes ...

but thankfully the clubs he's directly associated with in the 2011 line up, especially regarding the new groove technology for the particular irons, are the razr x forged ...

which have traditional bounce numbers ... http://www.callawaygolf.com/Global/en-AU/Products/Clubs/Irons/RAZRXForgedIrons/Specifications.html

[quote name='sallyboy7153' timestamp='1293992062' post='2870918']
It's prob got something to do with the razor technology. That extra piece on the cavity sole.
[/quote]

you're on to something yes ... it does have to do with the razr design in the regular and tour models ... and conversely, which is absent on the forged model ...

i'm curious before callaway explains it near release though what people think, or more exactly, why people think the bounce begins so high comparatively speaking ...

i can't recall any iron company going with that much bounce in each iron, long and middle irons especially ...

but you're right it does have to do with the sole .. and contrary to what's implied in a few other poster's comments here ... these irons (in particular the tour version), have no problem clipping the ball precisely off tight lies ...

Also says the X-18 irons had no bounce ... 3-iron, 7-iron, PW, SW all 0° bounce. :ok:

While the numbers are interesting, none of that matters on the grass. Always best to evaluate irons real world.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

[quote name='Asleep' timestamp='1294000682' post='2871198']
Also says the X-18 irons had no bounce ... 3-iron, 7-iron, PW, SW all 0° bounce. :ok:

While the numbers are interesting, none of that matters on the grass. Always best to evaluate irons real world.
[/quote]

agree with your latter comment ... of course ...

but just an fyi ...
x18's weren't 0 bounce irons ... lol ...
i know why you think that and where your information comes from but that's just 100% error ...

sometimes when the old irons move to the classic category they just don't even include some certain specs (in this case the bounce) ... but when the x18s came out they showed bounce specs and had traditional to low bounce numbers for each iron ...

here they are ...
bounce/(irons)

1,1,2,2,3,4,5,7,11,15/ (3,4,5,6,7,8,9,P,A,S)...

[quote name='FATC1TY' timestamp='1294005768' post='2871361']
Do you think they consider more bounce as more forgiving??

Assuming that people not will play in wet lush fairways, but that majority of players get steep, and the bounce would help some, more or less?

Just curious.
[/quote]

not a fan of maltby ... but here's a quote from him that begins to address your question ...

[i]"When a golf course has very tight lies, the first thing many clubfitters do is recommend less bounce so the golfer can “get down after the ball”.

This is great if you are a tour pro who can work magic with a wedge because they hit a zillion shots a day practicing.

It is just the opposite for average golfers. The tighter the lie, the more the tendency to hit the ball fat. And, as soon as we hit a few fat we start hitting a few thin to compensate.

What we need is more “effective bounce” so that we have less margin for error in digging the leading edge into the ground. So now we do not need to hit the perfect “nip” shot but rather we can hit just behind the ball to a little more back behind the ball and the sole will not dig, but rather slide under the ball and loft it onto the green.

It’s simply more forgiving."

In general, a wedge with a higher effective bounce is much more forgiving for most players. Effective bounce takes into account..... sole width, sole grind, and the actual bounce angle itself."[/i]

[/quote]

How true, I recalled when I mentioned about Jaws' wedges stated bounce that it's effective bounce is much lower, lot of people here poo-pah'ed it. Geez.

Do everyone a favor, whomever gets to try it out in real world then let us know how it goes, and not to form your misleading opinions by the numbers or pictures. I have seen those clubs in person and they do look better than in pictures.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

[quote name='br61' timestamp='1294006637' post='2871396']
[/quote]

How true, I recalled when I mentioned about Jaws' wedges stated bounce that it's effective bounce is much lower, lot of people here poo-pah'ed it. Geez.

