2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

UK Classic Club Thread - John Letters, Ben Sayers, Slazenger, Dunlop, George Nicoll, Swilken, Petron

Tantallon Road North Berwick,what a great town!

I fancied walking to see Tantallon castle but ended up on the top of Berwick Law instead,awesome view!

The Swilken putter is indeed a Gem,I've never seen a lefty one although I did have a lefty Benny (it was crap) it's failure may not be all down to you Jiggered.

Always good having a few spare utility clubs and yes,you can never have too many putters!

Nice post Jiggered.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a shame but the Histooric Golf Day at Clitheroe has been abandoned due to lack of support.

I believe there are enough of us to organise a day for the people we know and can generate enough enthusiasm to drag in a few additonal players to make it work and grow.

What do you think, UK guys? The Clitheroe event was only promoted through the BGCS, probably not quite the motivation and firepower necessary.

It's a shame but the Histooric Golf Day at Clitheroe has been abandoned due to lack of support.

I believe there are enough of us to organise a day for the people we know and can generate enough enthusiasm to drag in a few additonal players to make it work and grow.

What do you think, UK guys? The Clitheroe event was only promoted through the BGCS, probably not quite the motivation and firepower necessary.

A great pity, I was looking forward to this one.

I'm sure we can sort a day between us, but might be tricky as we're thinly spread around the country, perhaps a northern and a southern could be sorted?

I've been offered up to 7 places at Pannal GC on a Sunday at £15 per person, anybody interested?

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

Well, bringing the thread almost full circle back to the beginning (or page 1 at least!) I picked up a set of John Letters Fred Daly irons yesterday, 2 to 9 iron and an unmarked wedge that has the bounce of a sand iron, not sure if this is as it was made or somebody has adjusted it at a later date.

They're not in as good a shape as those of pdgolferman and don't appear to have the Delafit hosel.

Grips are all Avon, including the putter, with a reminder ridge on the back apart from the 2 iron which has a nice original leather John Letters.

All are two shamrocks except for the wedge which has three.

In my eagerness to see how they performed I took them out this evening and have to say they played very nicely, bar a couple of screaming shanks.

The putter in the picture below is also a John Letters with the Swilken Bridge cleek mark, this was a strange one as I either seemed to stroke the putt beautifully or make a complete mess of it, I think I need to accurately locate the sweet spot before going out with it again.

Super clubs, the Mk1 version. These were my first clubs, well, the first proper set. My father bought them 2nd hand in Windsor market in 1959 for £5. There was no sand wedge. In fact, we didn't use sand wedges then, I didn't own one for another 5 years.

I now have a set of Mk2s, the Fred Daly ones with 'Styled in Scotland' indicating the heads were actually made in England at Alston in Cumbria.

Super clubs, the Mk1 version. These were my first clubs, well, the first proper set. My father bought them 2nd hand in Windsor market in 1959 for £5. There was no sand wedge. In fact, we didn't use sand wedges then, I didn't own one for another 5 years.

I now have a set of Mk2s, the Fred Daly ones with 'Styled in Scotland' indicating the heads were actually made in England at Alston in Cumbria.

Good move on your dad's part. Reading some of the other thrift threads here, it seems like some folk would balk at paying that now for a decent set of used clubs, never mind the inflation adjusted figure.

I went years without a proper sand wedge too. But then, given the state of the bunkers where and when I was learning (not a rake in sight), this may have been a blessing.

Well, bringing the thread almost full circle back to the beginning (or page 1 at least!) I picked up a set of John Letters Fred Daly irons yesterday, 2 to 9 iron and an unmarked wedge that has the bounce of a sand iron, not sure if this is as it was made or somebody has adjusted it at a later date.

They're not in as good a shape as those of pdgolferman and don't appear to have the Delafit hosel.

Grips are all Avon, including the putter, with a reminder ridge on the back apart from the 2 iron which has a nice original leather John Letters.

All are two shamrocks except for the wedge which has three.

In my eagerness to see how they performed I took them out this evening and have to say they played very nicely, bar a couple of screaming shanks.

The putter in the picture below is also a John Letters with the Swilken Bridge cleek mark, this was a strange one as I either seemed to stroke the putt beautifully or make a complete mess of it, I think I need to accurately locate the sweet spot before going out with it again.

