Bad day at the office

shotmark

"Bad day at the office" is a legitimate satirical comment. It's really only used in that context when you weren't actually working in an office. That's what makes it funny. If you work in an office and you had a bad day you probably wouldn't say it.

Let me ask you something. When you come in on Monday and you're not feeling real well, does anyone ever say to you, "Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays?"

No. No, man. S@#, no, man. I believe you'd get your a** kicked sayin' something like that, man.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talent. What is talent? Is it inborn? Are lawyers and doctors talented because they were born that way? Probably more to do with the fact that they studied their asses off and put in the work that others weren't willing to do. Put the kind of effort into your job that Tour pros put into their craft and I'll bet you that you work yourself up the corporate chain very fast.

Same goes for tour pros. Those guys work harder at their craft than I think most imagine. They spend more time on practicing the weak parts of their game than the avid golfers on this site spend playing golf in a week. They all only get paid when they play well, and still have to pay expenses when they make $0.00. After years of intense practice, they spent time on mini tours grinding to shoot -5 to make cuts, hoping they made enough money to pay for the gas home and the hotel they split 3 ways.

It bugs me when people say athletes made it because they are naturally more talented. It's a cop out for us average joes who don't want to admit that they just work harder than we do. People used to say I was a natural when I played golf as a kid. They didn't watch me sit on my local par 3 course hitting 50 yard pitch shots 3 times a week from after school until sundown. They probably would have been a "natural" too if they did the same.

This whole talent thing drives me crazy. Don't even get me started on how everyone talks about how hard Steph Curry works on his game, but LeBron is just a beast and ungodly athletic.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

After having become a fan of the Dan LeBetard Show with Stugotz, I can't bear the practice of spewing words that bear absolutely no real information or interesting perspectives. The interviewers questions and perfectly worded responses are clones of one another no matter the interviewer or interviewee (with some exceptions, of course). Honestly, after listening to Leb's show, I don't ever want to hear another NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. coach do a post-game presser either. Its just constant coach-speak or PR speech. I get it, really I do. But I deal with that every day at work - sometimes I just want an athlete to take advantage of their platform and speak freely. Its so much more enjoyable and entertaining (FOR ME) when someone does this.

As far as saying "bad day at the office", I hope I never get to a point where someone saying a frequently used expression ticks me off...

Talent. What is talent? Is it inborn? Are lawyers and doctors talented because they were born that way? Probably more to do with the fact that they studied their asses off and put in the work that others weren't willing to do. Put the kind of effort into your job that Tour pros put into their craft and I'll bet you that you work yourself up the corporate chain very fast.

Same goes for tour pros. Those guys work harder at their craft than I think most imagine. They spend more time on practicing the weak parts of their game than the avid golfers on this site spend playing golf in a week. They all only get paid when they play well, and still have to pay expenses when they make $0.00. After years of intense practice, they spent time on mini tours grinding to shoot -5 to make cuts, hoping they made enough money to pay for the gas home and the hotel they split 3 ways.

It bugs me when people say athletes made it because they are naturally more talented. It's a cop out for us average joes who don't want to admit that they just work harder than we do. People used to say I was a natural when I played golf as a kid. They didn't watch me sit on my local par 3 course hitting 50 yard pitch shots 3 times a week from after school until sundown. They probably would have been a "natural" too if they did the same.

This whole talent thing drives me crazy. Don't even get me started on how everyone talks about how hard Steph Curry works on his game, but LeBron is just a beast and ungodly athletic.

I was going to type up something very similar but you nailed it. Just because professional golfers at the highest level make more money than most, are on tv, and get to enjoy a better lifestyle than most does not mean they aren't allowed to have a bad day. They've earned everything that they have and they know too many "bad days at the office" could be the end of their job on the PGA tour

dont you guys think that greatness is when natural ability and hard work meet though? i agree with the above two mostly.. But cant agree that natural talent plus work wont beat no talent plus 10X work everytime... natural ability exists.. some waste it... some work hard and use it... and some dont have it or as much of it and work very very hard to get to be a journeyman.....

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

dont you guys think that greatness is when natural ability and hard work meet though? i agree with the above two mostly.. But cant agree that natural talent plus work wont beat no talent plus 10X work everytime... natural ability exists.. some waste it... some work hard and use it... and some dont have it or as much of it and work very very hard to get to be a journeyman.....

"Genius is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration".

~Thomas Edison

~Thomas Edison

Of course tour players work extremely hard to make it and stay on tour. However, it is a little different than being a CEO. Golf is still a physical pursuit requiring skill, touch, strength, hand eye etc..

The greats of all time (Jack ,Tiger, Snead, etc) and players that have been in the top 30 for years (Phil, Sergio, Scott). These players may have a slightly finer touch/imagination(Phil), better flexibility/strength (Snead), and other skills that aren't so easily quantifiable. A perfect example is putting. Tiger was unbelievable, Phil not so much. I would highly doubt Phil didn't work as hard on his putting as Tiger, Tiger is/was just a better putter overall. Why, who knows? But it isn't just hard work.

~Thomas Edison

Of course tour players work extremely hard to make it and stay on tour. However, it is a little different than being a CEO. Golf is still a physical pursuit requiring skill, touch, strength, hand eye etc..

