2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

FT Tour vs. RAZR Hawk Tour

fowler52

Played today with both...
I think it's funny how many people were dogging the whole RAZR line based on the name, which is bad by the way. Now that the club is out it's a hit.

I am a bit of a Callaway fan. Started with an FT 3 fade with a 757X and it was the best driver I ever had! Stayed in, or around, the bag for years. Then comes the FT9 TA/FT Tour and I thought it was the second coming of FT 3! I've run through countless combos and never had a terd in the bunch. The rotating gamers are 8.5 tour heads, one with DI7 TX and the other with P9003(on a bit of a Graphite Design kick)

Well, went a little crazy and ordered a RH Tour with a Kai'li 70X. Since I wanted to try both, I figured why not at the same time! Sooo... got it in and promptly yanked the shaft, tipped it to 45", Pured the shaft, D4 at 268. It's a bit softer than I'm used to but feels stable enough. Hit a few on the monitor and it's very close. About the same as the current stable, with the killed shots maybe a touch faster off the face.

The quick shop test was promising so I had to play this afternoon and see. 20mph winds all day so it's as good a time as any to test a driver. I know most want calm conditions, but I want to see what it does with a bit of adversity. Hit two off every tee, one with the DI and the other with the new toy.

I think I had 5 holes where I hit both solid enough to give a fair comparison. A few where I murdered one or the other. I love the sound of this head! A touch quieter and a slightly different pitch than the FT. The feel is quite similar. I have to say, I dig the shaft. It did get a touch loose if I got after it, but with a little experimentation, I think I could play it.

Ok, this thing is more forgiving than my FT's. The ball did not move as much in the air. It is almost like it's fighting to hold it's line, even in the wind we had today. Ok, the best think I can say about this club. There is one hole that is a launch pad. Elevated tee, wide fairway, and dead down wind. I always give it a go on this one. I just MANGLED both balls. My buddy said he thought it would be close. 15 yards. Winner... RAZR! Forgivness... RAZR! Feel... RAZR! Sound... RAZR!

I'm stunned here. I don't want to like this more than my babies. I like having a head that I can move the ball with. When people ask me why I'm hitting the FT, I tell them it's like having a 5 iron that goes 300 yards. I have to say though, there is something nice about seeing the ball go where you aim it. Consistantly. I am going to have to take a close look at the rest of the RAZR line. If it's as good as the Tour driver I might have quite a bag overhaul this year!!!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the report. I was contemplating starting a post to see who had hit both the Razr and FT as all the love for the Razr the last few days had got me thinking about what could really by the difference between these two, and all I was reading was the difference between the Razr and the R11 or 910's.

I currently game an FT and was thinking ok the Razr is apparently longer, but I don't really feel like I need more length?? So was wondering about the forgiveness / consistency, but didn't really think they could be that different. You may have just forced me to go and try one and/or put one in play - Thanks!

;)

Cheers,
Waz

methinks there are some Callaway reps posting on the golf forums :busted2:

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT Axiom 105

PXG GEN4 T 4 - PW DG120 X100

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

[quote name='JD3' timestamp='1298300772' post='2997395']
[/quote]

I am NOT a Callaway rep. In fact, I was a Taylor Made club whore/junkie not less than 2 years ago. The 09 Burner TP was the bomb for me!! I was so excited about the R11 that I just couldn't wait for it's release. Went and got fit for it, and asked the guy to also hit the D3 and the Razr Hawk Tour since they were just released. I will say that after following Philly Mick around Harding Park, I was just enamored with the sound he made at impact with the FT Tour. But not to digress, oh, I'm just a fan. That's all. Don't work for Callaway. Don't work for TM, don't work for KZG either. LOL. Wish I did. I'd spend more time at work than in WRX. LOL. Cheers!!

ok... I LOVE THIS POST. i have a ft tour 8.5 with DI7x - same setup as you. i hit everything HIGH until i went to this combo - now mid LOW spin bombs. like you said a 5 iron that goes 300 yds. a couple of questions...

>ball flight. higher or lower?

>how much more forgiving? with the ft there is no such thing as i barely missed it. either good or bad.

>have you hit the SF2.0TP? if so compare. i am down to two choices and need a nudge either way. leaning TMAG now..

CHANGE MY MIND!

jd3 if you think these are callaway reps, you must think half of taylormades staff is browsing this website toting praise of r11...

i for one like hearing about the different clubs from people that hit things other than taylormade...it seems like if someone isnt praising taylormade then there is some sort of agenda...

by the way to the OP...good review

Fair enough. It's these reports of "15 yard gains" I find suspect. That's way more than spring-like effect had, and even more than steel to titanium. Callaway isn't even saying the heads are hotter, they're saying they're lighter so you can increase shaft length while maintaining swing weight.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

[/quote]

I actually had the same results as him. I returned my R11 for the RH when it came out.