Do everyone a favor, whomever gets to try it out in real world then let us know how it goes, and not to form your misleading opinions by the numbers or pictures. I have seen those clubs in person and they do look better than in pictures.
[/quote]

everyone's going to have their opinions, whatever it's based on ... you have to allow for all kinds ... and it makes for some fine entertainment at times ...

some of the people who seem to have already formed opinions based on the bounce numbers alone and in doing have decided to not try these will miss out on some fine irons indeed ... their loss ... these irons have magic grinds ... :D

but my question bears repeating ... as this seems to have gotten off track ...

i'm curious why people think the bounce numbers are as they are ... only one person has really touched on it so far ...

Best irons I have played are the X forged 09's. Also have high bounce. I play in Bend OR (high desert) firm fast fairways and love em.

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

[quote name='Wardonation' timestamp='1294008316' post='2871438']
Best irons I have played are the X forged 09's. Also have high bounce. I play in Bend OR (high desert) firm fast fairways and love em.
[/quote]

new razr x forged have nearly identical overall specs, and the same bounce specs as your forged 09s ... new groove technology in the razr x forged is what will really set them apart from all other irons this year ... really one of a kind grooves ... little bit of information on them is already out ...

[quote name='vicar' timestamp='1294007900' post='2871424']
[quote name='br61' timestamp='1294006637' post='2871396']
[/quote]

[/quote]

everyone's going to have their opinions, whatever it's based on ... you have to allow for all kinds ... and it makes for some fine entertainment at times ...

some of the people who seem to have already formed opinions based on the bounce numbers alone and in doing have decided to not try these will miss out on some fine irons indeed ... their loss ... these irons have magic grinds ... :D

but my question bears repeating ... as this seems to have gotten off track ...

i'm curious why people think the bounce numbers are as they are ... only one person has really touched on it so far ...
[/quote]
A couple of months ago, I got to hold the seven iron from the Razr Tour set. The back side of the sole seems configured to narrow the area that makes contact with the turf. I suspect the bounce is to keep down the likelihood of diggers. I was hoping for a bit of radius or a grind on the leading edge like the Diablo Forged. If the bounce makes up for the lack of an edge grind, my problem is solved. I'm curious to see how they go through the dirt and expect to demo them in the spring.

Epic Max LS 10.5

Steelhead XR 3-Heaven-9Ws

0211 5-GW

Glide 2.0 WS 54

Rally 58

Huntington Beach Soft Premier 8

Vero X1

[quote name='ubergoober' timestamp='1294031447' post='2872256']A couple of months ago, I got to hold the seven iron from the Razr Tour set. The back side of the sole seems configured to narrow the area that makes contact with the turf. I suspect the bounce is to keep down the likelihood of diggers. I was hoping for a bit of radius or a grind on the leading edge like the Diablo Forged. If the bounce makes up for the lack of an edge grind, my problem is solved. I'm curious to see how they go through the dirt and expect to demo them in the spring.
[/quote]

nice observation uber. actually the razr x tours do have some grind (comparable in my opinion) in front (lead edge), though not as much as the df, right. unless you were talking radius along entire front to back, in which case the df seems to have more, but is also a narrower sole (like the forged x, and razr x forged coming out).

sounds like you know your grinds ... here's an interesting article that discusses the relationship between sole widths, bounce, radius, and lead edge if you're interested ...

kinda technical but a short read that illustrates (generally) how the identical (high for example) bounce in different width soles, results in different lead edge heights ...

and therein lies the gist of the razr x and razr x tour bounce specs ...

here's the read if you're interested ... http://blog.hirekogolf.com/2007/10/understanding-golf-club-bounce-angle/

kinda technical but a short read that illustrates (generally) how the identical (high for example) bounce in different width soles, results in different lead edge heights ...

and therein lies the gist of the razr x and razr x tour bounce specs ...

here's the read if you're interested ... http://blog.hirekogolf.com/2007/10/understanding-golf-club-bounce-angle/

Thanks for the link. I remember Roger Cleveland discussing how sole width relates to effective bounce when he first built wedges for Callaway.

