2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Taylormade 2011 Forged -- CB/MC/MB review with pic...

Don't want to get outdone by everyone else, so here you guys go:

Alright, REVIEW:

I've owned nearly every TM iron since the late 90s: the original Rac MB and Rac CB, also gamed the old Lehman 300 Forgeds, the 05 TP CB (my personal favorites), the TP MB, R7 TP, tour issue R7 TP Goosens, tour issue .355 Tour Burners, 09 Tour Preferred retail, tour issue 09 Tour Preferred B and a combo set of tour issue 4-7 w/ B 8-W, R9 TP, and tour issue R9 TP B...I thought the 09 Tour Preferred B was the best to date...a hair more offset than the nearly zero offset R9 TP B but with the thin sole of a blade. The 09 Tour Preferred had lower offset values than the R9 TP in the 2-4, same in the 5, but higher in the 7-PW. Both the retail 09 Tour Preferred and R9 TP were too chunky (especially in the sole) for my liking. I prefer the thinner sole of the MB or B heads of previous TM offerings, but like a little offset...

First impression: they look super sweet. TM has a winner here. The top lines are perfect for me.

MC 4-6i: I think this is gonna be where the set really shines for the public. Very hot penetrating ball flight. I had my Ping S59 irons out there with these to test. The 6 of the MC is a much more boring flight than the S59. Hotter feel off the face. Very good forging for an off the rack club. They blow away the "soft cast" that TM has used in the last couple sets I've had (2009 Tour Preferred B and R9 TP B). I'll be playing rounds this weekend and will report back, but based on range performance, I think this is where TM will make some $. The public will love these things.

Offset of the MC is progressive vs. the R9 TP: less in the 2-4, same in the 5, slightly more in the 6-PW. The sole width is where I think the greatest improvement is: it interacts much better w/ the turf than the R9 TP in my opinion. In a quick comparison, the sole is much closer to the R9 TP B than the "chunkier" R9 TP. Sole width is what usually kills the TP line for me. The offset is normally okay to my eye, but the chunkier sole and I just don't get along. These are the perfect complement of offset/sole width. Sole width much closer to the B series irons, with the offset/forgiveness of the regular TP lines.

MB 7-PW: Very solid feel yet again. The SW screw being in the sweetspot area gives is a strong feel at impact. I thought they would provide a little more boring flight. I was hitting the MB 8i and my S59 8i on nearly the same trajectory. Not quite the difference I saw in the 6i MC vs S59 test. The offset is perfect...these things just want to fly directly at the target with no curve--isn't that what you want from your low irons?

The offset of the MB is also progressive vs. the predecessor: lower in the 3-6i than the R9 TP, practically the same as the R9 TP in the 7-PW. Again, the sole is where they shine. They have the thin sole of the B series heads, with the offset/forgiveness of the regular TP line. This is where I really think these irons will shine for the public and the tour pros. The offset helps provide a stronger flight, but it comes without having to sacrifice the awesome turf interaction of the previous MB and B lines. I would have no issue gaming a whole setup of these.

Fire away with questions...I'll answer all of them I can...

**EDIT--Adams MB Comparison, cause I know it'll be asked: I had the Pro Black Adams MB also. These, though they look "similar", are much more user friendly in my opinion. I wanted to love the Pro Black MB, but fact is that they just didn't cut it for me. The forging felt a bit harsh, and they just overall lacked that solid feel behind the sweet spot that I love. Also, they seemed to want to dive in the turf for some reason. Though they swingweighted correctly, they just always felt a bit light at the head for me.

2011-02-17_11-47-44_402.jpg

2011-02-17_11-48-13_749.jpg

3, 6, 9

2011-02-17_11-42-00_544.jpg

2011-02-17_11-42-42_425.jpg

2011-02-17_11-46-42_462.jpg

3, 6, 9

2011-02-17_11-45-54_177.jpg

3 CB

2011-02-17_11-46-03_279.jpg

6 MC

2011-02-17_11-46-11_124.jpg

9 MB

2011-02-17_11-46-19_666.jpg

2011-02-17_11-48-02_544.jpg

2011-02-17_12-22-05_336.jpg

2011-02-17_12-22-16_475.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!, looking forward to a good read muxi87, make it a good un!

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

[quote name='muxi87' timestamp='1297968481' post='2987204']
[quote name='BDoubleG' timestamp='1297967313' post='2987127']
Agreed...the pics are great, but it does say "review"...
[/quote]

dang, you guys are quick and needy! Hahahaha...

I'm writing it, but wanted to throw the pics up quick..

