2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Adams CMB vs XTD Forged

MadGolfer76

Thoughts? Can anyone offer a direct comparison of these irons? I have done a lot of reading in the forums, but most of it centers around "wanting to buy" and "those look great," but not as much actual playing feedback.

Thx

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Own the CMBs and love them. Only hit the new ones at store into net/monitors so cant really tell you much about performance. They sure look nice though.

I personally dont think that smaller non GI irons improve that much if at all from model to model so if you like the CMBs as much or better and you dont want to spend as much...go with the CMBs

There was a thread a week ago saying that a new set of these were already falling apart...

Stealth+ 10.5: LAG Trono 65x
Stealth 15: Speeder Evo I 757x
TM UDI 2: Motore Speeder Tour Spec HB9.8x
19 P790 4-PW: DG TI X100
TM MG 50, TM TW 56/60 
Scotty SS NP 2

Here's the link to the issue I was having with my XTD's.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/950115-update-adams-xtd-iron-defect/page__p__8402427#entry8402427

I have no experience with the CMB's, but the XTD's were really nice…loved the feel of the club face at impact…pretty forgiving, I'm currently correcting issues with push shots and the XTD's, for whatever reason, I would put really nice draws on them, which is pretty rare for me.

The Iomic grips are a nice touch as I never felt an upgrade was needed there. The KBS C-tapers were also a nice touch for a stock shaft…

I think they're dead sexy clubs, I like the sort of industrial look on the back of the club, very simple "generic" lettering. I would have loved to keep them, but I think I found a pretty good replacement in the Callaway X forged. I'm loving the PXI shafts in them, much more so than the C-tapers. YMMV.

I wouldn't keep anyone from purchasing the XTD's, they are awesome, but I had my issue with them. Many, many other people have not, but it was noted by Adams that there were 2-3 other similar issues like mine. For the record, and you might read in the linked thread, Adams was golden on their word and sent me a new 6 iron overnight. In fact, they had it on the plane within a couple hours, before I decided to exchange them at my pro shop. They were extremely quick to rectify the situation.

Good luck!

I wish I had the CMBs. I'm definitely not a good enough ball striker to bag them and have consistency though. My pro tells me blades will make me focus and play better. He says it every time I play with him. Getting sick of hearing it but after watching him stripe piercing darts shot after shot with his mb2s I might pick up a set of CMBs. The XTDs look sweet and all but the reviews for the CMBs are the best I've read. That and I demoed a set last year at a trade show.

Cleveland DST 10.5 stiff
Wilson Staff 15* FW stiff
Wilson Staff D-100 19* hy
Adams CB3 4-GW KBS stock/stiff
Wilson Harmonized M3 putter/35"
Carbite 56* SW / Carbite TS 60* LW

I have both but now am selling the XTD's (ebay plug). In the in end I still think the CMB's are the best irons Adam's has made. I think they feel very similar. I actually liked the ball flight better with my CMB's ( super blue peening vs C-tapers) I didnt find the XTD's were any longer or any more forgiving then my good ole CMB's.

I have both and Ive had pretty much every players iron you could name. I think that the XTD's are hands down the best irons ever. I absolutely love the feel of them. The slot, or what ever you call it, when hit in the center feels and sounds like no other. i have a set of recoil shafts in mine and right now wouldn't think about getting rid. I had my first ace with the 8 iron last Saturday.... the cmb are great, but the slot make the club. I really dont need any more distance and i don't feel that these are longer than any other iron. As far as the issue the other guy had, haven't really had that come up. we will see.

• 2 months later...

I just want to give this thread a bump to see if anyone else has some input.

Driver- Taylormade M1 460 9.5*, 7m3 Black Tie S
Fairway- Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 HL, 16*, 8m3 Black Tie S
Hybrid- Taylormade RBZ Stage 2, 19*, hm3 Black Tie S
Irons- Adams CMB 4-PW, KBS Tour C-Taper 120 S
Wedges- Adams CMB GW, Taylormade EF ATV 54*, Vokey SM3 60*
Putter- TM Ghost Spider S

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an old thread, but:
Took my A12 Pros (KBS Tour stiff) and demo'd them on an indoor launch monitor today vs CMBs and XTDs (C-Taper stiff). I had hit the CMBs off grass quite a bit and liked it. I balloon the A12s a bit, especially into the wind, but have never hit an iron any better. Both clubs with the C-Tapers eliminated the balloon (this is very important in TX and OK, as it windy, often).