Epic Max LS 10.5

Steelhead XR 3-Heaven-9Ws

0211 5-GW

Glide 2.0 WS 54

Rally 58

Huntington Beach Soft Premier 8

Vero X1

[quote name='ubergoober' timestamp='1294114969' post='2873927']http://blog.hirekogolf.com/2007/10/understanding-golf-club-bounce-angle/

Thanks for the link. I remember Roger Cleveland discussing how sole width relates to effective bounce when he first built wedges for Callaway.
[/quote]

haha you're a nice guy ... in other words vicar i already know all about this stiff :) what can i say i love to link stuff ... and yeah roger is probably the one you want to go to regarding all bounce discussions as an (if not the) ultimate authority ... i just like how the guy in the link i posted explains it ...

[quote name='vicar' timestamp='1294182542' post='2875159']
[quote name='ubergoober' timestamp='1294115082' post='2873928']
[quote name='golfboy123' timestamp='1294114114' post='2873911']
Bounce is your friend !!
[/quote]
:good:
[/quote]
i second that ...
:good::good:
[/quote]
Me three! Heck I like the Callaway wedges because of the high bounce. I have the X-Forged 54*-15* (C-Grind) and it works better than my former 56*-12* (forged Maxfli for $50 haha), and I can notice smaller divots but it lets me be more aggressive on full shots and bunkers without worries of digging too much. I also have the X-Forged 62*-9* (standard grind) and I think I need more bounce! I might go with the Jaws and get the 60*-13* for more bounce- I know the C-Grind makes it lower effective bounce but it's still more than 9*.

**testing several drivers right now** 😉
Adams XTD Ti Fairway Woods, 15* and 18* with **testing** X-Stiff Shafts
Adams XTD Ti Hybrid, 20* (set to 21*) with **testing** X-Stiff Hybrid Shaft
Adams CMB Irons, 4-PW with KBS Tour FLT Black 120 Stiff Shafts
TaylorMade Milled Grind Wedges, 52-12* (bent to 54*) and 58-12* (bent to 60*) with KBS Tour 125 Black Wedge Shafts

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 Tank, 36" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip

backup: STX Sync Series 8 Putter (Red Face Insert), 35" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip

• 6 months later...

[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1293945654' post='2870354']
Curious how the RAZR X Tours will play. The bounce begins at 8 for the 3 iron. That's relatively high compared to, for example, the Diablo Forged, which start at 1 and increase 1 bounce point for each progressive iron. Same thing for the X Forged (and RAZR X Forged, for that matter).

The bounce seems comparable to the bounce found in the formentioned irons once you get to the 7 or 8 iron. But for the 3,4,5 and 6, you're looking at a bounce 3 to 7 degrees higher for any given iron

The bounce specs are reproduced below (you can also see them here: http://www.callawaygolf.com/Global/en-AU/Products/Clubs/Irons/RAZRXTourIrons/Specifications.html).

Thoughts why they went high (higher) bounce in the long irons moving into the mid? Even the regular RAZR's are similarly high bounce.

Also pretty unusual is the stock shaft has a high kick profile. I don't recall Callaway ever going that route with a stock shaft before.

I'm pretty excited to hit both the X Tour and X Forged, and very possibly might wind up with both sets.

Iron/Bounce
3 - 2.0
4 - 3.0
5 - 3.5
6 - 4.0
7 - 5.0
8 - 6.0
9 - 7.0
P - 9.0
A - 12.0
[/quote]

These bounce specs above are wrong.

I did get both sets, and there's no way the RAZR X Tour bounce is remotely close to what I wrote above. Though I did get it from the Callaway site at the time (January), I suspect it might have been a mistake.

In any event I saw this thread was revived, so thought I'd post the correct bounce numbers. Link: [url="http://www.callawaygolf.com/Global/en-US/Products/Clubs/Irons/RAZRXTourIrons/Specifications.html"]RAZR X Tour Irons bounce[/url]

Iron/Bounce
3 - 8.0
4 - 8.3
5 - 8.5
6 - 8.8
7 - 9.0
8 - 9.5
9 - 10.5
P - 11.5
A - 12.0