Stay tuned...
[/quote]

Sorry...looking forward to the review!

Ping $430 LST | Ping Tour 2.0 65 
Titleist TSr2 4w | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8
Titleist TSr3 4h | Project X Even Flow White 100
PING i210 4-U | TT DG 120 S300
Vokey SM9 54.12D, 60.12D | TT DG S300
Scotty Cameron MonoBlok 6

[quote name='craz-e' timestamp='1297968665' post='2987216']
Wow!, looking forward to a good read muxi87, make it a good un!
[/quote]

Review posted... :partytime2:

Maybe not the best read ever, but it's as informative/numbers driven as I could give...I'm here to answer any and all questions...I really think TM will make a BIG push with these...

Thanks for the review, these TM irons are certainly on my radar to try this year. Any comparisons with the R7 TP (my favorite TM iron to date)?

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

[quote name='eldog-in-the-hizouse' timestamp='1297970545' post='2987319']
Do you have any experience with the previous forged TP MB irons? If so I am curious to know how you feel they compare with the new Tour Preferred MB's? Turf interaction, blade size, feel, etc. I love the original forged TP MB's.
[/quote]
Guess I should've listed that too..I had the TP MB...had the original Rac MB and Rac CB...also gamed the old Lehman 300 Forgeds...added to original post.

As for the questions, yes, the turf interaction is closer to the MB/B heads than the previous TP (CB) lines. The regular TP lines are a bit chunky and bounce too much for my taste. These are more thin and sharper. Much better interaction. I will play these...I never could get along with the regular retail TP sets from the past few years...though I LOVED the 09 TP B heads ("the ones that got away").

[quote name='gohorse75' timestamp='1297970284' post='2987306']
So are you getting a higher ball flight with the MBs vs the MC?
[/quote]
It's hard to really say...I have the MB in the 8-PW and only hit the 8i so far, so yes, the MB 8i flies higher than the MC in the 6i. I haven't hit the MB 7i yet...that'll give me a better comparison (the MB 7i vs. the MC 6i).

[quote name='craz-e' timestamp='1297970805' post='2987332']
Thanks for the review, these TM irons are certainly on my radar to try this year. Any comparisons with the R7 TP (my favorite TM iron to date)?
[/quote]
I group the R7 TP with the 09 TP...pretty close specs, so that comparison above w/ the 09 Tour Preferred should be a good comparison for you. I also had the R7 TP Goosens...they were closer to the R9 TP in my opinion, so that'd make that comparison good too.

Great pics and review. Can you post your impressions of the CB 3 iron? Any thoughts of what the CB would play like as a set? Love the looks of the MC but i like more offset than they offer, which was less than i expected. Thanks.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW
Titleist SM10 Raw 54*, 58*

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Chrome Soft X Trutrack '24

Vessel Lite Lux

[quote name='jjl' timestamp='1297973024' post='2987427']
Great pics and review. Can you post your impressions of the CB 3 iron? Any thoughts of what the CB would play like as a set? Love the looks of the MC but i like more offset than they offer, which was less than i expected. Thanks.
[/quote]
I only hit it a few times on the range...not enough to draw any kind of conclusion yet. I'm heading out now for a round, and I'll be sure to get a few shots in with it and report back this evening.

[/quote]

Not to thread jack just add info. I hit all 6i in all three at GG yesterday. As muxi stated, very solid thru the line up. When I hit the MB great feedback but if I did a combo set the 6i would be a MC. The MB/MC had DG-S300 in them. The MC just looked right. Thinner top line than my preception of the R9 TP. A chunk more forgiving than the MB. Sole did not look like it would be a digger. The look of the Screw / weight is much better than any picture I have seen.The surprise of the bunch was the CB. At address lookes between the R9TP and the Burner line (1.0 / 2.0). The CB had a TP-90 graphite shaft and was very stable. Stronger lofts on the CB made it the longest and most forgiving. I am seriously thinking of a combo of MC / CB or straight CB. The CB is that good.

Don't get me started on the fairway/rescue line....just super.

Thanks for the review muxi. I look forward to your on the course review. :drinks:

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

I'm not really in the market for an iron this year but I really like this offering from TM. All forged and all available at the same time is a nice change. I'd be interested to see what the sole and leading edge looks like on them if you can.

Titleist TSr3 8* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6
Titleist TSr3 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7
Sonartec MD 19* Fujikura Banzai
MacGregor Pro-M 4-P S300
MacGregor MT-Pro 52.6*, 56.12*, 58.10 bent to 59*
Scotty Cameron California Series Del Mar

First time poster.

