2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

TaylorMade Tour Preferred and Tour Preferred X Golf Ball Member Testing and Review

TaylorMade recently offered ten GolfWRX members the chance to test and review their new Tour Preferred & Tour Preferred X golf balls, which will be released at retail on February 28th. This thread is for those members to share their feedback and insight.

The selected members will start posting below soon!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'll kick this off. The weather hasn't been amazing here in the PacNWet, so I've been able to only putt and chip a bit, and I played one round since getting these. I will update more with pictures and hopefully a video clip if I can, but I figured I'd post a preliminary opinion.

I usually play ProV1s, or ProV1xs, depending on the weather and season. I also really like the Lethal, and played the TP5 for a while prior.

The new Tour Preferred feels really good. It feels nice off the putter, which usually isn't something I notice, but I did notice this. I'm not going to critique anything about putting further, because the greens I was putting on were so bad that it wouldn't be fair...but say this, as someone who really struggles with putting, I dropped a few long birdies with these because the distance control was so easy, thanks to the feel. In my opinion, it's an underrated topic...but I notice the feel of balls really impacts my distance control with the putter.

I just put Ctapers in my irons, and then I kicked if off with a new ball. Maybe not a good combo to start with, but man, the TP feels nice. I didn't even bother with the TPx, because it was around 45 degrees, super windy, and I was playing on an exposed links-style course.

The ball actually holds really well into the wind. A few times actually, I was flighting it lower than I expected. Lots of the time, a ProV1 tends to balloon a ton on even easy shots into the wind. The TP didn't tend to do that. If anything, it tended to get knocked down a little easier. I prefer this, because then you can swing harder and flight it up. For me at least, easier to flight it up into wind than to keep it down.

The ball was checking great with longer chips as well. I was able to hit a few low spinners that bit hard and just basically stopped around the green. Usually I'll get a little trickle with a ProV1, after it checks, but the TP just checked, then stopped. Easy to pull the string on it when it responds like that. I really enjoy chipping with this ball.

Honestly, the only area I still haven't been able to really test with the TP has been the driver. It flighted well in the wind, but to give it a fair test, I need to wait and play in better weather.

Thankfully, I'm going to San Diego this week, so I plan to test out the rest of these when I am there.

I will be doing this in spurts since I was sent to school in Vegas.

I was able to jump on the launch monitor at Dicks before I left and every thing was correct. (yardage wise).

I tested three balls:

Lethal (current ball)
Tour Preferred
Tour Preferred X

The results were right along the numbers of what I was thinking.

The lethal and Tour Preferred where almost identical to each other

Driver: Tour Adams LS set at 10.5 with a DI6x

Spin rate was 3200 to 3400

SS: 105 to 108 (not trying to got at it)

Carry was right at 260 and with roll out I was getting around 275 to 280 total.

Ball speed was between 150 and 158
My launch angle was anywhere from 12.1 to 13.5

Angle of Decent was between 40 and 44

azimuth was between 8.1 and 10.1

With the Tour Preferred X I had all the same numbers but lower spin rates: 2700 to 2900

These numbers were averaged at the end of the session. I hit 10 balls with each

My longest shot was:

Tour Preferred X

Club Head Speed: 104 Ball Speed: 151.5 launch angle: 12.8 Azimuth: -9.7 Side spin: -550 Back spin: 2026 Total Spin: 2100 Decent Angle 40 Carry: 265.34 yards Total: 291.37 Peak height:37.10

Shortest

Lethal

Club Head Speed: 103, Ball Speed: 150.0 launch angle: 12.8 Azimuth: -10.1 Side spin: 580 Back spin: 3296 Total Spin: 3345 Decent Angle 44 Carry: 249.73 yards Total: 270.54 Peak height:40.79

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

So were you expecting as much as 500rpm difference? That's a lot, if it holds up on the course that ought to make a big difference in distance and trajectory.

Do you have any idea how much less a ProV1x spins for you than a ProV1? For a lot of people the ProV1/ProV1x difference is as little as a couple hundred rpm.

Not a great driver in the bays but with the warm weather and runways we play on in west Texas those numbers where nothing compared to what I was putting up during my one round with the Preferred/ Preferred X. I will not says my distances even though they were GPS measured.

Now my favorite part of the game:

Irons:

Adams MB2s and Cleveland 588 wedges.

Spin highest to lowest:

Lethal
Tour Preferred
X

All three balls feel great off of the face, the only thing that was different for me was the sound and feel of the Preferred X. It had more of a click sound and seemed to be a little harder.

