2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

UK Classic Club Thread - John Letters, Ben Sayers, Slazenger, Dunlop, George Nicoll, Swilken, Petron

I did some repping for them in the mid '90s just before they went bust. Wally Hanson, one of the surviving founding partners was still selling Bronty flagged gear from his house in Pudsey until very recently.

They were not knowledgeable in golf to start with anyway. The Bronty Chipmaster was named after Chippy, a pet dog!

Edit, something else about the Chipmaster I remembered. The biggest sales went to the Middle East where they were deadly for shots off the desert scrub which would otherwise destroy a wood. Thus the use of the first Hybrid.

I remember the Bronty name, but I never knew they were based in Pudsey. That may explain why I saw a fair bit of their stuff in Bradford.

Funny place, Pudsey. Emotionally closer to Leeds, but Pudsey St Lawrence and Pudsey Congs (cricket) both play in the Bradford League.

I bet it was easy to 'cast' with those Palakoma shafts...

What a great name too,has more of a ring about it than Project X .....

Used to go to Pudsey for the arms and militaria fair.

It was also the home of John Longstaff an entrepreneur who created a very successful business in the gun trade of the 1980's and was found dead with his throat cut allegedly having committed suicide.

There were some strange goings-on around then,a member of the club where I shot and who was also in the trade was wired into a chair in his shop,doused in petrol and set on fire.

Somehow he managed to get out on to the street,survives although badly burned.

Very scary.

On a more cheerful note I bought these a couple of weeks ago,I really needed them as I only have three sets of Dunlop Bob Charles irons!

I had not seen this particular version before and it may be he best with an arched back pad similar to Wilson Staff and a smidge more offset which sits them nicely behind the ball.

• 4 weeks later...

After a bit of help please.

I'm looking at an old set of Slazenger Bobby Locke clubs but there are a couple of points that make me wonder if it's worth the 260 mile round trip to collect them.

Firstly the irons, they're numbered 3 to 8 plus W and S, I know this has been discussed before but roughly when did it become the norm to have a 9 iron in a set? These look to be 1950s in date.

Secondly the woods are persimmon and numbered in the normal way apart from the driver which is numbered 1L, could this be a ladies driver or does the L mean something else, low for instance?

The clubs are also stamped "ADL" one the back of the irons and soles of the woods, anybody any idea what date this set would be?

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

‘50s era, I’d be looking for a 9 iron. Set-matching W and S, I’d be looking for a 9 iron. Maybe there was a period in which this was more true of American clubs than British, but I have 1950s Slazenger Hogans that are consistent with those rules of thumb. I could be wrong, but I don’t think I’d drive 260m on the off-chance

'50s era, I'd be looking for a 9 iron. Set-matching W and S, I'd be looking for a 9 iron. Maybe there was a period in which this was more true of American clubs than British, but I have 1950s Slazenger Hogans that are consistent with those rules of thumb. I could be wrong, but I don't think I'd drive 260m on the off-chance

Thanks, that's my feeling as well.

To add a bit more to the confusion, I just found an advert in a 1956/57 catalogue which has Slazenger Bobby Locke clubs.

Bobby Locke Personal - 2 to 9 and double duty wedge and putter.

Bobby Locke - 2 to 8, wedgemaster, sandmaster and putter, hickory shafted putter also available.

Most of the other sets in the catalogue went 2 to 9, with even a set of 2 to 11 from George Nicoll, but there was one more that was 2 to 8, Ben Sayers Honor.

The set I'm looking at is 3 to 8, W & S, the plot thickens.....

Of course, as we more frequently have to remind ourselves when dealing with modern clubs, the number on the sole is irrelevant - what matters are the specs.

If there's any way of getting the lofts of the 7, 8 and W, then things might be a lot clearer as to whether there's a missing club. I don't know whether there's enough value in the set to warrant the seller going to any trouble - but if they have a tooled up pro shop or range nearby, they could maybe get the lofts measured before you make the trip.

Of course, as we more frequently have to remind ourselves when dealing with modern clubs, the number on the sole is irrelevant - what matters are the specs.

If there's any way of getting the lofts of the 7, 8 and W, then things might be a lot clearer as to whether there's a missing club. I don't know whether there's enough value in the set to warrant the seller going to any trouble - but if they have a tooled up pro shop or range nearby, they could maybe get the lofts measured before you make the trip.

Would be nice but I can't see that happening.

I might be able to get shaft length for 6, 7, 8 and wedge as a rough guide to see if they're consistent in gaps.

True. Although I've seen sets where the increment in length drops from 1/2" to 1/4" in the 8, 9 and W - which could screw you over here.

Is there anything special about the clubs you're interested in? I can't help thinking that £50 in petrol would go quite a long way in classic clubs. There's a nice set of '60s Dynapowers, 2 - SW, on the bay and the seller (not me!) has been struggling to sell them for £10 plus modest postage.

True. Although I've seen sets where the increment in length drops from 1/2" to 1/4" in the 8, 9 and W - which could screw you over here.

Is there anything special about the clubs you're interested in? I can't help thinking that £50 in petrol would go quite a long way in classic clubs. There's a nice set of '60s Dynapowers, 2 - SW, on the bay and the seller (not me!) has been struggling to sell them for £10 plus modest postage.

