2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Nike VRS Covert Forged Iron Love thread... Wowzie! Comparison Pics added...

easyyy

These irons are amazing! I'm sooo glad I took the plunge and bought them. I was gaming SGI irons (callaway RazrX HL) and wasn't sure if I was good enough to play these. I was afraid it would take me months of playing them to grow into them and be able to hit them well. Nope. I hit these irons even better then my Callaway's right from the start. People throw around the term "feel like butter" all the time, but I'm going to throw it out here myself. The feel of these irons is unbelievable.

If you are on the fence about buying these irons, just do it.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway Rogue 17°, 21°
Mizuno Pro 225 (4-GW)
Bettinardi H2 54°, 58° Wedges
Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V1

I finally got to hit these off of real grass tonight at the range. I must say i am very impressed. They are ultra forgiving as i had to purposely try to hit bad shots with them. They feel really good and come off the face too. Nike has a very nice product with these irons. I am going to hit them again on a course tomorrow.

[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1394414748' post='8836245']
Saw the review on these in the latest Golf Magazine and they were rated the highest GI irons. Lots of serious contenders too including the AP1 and the G25 (which usually wins), but the Covert Forged got the "Highest Rated Irons in Category". Nike is seriously doing some good work. Hopefully the word spreads and people start finally giving them a legitimate shot.
[/quote]

I think it would be misleading to compare the covert 2 forged with AP1 much less the G25 irons. As far as I can see, I would put them in the AP2 category,which unfortunately throws me out of the market for these irons-not enough forgiveness!!

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2

Saw the review on these in the latest Golf Magazine and they were rated the highest GI irons. Lots of serious contenders too including the AP1 and the G25 (which usually wins), but the Covert Forged got the "Highest Rated Irons in Category". Nike is seriously doing some good work. Hopefully the word spreads and people start finally giving them a legitimate shot.

I think it would be misleading to compare the covert 2 forged with AP1 much less the G5 irons. As far as I can see, I would put them in the AP2 category,which unfortunately throw me out of the market for these irons-not enoughtforgiveness!!

I would disagree. I think they fit well into the AP1 category, not the AP2. Here are some comparison photos.

Covert Forged (Left) vs. AP1 (Right)

4i

IMG_1221_zpsa348ee76.jpg

8i

IMG_1219_zps7e8287c6.jpg

I find the biggest improvement the covert 2 makes over the original vrs forged is the soles. I could not use the vrs forged and had to sell after a couple of rounds with them because the sole interaction with turf was giving me some serious issues. No problem off of mats but get on fairways the soles did not work for me a little bit. The new covert forged has fixed this with their new grind, much better with normal results. I am generally a callaway ho but picked these over the new Apex because they were better in every aspect for me. I also like the improved look at address of the new covert forged versus the original vrs forged as u don't see the lump of metal hanging off the back/bottom of the 4 and 5 iron.

[quote name='topr' timestamp='1400532534' post='9325883']
To me CF aesthetically sets right in the middle...AP1.5, play-ability for me was closer to an AP1 than AP2
[/quote]

This. They have plenty of forgiveness, but aren't as bulky as a SGI iron. Perfect blend of the two.

Callaway Rogue 17°, 21°
Mizuno Pro 225 (4-GW)
Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='SD-Golfn' timestamp='1400598913' post='9331509']
To me CF aesthetically sets right in the middle...AP1.5, play-ability for me was closer to an AP1 than AP2
[/quote]

This. They have plenty of forgiveness, but aren't as bulky as a SGI iron. Perfect blend of the two.
[/quote]

Crossfield has done a u tube review of this iron,and he seemed to put them in the JPX 825 Pro and the AP2 crowd. :derisive:

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2

[quote name='puttitin' timestamp='1400603993' post='9332231']
[quote name='SD-Golfn' timestamp='1400598913' post='9331509']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Crossfield has done a u tube review of this iron,and he seemed to put them in the JPX 825 Pro and the AP2 crowd. :derisive:
[/quote]

If you are a 15 handicap you can easily hit these.

Callaway Rogue 17°, 21°
Mizuno Pro 225 (4-GW)
Titleist Pro V1

[/quote]

Coming from AP1s and having hit AP2s many times, I completely agree. Aesthetically and forgiveness-wise they are somewhere in the middle. That said, they feel completely different than either Titleist, which makes sense considering they don't employ a dampening material in the cavity.

