Northern Ireland or SW Ireland?

wrayner ·  
wraynerwrayner JerzeyMembers  528WRX Points: 75Handicap: 1.4Posts: 528 Golden Tee

Looking to plan a trip for next July and trying to decide between the two. Anyone done both and can compare?

Posted:

Comments

• az2auaz2au Members  2246WRX Points: 427Handicap: 4.8Posts: 2,246 Platinum Tees

I've done both many times. Southwest still wins for me.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • hammergolfhammergolf St. LouisMembers  393WRX Points: 195Handicap: 3Posts: 393 Greens

I’ll let you know in mid October. Playing Dromoland, Doonbeg, Tralee, Lahinch, and Ballybunion the end of September.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9 Tour 65 Stiff
    Ping G410 3wd @ 15.5 flat Tensei Orange Stiff
    Ping G410 7wd @ 19.5 flat Tensei Orange Stiff
    Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G25 5-PW Steelfiber i95
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50*, 56* @ 55, 60* Modus 105 Stiff
    Evnroll TR8 33"
  • duffer987duffer987 Meh... eh Canadian in CaliforniaMembers  9905WRX Points: 1,142Handicap: ~8Posts: 9,905 Titanium Tees

UK subforum is full of loads of such comparos.

SW for me.

Posted:
  • puttnforthe8puttnforthe8 ARIZONAMembers  3319WRX Points: 413Posts: 3,319 Titanium Tees

Yeah...SW has so much more to offer. I lived there many years and probably was 4 or 5 to 1 SW for my trips.

Posted:
  • ChancemanChanceman Members  911WRX Points: 282Handicap: 14Posts: 911 Golden Tee

Depends on how much time you have but it would be a pity to miss Portrush and County Down if you are in Ireland and have the money and the time. So Day 1 Arrive in Dublin, drive to and play RCD, Day 2 drive to and play Portrush, Day 3 be up early to drive to and play Enniscrone, Day 4 drive to and play Lahinch, Day 5 drive to and play Ballybunion, Day 6 drive to and play Tralee, Day 7 drive to and play Waterville, Day 8 drive to The European Club, long drive, maybe play next day, Day 9 play EC and drive to Portmarnock, Day 10 play PM and go. That is close to what I did with a buddy 2 years ago. Of course you may want to do less driving, play less golf or play other, less expensive courses, up to you. But its doable.

Posted:
  • buckIbuckI Members  483WRX Points: 64Handicap: 5Posts: 483 Greens

Both are great. Not knowing the number of days you could do northern (RCD, Portrush, Port Stewart) and then Dublin and vicinity (Portmarnock, Ardglass, Island and evening European). Both are great. SW will usually have more visitors.

Posted:
    Ping G400 10.5* - Ping Tour 65
    Ping G 3 Wood 14.5* - Tour stiff
    Ping i15 20/23 - UST Axivcore stiff
    Ping I25 5-pw - CFS S Cushin +1/4
    Ping Glide 52/56/60 SS
    Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Advertisement
  • wraynerwrayner JerzeyMembers  528WRX Points: 75Handicap: 1.4Posts: 528 Golden Tee

The tentative itinerary is RCD, Portrush, Portmarnock, Portstewart, Ardglass and The Island

Posted:
  • puttnforthe8puttnforthe8 ARIZONAMembers  3319WRX Points: 413Posts: 3,319 Titanium Tees

Might as well include Baltray(Co Louth) in that rota. It's same area as Island.

Posted:
  • az2auaz2au Members  2246WRX Points: 427Handicap: 4.8Posts: 2,246 Platinum Tees

Agree with this. It is probably one of the most underrated courses I've played anywhere in the world as well. Just an absolute fun round of golf.

Posted:
  • ChancemanChanceman Members  911WRX Points: 282Handicap: 14Posts: 911 Golden Tee

Fair call but as others have said Baltray is a superb Irish links and complements Portmarnock and The Island. They also have a Dormy House so you can stay on-site and fall upstairs from the bar.

Posted:
  • duffer987duffer987 Meh... eh Canadian in CaliforniaMembers  9905WRX Points: 1,142Handicap: ~8Posts: 9,905 Titanium Tees

Those Baltray recommendations should get The K Club added to the itinerary ;-)

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Chigolfer2Chigolfer2 Snap Hook Members  114WRX Points: 40Handicap: 11Posts: 114 Fairways

We did Southwest Ireland. Ballybunion x 2, Dooks and Waterville, Old Head, Tralee, Lahinch and the Island. Great trip and we are planning Northern Ireland for 2021. I will say the SW Ireland trip was alot more driving and switching hotels vs the Northern Ireland trip. We are looking for a course on the way to RCD from Dublin. Suggestions.

Posted:
  • davep043davep043 Members  5016WRX Points: 2,217Handicap: 6.3Posts: 5,016 Titanium Tees

I've not been to Northern Ireland, but the SW area has a bunch of really good and famous courses. Its probably a great area for a first Ireland visit. a few years ago I spent some time in the northern part of the Republic, including stays at Ballyliffin (played both courses) and Enniscrone (played Enniscrone and Carne), and loved it. Add in a few more spots in County Donegal and County Sligo and you have plenty of golf without a huge amount of driving and moving.

Posted:

Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

The gimme is Baltray (County Louth). Solid second choice is Laytown & Bettystown. All things being equal I wouldn't look beyond those two, with all the nearby links options in County Dublin or inland ones in County Kildare.

Posted:

Baltray is an excellent traditional links course but if you want something a bit different there are good reports about Concra Wood which is just inside the Irish border.

Posted:

Not sure I would go out of the way to play Concra. Pretty good course with good views on a few holes - I would say half the holes could be any parkland course anywhere and half are 'special'. One of the toughest golf walks in all of ROI.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Chigolfer2Chigolfer2 Snap Hook Members  114WRX Points: 40Handicap: 11Posts: 114 Fairways

More difficult than Ballybunion Cashun. That was a tough walk.

Posted:

Fair enough, I have never played it but its just that he wanted a course en route from Dublin to RCD and the course is only 25km off the highway. There was a pro tournament there a year or two ago and it looked pretty good.

Posted:
    Posted:
  • eagles1eagles1 Members  1334WRX Points: 135Posts: 1,334 Platinum Tees

Throw Dooks Golf Links into that category as well.

Posted:

Dooks is an easy walk IMHO. Layout is a bit funky at the start/end having to cross fairways, but it's not in the same category of the ups/downs at somewhere like Cashen or Carne.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • eagles1eagles1 Members  1334WRX Points: 135Posts: 1,334 Platinum Tees

Gotcha - maybe that's because when I played Dooks, I walked with a trolly. Had a caddie at Cashen.

Posted:

Ya lugging, not-lugging could definitely make a difference when hills are involved :-)

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.