UK Classic Club Thread - John Letters, Ben Sayers, Slazenger, Dunlop, George Nicoll, Swilken, Petron

Just had these Slazenger Peter Alliss irons delivered (ebay), pinned heads so I’m guessing 1960s.

I’m curious about the shafts though as I’ve not seen them before and wondered if anyone had any information on them?

They’re called “Timeflex”, at first I thought they must be a senior flex but they feel not too different from a regular (these are Timeflex 2 so I’m guessing regular?).

Looking at them they have a rapid step down pattern but this happens at a different point depending on the iron, short iron close to the grip, the longer the iron the further down the shaft it goes as per picture below, if you can make it out.

I'm guessing that that would make the shorter irons softer and the longer irons stiffer?

exmyg1nvzhfw.png

2j2g6jk216tb.png

75j69ypv61u5.png

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

Can't help you with the shafts, Jiggered, but I wanted to ask you about the Alliss iron with the back facing us. Is it underslung like the Hogan irons, or is it a trick of the light? It looks to be ever so slightly underslung, but the iron next to it doesn't.

Also, I only just noticed, but from the pictures, those Penfold irons appear to have quite a bit of bounce on the sole? Is that right?

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> Can't help you with the shafts, Jiggered, but I wanted to ask you about the Alliss iron with the back facing us. Is it underslung like the Hogan irons, or is it a trick of the light? It looks to be ever so slightly underslung, but the iron next to it doesn't.

> Also, I only just noticed, but from the pictures, those Penfold irons appear to have quite a bit of bounce on the sole? Is that right?

>

Not sure what you mean by underslung, do you mean metal removed from the back of the hosel in line with the head?

If so then it's a trick of the light, what looks to be a shadow on the right of the hosel is actually the hosel.

As for the Penfolds, there's a slight curvature on the sole rather than being flat.

> @Jiggered said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > Can't help you with the shafts, Jiggered, but I wanted to ask you about the Alliss iron with the back facing us. Is it underslung like the Hogan irons, or is it a trick of the light? It looks to be ever so slightly underslung, but the iron next to it doesn't.

> > Also, I only just noticed, but from the pictures, those Penfold irons appear to have quite a bit of bounce on the sole? Is that right?

> >

>

> Not sure what you mean by underslung, do you mean metal removed from the back of the hosel in line with the head?

> If so then it's a trick of the light, what looks to be a shadow on the right of the hosel is actually the hosel.

>

> As for the Penfolds, there's a slight curvature on the sole rather than being flat.

That's what I meant. I think a lot of Hogan irons went for the underslung look (though my Apex '72s don't have it, or if so only very slightly; see pic). There's only a tiny curvature at the hosel, or may be I'm even imagining it.

With your irons, I did think it might be a trick of the light as the other iron wasn't showing it.

Apex '72:

vzsrgy9lmsye.jpg

> @Jiggered said:

> Just had these Slazenger Peter Alliss irons delivered (ebay), pinned heads so I’m guessing 1960s.

>

> I’m curious about the shafts though as I’ve not seen them before and wondered if anyone had any information on them?

> They’re called “Timeflex”, at first I thought they must be a senior flex but they feel not too different from a regular (these are Timeflex 2 so I’m guessing regular?).

> Looking at them they have a rapid step down pattern but this happens at a different point depending on the iron, short iron close to the grip, the longer the iron the further down the shaft it goes as per picture below, if you can make it out.

> I'm guessing that that would make the shorter irons softer and the longer irons stiffer?

Can't help with the shaft, but here is an ad from 1970 with your clubs.

![](https://i.imgur.com/0g9o7JA.png "")

> @DM70 said:

> > @Jiggered said:

> > Just had these Slazenger Peter Alliss irons delivered (ebay), pinned heads so I’m guessing 1960s.

> >

> > I’m curious about the shafts though as I’ve not seen them before and wondered if anyone had any information on them?

> > They’re called “Timeflex”, at first I thought they must be a senior flex but they feel not too different from a regular (these are Timeflex 2 so I’m guessing regular?).

> > Looking at them they have a rapid step down pattern but this happens at a different point depending on the iron, short iron close to the grip, the longer the iron the further down the shaft it goes as per picture below, if you can make it out.

