2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

$3.96 Black Putter Shaft

• 2 weeks later...

Just tricked up my #9 Black series this way. Great idea! Thanks! Agreed on heat gun. I actually was worried this stuff would melt but actually turned up to high half way through. I do think this coating will be durable. I installed new grip (heavier +15g) and new shaft (FST Stepless 130g uncut over stock stepped) and feeling is off but I did change a lot. I am thinking/hoping it is the shaft and overall increase in weight. I am planning at some point to remove black, test then re-install a stepped shaft and test.. Would be curious as to other inputs on feel for those who just added the coating? At 35" putter with sleeve 1/3 up grip weight was about 12g, on the search for a lighter/thinner version of this stuff.
[attachment=2140359:#9-2.JPG]
[attachment=2140361:#9-1a.JPG]

Nice! I used some heat shrink today to fix the temples on some sunglasses today.

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

Jim I am looking for alternative uses as well as this stuff is pretty neat. Updating my earlier post, I couldn't wait. Optimistic now! The combination of the shaft and grip (non tapered round, pretty thick material) was killing feel. I swapped out grip to Pingman felt much better but still dull, then pulled shaft and went back and forth alternating/shimming A) the black stepless shaft and B) an Odyssey Fluted shaft, no question far better with B. Everything was short and didn't feel lively or soft off face with A. Last test was to remove the black coating and hope it was in fact the shaft. Still same unresponsive feel off the face and leaving putts short. Frankly, a little shocked and this prompted me to look into putter shaft styles on here. I never imagined it might matter. Perhaps it's just this FST version, but many here seem to think stepped shafts are much better for feel. Per other posts, fluted shafts are thought to be firmer than stepped shafts anyways, so will likely try the stock stepped in next to test. Since the fluted was lighter I probably will probably blackout that one as it will bring it close to a normal TT stepped shaft weight. I am hoping this does the trick.

Side note: An easy way to evenly trip the excess at hosel is a small pipe cutter to score it lightly and peel as I am not good with the utility knife.

Jim I am looking for alternative uses as well as this stuff is pretty neat. Updating my earlier post, I couldn't wait. Optimistic now! The combination of the shaft and grip ( round non tapered round, pretty thick material) was killing feel. I swapped out grip to Pingman felt much better but still dull, then pulled shaft and went back and forth alternating/shimming A) the black stepless shaft and B) an Odyssey Fluted shaft, no question far better with B. Everything was short and didn't feel lively or soft off face with B. Last test was to remove the black coating and hope it was in fact the shaft. Still same unresponsive feel off the face and leaving putts short. Frankly, a little shocked and this prompted me to look into putter shaft styles on here. I never imagined it might matter. Perhaps it's just this FST version, but many here seem to think stepped shafts are much better for feel. Per other posts, fluted shafts are thought to be firmer than stepped shafts anyways, so will likely try the stock stepped in next to test. SInce the fluted was lighter I probably will probably blackout that one as it will bring it close to a normal TT stepped shaft weight. I am hoping this does the trick.

Side note: An easy way to evenly trip the excess at hosel is a small pipe cutter to score it lightly and peel as I am not good with the utility knife.

I really didn't feel like sending these back to Costa, since I have heard stories about their replacement warranty.

The piece of heat shrink is behind my ear and not visible much at all. Costa used two separate materials on the temples. You can see the "good" side is starting to separate as well.

IMG_20140326_130058.jpg

IMG_20140326_130111.jpg

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

Just tricked up my #9 Black series this way. Great idea! Thanks! Agreed on heat gun. I actually was worried this stuff would melt but actually turned up to high half way through. I do think this coating will be durable. I installed new grip (heavier +15g) and new shaft (FST Stepless 130g uncut over stock stepped) and feeling is off but I did change a lot. I am thinking/hoping it is the shaft and overall increase in weight. I am planning at some point to remove black, test then re-install a stepped shaft and test.. Would be curious as to other inputs on feel for those who just added the coating? At 35" putter with sleeve 1/3 up grip weight was about 12g, on the search for a lighter/thinner version of this stuff.