Anyway, didn't like the look of the XTDs at all in photos, but they look better in person. You can definitely feel the slot at impact, they don't feel a good as the CMBs, and have a bit of a springy sensation (when hit back to back to the other clubs; otherwise, probably wouldn't have noticed). To be honest, I'd forgotten they had the slot until I hit them and looked. Also, I was really interested in comparing the A12s vs the CMBs AGAIN, but the XTDs will likely be ordered shortly. I hit them a mile and they took a bit of side spin off my normal bad swing: over-draw/hook. Literally added 5-8 yds, with less effort to hit than the CMBs, were much more forgiving than the CMBs, but still had plenty of feedback for me. In case anyone cares, I'm a 5 HC and swing the 6I ~86-87 mph.

I have played and still have a set of CMBs and think they are one of the best irons I have ever gamed. I looked at the new XTDs and they didn't fit my eye, they felt fine, but visuals are important for me.

Ping g430 10K w/ DI-6S

TaylorMade Sim Ti 5W w/ Ventus blue 7-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

Mizuno 243  w/ Modus 120-S, 4-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

[quote name='golf9596' timestamp='1397429190' post='9082827']
I have played and still have a set of CMBs and think they are one of the best irons I have ever gamed. I looked at the new XTDs and they didn't fit my eye, they felt fine, but visuals are important for me.
[/quote]
I'm guessing you mean they didn't suit your eye from address. What was off about them? I'm gaming the CMBs and absolutely love them, they look perfect to me. I was thinking about trying the xtd's but haven't seen them yet.

Driver- Taylormade M1 460 9.5*, 7m3 Black Tie S
Fairway- Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 HL, 16*, 8m3 Black Tie S
Hybrid- Taylormade RBZ Stage 2, 19*, hm3 Black Tie S
Irons- Adams CMB 4-PW, KBS Tour C-Taper 120 S
Wedges- Adams CMB GW, Taylormade EF ATV 54*, Vokey SM3 60*
Putter- TM Ghost Spider S

• 4 weeks later...

I'm probably going to hit the XTD's today, and lets be honest --- most likely order them. I bought the CMB's in 2012 when they came out and have since worn the grooves off the 7,8, and 9 iron. I love those clubs, and have never loved a set so much that I've worn them out. Lol.

Only question now is on shaft stiffness - I feel like the CtaperS plays a bit soft (6i SS at 93-94), but the X I hear is stiffer than say a PX6.5 or X100.

Anyways, I'll post feed back once I get a chance to.

Titleist TS3, Evenflow stiff, 9.5, A1
Callaway Rouge SZ w/AD-DI 7x, 13.5*
Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid 18*
Titleist AP3 718 4-pw (weakened 2*)
Bettinardi Studio 28 Arm Lock
Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Titleist ProV1x (2017)

My CMB's have been in the bag for a year now.

It's hard for me to envision a better iron. Interested to to hear your results, but my CMB's ain't going anywhere.

Driver: Ping G400 10.5* w/Axivcore Black 5.5 Shaft
3W: Cobra F8 w/Hazardous Black 6.0 Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway x2Hot 19*; x2Hot 22*; x2Hot 25*
Irons: Cobra King Forged TEC Black w/Recoil Shafts 6i-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM6 50/08* "F" Grind;
Vokey SM6 54/08* "M" & 58/08* "M"
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W 34" w/FlatCat Solution Putter Grip
NEO-X GPS Watch; Caddytek Push Cart
Ball: Srixon Q-Star Tour/Bridgestone Tour RXS

"I'm glad to say I've come around, but if I could have one wish....
I'd like another try at 25....or was it 26."

