Face Balanced -> Toe Hang: Possibilities/Options?

vokiedokie

Hi fam,

Recently picked up a Scotty Cameron Futura 5W and, for those who may not know, it's a face balanced mallet putter. I definitely favor a bit more toe hang because of the arc in my putting stroke, but I'm not entirely sure what the best way to address this is. It's also sitting at 35" (I went longer thinking I can always cut it down).

All in all, I was hoping to get some guidance or feedback on my options/what the effects of the following might be:

1. Custom shaft/welding job to get the toe hang I need

2. Bending the shaft to get the toe hang I need

3. Cutting down from 35" -> 34"

Thanks!

**EDIT**

I know this won't be helpful for those who come here trying to find the solution to my original question, but after much consideration I actually returned my 5W for a Newport 2 @ 34". To plumber neck and the shortened length feel much better.

I was against blades because I felt they were too light (I was using a 29-year-old Ping Anser for reference), but the Newport 2 with the double 15g weights really helps.

A HUGE thank you to everyone who responded!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about tinkering with the weights before you butcher a scotty?

Remove the heel weight and see if you get the toe hang you like. Can also order a heavier and lighter weight, toss the heavy in the toe and light in the heel.

You won't get a crazy drastic toe hang but better than full face balanced.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Remove the heel weight and see if you get the toe hang you like. Can also order a heavier and lighter weight, toss the heavy in the toe and light in the heel.

Thanks for the insight - yeah, dude, I for sure don't want to butcher a Scotty.. that's the last thing I want, haha. But yeah, I haven't really considered tinkering with the sole weights—that's a good idea.

For full transparency, I'm also still trying to hone my stroke since I've been on and off with hand-me-downs and have been pretty inconsistent due to compensating for whichever of the 3 putters I have from my father or brother.

Do you think I should stray away from cutting the length, too?

Cutting the length down from the butt end will have no impact on toe hang. If you pull the shaft and cut from the tip end, however, that will alter things...but I wouldn't recommend it as a DIY unless you know exactly where to cut it and exactly what offset/toe hang the cut will produce.

Why not get fitted before altering the putter? That should give you more insight on if you'd benefit from toe hang and how much you need.

Thanks for the insight - yeah, dude, I for sure don't want to butcher a Scotty.. that's the last thing I want, haha. But yeah, I haven't really considered tinkering with the sole weights—that's a good idea.

For full transparency, I'm also still trying to hone my stroke since I've been on and off with hand-me-downs and have been pretty inconsistent due to compensating for whichever of the 3 putters I have from my father or brother.

Yeah avoid doing any major changed to the club. Tinkering with the weights and adding lead tape can get what you want.

Also cutting down to 34" won't do anything either.

Really the easiest thing if you want a toe hang putter buy a toe hang putter, if you want a mallet toe hang search for one or get one custom made.

The best thing is go get a fitting, bring in this putter, see if it works for you if not keep it or move on and get what works for you.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Cutting the length down from the butt end will have no impact on toe hang. If you pull the shaft and cut from the tip end, however, that will alter things...but I wouldn't recommend it as a DIY unless you know exactly where to cut it and exactly what offset/toe hang the cut will produce.

Why not get fitted before altering the putter? That should give you more insight on if you'd benefit from toe hang and how much you need.

Oh, shoot, I probably should have been more clear, haha. The length of the putter was a separate topic. That wasn't for the toe hang "issue". I just always choke up a bit on my grip so was thinking about shaving down to 34".

Yeah avoid doing any major changed to the club. Tinkering with the weights and adding lead tape can get what you want.

Really the easiest thing if you want a toe hang putter buy a toe hang putter, if you want a mallet toe hang search for one or get one custom made.

The best thing is go get a fitting, bring in this putter, see if it works for you if not keep it or move on and get what works for you.

Yeah, I definitely wasn't being clear, haha! The length of the putter was an unrelated topic to the toe hang. I was actually trying to figure out if cutting an inch off the length would screw stuff up big time or if it would be marginal.

Like, would a 35" 5W cut down to 34" be the same as a stock 34" 5W?

Yeah, I definitely wasn't being clear, haha! The length of the putter was an unrelated topic to the toe hang. I was actually trying to figure out if cutting an inch off the length would screw stuff up big time or if it would be marginal.

Yeah would be the same.

Taking a putter down an inch you won't notice much, say you take it down to 32" then the swing weight changes.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Yeah would be the same.

Taking a putter down an inch you won't notice much, say you take it down to 32" then the swing weight changes.

Much appreciated!

^ Only difference will be the feeling of the weight of the head. Generally SCs have the lightest weights in the 35", then lighter weights in the 34", then the lightest in 33". So the head will feel heavier than it was intended from SC if you trim the shaft, not that that matters to you, you may prefer the heavier weight. I went from 10g weights to 20g weights in my 35" SC.

Just thought I would mention that in case you didnt know. If your putter has 10g weights, had you bought it new at a 34" length, it would have likely had 15g weights installed from factory. No big deal, they are interchangeable for that reason, just saying it might feel a touch different when you trim it, but if you play it choked down anyways already, prob wont even notice the difference.

And lots of guys have had their Futuras customized to a flow neck with a straight shaft to allow for more tow hang ( ie Justin Thomas). But depending on the budget you have for it, might be best off selling it and buying one better suited to your stroke.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

^ Only difference will be the feeling of the weight of the head. Generally SCs have the lightest weights in the 35", then lighter weights in the 34", then the lightest in 33". So the head will feel heavier than it was intended from SC if you trim the shaft, not that that matters to you, you may prefer the heavier weight. I went from 10g weights to 20g weights in my 35" SC.