Did the same to my metal x #9 and I must say this was a hell of a lot easier and faster than painting the shaft. Ended up selling the putter on BST in favor of a Scotty, but once I refinish the Scotty, I may do the shaft with the extra I have left.

mx5_zpsd198e7c5.jpgmx4_zps1f604249.jpg

Callaway Rogue SZ 10.5* W/ Matrix F7M2
Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 16.5* W/ Matrix F7M2 Proto

Adams Super LS 19* W/ Kuro Kage 80
Royal Collection Tour VS 5-PW W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
Taylormade RAC Satin 50 + 54 W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
MaxFli CrossBax 3.0 (#9 Style)
Bag - Honma Mini Staff
Ball - Taylormade RBZ Urethane

• 2 months later...

Great thread! Decided I wanted to try this cheap blac shaft thing. THe result came out like this.

of0a3k.jpg

if318y.jpg

2ujrvrd.jpg

2chn7uw.jpg

Looks pretty good I think :)

[b][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade M2 with Project Hzrdus Black[/font][/b]
[b][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 915F 16.5°[/font][/b]
[b][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist T-MB 3i
Titleist AP2 716 4-PW
Callaway MD3 50, 54, 58[/font][/b]
[b][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Evnroll ER2[/font][/b]

Enjoyed reading the posts on this thread and the pics of the DIY work.

This is a look I was also trying to get when I refurb'd a TPA XVIII, though I went for an Apollo Acculite Gun Smoke shaft which was £11.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/901523-wilson-tpa-xviii-the-quest-for-the-new-excalibur-updated/

I appreciate that it's not the flat black that most of the guys on here were looking for, but I never had the foresight to think of this.

The stepped iron shaft in regular still gives plenty of feel and still provided the desired look.

Nevertheless - good work here and some sick looking flat sticks.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

Jim I am looking for alternative uses as well as this stuff is pretty neat. Updating my earlier post, I couldn't wait. Optimistic now! The combination of the shaft and grip ( round non tapered round, pretty thick material) was killing feel. I swapped out grip to Pingman felt much better but still dull, then pulled shaft and went back and forth alternating/shimming A) the black stepless shaft and B) an Odyssey Fluted shaft, no question far better with B. Everything was short and didn't feel lively or soft off face with B. Last test was to remove the black coating and hope it was in fact the shaft. Still same unresponsive feel off the face and leaving putts short. Frankly, a little shocked and this prompted me to look into putter shaft styles on here. I never imagined it might matter. Perhaps it's just this FST version, but many here seem to think stepped shafts are much better for feel. Per other posts, fluted shafts are thought to be firmer than stepped shafts anyways, so will likely try the stock stepped in next to test. SInce the fluted was lighter I probably will probably blackout that one as it will bring it close to a normal TT stepped shaft weight. I am hoping this does the trick.

I really didn't feel like sending these back to Costa, since I have heard stories about their replacement warranty.

The piece of heat shrink is behind my ear and not visible much at all. Costa used two separate materials on the temples. You can see the "good" side is starting to separate as well.

IMG_20140326_130058.jpg

IMG_20140326_130111.jpg

You can also purchase heat shrink that has a sealant layer on the inside of the tubing. I use it for waterproof splice connections. When you heat the tubing up, the material on the inside becomes liquid and will flow like a thick adhesive that hardens when cool. In the case of your sunglasses it would offer another level of strength to the repair.

Over here when I buy it gives me the option of a shrink ratio of 1:2 and 1:3 what should I buy?

Also my TPM putter is the pencil shaft 0.281 tip what size of tubing would you recommend for this shaft???

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

some of the putter wells on these cart bags leaves your putter shaft vulnerable to dings from your iron heads smacking back n forth, this stuff would be great for that. i never new they made it in lengths that long lol, i use the stuff at work every now and then but the home depot packages of 5" lengths works fine for what i need it for at work

G25 10.5 kiyoshi purple 75
G25 3w kiyoshi purple 85
G25 5w kiyoshi purple 85
S55 3-p kbs tour
52/58 anser kbs tour
Golo 7 cb

[quote name='thecraw' timestamp='1403474606' post='9553031']
Over here when I buy it gives me the option of a shrink ratio of 1:2 and 1:3 what should I buy?

Also my TPM putter is the pencil shaft 0.281 tip what size of tubing would you recommend for this shaft???