I'm slightly surprised to hear you are happy with the forgiveness. I listened to an interview of one of the Callaway guys and he said that the Tour version was much less forgiving than the regular. The regular RH has just been incredibly forgiving for me. I need to get used to the sound compared to how my SuperTri used to be, but I might be bagging Callaway woods for a long time after this (this is my first callaway club). The stock shaft has also be phenomenal for me!

[quote name='LongJohn6284' timestamp='1298310976' post='2997772']
jd3 if you think these are callaway reps, you must think half of taylormades staff is browsing this website toting praise of r11...

i for one like hearing about the different clubs from people that hit things other than taylormade...it seems like if someone isnt praising taylormade then there is some sort of agenda...

by the way to the OP...good review
[/quote]

I'm pretty good friends with a local pro that manages a good size operation at one of the big resorts in our area and he has been talking up the Razr Hawk Driver since last Oct. which was the first time he hit it at a Callaway dealer demo for the 2011 Callaway line up including the Razr Hawk. He's a Ping guy and not easily impressed by market hype. He claims it's the real deal.

Titleist 915 10.5
Callaway Epic, 15 degree 3 metal
Adams Idea Tech V4 18 Hybrid
Mizuno MP-54 4-PW Irons
Callaway MD 3, 50, 54 & 58 wedges
Scotty Cameron Kombi S, 34

[quote name='T REX' timestamp='1298311987' post='2997810']
[/quote]

I actually had the same results as him. I returned my R11 for the RH when it came out.

I'm slightly surprised to hear you are happy with the forgiveness. I listened to an interview of one of the Callaway guys and he said that the Tour version was much less forgiving than the regular. The regular RH has just been incredibly forgiving for me. I need to get used to the sound compared to how my SuperTri used to be, but I might be bagging Callaway woods for a long time after this (this is my first callaway club). The stock shaft has also be phenomenal for me!
[/quote]
Dont doubt for a second RH is better than R11, as I think the TM adjustable heads are junk.

But the OP was comparing it to the FT Tour.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1298310657' post='2997761']
ok... I LOVE THIS POST. i have a ft tour 8.5 with DI7x - same setup as you. i hit everything HIGH until i went to this combo - now mid LOW spin bombs. like you said a 5 iron that goes 300 yds. a couple of questions...

>how much more forgiving? with the ft there is no such thing as i barely missed it. either good or bad.

>have you hit the SF2.0TP? if so compare. i am down to two choices and need a nudge either way. leaning TMAG now..

CHANGE MY MIND!
[/quote]

The head certainly seems to launch a touch higher. Not much, but still noticeable. The spin is almost the same. When hitting inside on the monitor, it's right in my window with the FT's, 2100-2600 with a 2400ish average. I didn't notice a difference in launch on the computer but it was noticeable out on the course. I think that's what led to the increase in distance on some shots.

To the fellow that thinks I'm a Callaway rep and am blowing up this club... Sorry, but if they're hiring I'm in! If this thing doesn't sell the whole industry ought to just pack it up. Also, I didn't mean I hit it 15 yards past the FT all day. I was talking about one particular hole. They were actualy very evenly matched for most of the round. The misses were noticably better with the RAZR though.

I have not compared it to the SF 2.0 TP. Probably will not either. I just think it is an awfull looking club. No dice there. I do want to give the F11 a run though. My buddy I played with is an Adams junkie and he just switched from the trusty old 9032 to the F11 and is hitting it much better. Maybe a little farther, but much better overall. Much more control and just better more often.

[quote name='JD3' timestamp='1298312152' post='2997820']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Dont doubt for a second RH is better than R11, as I think the TM adjustable heads are junk.

[/quote]

Wouldn't the comparison to the FT Tour make sense...considering the RHT is the next logical iteration (at the moment) of the FT Tour?

Thank you for the great info. I tried the RH at the Cally event at GG and loved the feel hitting it into the simulator. The RH could get onto my shopping list when I get around to selling off some of the 8 drivers I have. I think Cally is one of the best organizations in the business and I hope the RH line takes them to the top.

TSr 2, 11 driver, Tensei Blue, 55r

TSi 2, 16.5 fairway wood, Tensei Blue, 65r

Aerojet, 21 fairway wood, Kai’li Blue, 65r
Qi10 22 hybrid, Ventus Blue, 65r
AP3, 5-48* - Steelfiber i95 r
Vokey SM9 - 52, 56, KBS Tour lite
Evnroll ER2,  33"

[quote name='wundej' timestamp='1298314209' post='2997920']
[quote name='JD3' timestamp='1298312152' post='2997820']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wouldn't the comparison to the FT Tour make sense...considering the RHT is the next logical iteration (at the moment) of the FT Tour?
[/quote]
Yes it would, that was my point of objecting to comparing to R11

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

I play Callaway 07 X-Forged irons "only", and swear by them. I do NOT like the Razr line because of their appearance, and that it appears to have taken over the X-Forged line. Play it if you like, no big whoop to me... but if I had to pick a word, gaudy comes to mind. I just hope Callaway is wise enough to keep making more conservative clubs for better amateurs; otherwise when it comes time for me to buy new irons they will loose me and about four other golfers that also play older Callaway irons and woods.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='fowler52' timestamp='1298313633' post='2997881']
[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1298310657' post='2997761']