I hit all three on must approaches and came up with one hole that all three shot were great and had similar results.

125 yards I hit a gap wedge(52*)
Lethal hit at about 130 and spun back about 12 feet
Tour Preferred hit at 129, five feet to the right of that ball and spun back 10 feet
Preferred X hit at 132 between the first two and spun back only at 4 feet.

Didn't make a single Birdie putt.

Chip shots, bump & runs, sand shots and flop shots:

IMHO nothing compares to the Lethal still. I just love the ball around the green. If I said one ball I would have to say the Tour Preferred was similar in feel and check or release.

Granted none of the shot where the same the lethal always had the best result with the Tour Preferred coming in last. I shat a 76 (only counting the Preferred X which was always the first to be played). That's a great score for me so its not like I was hitting bad shots/playing bad.

The durability of these balls are outstanding. I took and couple of Photos on my phone but can't transfer them at this time. They withstood the rocks, hard fairways, cart paths and trees. I used one Preferred X for the round and will be teeing up with it again on my next round. I just need to clean her up a little.

I hope to have another round or two this weekend here in Vegas. If this happens I will post more updates.

I HOPE THE COURSES HERE ARE CONSISTANT UNLIKE WEST TEXAS!!!! meaning fairways one way and greens another.

Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Machine M6 Inspirer
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1393289684' post='8737988']
So were you expecting as much as 500rpm difference? That's a lot, if it holds up on the course that ought to make a big difference in distance and trajectory.

Do you have any idea how much less a ProV1x spins for you than a ProV1? For a lot of people the ProV1/ProV1x difference is as little as a couple hundred rpm.
[/quote]

I was not thinking it would be that big of a difference, maybe a couple hundred at most.

As for the Pro V1/Pro V1x, I have never tested them side by side. I do know when I was fitted for my driver the Pro V1 was around the 3200 to 3400 range.

The price is to much for me when I can pick up the lethal for cheap on ebay.

EDIT: the 2700 hundred range was only on 2 shots, Most of the shots were in the high 2800 range

Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Machine M6 Inspirer

Ball flight was great on all three.

I did try to get them to balloon but had no luck.

How did I do that you ask?

I swung harder then normal, came in steeper (my thinking at least), and tried to play a little cut.

I was shocked on this one because the Preferred X actually started to rise a little but just leveled out. End result the ball came of short. I only tried on that one approach. didn't want to mess up a good thing, my score that is.

Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Machine M6 Inspirer

Have tried both out on 2 courses here in Vegas. Revere-Concord then Paiute-Wolf, I was able to play the Concord course the following day using my regular ball which is the Hex Chrome+. In the test rounds, I played 9 holes with the TP and 9 with the X. Here are my findings:

The TP is a softer ball that I liked the feel of off the driver and irons. Distance wise, I was getting the same distances as Chrome; however, the big difference between TP and Chrome is I can get the Chrome to check on the hard greens here where I struggled with the TP.

As to the X, I hated the feel of it initially. It felt clicky coming off the face but the response is much better on hard greens. I was able to check up on short wedges and it putted very nice both on and off the green.

If I were to decide which to play, I would go with the X because I could dial it in better. The TP might be a better choice in softer conditions.

[b]Warning[/b]: Long review ahead.

I received new Tour Preferred-X (TP-X) red number and TaylorMade Tour Preferred (TP) black number golf balls for an evaluation. For some reason Marketing figured they needed the input of an old, middle handicap, slow swinger (90 mph driver) for their test group. They must have not read my previous ball test. [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/929650-pinnacle-gold-vs-callaway-hex-hot-shootout/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...x-hot-shootout/[/url]

[attachment=2085348:DSC00693.JPG][attachment=2085350:DSC00694.JPG]

If you are curious about what clubs were used for the tests just check my signature. Big Hint: all X-Hot. So here goes a series of completely subjective tests...no Trackman, no quantitative analysis. No research was done as to other opinions or the construction of the ball so all biases would be neutral.

[u]Wilson cart path test[/u] (who am I to doubt Wilson?):

The TP and TP-X both bounce. Well, that is a given. The TP-X bounces just a bit higher than the TP. Both balls have a muted sound.

An old TopFlite XL bounces higher than both TMs but it sounds like a large ball bearing tossed onto a corrugated tin roof. Callaway Hex Hot, Strata Jet, and Pinnacle Gold also bounce higher. The winner? Who knows; it is a stupid test.