> > I'm guessing that that would make the shorter irons softer and the longer irons stiffer?

>

> Can't help with the shaft, but here is an ad from 1970 with your clubs.

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/0g9o7JA.png "")

>

>

>

>

Thanks DM70!

The bottom club is the Peter Alliss, you can see the closer steps on the shaft, as they're nearer to the grip this must be a short iron.

• 3 weeks later...

The UK's answer to the Cleveland VAS; the Bronty Rustler-AS.

Not as "colourful" as the VAS but a proper hickory era, anti-shank style hosel, unplayed by the looks of them.

Impressively there's even a 2 iron!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bronty-Rustler-Graphite-Full-Iron-Set-And-STRATA-Golf-Bag/323920874876?hash=item4b6b304d7c:g:Q58AAOSwCSpdcML8

whjmd214hvsh.png

> @Jiggered said:

> The UK's answer to the Cleveland VAS; the Bronty Rustler-AS.

> Not as "colourful" as the VAS but a proper hickory era, anti-shank style hosel, unplayed by the looks of them.

> Impressively there's even a 2 iron!

>

> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bronty-Rustler-Graphite-Full-Iron-Set-And-STRATA-Golf-Bag/323920874876?hash=item4b6b304d7c:g:Q58AAOSwCSpdcML8

>

> whjmd214hvsh.png

>

>

I gave that a "like" but I want to go on record as not liking the clubs themselves but rather that you tracked down a set and bought them.

I think in the Bronty line up, these were not so much the Wuthering Heights or Jane Eyre model, but more the Agnes Grey set.*

*Yes, I know the Bronty spelling is different, but close enough.

>

> I gave that a "like" but I want to go on record as not liking the clubs themselves but rather that you tracked down a set and bought them.

> I think in the Bronty line up, these were not so much the Wuthering Heights or Jane Eyre model, but more the Agnes Grey set.*

>

> *Yes, I know the Bronty spelling is different, but close enough.

I didn't actually buy them, as much as I'd have liked to, just for the curiosity value.

Two things put me off:

1 - Graphite shafts in irons.

2 - The £120 price tag!

> @Jiggered said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

>

>

>

> >

> > I gave that a "like" but I want to go on record as not liking the clubs themselves but rather that you tracked down a set and bought them.

> > I think in the Bronty line up, these were not so much the Wuthering Heights or Jane Eyre model, but more the Agnes Grey set.*

> >

> > *Yes, I know the Bronty spelling is different, but close enough.

>

> I didn't actually buy them, as much as I'd have liked to, just for the curiosity value.

> Two things put me off:

> 1 - Graphite shafts in irons.

> 2 - The £120 price tag!

That's really quite a price for them. Collector value?

But, hey, nice looking grips!

> > @Jiggered said:

> > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> >

> >

> >

> > >

> > > I gave that a "like" but I want to go on record as not liking the clubs themselves but rather that you tracked down a set and bought them.

> > > I think in the Bronty line up, these were not so much the Wuthering Heights or Jane Eyre model, but more the Agnes Grey set.*

> > >

> > > *Yes, I know the Bronty spelling is different, but close enough.

> >

> > I didn't actually buy them, as much as I'd have liked to, just for the curiosity value.

> > Two things put me off:

> > 1 - Graphite shafts in irons.

> > 2 - The £120 price tag!

>

> That's really quite a price for them. Collector value?

> But, hey, nice looking grips!

>

Collector market in the UK is pretty limited and these aren't very old clubs, rare though they may be, their value I'd say is low.

The seller will be lucky to get £25 all in, in fact I think I'll offer that, probably get some abuse in return! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

> @skajaquada77 said:

> Hey anybody has any info on these back in the UK? Old magazines, ads, catalogs? Never seen these Slazengers before

>

>

They're really nice.

Not seen them before either, maybe from one of Slazenger's overseas factories, did they have a factory in South Africa?

> @Jiggered said:

> > @skajaquada77 said:

> > Hey anybody has any info on these back in the UK? Old magazines, ads, catalogs? Never seen these Slazengers before

> >

> >

>

> They're really nice.