Nothing special, but they're in very good condition and UK clubs are my weakness.

Nice set of Dynapowers but they're a little bit gnarled, not that that ever stopped me.

Chris might be interested in his LH Ben Hogan Producer 4 - PW for the same £10 + £10 carriage.

There are some MGX MacGregors on offer as well, a European release?? Also a nice set of Slazenger Plus is available (how did they play, Jiggered?) and a set of 1967 Dynapower Adjustabacks.

Slazenger Plus were low cost models, like the Wilson Sam Snead. Perfectly usable clubs.

There were many Slazenger Plus models through the years, my set are the "International", they're a decent quality and play well, bottom right in the picture below.

I seem to remember that Slazenger + (Plus) was the upmarket section of their golf products,Slazenger Plus was their premier golf ball for many years and I watched Jim Rhodes of South Staffs practicing for a Midland Region PGA (early 80's) event with Slazenger Plus blades in his bag.

I have a lefty set of Slazenger Plus 'Jack Nicklaus' irons that I've played with and they are nice.

Slazenger Plus balls, from memory, were quite hard and not as expensive as the excellent B51.

I agree,the B51 was excellent,I think I still have (somewhere) one of Greg Norman's B51 practice balls given to me by Scotty Gilmour whose dad was Norman's caddie,Scotty had a bag full of them but they were not regular B51's but balata.

I used to joke about having one of Norman's balls in the palm of my hand,a few years later in '92 and '96,Sir Nick had both of them and gave them a good squeeze!

Probably more appropriate here than elsewhere,have any of you watched Liam Harrison's videos on YT under Golf Vlogs UK?

As a fan of old school British humour from Norman Wisdom to the Goons and Fawlty Towers (or was it Farty Towwels?) I had a good laugh watching his video;

HITLERS JUST FOUND OUT ABOUT GOLFMATES

Might raise a smile on a dreary afternoon....

Slazenger Plus balls, from memory, were quite hard and not as expensive as the excellent B51.

I quite liked the Slazenger balatas in the late Eighties. They had a cool dimple pattern, and if I remember correctly were ever so slightly cheaper than Titleist and Maxli balatas. Not too sure about that, though. I do remember buying them when I could.

Probably more appropriate here than elsewhere,have any of you watched Liam Harrison's videos on YT under Golf Vlogs UK?

As a fan of old school British humour from Norman Wisdom to the Goons and Fawlty Towers (or was it Farty Towwels?) I had a good laugh watching his video;

HITLERS JUST FOUND OUT ABOUT GOLFMATES

Might raise a smile on a dreary afternoon....

He was a bit behind the times with that, the same clip was used after the annual Golf Monthly *Old Farts vs Whippersnappers" match back in 2016.

(I'm sorry to say that the Old Farts lost as can be seen in the video, but am pleased to report that we won it in 2017 and 2018.)

Just won this little beauty to go with the set of irons I won earlier this year, I like to have a matching putter if possible.

(And Chris122, what is it that's said about the number of putters a man owns?)

I dont know anything about these so i thought I'd check with you fine gentlemen here in this interesting thread. I picked up these Ben Sayers "Shadow Lite" forged blades with Accles+Pollock Shadow Lite shafts today.  They are in very good condition but need the usual grip replacements.  The set came with a Ben Sayers Rite-Line 4 putter as well. 

Anyone know anything about these?  Years made?  Are they a reasonable iron?  What is up with the C3 swing weights?  I do like how the putter rolls...

I dont know anything about these so i thought I'd check with you fine gentlemen here in this interesting thread. I picked up these Ben Sayers "Shadow Lite" forged blades with Accles+Pollock Shadow Lite shafts today. They are in very good condition but need the usual grip replacements. The set came with a Ben Sayers Rite-Line 4 putter as well.

Anyone know anything about these? Years made? Are they a reasonable iron? What is up with the C3 swing weights? I do like how the putter rolls...

The backs look very similar to a set of Sayers Ray Floyd irons I have although the faces are different.

http://www.golfwrx.c...st__p__16975316

Maybe the head design was used on these clubs after the Ray Floyd deal expired?

The Shadow-Lite name suggests that they're intended to have a lighter weight, maybe they were aimed at the senior or ladies market?

The Slazenger Balata was made in the same factory as Maxfli Great balls. I still have a couple stashed away. The Shadow Lite would be Ben Sayers model when the planet went daft for very lightweight mens' clubs. Bristol Golf anyone? I know Mizuno did a model and so did some other makers. Swingweights c6-c9 for mens' clubs...a passing fad.

After a bit of help please.

I'm looking at an old set of Slazenger Bobby Locke clubs but there are a couple of points that make me wonder if it's worth the 260 mile round trip to collect them.

Firstly the irons, they're numbered 3 to 8 plus W and S, I know this has been discussed before but roughly when did it become the norm to have a 9 iron in a set? These look to be 1950s in date.

Secondly the woods are persimmon and numbered in the normal way apart from the driver which is numbered 1L, could this be a ladies driver or does the L mean something else, low for instance?

The clubs are also stamped "ADL" one the back of the irons and soles of the woods, anybody any idea what date this set would be?

"Stamped ADL" .......... as in Arthur D'Arcy Locke? Could these be one of his own sets?