Charlie Daniels

I ended up ordering the XTD's forged last week. S stiffness shaft, hardstepped once. I ordered the 4iron - Gap. Skipped the #3 hybrid because the yardage gap I would have to play it at doesn't work well in my set. I have a more traditional hyrbrid for that club . (230-240). I maxed the 4i out at around 210-212 carry. But this isn't about set comp ...

The flight scope numbers on the 6i were about 5800-6100 spin, and 185 carry or so. I was able to get high enough launch to not have to worry about the spin being on the low end. It is a very low spinning head, and as long as you have the club head speed to launch it high enough, then it'll just go.

They felt decent with the iomic grip, but I got the new decades put on. I can't really fix something that isn't broke, and I love the multi compounds. The club is beautiful, and although I LOVE my CMB's, it'll be fun to get to know a new set.

One comment on the sound. The CMB's have what I can only desribe as a bit more fuller, or bass sound at impact. The XTD is a higher pitched, click, sounds more like a Titleist iron. The feel is a bit more springy and less mushy / buttery. It doesn't mean that they're don't feel great at impact - but the CMB's feel more like a forged club.

I don't get too hung up on sound, and frankly, feel to me only needs to be useful. And with the XTD's, I had no problem feeling a toe, high, low, heel miss.

Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Titleist ProV1x (2017)

[quote name='m5rider' timestamp='1397424567' post='9081931']
Bit of an old thread, but:
I balloon the A12s a bit, especially into the wind, but have never hit an iron any better. Both clubs with the C-Tapers eliminated the balloon (this is very important in TX and OK, as it windy, often).
[/quote]

Kind of unrelated to this topic, but your statement is so true!! I couldn't get to liking my CB2s until I put C-Tapers into them and what a difference that's made for me!!

10.5* TI Cally Rogue ST TD S GD AD DI-6(x)
15* TI Cally Epic Speed GD AD IZ-7(x)

18* TI Cally Rogue ST  Matrix Code-7 (s) or 8M2 (x)

24* Cally 2014 Apex UT Matrix Altus (s)
5-PW Cally Apex Pro 19 Double Dot Raw Matte Black Nippon Modus 105 (s)

50* Cleveland RTX Black Matte Black Nippon Modus 105 (s)
54*/10 Cleveland RTX Tour Rack TI DG Spinner
58*/9 Cleveland RTX Full Face Tour Rack TI DG Spinner
34" Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 * 35" Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

35"Odyssey O-Works V-Line Fang CH * 35" Odyssey Works 7 CH (Schauffele treatment by Continental Golf)

I had a brief experiment with the CMB's this summer, and it boiled down to me being more comfortable with my previous a12 Pro's. However, they were great clubs and after testing them side by side with the new XTD, I can say that I preferred the CMB. The slight cavity in the short irons just offered a little forgiving, and the cost-benefit just wouldn't be enough to spend that much more on the current model.

If the XTD's are any better than the CMB's then they must be some of the best irons ever made. I've been very impressed with the CMB's. The 4 iron is not a club I have the greatest confidence in hitting consistently under tournament conditions so i'm replacing it with a H4. Other than that they have everything i'm looking for in an iron.

Driver - TBD
3 Wood - TBD
5 Wood - Mizuno MX700, PF v2
4-PW - Adams CMB, C-Taper
Wedges - Mizuno T4 52/58, S400
Putter - Odyssey Versa #7, SS 3.0
Ball - TF Gamer

Just an update.

Been gaming my new XTD Forged irons. The CMB's and XTD's feel fantastic. I hit them both well. But in all honesty, there seems to be just a tad bit more forgiveness in the XTD via technology, and not by having a shovel at the end of your shaft.

Great clubs either way. I hope TM doesn't ruin the adams brand.

Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Titleist ProV1x (2017)

I had the opportunity to hit the XTDs with the Aldila RIP graphite 115 shafts, yesterday. All I can say is wow. These clubs felt fantastic as you felt the heads all throughout the swing. The clubs have a really nice profile and are super easy to hit. I hit a few different irons, 6-8, and would game them in a heartbeat. While I did like the CMBs, (hit those a while back) I felt as though these just felt, better. There is only one problem and that's that most places that I've been to, including my fitter, cannot get these 6I-PW. Shame really, as I have zero use for the hybrids and the 5I.

