2017-18 NHL (National Hockey League) Thread 2018

Joe85

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ducks goal- tending has been bad. Zero timely saves, D is bad, no Cam Fowler to get out quick, odd and bad pinches by inexperienced D men and Getz, Perry and Rackel not moving their feet. Very slow. Looks like Vegas and SJ in round 2.

When did they get Ryan Miller? I was shocked to see him on their roster the other night.

Also, I was shocked to see him on the bench.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

Ducks goal- tending has been bad. Zero timely saves, D is bad, no Cam Fowler to get out quick, odd and bad pinches by inexperienced D men and Getz, Perry and Rackel not moving their feet. Very slow. Looks like Vegas and SJ in round 2.

When did they get Ryan Miller? I was shocked to see him on their roster the other night.

Also, I was shocked to see him on the bench.

He signed with them last summer, been with them all year. I think it's a 2 year deal? He may start game 4 tonight cuz he played outstanding down the stretch coming into the playofffs.

Man I've been in the dark I guess. Working a lot more, and since the loss of my mom (and seeing my dad's - my best friend's - soul die in the process watching pro sports doesn't have as much meaning to me now that i'm in my late 30s now).

I love Ryan Miller - he's a great goalie.

Anaheim really has let us down.

On another note...can't believe Evander Kane has been so good since coming over...or at least relevant. Buffalo would have settled for relevant, but he didn't even give them that much at points.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Honestly if things don’t change , the Wild aren’t going to be cup contenders anytime soon . It’s not coaching , I think it has a lot to do with Chuck and the guys he signs and puts on the ice night in and out. Plus it’s not like they are a “bad team “ I just don’t think they’re the gritty team that is needed to win playoff games.

Honestly if things don't change , the Wild aren't going to be cup contenders anytime soon . It's not coaching , I think it has a lot to do with Chuck and the guys he signs and puts on the ice night in and out. Plus it's not like they are a "bad team " I just don't think they're the gritty team that is needed to win playoff games.

I just don't think they have the top end talent, Staal has obviously been an amazing signing for them but he's not it, I really like Granlund and Zucker but again they aren't truly game changers. Plus they are screwed with Parise's contract, guys a gamer and gives everything but you can't be paying a 50 point winger, who is <50% possession 7+ mm for the next 5 years or whatever. They are a nice team with a solid coach but that is all they will ever be with their roster, I like the guys they have on the backend and Duby is always a threat to steal a series but they just don't have the horses up front imo.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Tonight I am awfully pleased with the Penguins victory, but saddened Sid has surpassed Mario for post season points.

Mario was perhaps the most electrifying player to put on skates, he certainly is in my eyes. It’s sad when an transcendent player is passed by an amazing (best player for the past decade).

It feels like, in golf terms, if Spieth were to surpass Tiger. Maybe it’s just me, but onward ho Pens.

Including the first three playoff games (and consequently Parise's last three) of this season, Parise had 8 goals in the last 8 games of the season (5 goals in the last 5 games of the regular season, and 11 goals in his last 16 regular season games). Is there another player in the NHL that has that stat line in their last 8 games?

If it wasn't for goon plays by Winnipeg taking cheapshots, Parise was rounding right into form. The Wild should goon it up and take names for the liberties the Jets took with Parise.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Tonight I am awfully pleased with the Penguins victory, but saddened Sid has surpassed Mario for post season points.

Mario was perhaps the most electrifying player to put on skates, he certainly is in my eyes. It's sad when an transcendent player is passed by an amazing (best player for the past decade).

It feels like, in golf terms, if Spieth were to surpass Tiger. Maybe it's just me, but onward ho Pens.

Nah I'm a Mario era guy as well. Mario was the only player in NHL history to have retired with over a point per game average when he retired the first time. Not even Gretzky had those numbers.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Mario was perhaps the most electrifying player to put on skates, he certainly is in my eyes. It's sad when an transcendent player is passed by an amazing (best player for the past decade).

It feels like, in golf terms, if Spieth were to surpass Tiger. Maybe it's just me, but onward ho Pens.

Nah I'm a Mario era guy as well. Mario was the only player in NHL history to have retired with over a point per game average when he retired the first time. Not even Gretzky had those numbers.

Gretzky had those numbers and more. He just retired after Mario's first retirement.

I'm sorry but you're terribly mis-informed. Plenty of players had retired before Mario with over a point per game, Mike Bossy is just one example. Gretzky on the other hand retired at almost two points per game. I remember hearing that had Wayne kept playing full seasons but never scored another point, he would've dropped below a point per game only this season, 19 years later.

I'm happy the dirty Ducks are out, good riddance!

Hopefully the Leafs and Wild do bounce back (which are very unlikely outcomes) and Columbus takes care of Washington.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

Meant to say 2 POINT PER GAME. When he retired after the Hodgkins diagnosis he was the only player in NHL history to have more than 2PPG average.

Sorry, it was late last night and I was tired and just got home from work. lol

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Honestly if things don't change , the Wild aren't going to be cup contenders anytime soon . It's not coaching , I think it has a lot to do with Chuck and the guys he signs and puts on the ice night in and out. Plus it's not like they are a "bad team " I just don't think they're the gritty team that is needed to win playoff games.

I just don't think they have the top end talent, Staal has obviously been an amazing signing for them but he's not it, I really like Granlund and Zucker but again they aren't truly game changers. Plus they are screwed with Parise's contract, guys a gamer and gives everything but you can't be paying a 50 point winger, who is <50% possession 7+ mm for the next 5 years or whatever. They are a nice team with a solid coach but that is all they will ever be with their roster, I like the guys they have on the backend and Duby is always a threat to steal a series but they just don't have the horses up front imo.

