Voodoo putting - what kind of magic is this??

Ristlager

Monte talked about this voodoo putting in the short game video he made a couple of years ago, and I thought it was a funny, but a little wacky technique that I didn't really pay attention to then. Fast forward to this year and I have been atrocious on the green, using between 36 and 40 puts on average, and being a 5 hc that really puts the pressure on my long game. So after a round where I missed the hole by a yard from 6-7 yards out (with no break :( ) I didn't know what to do. I remembered the voodoo putting Monte talked about and just gave it a chance on the next round, and holy crap does this work, I have no idea why, but aiming is incredibly accurate, and the best thing is it works on any distance. In my last 4 rounds I have made more long puts than combined all this year. The second round I played with it I shot my first 72 round, and my latest round I finally got under 30 puts (13 on front and 16 on back) and that was on a course I have never played before.

The technique is: you never aim behind the ball, but instead you just stand facing the hole and the ball from the downside and just walk up to the ball while you look at the hole. That is all.

If your aim is a bit of I really recommend checking it out. How it works I have no idea, but I am riding this high as long is I can :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't use it, but it would certainly be something I would try with clients because different people react to different ideas. It's another way of getting target-orientated, so everything about your body and frame of mind is focused on 'that target right there', rather than 'I wonder what my stroke looks like today'

it's very easy, but a bit hard to explain. You position yourself like this. the ball is point a, the hole is point b, and you are point c in a triangle. You stand on the side which makes it so that you can just walk towards the ball and be positioned so that you aim towards the hole. I find it best if I am about half the length of the put away from line a,b before I approach the ball. From point c, you just walk towards the ball and look at the ball/hole. When you reach your ball, you put the putter down and put the ball.

Monte talked about this voodoo putting in the short game video he made a couple of years ago, and I thought it was a funny, but a little wacky technique that I didn't really pay attention to then. Fast forward to this year and I have been atrocious on the green, using between 36 and 40 puts on average, and being a 5 hc that really puts the pressure on my long game. So after a round where I missed the hole by a yard from 6-7 yards out (with no break :( ) I didn't know what to do. I remembered the voodoo putting Monte talked about and just gave it a chance on the next round, and holy crap does this work, I have no idea why, but aiming is incredibly accurate, and the best thing is it works on any distance. In my last 4 rounds I have made more long puts than combined all this year. The second round I played with it I shot my first 72 round, and my latest round I finally got under 30 puts (13 on front and 16 on back) and that was on a course I have never played before.

The technique is: you never aim behind the ball, but instead you just stand facing the hole and the ball from the downside and just walk up to the ball while you look at the hole. That is all.

If your aim is a bit of I really recommend checking it out. How it works I have no idea, but I am riding this high as long is I can :)

It gives the feel of distance, and line for me . I usually take my practice stroke as I'm looking at ball then hole. I find that walking straight up to ball with those final visuals makes me roll the ball with great pace.

Ok, I think I understand. So, I suppose you would go through a normal routine of reading the putt from behind and possibly from other angles if needed and then move into the triangle position when ready to execute? Will try this and see if it makes a difference. Thanks!

I do not read anything any more. I just position myself on point c, and then walk towards the ball. That's why I don't know how it works.. but for me it's been a revelation :)

Edit: My point c is closer to the ball than the hole, so I come to the hole more perpendicular (if that's the right word).

It's been a long time since I watched the video, so that is probably true. But I do need to watch where the ball is in order to get me in the right position to put, so I don't think I am that far of :)

Then you aren't using the technique.

Well I do think I am close enough, and for me this method works. And I look at the hole and the ball when I walk towards it.

It gives the feel of distance, and line for me . I usually take my practice stroke as I'm looking at ball then hole. I find that walking straight up to ball with those final visuals makes me roll the ball with great pace.

I have stopped doing practice strokes, so my time on the greens is extremely short now :)

I have stopped doing practice strokes, so my time on the greens is extremely short now :)

It's been a long time since I watched the video, so that is probably true. But I do need to watch where the ball is in order to get me in the right position to put, so I don't think I am that far of :)

Then you aren't using the technique.

Well I do think I am close enough, and for me this method works. And I look at the hole and the ball when I walk towards it.

Really not a "close enough", the technique is the technique. You do something completely different, and wouldn't want to confuse people into thinking they do what you are doing and can skip investing in Monte's.

If what you do works, great but you aren't doing anything different than anybody else walking up to their ball from the low side and setting up, the way you describe it.

Does anyone know if there are any PGA or LPGA players using this technique? I looked on YouTube and didn't see anybody doing this. Most players do the traditional thing by stepping into the putt from behind.

Don't think Monte even uses it in tournaments (looking at his video log from be better golf), so there probably isn't anyone else. Mcilroy probably should ;)

Well then my memory must be very off if what I am doing is completely different. This was how I remembered the technique was, but I'll look it up tomorrow, to see how I am confusing people here.

When you do a simple "never mind" should suffice. I'm sure those who should buy the video will benefit greatly from the short game content.

Does anyone know if there are any PGA or LPGA players using this technique? I looked on YouTube and didn't see anybody doing this. Most players do the traditional thing by stepping into the putt from behind.

Don't think Monte even uses it in tournaments (looking at his video log from be better golf), so there probably isn't anyone else. Mcilroy probably should ;)

I use it on seaside and mountain side courses when I'm confused. Aimpont is same thing and many use that.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

I use it on seaside and mountain side courses when I'm confused. Aimpont is same thing and many use that.

Did you have to use it much in Ireland and Scotland?

As a paying customer, I was a bit perturbed to see someone attempting to explain it on the Internet for free.

But, you butchered it so badly that anyone trying it would have been just better off buying the video like me!