OP-you and I both are huge fans of the Harrison Saga. I think you'll love these as much as you do that shaft.

TM R11 w Accra SC 75 M4
Nike Covert 2.0 3w w Accra Tour Z M4
Adams Grey Peanut 24* Aldila By You 80X
MP32 6-PW PX 6.0
Cobra Trust Rusty 56* and 60* S200 Shaft
DW Davis Custom Anser Style Putter

[quote name='art1066' timestamp='1401237848' post='9378013']
CMBs are wow. Was at the range today. They had a used set of CMBs with c taper s+. I hit 10 balls and took them home for 3 bills. Btw I hit the XTDs they didn't jump out at me.
[/quote]

CMB is a great club, grats on purchase, have fun with them.

Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Titleist ProV1x (2017)

[quote name='sherwin1987' timestamp='1397432390' post='9083339']
[quote name='golf9596' timestamp='1397429190' post='9082827']
[/quote]
I'm guessing you mean they didn't suit your eye from address. What was off about them? I'm gaming the CMBs and absolutely love them, they look perfect to me. I was thinking about trying the xtd's but haven't seen them yet.
[/quote]No a suit is something you wear. Lol. I think it was a combo of the color and toe. They felt very nice in the net and I had above average carry with the 6 iron I demoed. Carry was 184, about 5 yards longer than my CMBs. You will need to demo them your self to see if u like them. I could get use to them if they performed like the demo session.

Ping g430 10K w/ DI-6S

TaylorMade Sim Ti 5W w/ Ventus blue 7-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

Mizuno 243  w/ Modus 120-S, 4-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

I'd say the XTD has the same amount of forgiveness, (2 tungsten toe plugs) -- where it differes is that it seems to be a touch lower spinning, which isn't a bad thing as long as you can strike it well enough to get the required launch. I find myself on the fence with feel (if you see my earlier posts), but I've grown to really love the XTD feel. THere is a spring / squish type feel that is very nice. The CMB has a buttery smooth feel, and its great, but there isn't the feel of hotness off its face. (I know hotness isn't a useful word). lol.

Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Titleist ProV1x (2017)

• 6 months later...

I have both, CMB has a softer feel while the XTD feels a little spongier. XTD is a little longer, a little higher and a touch better on mishits. Since they perform so closely I'm keeping both so I can play the CMB's in the winter, I'm afraid the frozen ground and ice could mess up the slot on the bottoms of the XTD's. But if your decision is between the 2, I'd go right for the XTDs. And I skipped the hybrids and found a 4- GW set. XTD Ti hybrids are money if you need something for the 3 iron. Whether you get the CMB or XTD, you want that gap wedge. Such a perfect shape and feeling club.

Edit: I'll say that slight edge on the mishits is only really apparent in the 4-6 irons...short irons really play the same.

[quote name='27x10.5' timestamp='1420065582' post='10667507']
I have both, CMB has a softer feel while the XTD feels a little spongier. XTD is a little longer, a little higher and a touch better on mishits. Since they perform so closely I'm keeping both so I can play the CMB's in the winter, I'm afraid the frozen ground and ice could mess up the slot on the bottoms of the XTD's. But if your decision is between the 2, I'd go right for the XTDs. And I skipped the hybrids and found a 4- GW set. XTD Ti hybrids are money if you need something for the 3 iron. Whether you get the CMB or XTD, you want that gap wedge. Such a perfect shape and feeling club.

Edit: I'll say that slight edge on the mishits is only really apparent in the 4-6 irons...short irons really play the same.
[/quote]
Thanks. That is a big help. I am looking at a 4-Gap set. I think I'll pick up a hybrid as well. Great idea. Thanks. By the way, do you happen to have any experience with the Aldila RiP shafts? Just curious if they play pretty true to flex or if they are soft or firm to flex. Thanks again!

I have the C-taper in both so no experience. I just tried out a set of UST recoils which were amazing but the shaft was a little too light for me...if you're looking for graphite I'd check them out. You can find pulls on eBay because they come in the Callaway Apex irons....but that is the 110 f4 usually.