In conclusion, if you are trying to, or often, hit a cart path hoping to gain distance then the TM balls are not for you. Go with the TopFlite or the Wilson.

[u]Off the Puttter[/u]: A good putter can probably putt well with a child's alphabet block. Both of these TM balls feel equally soft off the putter. They both have a muted sound that doesn't cause the putter to ring. They are not perceivably different from most modern balls. A blind test (well, a nearly dark room) was used to test the feel of several brands of balls without knowing which ball was which. The old TopFlite was the only one readily identifiable (CLICK!).

[u]On Course Test Day[/u]:
On 2/18/2014, I got to the course early and was the second off as a single. A foursome ahead and a series of foursomes twenty minutes behind gave a large gap for experimentation. Perfect to pound 3 balls around the course from the same spots to enable a direct comparison.

The two TMs and my current choice, a yellow Strata Jet were the victims. Conditions were dew-soaked (on the front 9) hard fairways, cloudy, no wind, 50° start, 65° end, thick wet rough, and hard greens. Ball marks made on the greens were very shallow and didn't spit up any turf at all.

[u]Off a Partial Wedge / Chips[/u]:

Both TM balls checked up. The TP-X maybe a bit quicker but hard to tell precisely. There was no skip-skip-stop. But I'm not an experienced spin player either. Both TMs definitely stopped quicker than the Stata every time.

[u]Off Full Short Irons[/u]:

The two TMs flew very high and rolled out a bit. The TP seemed to only roll out a couple of feet while the TP-X rolled two to three times farther. Seems the opposite of the chips (?). Never did the balls back up on the firm greens. The Strata...well, it is a two piece ball. It had lower flight and longer run out. The TMs seemed 1/2 club shorter off a 7 or 8 iron.

[u]Off Long Irons[/u]:

As with the short irons, a well struck shot can be felt immediately through the compression on the clubface. Both TM balls start off high and then climb higher. The result is a softer-landing shot with a bit of a distance penalty compared to the Strata's more artillery-like shot trajectory and longer roll out. Not a full club shorter, however.

[u]Off Fairway Woods[/u]:

This area was the most impressive for the pair of TMs. Flight was similar to the long irons - high to higher but also ending up as long as the Strata. Factors might have been the greater swing speed (but still slow) with the longer shafts thus causing more compression, the wet ground conditions killing roll, and the lack of enough sample shots for a valid comparison. There is a nice solid feel as the balls seemed to linger on the clubface for just a millisecond.

The TMs didn't stray much side-to-side and remained in the fairway quite nicely.

[u]Off the Driver[/u]:

The TMs started a bit higher than the Strata and had a pleasant looking little extra lift about halfway through the flight - not a balloon, just a gasp. Generally they were remarkably straight. Sure, there was a little fade or draw due to swing inconsistencies but no sign of a violent hook or slice. On similarly stuck shots the Strata was consistently a few yards longer - pretty comparable.

[u]In the Wind[/u]:

There was no wind on that test day. But given the higher flight tendencies of the TMs a logical conclusion is that they will be more wind sensitive. This review will be updated when a round is played on a windy day.

[u]In the Water[/u]:

I'll bet they sink but didn't have a chance to confirm it.

[u]OB[/u]:

They seemed to fly pretty darn straight. These are not backyard-seeking balls. Not saying that it can't happen.

[u]Durability[/u]:

On the course only one tree was center-punched with an attempted 5 iron hook and there were no cart path adventures. The tree ball was carefully examined and a brown bark spot rubbed right off with no damage shown.

A single TP and a single TP-X ball were selected for a test on an indoor range simulator. The balls were subjected to two rounds of play on the simulator with the Driver through Sand Wedge. So they each were struck with a full swing approximately 100 times. To be fair, my swing speed is barely hard enough to crack a raw egg so ball damage is not an expectation. But my miss is usually thin so if there was a tendency to cut it would show up.

The balls were lined up so they would be struck on the same place. Given that maybe 1/10th of the ball surface was being struck and then struck on that same surface 100 consecutive times, it mathematically works out to a normal ball in play being struck 1000 times to get the same wear all over the surface of the ball. Since the balls were hit into a net there was no ground damage or other contact damage.

I don't know about you but 50 strikes on a single ball before it disappearing somewhere would be approaching an all-time high record for me. That is about one round of golf. Incidentally, my low record is one strike - achieved (too) many times.