CHANGE MY MIND!
[/quote]

The head certainly seems to launch a touch higher. Not much, but still noticeable. The spin is almost the same. When hitting inside on the monitor, it's right in my window with the FT's, 2100-2600 with a 2400ish average. [b]I didn't notice a difference in launch on the computer but it was noticeable out on the course. I think that's what led to the increase in distance on some shots. [/b]To the fellow that thinks I'm a Callaway rep and am blowing up this club... Sorry, but if they're hiring I'm in! If this thing doesn't sell the whole industry ought to just pack it up. Also, I didn't mean I hit it 15 yards past the FT all day. I was talking about one particular hole. They were actualy very evenly matched for most of the round. The misses were noticably better with the RAZR though.

I have not compared it to the SF 2.0 TP. Probably will not either. I just think it is an awfull looking club. No dice there. I do want to give the F11 a run though. My buddy I played with is an Adams junkie and he just switched from the trusty old 9032 to the F11 and is hitting it much better. Maybe a little farther, but much better overall. Much more control and just better more often.
[/quote]
RH is 1/2th degree less open than FT Tour. That could account for increased launch angle. Maybe youve just needed more loft on your driver all along

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

I was very impressed with the ft tour. I hit it for the first time and it was great. I liked the hyper x but the loft was to high and it was a hook monster. The ft tour feels even better off the face with better spin numbers and the face is just a little bit open which is perfect.

Looking forward to finding an ft tour for a good price before the season starts. I still have some drivers to test out before the season starts but so far the ft tour is winning. I was very surprised by how forgiving the face was. I was still getting pretty good numbers with hits near the heal which is where my misses happen.

[quote name='goliath23' timestamp='1298336824' post='2998781']
I was very impressed with the ft tour. I hit it for the first time and it was great. I liked the hyper x but the loft was to high and it was a hook monster. The ft tour feels even better off the face with better spin numbers and the face is just a little bit open which is perfect.

Looking forward to finding an ft tour for a good price before the season starts. I still have some drivers to test out before the season starts but so far the ft tour is winning. I was very surprised by how forgiving the face was. I was still getting pretty good numbers with hits near the heal which is where my misses happen.
[/quote]
Have you compared the FT Tour to the RAZR Hawk Tour?

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

[/quote]
The hyper X driver was not very good IMHO. You need to compare the FT-Tour to the new RHT.

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1298341395' post='2999112']

[/quote]
The hyper X driver was not very good IMHO. You need to compare the FT-Tour to the new RHT.
[/quote]
I refuse to pay 450+ $ for any club. With my budget I have to stick to something a little affordable.

I found the hyper x to be ok but not great which is why its not in my bag. I have noticed that people with lower swing speeds hit the hyper x pretty good. Unfortunately I swing between 115 and 125 so it didn't fit very well.

• 1 month later...

the RH is a fnnn beast.... played a couple rounds with the temps in the 40's and killing it. RH tour 9.5 stiff rip, SS 98 -105. With my Hibore XL I would top out at 96mph. Just got back from the range and dropped a couple of my shag balls and almost put it over the fence at 230yds. Fence is probably 60 ft. high and I hit the the top of it in 40* weather. Amazing thing is the tour is 1* open and no slices or big misses right. I had impact tape on the face and every hit was close or on the sweet spot. I've always lost shots right and this baby just want's to go straight or fade. Not bad for a 57 yr old guy that couldn't drive the ball over 210 yds last year (part swing & driver) ....The Rip shaft is a fantastic combo with the head, don't care if it's the real deal or not... With all the above being said I'm still waiting on my 8.5* 910D2 with F3 shaft. Ordered it before I hit the Razr, should be an good shootout.

Not changing my username but
had a hole in 1!

I have two Buddies who have played the FT-3 for years... one with a 85 gram x flex nv and the other with an x-flex blue.. both are plus index guys and would be considered level headed about just about everything. One of them has been fortunate enough to play a great deal of golf the past 10 years and at just over forty has everything in the way of technology in his home that a top tier tour pro would have.. he has spent nearly 100K on high speed cameras and technology to help himself improve.. as well as a full fitness center. Both of the guys are very knowledgeable and have told me that they have found no set-up that creates more ball speed than the ft-3.. until now..one works in the business and has daily access to two different launch monitors and various fitting technologies.. I do not know what they are "on to".. but they are both talking about bringing out new drivers in the next few weeks... am hearing a lot of noise about the Hawk... we'll see.. I know that I have never hit a driver as long or as well as the tour Octane I now game with a proto Blur that was slipped me by a Cally tech.. I owe ya Big Nate.. I owe ya! have another with a motore speeder VC 5.1 that is money as well but just not a lively on pure hits.