The length of that hosel on the sand iron.... :shok:

Good move on your dad's part. Reading some of the other thrift threads here, it seems like some folk would balk at paying that now for a decent set of used clubs, never mind the inflation adjusted figure.

I went years without a proper sand wedge too. But then, given the state of the bunkers where and when I was learning (not a rake in sight), this may have been a blessing.

That was what the metal-spiked golf shoe was for!

For some reason, people kept stealing the rakes on the course I grew up playing. The rakes weren't anything special, either. Usually had a broken wooden handle with a cheap plastic head that was missing half the teeth. Even then, people would hop over the wall and steal them.

LoL. That's exactly how I remember it. Except that the snaggle-toothed plastic rakes were a rare treat when we went elsewhere for posh golf!

I remember the crusty head greenkeeper wondering what the people stealing these rakes were using them for. I think it must have been like students nicking road cones. It's not the need for the object, but the act of taking it that's important.

I forgot to say I also got an old trolley, something I've been trying to find for a while to complete the vintage look.

It's a "Caddylac" from some time around 1950 I'd guess, from the same seller as the above Fred Daly irons so probably contemporary. The tyres look a little tired but other than that it's not in bad condition.

Would York hold any appeal for a classic competition?

My old club,Heworth is a nice,tree lined course,not too long but a very good test,11 holes so the last seven are played off different tees.

Good road and rail links and plentiful distractions for the non-golfing members of the family which is always helpful.

I'll put my neck on the line and say that if enough people are seriously interested and can give an idea of when would be ideal,I'll do the organising.

Generally weekends will be a non-starter because of competitions,September better than October.

Either post on here or pm and I'll start enquiries.

I forgot to say I also got an old trolley, something I've been trying to find for a while to complete the vintage look.

It's a "Caddylac" from some time around 1950 I'd guess, from the same seller as the above Fred Daly irons so probably contemporary. The tyres look a little tired but other than that it's not in bad condition.

Don't you mean they look a little 'tyred'......both knackered and narrow LOL

My old club,Heworth is a nice,tree lined course,not too long but a very good test,11 holes so the last seven are played off different tees.

Good road and rail links and plentiful distractions for the non-golfing members of the family which is always helpful.

I'll put my neck on the line and say that if enough people are seriously interested and can give an idea of when would be ideal,I'll do the organising.

Generally weekends will be a non-starter because of competitions,September better than October.

I'd be interested Chris,

Did you see my earlier post about Pannal GC near Harrogate? Post #393.

Would you be able to get across for that? I was also thinking September time!

£5?

I paid twice that!

I guess that's inflation for you.

Did you say that these dated from the late 1940s Chris?

A great pity, I was looking forward to this one.

I'm sure we can sort a day between us, but might be tricky as we're thinly spread around the country, perhaps a northern and a southern could be sorted?

I've been offered up to 7 places at Pannal GC on a Sunday at £15 per person, anybody interested?

I can get to Pannal, it's about an hour + 50 from Morecambe. A PM time would be good. There's a few who the BGCS/ Clitheroe admin. might not have reached, do you need any suggestions?

£5?

I paid twice that!

I guess that's inflation for you.

Did you say that these dated from the late 1940s Chris?

I think 1948, I'm pretty sure they were around for the 1949 Ryder Cup at Ganton. Geoff will know for sure.

Story goes, you've probably heard it before, that Dai Rees and Fred Daly were in America in 1947 after Fred's Open win at Hoylake and were impressed with the Mac Tommy Armour Silver Scots, the Neutralizer model. They persuaded John Letters to make something similar, only better, and these Master Models were the result.

Of course the Americans of the time said they were copies and they were, up to a point. But then, the Neutralizers were copies of an Ayres model, the DB Brand in stainless and hickory from the previous decade.

I can get to Pannal, it's about an hour + 50 from Morecambe. A PM time would be good. There's a few who the BGCS/ Clitheroe admin. might not have reached, do you need any suggestions?

That's good Chris, the 2nd or the 16th September have been suggested, I can do either of those.

Looking at the Pannal website the 2nd has a Junior competition between 11 and 12 and a cross country event at 4.00 which will probably impact on most of the course.