The greats of all time (Jack ,Tiger, Snead, etc) and players that have been in the top 30 for years (Phil, Sergio, Scott). These players may have a slightly finer touch/imagination(Phil), better flexibility/strength (Snead), and other skills that aren't so easily quantifiable. A perfect example is putting. Tiger was unbelievable, Phil not so much. I would highly doubt Phil didn't work as hard on his putting as Tiger, Tiger is/was just a better putter overall. Why, who knows? But it isn't just hard work.

Not everyone can be a tour pro, of course. Not everyone can be a CEO either. There are limited CEO positions and even less PGA Tour cards. But athleticism plays a minor role in making it. It's dedication, intense practice, and the ability to work on the things you aren't good at.

Bob Rotella has talked about a client he has who retired, was in his late 60's, and wanted to become a scratch golfer. He was a successful man in his career, and took the same approach to practicing golf. He ended up going from something like a 20 handicap to eventually scratch, within a couple of years. His client came back to him and complained that everyone now kept saying "you must be a natural!", attributing it to anything besides putting in hard work. Actually, the guy worked his *** off. I think people just want to assume it's some talent only a few have so they don't feel bad about themselves.

I've watched a man in his 80's play golf every day and better his age almost every time he played. Same thing was said about him "fountain of youth!" Of course he was lucky to be playing great golf in his 80's, but the point is that this game can be played well if you are taking the right steps and putting in the time.

Edit: before anyone starts taking about distance being necessary on tour, and how Tiger has said distance is necessary to stay on tour, remember that with the modern ball and driver, everyone swinging over 100 mph is long now. Also, for how golf smart Tiger is, he's notoriously obsessed with distance, to his detriment at times.

~Thomas Edison

Not everyone can be a tour pro, of course. Not everyone can be a CEO either. There are limited CEO positions and even less PGA Tour cards. But athleticism plays a minor role in making it. It's dedication, intense practice, and the ability to work on the things you aren't good at.

Bob Rotella has talked about a client he has who retired, was in his late 60's, and wanted to become a scratch golfer. He was a successful man in his career, and took the same approach to practicing golf. He ended up going from something like a 20 handicap to eventually scratch, within a couple of years. His client came back to him and complained that everyone now kept saying "you must be a natural!", attributing it to anything besides putting in hard work. Actually, the guy worked his *** off. I think people just want to assume it's some talent only a few have so they don't feel bad about themselves.

I've watched a man in his 80's play golf every day and better his age almost every time he played. Same thing was said about him "fountain of youth!" Of course he was lucky to be playing great golf in his 80's, but the point is that this game can be played well if you are taking the right steps and putting in the time.

Edit: before anyone starts taking about distance being necessary on tour, and how Tiger has said distance is necessary to stay on tour, remember that with the modern ball and driver, everyone swinging over 100 mph is long now. Also, for how golf smart Tiger is, he's notoriously obsessed with distance, to his detriment at times.

No one is denying that hard work dedication etc. are crucial to success in any endeavor. Making it on tour and being the best of the best are two different things. To suggest that physical/mental intangibles of the best ever had little or nothing to do with it is short sighted. Many people have the work ethic, desire, passion etc but do not achieve the same results.

Like with anything it probably has it's ups and downs. Is it better than sitting in a cubicle? Quite. But I am sure it's not all unicorns and rainbows either. It's like seeing some guy with a real 10 on his arm and thinking how lucky he is. Is he? Maybe if you lived with her that 10 would turn into a 2 real quick.

Ha! I've dated tens and I've dated twos. They each have their attributes and drawbacks. Just so that I couldn't have the best or worst of any particular attribute I married a 6. (This valuation was given at the time of said marrigial act, the valuation unfortunately went down one point a year and now she's a -9 but I have great kids at least).

~Thomas Edison

Still agreeing with you to a point. But under that " work is all it takes" approach I should save enough money to live on for a year. Then just play and practice 7 days a week and be ready for the us open win next year. Right ?

I give you that a retiree with decent eye hand can go scratch from the senior tees ifhe does nothing but play golf. But I don't think that the best players in the world are the best simply because they practiced harder. Some of the games greats are naturals and could roll out of bed 30 years from now and shoot par or better on any muni on earth if they hadn't touched a club in years. And some of those guys making a living at it right now have trouble doing it now after beating balls for 8 hours plus a day.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is a difference between the scratch player who plays everyday and has worked down from a mid handicap vs the scratch player who rolls out of bed and shoots low 70s or has a 50 hour a week job and has a game that travels and shoots low 70s . The difference is that the 1st guy could stop playing for a month and would balloon back up to a big number. The other two wouldn't. Not as much.

Same for some players who at artistically minded. Can the guy who can only see the straight shot . The artist can see and hit shots to get out of trouble that the other guy just doesn't see. That's natural ability vs practice. I will say again though that to be really good I think it takes both.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Work is definitely not all it takes but most people fail to understand how much time these players have put in since childhood. Also working hard isn't simply the answer as you could hit 1000 balls a day and work on your game constantly and still never break par. There is some level of athleticism to it that some people simply don't have and they convince themselves that all they need is more time and reps. That is completely false.