Here is a photo of the torture test result. The only observation with a live look is that the cover was a bit less shiny in the contact area. You can be the judge.
[attachment=2085352:DSC00698.JPG]

[u]Conclusions[/u]:

I really could not definitively tell the TP and the TP-X apart and I purposely did not look at the label when playing the ball. Notice was taken only when the shot was reached.

Maybe the TP-X was just a bit longer than the TP but you'd need an Iron Byron or Trackman, rather than an old fool, doing the testing of the balls to get statistical evidence.

They are both nicely performing balls and give pleasant feedback on well struck shots. Would I regularly play them? Probably not - but because of the perceived needs of my game rather than their qualities. Minor changes in my game would be necessary if these were my "go to" ball.

Perhaps one of the low handicap, high swing speed testers that put them up against a Titleist entry, like the ProV1 or ProV1x (remarkable how the TM names have the same format), can give guidance for those players with similar traits.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

I've played them 3 rounds now but all days have been 50 degree Colorado weather. They performed as expected for premium balls (3 or more layers) and I don't have a favorite brand which I play faithfully. I'll play whatever deal I come across which could be Pro Vs, Nike One, Pentas, etc... Anyway, surprisingly I like the feel of the "X" over the TP because my buddies in California who played the balls too (both said the TP felt softer and the X was longer). I didn't notice any distance difference between the two though. We all noted that both models were durable - 3 rounds for me with no marks. I had no problems with holding greens (excellent spin) given the conditions here and they're a great ball. [b]Thanks Taylormade and GolfWRX![/b]

Handicap:  3

Interested in the X, been playing the TP5 and Lethal and look forward to trying these out!

Any comparison to the ol TP Red LDP??

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 6-U Dynamic Gold Mid

MG4 54/58 DG

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

I was selected for the test and will be comparing these balls to the TM TP Red LDP. When the Red was discontinued I went to every store and Pro Shop I could find and cleaned out their stock. At the time I had over 30 dozen of the Reds and have been searching for a replacement ever since. I have about half of that original stock left and continue the search for [b][u]the[/u][/b] ball that can truly replace it. Some background:

I live in Costa Mesa, CA, am 53 years old, index is 7, I play on weekends (Saturday & Sunday) and get out for 9 holes once a week in an after work league. Irons are Mizuno MP-33's, Bobby Jones Fairway Woods and Hybrids, TM RAC wedges, TM R9 Driver, and a Scotty Select Newport 2 Notchback putter. I am not a power player; my game is adequate length in play off the tee, hit the green if I can, try to get up and down when I don't, and clean it up in two putts or less. My Driver SS is 98 and depending upon the OEM, I bounce between Reg and Stiff shafts. Iron shafts are KBS Tour Stiff soft stepped, Driver and FWY wood shafts are Talamonti Stiff, Hybrids are Aldila DVS Reg.

What I like about the Red: Driver distance (~250 yards) is good for my SS with minimal side spin. Awesome wind ball. Predictable distance with consistent swings on all irons. Green side spin is just OK. Great putter feel with consistent distance on lag putts. The two areas where I wish the Red were better are durability and green side spin.

If you are a Red fan and there is anything in my background and game that you identify with, stay tuned for my coming test results. I have only been able to get 9 holes in with the Tour Preferred and nothing yet with the Tour Preferred X. This weekend is supposed to be rainy, cold and (I hope) windy, which should provide a good but tough environment to see how these balls perform.

I'll sign off with a little teaser for now - the 9 holes I played the Tour Preferred with were exciting. The ball reminded me a lot of the Red off the driver and irons. I did not get a chance to evaluate green side spin, wind performance, or durability but so far I am encouraged that this may be [u][b]that[/b][/u] ball.

I totally forgot, but I also agree, I hit a few really hard wedges that would normally tear the crap out of a ProV1 that barely showed a mark on the TP.

Unfortunately, I dunked it halfway though my round going for a tucked green on a par 5, so I am not able to take any pictures of it. The ball flight on these is great though. Pretty flat, seems like.

And the spin difference between the V1 and the V1x for me is around 500 rpm also, so I don't expect a HUGE difference between the TPx and the TP.

[quote name='VA_Astra' timestamp='1393298415' post='8739148']
Interested in the X, been playing the TP5 and Lethal and look forward to trying these out!

[/quote]

That would be a hard one since The TP Red LDP IMHO was one of the best balls ever!

Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Machine M6 Inspirer

[quote name='BENNYSUPREME' timestamp='1393312809' post='8740050']
[quote name='VA_Astra' timestamp='1393298415' post='8739148']

[/quote]

That would be a hard one since The TP Red LDP IMHO was one of the best balls ever!
[/quote]

I couldnt agree with you more! Like the Original E7, they had to change it up and screw up a perfectly good thing!

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 6-U Dynamic Gold Mid

MG4 54/58 DG

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

Thank you everyone, and great job. im sure glad i am a member here to git heads up on everything, thank you WRX.

[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]driver- R15 BLACK TP TOUR DEPT, SPEEDER STFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]3 WOOD- R15 TP TOUR DEPT, SPEEDER STIFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]5WOOD R15 TOUR DEPT, PROJECT X BLACK STIFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5] IRONS- RSI 2 4-G PROGRAMS STIFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5] WEDG- BV SM5 54 M GRIND - R SERIES TP EF SPIN 58[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]PUTTER-ODYSSEY WORKS VERSA 7 TANK.[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]BALL- TOUR PREFERD, [/size][/font][/i][/b]

I'd like to start by thanking GolfWRX and Taylormade for including me in this ball review. Life's been pretty hectic lately, so I haven't had much time for golf and/or WRX. Inclusion in this review was a great reminder of what I've been missing. At this point, I've only been able to play one round with the TP and TPX, and a session on the practice green. As I test further, I'll contribute more to the thread.

My background:
- index floats between 3 and 6 (6 is pretty generous right now)
- hit the ball pretty solid, keep driver in play, control distances w/ irons pretty well
- stock shot a draw, but prefer to use trajectory and shape to control distances and avoid missing
- putter and short game are streaky depending on time to practice
- high ball, high spin for my ss
- driver ss 103-106 MPH
- 150 yd 8i (MP33's w/ traditional lofts, and play near the coast)
- 265' avg. drive (varies a lot w/ conditions, but typical range is 255-280')
- currently playing ProV1x (also have liked older ProV1x, TM Penta, Bridgestone B330-S, TM TP Red LDP...)

The main things I look for in a ball are feel, distance, durability, and spin, especially off long clubs. I tend to like balls that are on the softer side, particularly when it comes to iron and wedge shots, and putting. However, being a relatively high ball, high spin player, I appreciate a ball that doesn't launch too high, or balloon off the driver. Playing near the coast, a ball that holds it's line through the wind is always a plus. For the last couple years, the ProV1x has offered the best balance of these characteristics. Other balls I've tried have either been too 'clicky', ballooned, seemed short, or cut too easily.

As for the TP and TPX:

Both balls performed how I'd expect a tour level ball to perform. The reality is, all tour level balls are fantastic these days, and truth be told, I could play any of them happily. However, after alternating between them for one round, there was a clear winner for me- the TPX. While I prefer the feel of the TP on chips and putts, it was up to a half club shorter on a number of iron shots. The TPX had a more 'lively' feel to me, whereas the TP felt a little 'sluggish'. More importantly, with the breeze up coming in, I had two consecutive solidly hit tee shots into the wind where it ballooned more than I expected- a hybrid into the par 3 17th, and a driver on 18. Outside of that, I noted that both balls held greens as I'd expect, and allowed me to play as I would normally. In fact, I think my biggest takeaway was this- a strong comparison can be made between the TP/TPx and ProV1/ProV1x. At is point, I prefer the TPX (for many of the reasons I prefer the ProV1x), and can essily see myself playing it regularly.

As I get more time with them, I'll try to add to my observations with some more measureable, objective results.

TM M1 430 9* / Aldila Rogue Silver 70S
Adams SuperLS 15* / Kuro Kage 70g S
Adams Idea Pro a12 20* / RIP VS Proto 80
Mizuno MP60 / TTDG S300
Vokey SM6 52*, Mizuno 56*, Vokey SM5 60*
Odyssey Milled Collection #9

I almost forgot to include photos of my balls...
[attachment=2086552:image.jpg]
This should speak to the durability of the TP/TPX. Completely acceptable to me, and about what I'd expect after half a round + of shots- Various scuffs, but no fins.
[attachment=2086556:image.jpg]
And a shot of an unplayed TP and TPX as well. They're really nice looking golf balls. ;)

TM M1 430 9* / Aldila Rogue Silver 70S
Adams SuperLS 15* / Kuro Kage 70g S
Adams Idea Pro a12 20* / RIP VS Proto 80
Mizuno MP60 / TTDG S300
Vokey SM6 52*, Mizuno 56*, Vokey SM5 60*
Odyssey Milled Collection #9

[quote name='mandudebro' timestamp='1393368642' post='8744524']
I almost forgot to include photos of my balls...[/quote]

I'll take "Phrases you thought you'd never see on the internet" for $200, Alex. :lol:

Great reviews! Keep 'em coming!