Also don’t think dumba is an elite D. Imo he pinches and turns the puck over too often for odd man rushes

Also don't think dumba is an elite D. Imo he pinches and turns the puck over too often for odd man rushes

Has anyone ever claimed Dumba was an elite D?

He was a top 5 pick (IIRC) but I think we would have been happy with him being a top-4 guy.

Now, while some will take issue with this, Suter is an elite defenseman (eats more minutes than anyone else in the NHL for the better part of a decade). How many teams have elite defensemen in their lineup?

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Meant to say 2 POINT PER GAME. When he retired after the Hodgkins diagnosis he was the only player in NHL history to have more than 2PPG average.

Ah, that's a whole different story. :)

Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

Ah, that's a whole different story. :)

2.12 or something like that, if my memory serves me correctly. I still have my Mario OPC rookie card, too, still from when I was a kid. That was one of the cards I always lusted after (along with Brett Hull's OPC RC, and a few others).

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Also don't think dumba is an elite D. Imo he pinches and turns the puck over too often for odd man rushes

He was a top 5 pick (IIRC) but I think we would have been happy with him being a top-4 guy.

Now, while some will take issue with this, Suter is an elite defenseman (eats more minutes than anyone else in the NHL for the better part of a decade). How many teams have elite defensemen in their lineup?

Ya I think Dumba is a very solid player and if you have him in your top 4 your d is going to be very good, which obviously minnesota's is. But ya I'm a big Dumba fan but he's getting a little exposed this series with no Suter and with having to go against that Jets forward group which is the best in the league imo.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Ya I think Dumba is a very solid player and if you have him in your top 4 your d is going to be very good, which obviously minnesota's is. But ya I'm a big Dumba fan but he's getting a little exposed this series with no Suter and with having to go against that Jets forward group which is the best in the league imo.

I personally didn't want to see Reilly shipped out. And before him, Scandella. I think Scandella on this team would be very helpful right now (well, as would Haula, as it were.lol).

But there is a reason guys move on (cap, expansion draft, salary and draft picks etc..)

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

I personally didn't want to see Reilly shipped out. And before him, Scandella. I think Scandella on this team would be very helpful right now (well, as would Haula, as it were.lol).

But there is a reason guys move on (cap, expansion draft, salary and draft picks etc..)

Haula would've never gotten the role in Minnesota. One of the most interesting points about the Knights is how good even the players in limited roles are if you give them the chance. All the guys, Karlsson, Perron, Haula, Marchessault etc. took a step (or in Karlsson's case a couple of leaps) forward and showed what a bigger role can do for them.

It makes me wonder how much talent there is in the 3rd and 4th lines playing in defensive roles as their offensive skills weren't quite enough for their respective teams.

Haula would've never gotten the role in Minnesota. One of the most interesting points about the Knights is how good even the players in limited roles are if you give them the chance. All the guys, Karlsson, Perron, Haula, Marchessault etc. took a step (or in Karlsson's case a couple of leaps) forward and showed what a bigger role can do for them.

It makes me wonder how much talent there is in the 3rd and 4th lines playing in defensive roles as their offensive skills weren't quite enough for their respective teams.

Some of us were up on Haula - especially those of us who watched him at the U here.

I was one of those guys. And I think his stats showed a slow progression - some times the NCAA players who had fantastic numbers just take more time to grow into the game. I was in the probably 20 percent in Minnesota that really didn't want to see him go. If you check HF boards a lot of people there weren't crazy about Haula but I always liked his upside.

We'll see if he can sustain it now for the next decade, though.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

I’m mistaken I didn’t realize his salary was as low as it was. I still would have rather exposed him to the draft /traded him than keep him

Building a team that’s good year in and year out like chuck has is great but they’ve lacked depth and that shows with their playoff record .

I'm mistaken I didn't realize his salary was as low as it was. I still would have rather exposed him to the draft /traded him than keep him

Building a team that's good year in and year out like chuck has is great but they've lacked depth and that shows with their playoff record .

I like Dumba. I liked Reilly. I liked Scandella. Both Scandella and Reilly would have been welcomed once Suter went down.

There is only so much cap space though.

The playoff system is weird though. The Wild had the 8th (in the entire league) record so under the old system they should have opened with home ice advantage against Anaheim. Jets are formidable and under this new system even though they had the 2nd best record they'll possibly meet the 1st in Nashville in the second round.

It might not have mattered once Suter when down but at least we would have had home ice against Anaheim.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Bruins gettin' it done.

Not quite yet. Even though I'd like to see Rask win the Cup, there's a slight chance I'd want the rat not to win one even more. Hopefully the Leafs will prevail.

Calvert scored a beauty last night from a breakaway but man, Backstrom's first goal was bad, Columbus really didn't need that one. They also have their work cut out now.

I like Dumba. I liked Reilly. I liked Scandella. Both Scandella and Reilly would have been welcomed once Suter went down.

There is only so much cap space though.

The playoff system is weird though. The Wild had the 8th (in the entire league) record so under the old system they should have opened with home ice advantage against Anaheim. Jets are formidable and under this new system even though they had the 2nd best record they'll possibly meet the 1st in Nashville in the second round.

It might not have mattered once Suter when down but at least we would have had home ice against Anaheim.

Playoff system is a joke don't get me started I would be pissed if I was Minny or Toronto

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62