Just thought I would mention that in case you didnt know. If your putter has 10g weights, had you bought it new at a 34" length, it would have likely had 15g weights installed from factory. No big deal, they are interchangeable for that reason, just saying it might feel a touch different when you trim it, but if you play it choked down anyways already, prob wont even notice the difference.

And lots of guys have had their Futuras customized to a flow neck with a straight shaft to allow for more tow hang ( ie Justin Thomas). But depending on the budget you have for it, might be best off selling it and buying one better suited to your stroke.

Appreciate the insight! Yeah, I choke down a solid 1.5-2" when I take my grip so I was just curious if I should be playing a 34" or just choke down on the 35" — sounds like it's the "same difference."

Who am I kidding, let me wait for some nice weather to actually see how I'm putting and I'll get back to y'all, haha.

Cheapest and easiest way to add toe hang to any putter with a single or double

bend shaft is to tip trim the shaft...

All the Scotty putters I have with that type shaft , have at least 1" of parallel

tip area that can be trimmed without changing the tip diameter...

Here is the how to do it.... Leave grip on , heat and pull shaft , then tip a bit

at a time ( suggest .250" ) and dry fit using the grip to face alignment to make

sure shaft is properly aligned. Check toe hang by balancing on your finger , and

if you want to test, get it snug ( sometimes a little thread is needed ) and roll

a few balls. Tip a little each time until the desired toe hang is achieved.

Usually some where in the 3:30 to 4:00 toe hang range , you will notice a difference. When it is time to reglue , prep well , and put it back together .

Be sure to get the grip to face alignment as it was before the pull. Loft angle

will be changed if not done properly.

When the putter is at rest in your stance and you normally grab the grip, the upper hand should dictate the length of your putter which normally is half an inch more. This I take is what you refer to “as choke 1.5-2 inches” which translate to a 33.5 or 34. As for weight I think standard for 35 is 330g, 34 at 340, 33 at 350 ... since you want a toe heavy head you will have to add a heavier weight on the toe as advice earlier. How heavy a toe (5g...)or putter standard (340, 350g) is up to you.

Cheapest and easiest way to add toe hang to any putter with a single or double

bend shaft is to tip trim the shaft...

All the Scotty putters I have with that type shaft , have at least 1" of parallel

tip area that can be trimmed without changing the tip diameter...

Here is the how to do it.... Leave grip on , heat and pull shaft , then tip a bit

at a time ( suggest .250" ) and dry fit using the grip to face alignment to make

sure shaft is properly aligned. Check toe hang by balancing on your finger , and

if you want to test get it snug ( sometimes a little thread is needed ) and roll

a few balls. Tip a little each time until the desired toe hang is achieved.

Usually some where in the 3:30 to 4:00 toe hang range , you will notice a difference. When it is time to reglue , prep well , and put it back together .

Be sure to get the grip to face alignment as it was before the pull. Loft angle

will be changed if not done properly.

I can't even begin to tell you how unqualified and ill-prepared I am/would be to undertake such a project, haha! But thanks so much for the help—if I do pull the trigger in getting some work done, I'll definitely be referring to this as a guide.

Adding/removing weight won't do much to toe hang, I've tried. "Easiest" way would be to tip trim the shaft... but then you start messing with the lie angle and offset on double bend shafts. IMO, just sell the Futura and buy something like a #7 with the slant neck. If that's TOO much hang... then you're now probably talking a different shape altogether (to find the putter with the "proper amount" of toe hang) or custom putters.

I'm sure there's some wacky custom Futura on eBay for $5k though with a welded neck that would fit your needs.

When the putter is at rest in your stance and you normally grab the grip, the upper hand should dictate the length of your putter which normally is half an inch more. This I take is what you refer to "as choke 1.5-2 inches" which translate to a 33.5 or 34. As for weight I think standard for 35 is 330g, 34 at 340, 33 at 350 ... since you want a toe heavy head you will have to add a heavier weight on the toe as advice earlier. How heavy a toe (5g...)or putter standard (340, 350g) is up to you.

Thanks! Yeah, the there's about 1.5-2" difference between the butt end of the grip and my top hand. I'll definitely be keeping this in mind in the event I cut the shaft down. Appreciate it!

Adding/removing weight won't do much to toe hang, I've tried. "Easiest" way would be to tip trim the shaft... but then you start messing with the lie angle and offset on double bend shafts. IMO, just sell the Futura and buy something like a #7 with the slant neck. If that's TOO much hang... then you're now probably talking a different shape altogether (to find the putter with the "proper amount" of toe hang) or custom putters.

I'm sure there's some wacky custom Futura on eBay for $5k though with a welded neck that would fit your needs.

Yeah, definitely considered the #7S in the waaaay beginning. Thanks for the input! I'm probably going to wait until my putting stroke has matured and is more consistent. I've been using a wide array of putters that my brother and dad had lying around, so I definitely have work to do with really tuning my mechanics. The feel of the putter is great and I also forgot to mention to everyone else that I also had a habit of lining the ball way up to the front of my stance when I was trying to fix some issues.

Just a heads up, ended up returning and picking up a Newport 2! Long story short, it solved my problems -- thanks!