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

OK, late in the game as I have been REALLY busy at work and with the kids.

I was one of the few lucky chosen ones that received these balls from GolfWRX and Taylormade ---THANK YOU for the opportunity!

A little background about my game. Seems so long ago that my index was hovering above 5, then I hit a really BAD patch and saw that index climb. The harder I tried to get back to where I was, the harder I went shooting for the heavens! I mean, how does one shoot 2 or 3 over par on the front then shoot 12 or higher over par on the back??? I have been playing the ZStar XV (tour yellow) since 2011, and lately tried the Lethal a few months ago when a friend handed me a sleeve. What I liked most about the XV is its distance, durability and just the right amount of spin for MY game - I am not one who likes to spin the ball back. As long as the ball doesn't run 5 feet past where it lands off of a 5i, I am good with it! Before the XV, I was one of those cult followers of the legendary TP Red!

Now on to the new TM balls.

I only got a chance to play the TP "X" through 12 holes before I went OB and lost it over the fence! (see back nine comment above - how I shoot for the heavens)

From the first tee, I really liked its trajectory. Hit a 3 wood and went about 230-240 through thick moist air (we had fog the first two holes) - very good distance, on par with the XV. Then I hit 9i to 145, which came up 2 yards short of the green. Having played the XV for two years, I was quite familiar with the way it checked and rolled on the greens. So when I chipped the TP X, I played it as though I was playing the XV. Perfect game plan as the ball rolled exactly how the XV would have - inside two feet, PAR on the 1st hole!

I am not going to review my entire first 12 holes with this ball. However, I can confidently say that it gets about the same distance as the XV with iron shots and maybe 5-10 more yards to the XV on my best drives. OFF THE TEE with woods, both balls spin on par with each other. What I did notice, though, the TP X seemed to have more spin on iron shots off the tee and off tight lies. Chipping wise, I could not tell apart the difference...maybe I might have if I hit them side by side during the round, but I didn't.

Now, on to the durability. I put durability up the factor meter when shopping for a ball because I want a ball that will last me at least two rounds! I once went 4.5 rounds with the tour yellow. I was pleasantly surprised to see the ball with barely a scuff mark after 9 holes. I have played the XV in white, and after 9 holes, I would be able to see a scuff; something about the tour yellow that hid marks better than any white ball.

Now the real question - would I play/switch to this ball after 12 holes of play? The honest answer, YES! However, it's the price point that puts a real damper on that decision. If this ball plays almost the same as the (old) XV, with a little more spin, I cannot justify spending $45/dozen if I can stock up on the XV for $20-25/dozen. I will definitely watch for deals on these when they come out with the newer versions next year. I have 3 doz XV, 2 doz TP Red, 1 doz Lethal that will get me through the year.

Overall, it is a VERY GOOD ball! For those wanting to play the latest ball offerings, look no further if you like to play the "X" type. I even like these better than the new XV Spin Skin. Don't ask me to compare it to the Pro V1x because I abandoned that ball in 2011, and didn't care much for the new model.

How does it compare the the TP Reds, you asked? WAY BETTER ball than TP Reds! I am going to get kicked out of the cult after that statement. But here's why...the TP Reds do not have the same durability as the newer models, and distance wise the newer materials (and maybe newer dimple patterns) offer better distance off all clubs.

I almost forgot...I don't know where to insert this above, but the feeling off the putter face is BETTER than XV! I would put the feel as "medium-soft."

I REALLY like the Tour Preferred X, it's the price that is going to keep me from jumping ship (at the moment!).

I was going to review the "regular" TP this weekend, but rain is in the forecast so I don't know how much feedback I would get, and not sure I'm playing yet...so more to come....

Thanks, again, GolfWRX and Taylormade!

(BTW, thanks for the WRX markers!!!)

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

Great reviews, gentlemen! I received some of both the Tour Preferred and Tour Preferred X while on the #insideTMAG trip in December. Really liked the Tour Preferred X but, since then I have been snowed in!! Can't wait till spring!!

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

[quote name='PMAC' timestamp='1393541712' post='8760966']
Indoor use did a number on this one.