[/quote]

I bought the 16 mm, 2-1 shrink for my Ping Putter. If your shaft is very thin (pencil) I would get the 3-1 shrink ratio. At these prices you can get both and experiment. The Ebay seller above ships very fast, and admit it, you've spent more than $4 for snacks at the turn.

By the look and feel of the finished shaft, I think the durability will be very good. When the stuff shrinks, it gets a little thicker so minor scratches won't even make it to the level of the shaft.

I've used much thinner versions of this stuff for it's intended use (electronics wiring) and I've never had an issue with it coming undone. Of course I've also never putted with electrical connections, so there's that.....

Someone above inquired about Plasti-Dip (yet another amazing invention), I've used that in automotive applications and it's great stuff as well. However, I think this shrink tubing is a better (cheaper, easier to apply, more durable) alternative for this application. BUT, if you've already got the spray can of Plasti-Dip sitting there, give it a shot and please report back.

X________________________________ Sign Here

So I played with my putter yesterday on a bright sunny day. I REALLY liked the look and new anti glare feature of the shaft.

I just did two of my wedges (my "take to the missed green" set) and they turned out great. I had a chipped ferrule on my Vokey, so I extended the wrap to cover it up. After doing a putter and two wedges, I still have enough left over to do a driver.

4D4E036E-AC5C-4166-8505-4F8C6754B876_zpsayprrplk.jpg

It's in the running for the best $4 I ever spent.

I did get a little rambunctious tightening up the vice when reinstalling the grip. The material pinched a little, all I did was reheat it and it melted smooth again.

X________________________________ Sign Here

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1403531449' post='9556801']
[quote name='thecraw' timestamp='1403474606' post='9553031']

[/quote]

I bought the 16 mm, 2-1 shrink for my Ping Putter. If your shaft is very thin (pencil) I would get the 3-1 shrink ratio. At these prices you can get both and experiment. The Ebay seller above ships very fast, and admit it, you've spent more than $4 for snacks at the turn.

By the look and feel of the finished shaft, I think the durability will be very good. When the stuff shrinks, it gets a little thicker so minor scratches won't even make it to the level of the shaft.

I've used much thinner versions of this stuff for it's intended use (electronics wiring) and I've never had an issue with it coming undone. Of course I've also never putted with electrical connections, so there's that.....

Someone above inquired about Plasti-Dip (yet another amazing invention), I've used that in automotive applications and it's great stuff as well. However, I think this shrink tubing is a better (cheaper, easier to apply, more durable) alternative for this application. BUT, if you've already got the spray can of Plasti-Dip sitting there, give it a shot and please report back.
[/quote]

Thank you very much. Appreciate the help.

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1403718588' post='9575625']
[quote name='Schick' timestamp='1403717091' post='9575337']
So how easy is this to get off? Say I mess it up or want to take it off, will it be a difficult process?
[/quote]

It's attached by friction, nothing sticky. Like peeling a banana.
[/quote]
Awesome. Thanks!

Cobra Amp Cell 8.5* w/ Black Tie
TEE XCG4 15* w/ Prolaunch Red
Adams Super LS w/ KK Black 19*
Mizuno JPX 800 4-GW w/S300
Cleveland 588 RTX 56*
Bettinardi Studio Stock 15

Was gonna plasti dip my metal x9 shaft but I pulled the trigger today and got 8ft of this to try. Also picked up a black / red midnight 3.0 ss grip to match the shaft. My OCD wouldn't allow me to re use the white ss 3.0 grip it that's on it currently. Pics next week ...

Ya there GI irons ... but I keep em clean .

[quote name='lsf_21' timestamp='1403476157' post='9553177']
I have thought about plasti dip. I dont want to ruin the shaft band though.
[/quote]

Plasti Dip shouldn't ruin a shaft band as it's not going to soak in to the material, but it's going to be a right PITA to work with - you'll need to use the aerosol can to get even coverage and the nozzle isn't particularly useful for detail work.

Heatshrink is a far, far better option. Easier to work with and much cheaper!

Guys, what size of tubing is everyone using?

I bought 16mm and it was too small. I'll use this for the pencil shafted TPM which I hope to get back tomorrow from its refurb.

I've just ordered some more heat shrink in 19.1mm now but I'm scared it will be too big and not shrink enough at the bottom!

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack