Fly Z Driver Problem

Shrinkwr4p

Firstly, I do not have access to Trackman etc.

I am 64 and play 4 days a week. My current handicap is 9.7. I hit the ball straight and can keep it in play on a tight, gorse infested and windy links course. I doubt that I lose more than one ball in a month. But, of course, I want to hit it further.

For the past 10 years I have played with a little draw. 3 years ago I bought a K15 driver. That thing is like a machine pumping water. It never goes right and it doesn't hook provided my aging body remembers to make a turn. But, I seem to get only what I carry with little roll out even on fairly firm fairways.

So, here's the rub, I bought a Fly Z with the stock regular Matrix VLCT SP shaft. It came on Tuesday and on Wednesday we went to the range. There was a fairly strong left to right wind and over 30 or 40 balls I hit 2 or 3 big slices but the rest of the bucket seemed under control. The carry was as good as I might expect but it did seem to run out for 20 or 25 yards.

I was excited enough to put it in the bag yesterday for a visit to Rosemount GC in Blairgowrie (which must be one of the top 5 inland tracks in Scotland). It was a disaster! I spent the day hunting down the right and lost 2 balls.

Today, I reverted to the K15. Played in a two club wind and missed only one fairway Not a fade in sight let alone a slice.

So here is my dillema. I want to like the Cobra- (I play, love and consistently draw amp cell fairway woods) - and I'm sure it would give me a few yards if i could straighten it out.

Might a change of shaft help me get it under control - perhaps something heavier because it certainly feels to light?

Please don't tell me to get fitted because that's not easily acheived in these parts. Nor do I want to get get lessons. I just want to know if it's worth trying a change of shaft (at no huge cost) before I sell the thing.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you can try setting the loft a little higher. That should close the face a little to mitigate the slice. That might get it a little closer to your K15, as that is a draw biased driver.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

As the owner of a Fly z, i have found that I am always walking down the right side of the fairway when i use it same as you. I too wanted to like this driver, but for some reason its quite easy to hit a fade or slice compared to other offerings i play. Not sure why, but actually interesting to hear you are seeing the same.

i have mine set to the 11.5 d setting and it has been better, but i won't play it right now because it didn't seem to help other than just a little.

In your situation I would sell it and get a firmer shaft in a more draw biased driver.

Have a search on here for firm regular shaft types or weak stiff shaft types.

If you played with K15 then you will not want to give up forgiveness.

A draw biased forgiving head could be something like the G30 sf tec.

Identify a forgiving draw biased head with firm shaft and look out for it on EBay or Golfbidder.

Match your shaft length and preferred grip and I bet you can sneak those extra desired yards while being in the fairway.

Maybe go down a half degree in loft for more run out too. Good luck links man.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

I play cobra and can tell you that they tend to be overly light. I have had to re-weight every single one I have bought. Before adjusting the loft or anything else, I suggest you get some lead tape and start adding weight to the head till it feels right. If lead tape is not available, go with a shaft in the 75 gm range. See how the ball flies then and PLEASE post your results. The Fly-Z is a great driver, but it's obvious that the light weight is causing issues with your release.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I went from a slight draw with my Ping G20, to a fade with my Fly Z, but it runs out so much farther that I've been quite happy with it. I had to adjust to it, though, and I definitely aim differently.

Even in the draw setting, it definitely wants to fade.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

I went from a Ping G25 to the Fly Z with the stock Matrix shaft in stiff. Where I wasn't real consistent with the G25 now I am consistent with the Fly Z and probably 15 yards longer. I will either hit it straight or get a little fade tail at the end. I have G30 fairway and hybrid and G20 irons and all of those have a slight draw for me. I'm just having to get used to the slight fade and aim a little differently. I am enjoying not getting the wild misses I would get a little too frequently with the G25. I have mine set at 10.5 draw and I get about a medium flight.

I've been playing the Fly Z at 10.5 draw. I'll play alone on Monday and loft up to 11.5 draw. It might be interesting anyway to try to play myself into it on my home course without pressure or distractions.

Thanks,Hunter. It's helpful to know I'm not alone in experiencing this issue.

I matched the K15 against the G30 sf tec on a launch monitor last season. To my surprise the K15 won. Frankly if it would only run out a few more yards it would be perfect.

But the Fly Z does seem teasingly long if more than a bit right and wild. And it's not simply that I need a draw biased driver to keep it on the park. Periodically I play a Cobra Long Tom 2 wood which delivers serviceable little draws.

Redneck, your comments are welcome. I'll try some tape which may help me feel where the head is.

I'm interested in the idea of a heavier shaft but my experience through the years has been of accepting stock shafts. Any suggestions of reasonably priced heavier shafts in regular flex would be very welcome.

I will second the comment about the VLCT shafts playing soft... I found the X suit me better when I normally play a stiff... I do not have a fade issue with the Fly Z but I did with the Fly Z+ so I stuck with the regular Fly Z head for the same reasons a lot of you did, it gets some awesome roll out after carry. I am playing it in the 9-10.5* settings to see what I like best and I just got my hands on a Aldila Tour Blue 65s for it, so I will see how it does in the Fly Z head. Been playing a Matrix White Tie Tour Proto V-1 which is an X and although it may be a tad on the stiff side for me, it makes the Fly Z feel very controllable. I think the Fly Z is a better version of the G30 head, it just looks, sounds, and feels better... for me. I would definitely NOT sell this club or give up on it just yet. Get a stiffer shaft, maybe in the 70g range and see if that helps at all... It is really a great performing head.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I will second the comment about the VLCT shafts playing soft... I found the X suit me better when I normally play a stiff... I do not have a fade issue with the Fly Z but I did with the Fly Z+ so I stuck with the regular Fly Z head for the same reasons a lot of you did, it gets some awesome roll out after carry. I am playing it in the 9-10.5* settings to see what I like best and I just got my hands on a Aldila Tour Blue 65s for it, so I will see how it does in the Fly Z head. Been playing a Matrix White Tie Tour Proto V-1 which is an X and although it may be a tad on the stiff side for me, it makes the Fly Z feel very controllable. I think the Fly Z is a better version of the G30 head, it just looks, sounds, and feels better... for me. I would definitely NOT sell this club or give up on it just yet. Get a stiffer shaft, maybe in the 70g range and see if that helps at all... It is really a great performing head.

Thanks for the comment. I think I'm going to try just that. I'm pretty convinced the head may offer me more length if I can find a way of keeping the ball in play with it.

I had the very same problem with my Fly-Z (regular stock shaft). It was ok on smooth, easy swings, but whenever I tried to "get after it" for a few more yards, the darn thing went right.

It got so frustrating that I recently traded it in on a new Pong G (with a regular Tour shaft upgrade).

how does the ping g compare to the fly z. Feel. Distance, sound etc.

It's hit or miss without getting fitted,I tried 5 different shafts and eliminated 3 by the ball flight and #'s... The shaft I wound up with I would have never thought of trying on my own, my fitter let me take the demo shaft out for my weekend rounds, then put an adapter on a new shaft cut to 45" with the grip I play...

Least expensive shafts to try would be the VS Proto 70 R and NV 75 R. Both can be had for around $50. Next step up in price would be older versions of the Red Board or Blue Board, Fuji 757, ATX Blue 75, etc. they run from $80 - $115.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

It's hit or miss without getting fitted,I tried 5 different shafts and eliminated 3 by the ball flight and #'s... The shaft I wound up with I would have never thought of trying on my own, my fitter let me take the demo shaft out for my weekend rounds, then put an adapter on a new shaft cut to 45" with the grip I play...

Getting a Cobra fitting is not really an option round here, unfortunately. I'm so keen on the head though that I,m prepared to play hit or miss with 2 or 3 cheaper shafts and hope to hit the jackpot. If I don't there's always my K15.

Firstly, I do not have access to Trackman etc.

I am 64 and play 4 days a week. My current handicap is 9.7. I hit the ball straight and can keep it in play on a tight, gorse infested and windy links course. I doubt that I lose more than one ball in a month. But, of course, I want to hit it further.

For the past 10 years I have played with a little draw. 3 years ago I bought a K15 driver. That thing is like a machine pumping water. It never goes right and it doesn't hook provided my aging body remembers to make a turn. But, I seem to get only what I carry with little roll out even on fairly firm fairways.

So, here's the rub, I bought a Fly Z with the stock regular Matrix VLCT SP shaft. It came on Tuesday and on Wednesday we went to the range. There was a fairly strong left to right wind and over 30 or 40 balls I hit 2 or 3 big slices but the rest of the bucket seemed under control. The carry was as good as I might expect but it did seem to run out for 20 or 25 yards.

I was excited enough to put it in the bag yesterday for a visit to Rosemount GC in Blairgowrie (which must be one of the top 5 inland tracks in Scotland). It was a disaster! I spent the day hunting down the right and lost 2 balls.

Today, I reverted to the K15. Played in a two club wind and missed only one fairway Not a fade in sight let alone a slice.

So here is my dillema. I want to like the Cobra- (I play, love and consistently draw amp cell fairway woods) - and I'm sure it would give me a few yards if i could straighten it out.

Might a change of shaft help me get it under control - perhaps something heavier because it certainly feels to light?

Please don't tell me to get fitted because that's not easily achieved in these parts. Nor do I want to get get lessons. I just want to know if it's worth trying a change of shaft (at no huge cost) before I sell the thing.

I purchased a flyz with a stiff Matrix VLCT Shaft. I was hooking it with the stock shaft. I decided to try a shaft I was using in another driver that fit me well, (serrano stiff) and have the flyz loft set to 9*. The club is now a bomber for me, go straight and long. Similar age to you and ss of about 92-95. 7i -150.

I have a cobra bio cell+ driver too. I find the flyz more forgiving. Both fantastic drivers.

Not changing my username but
had a hole in 1!

Scratch72 - the quote function does not work for me (something to do with either my Mac or Safari), but you wondered how my new Ping G compared to my old Fly-Z.

At first, I did not like the Ping, but that was before I discovered their Pro 65 shaft upgrade. It made all the difference.

Now I can stand on a drive some more and not have to worry about it going right (like the Fly-Z used to do).

I do think that the Fly-Z head is great. With a different shaft, I'll bet that it would be just as good as my new Ping.

I thought WRXers always fought hooks, due to the aggressive swings and "tight little draws" :)

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

I have the same problem w/ the Fly Z+ driver w/ stiff matrix white tie shaft, everything goes right

I hardly ever hit anything right

10.5* Cobra LTDx Driver w/ Veylix Alpina Shaft

14.5 * Taylormade Stealth + Fairway wood w/ Veylix Rome Shaft

19.0* Callaway Rogue ST Max w/ Graphite Design Tour AD 75 shaft

4-PW Callaway Apex 21 w/ Accra steel 105g shafts

Edison Wedges w/ Accra Steel 115g shafts (49*, 54*, 59*)

SIK C-Series Pro Putter w/ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar Shaft