> Not seen them before either, maybe from one of Slazenger's overseas factories, did they have a factory in South Africa?

Nothing to add, but that's a really nice muscle design.

> > @Jiggered said:

> > > @skajaquada77 said:

> > > Hey anybody has any info on these back in the UK? Old magazines, ads, catalogs? Never seen these Slazengers before

> > >

> > >

> >

> > They're really nice.

> > Not seen them before either, maybe from one of Slazenger's overseas factories, did they have a factory in South Africa?

>

> Nothing to add, but that's a really nice muscle design.

Just played a round with them and they feel great. Love stainless. Do you guys have any connection or know of anybody still selling Slazenger authentic grips from back in the day? I now have 3 sets of Slazenger irons from the 70-80 era and would love to them grips from those days that might be in decent shape.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got these from ebay, courtesy of Stixman who tipped me off that they were for sale.

Slazenger Tournament Model irons, 2 to 9, plus a Slazenger Peter Alliss wedge and a Gradidge Bobby Locke Sandmaster.

Serial numbers are feint but appear to match and are 00003. As expected the shafts aren't great with some chrome loss but seem sound otherwise. The heads are in decent shape apart from top-line battering where they've been repeatedly dropped back in the bag.

Shown in the 1956/1957 PGCA Catalogue as below.

vaiwmcyuough.png

b2d13g8ln9od.png

qbz6ypaatbo7.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Latest win on ebay, a set of Craigton "Royal Gold" irons, 3 to 10 + SW.

Craigton was created in 1966 by John Letters after he left the John Letters company and these along with the "Classic" (also shown below) were the first two models they produced, retailing at £5 13s & 2d per iron. I'd never seen an example of either of them before so when I spotted these I had to bid.

I thought I'd got lucky with the ferrules as I was unwrapping them (the ebay picture was just the tops of the clubs) but the 3 and 4 are damaged but look repairable.

Have to say I'm pretty pleased with them now I've got them!

00OANWISO5FU.png

A586E49I2H0J.png

6PYCD3BXDAQA.png

I'm not sure exactly what year the Trilogy came out but they were a graduated set with cavity back long irons going shallower through to the short irons, pic below, not my clubs.

They were obviously successful for John Letters as they brought out several variations over the following years.

Trilogy, Trilogy T3 Plus, Trilogy TX, Trilogy THD, Trilogy 2000, and Trilogy 2000 Oversize are the ones I've seen pictures of.

P73JYADRGFUA.png

• 1 month later...

Just picked these up by Birmingham based maker Sparkbrook Golf, "Sparco" on the clubs. They advertised heavily in UK golf magazines during the 1960s, particularly for their polymer headed woods (which I've seen a few examples of as well as owning a set) but I've never seen any of their irons before.

These are called Cypress Point USA Model, I'm pretty certain that they were made in the UK (stainless steel cast heads) and just using the USA Model name for some glamour but thought I'd ask if any of our American friends recognised the head?

Also included were 1B and a 4B persimmon woods.

U6O9IMT6H6M3.png

TW1UACQYYUTL.png

OZJ3O81BYA6J.png

FNBLL7H0OV85.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It's been a while since I posted anything new, damned Coronavirus!

Got these yesterday, Slazenger Gary Player, circa 1962.

Irons are 2 to SW, I like that even the shaft bands are "signed"!

Persimmon 1, 2 & 3 woods, unusual in that the 1 & 2 woods are black but the 3 wood is a dark brown.

All ferrules are marked "152" as are the wood soles so I assume that this was a matching set.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• 3 weeks later...

many thanks for the posts on palakona, I am at present writing an article on the dating of Hardy of Alnwick bamboo clubs, and was very interested in the potential of 1930s shafts still being available in the late 1990s. Are there anymore details that can be shared please? I attach a shaft photo and a Jack white palakona putter photo for those who maybe interested.

x-whpy.png

j-white-putter-a.jpg

Took delivery of these today, Forgan Power-Pakt "American Model".

2 to 10 plus putter, nice original leather grips too.

The only downer is that they're 1" long, I'll just have to grip down a bit and aim slightly right!

image.png

image.png

image.png