The 16th looks a better bet with another Junior competition between 11.00 and 12.00 but nothing after that so we could look at tee times after 12.30

If you could alert or give me the details of anybody else who might be interested that would be good, there's a chance I could get some more tee times if needed but the sooner I know the better.

I'd be interested Chris,

Did you see my earlier post about Pannal GC near Harrogate? Post #393.

Would you be able to get across for that? I was also thinking September time!

No,would like to but cannot get there.

To avoid confusion between the Chris's,probably better to pm me indicating interest in a possible Heworth,York persimmon/blades encounter.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if I'm being a bit premature posting this one but hey, the thread is sliding so far down the board!

An AG Spalding & Bros putter, correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that the anvil cleek mark places it as being from Dysart, Scotland?

A coated black steel shaft with what looks to be a leather wrap grip, and a favourite feature of mine on ealry putters, the word "putter" stamped on the bottom just in case anybody is in any doubt.

Thank you,as a fan of Gene 'The Squire' Sarazen and to help with my ongoing foot/knee problem the seat stick has been useful both as an aid to walking and a chance to rest aching joints while others dither with rangefinder/trolley/buggy/which day of the week it is.

The putter is not especially rare,it has a hickory shaft,I recycled a Nicoll leather grip for it,lefty versions are more unusual and I intend to use it tomorrow in the Seniors Academy Course Championship,two laps of the 9-hole short course.

I decided on an all British bag,Mills putter,Letters Master Model irons,wood tbc,either Nicoll,Auchterlonie or Sparco and I have some NOS Slazenger +1 1.68 wound,liquid centre balls to complete the kit.

In case the markings on the putter and stick are not readily legible they are connected by the name Mills,an industrialist and designer who not only produced these but probably most famously the Mills grenade which served the British and Commonwealth military for many years.

I first encountered them in my 'Commando' comics and later at school in the Cadet Corp we had inert Mills no.36 grenades to train with but I never tried pulling a pin with my teeth like in all the comics and movies!

Great reminders of our industrial and sporting heritage.

Is that yours Chris?

Nice but I have avoided adjustable seat sticks after witnessing one 'adjust' itself while the owner was seated,he went the proverbial arse over t** and landed on his side-by-side sporting gun and cracked the wrist of the stock which caused me a deal of merriment as he was not taking 'sporting' birds but those low enough to have hit with a badminton racket.

Driven game shooting was not a regular pastime just a couple of invitations per season,nice to have birdies that roast or casserole well,served up with buttery mash and peas...

Is that yours Chris?

Nice but I have avoided adjustable seat sticks after witnessing one 'adjust' itself while the owner was seated,he went the proverbial arse over t** and landed on his side-by-side sporting gun and cracked the wrist of the stock which caused me a deal of merriment as he was not taking 'sporting' birds but those low enough to have hit with a badminton racket.

Driven game shooting was not a regular pastime just a couple of invitations per season,nice to have birdies that roast or casserole well,served up with buttery mash and peas...

Oh dear! Never done any shooting, I use mine as a relaxing antidote to slow play. Biggest problem is leaving the damn thing behind after getting overly absorbed in the golf. I lost one that way at Edinburgh Royal Burgess; it was never returned to me.

Never had the problem you described, it's a pretty sturdy piece of kit. Finished in black, I can just see it accompanying it's owner out to the trenches in WW1.

Unhappily, a lot of the hickories we use I'm sure were the property of those deceased in the two Wars.

We had a large number of serving and ex-military customers,one in particular was a real 'Rupert',bit of a chinless wonder with a very affected way of speaking.

He came into the shop late one afternoon to buy some 12-bore cartridges and we were chatting as I packed them into a box,can't remember the topic but do remember clearly saying "..no,there's not the same interest now........it's definitely waning",upon which he turned round and having looked out through the window replied;

"No,it looks perfectly dwy to me.."

Here is a photo of a set of Nicoll NoShoks retro fitted with hickory and available on that site which shall not be named.

I think they look great and will likely be in use in either Sweden or Switzerland.

The NoShok hosel was designed with a removeable rubber bush which allowed the hosel to be fitted with either hickory or steel shaft. Many hosels exist which do not have the NoShok stamp.

I imagine the blank head was taken from inventory and stamped NoShok before shafting up with the steel shaft and rubber bush. No way of knowing for sure but another Great British Invention!