I have been gaming the Smokes with Project X 6.0 for two years now and got on the launch monitor this weekend to compare the new line (with S300's) versus the Smokes. I hit the MB 8 iron 4 feet lower than my 8 iron with a ridiculous increase of 1,500 rpm. The MB's are just flat out solid feeling.

I wanted a bit more forgiveness with the middle irons and the MC's are like cheating without losing too much feel. This too is where I think TM will make hay with this line. I could see most players under a 12 having no problems gaming these.

I picked up the 4 iron in the CB and hit bullet after bullet. I hit shot after shot that carried a very consistent 212 yards which is probably in the neighborhood of 5 yards further than I carry most 4 irons. They are just a touch chunky and offset for my personal tastes buy I am going to give it a go in the 4. I am not sure about how many sets of CB's they will move with the Burner 2.0 being pushed, but it makes a nice transition for a combo set with the MC's.

F9 9.5* at 8* Hazardous Red 13* F7 19* Callaway XR Hybrid 4-GW Mizuno HM Pros 55* Mizuno S5 60* Mizuno S5 STX Sync 3 45" Snell MTB Yellow

Thanks for the review Muxi, on to my question. How would you compare the feel of the MC to the 2005 Forged CBs?

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

What would you compare the feel to? Nike, Mizuno soft or Titleist clicky? How is the sole compared to the TP 2008's? I really liked those for turf interaction.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1297991884' post='2988284']
Thanks for the review Muxi, on to my question. How would you compare the feel of the MC to the 2005 Forged CBs?
[/quote]

Been a few years since I gamed the 05, but I'd have to say they're pretty close. These have a SUPER solid/strong feeling at the sweetspot. They are just plain out solid.

I played a whole round today with them, and I tell you what, if I absolutely had to choose one set (no combo), I really think I'd go with the MC. The MB is beautiful, and a fabulous set, but I'm very impressed by the MC.

[quote name='muxi87' timestamp='1297973140' post='2987431']
[/quote]
I only hit it a few times on the range...not enough to draw any kind of conclusion yet. I'm heading out now for a round, and I'll be sure to get a few shots in with it and report back this evening.
[/quote]

Played a whole round today and hit more balls:

The CB just doesn't do it for me...at all...granted it's only the 3i I have, but the MP Fli Hi 3i may stay in the bag honestly. The CB just doesn't even compare to the other two for me. The "forged" feel isn't the same, the solid strike of the MC and MB isn't there in the CB for me either.

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1297992500' post='2988316']
What would you compare the feel to? Nike, Mizuno soft or Titleist clicky? How is the sole compared to the TP 2008's? I really liked those for turf interaction.
[/quote]
I've never played Nike irons...have zero experience there.

I don't like Titleist irons...they are a bit clicky to me...these aren't clikcy.

I'm not a Mizuno fan because of the shape of the iron heads, but the feel is very similar to these in my opinion. I've hit the MP57 recently...I'd say they are fairly similar feel wise.

TP 2008...which ones are those?

[quote name='muxi87' timestamp='1297993240' post='2988357']
[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1297991884' post='2988284']
[/quote]

Been a few years since I gamed the 05, but I'd have to say they're pretty close. These have a SUPER solid/strong feeling at the sweetspot. They are just plain out solid.

I played a whole round today with them, and I tell you what, if I absolutely had to choose one set (no combo), [u]I really think I'd go with the MC[/u]. The MB is beautiful, and a fabulous set, but I'm very impressed by the MC.
[/quote]

Those were my thoughts too....they look that good. How about this: any comparisons (feel, traj, set-up and distance) to the JDM Forged offerings from the past 3-4 years? Say...the '07 r7 Forged?

[quote name='PGA Tour' timestamp='1297994083' post='2988407']

Those were my thoughts too....they look that good. How about this: any comparisons (feel, traj, set-up and distance) to the JDM Forged offerings from the past 3-4 years? Say...the '07 r7 Forged?
[/quote]

I hit the r7 forged a few times...they didn't have as solid a feel behind the ball as these...that's what makes these different...and I think that solid feel is attributed to the weight being right behind the ss.

[quote name='muxi87' timestamp='1297996913' post='2988557']
[quote name='PGA Tour' timestamp='1297994083' post='2988407']
[/quote]

I hit the r7 forged a few times...they didn't have as solid a feel behind the ball as these...that's what makes these different...and I think that solid feel is attributed to the weight being right behind the ss.
[/quote]

That's also what I liked about the legendary 300 Forged. They had the the weight right behind the sweet spot too.