Titleist TSR3
Titleist TSR2 3 Wood
Titleist TSR2 3-4 Hybrids
PXG Gen3 P, Nippon NS Pro
PXG Sugar Daddy 54/60
Scotty GoLo

Finally got to hit them last night. I can't believe these are forged because they felt very hot and powerful. I am currently playing the AP2s, and IMO the CF is much longer and more forgiving than my AP2s. Very interesting offering from Nike. I think it's worth a try for anyone who's looking for a good looking distance irons.

[quote name='That Bob Guy' timestamp='1400628357' post='9335077']
Demo day here Friday. I'll try to get the low down on their availability.
[/quote]

Please do, especially ability to custom order.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

[quote name='CEPick' timestamp='1400722725' post='9343735']
Talked to Nike rep at our demo day today. As of last week, NO custom orders until further notice. May be fall at earliest. There is just a shortage.
[/quote]

While this totally sucks for this year, I think it means exciting things for next year. Nike (and other manufacturers) are definitely taking note that there is a market for "tweener" irons, especially when forged. I bet there will be a huge influx of irons like these, a la the Apex & SLDR.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

While I love these irons, I'm extremely frustrated with how I was treated by Nike CS and their customs department. they messed up my custom order and are apparently not willing to make things right. Their explanation of "nothing that they can do for me" just doesn't cut it.

As it stands these irons are all between 1/4" and 3/8" too short. I'm not willing to add extensions, regrip and/or reshaft MAINLY because this was not my mistake. If this was any other OEM, I'd have new irons by now or at the very least new shafts in my irons.

Just because they're out of heads doesn't mean that they can't do anything. Reshaft them, whatever, I don't really care. Hell, I'll even let this mess go... (photobucket is down) When shipping BACK to me, the box was severely torn up, and it looks like some of the irons were dragged on concrete and have dings in them.

Nike CS has been no help whatsoever, they barely responded to me on twitter and I assume that will go nowhere, so I am at a loss what to do. It seems I'm destined to not have any luck with these irons so if anyone wants some Nike Covert Forged 2.0 irons 5-AW with DG Pro shafts and Tour Velvet grips all between 1/4" and 3/8" short and a few irons being dinged up, and have 2 rounds on them, then shoot me a PM.

Changing...

Been considering these for about one month - club pro is a Nike player. Played with his set (exactly what I play in terms of setup). Hadn't had a chance to hit them on the range and in the mean time we had a Nike, Callaway, Taylormade, Ping and Cleveland demo day. I didn't get a chance to spend time hitting the Nike clubs. Had spent the next week in simulators and with launch monitor and had decided the Apex was my club. Final test was taking the Apex 6i, Club Pro's Nike CF 6i, and my 712 AP2 6i (bent to 28* to make sure loft was not an issue). Let's just say that after 15 balls each - I should have gone with my gut and bought the Nike's 1 month ago.

Why? Cause today I found out Nike is on backorder for 4 weeks. But then the club pro decided since I'm the only one that has hit his clubs (he literally hadn't played with them) I could buy his and he'll wait.

Humbled to say the least.

[b]Driver: [/b] PXG Gen5 0311 10.5*, 45” Motore F3 X-Stiff
[b]Fairway: [/b] PXG Gen 5 0311 15*, 43” Motore F3 X-Stiff
[b]Hybrids/Driving Irons: [/b]
[b]Irons: [/b] Titleist T-100S 3i-GW, +1/2” 1* Up, Modus 105T Stiff 
[b]Wedges: [/b] Titleist Vokey SM9 53* & 58* Modus 105T Stiff (both 36”)
[b]Putter: [/b] LowTide Fin Custom (23rd Putter made), 33.5", 303 Stainless
[b]Grips: [/b] .58 Tour Velvet Cord +1 wrap, Pure Grip Putter (Std)

[b]Ball: [/b] 2021 Vice Pro Plus / Pro 

[b]Bag & Headcovers: [/b] Varies 🙂

Picking mine up today! +1" and 2* up with dg pro s300. Coming from original callaway x forged with px6.0 these were nearly a club longer, stronger trajectory and look fantastic. I've stook with the callaways for so long as never found anything else that really fit my eye that would offer a bit more forgiveness than the x forged ( don't get to play as much as I'd like to)
Also picking up covert 2.0 performance driver but with kuro kage silver tiNi shaft X. First time I'm gonna game something other than a titleist driver in about 15 years but I think the covert looks great, feels great and with the performance head just goes straight!!

[quote name='runpuddrun' timestamp='1400728716' post='9344541']
While I love these irons, I'm extremely frustrated with how I was treated by Nike CS and their customs department. they messed up my custom order and are apparently not willing to make things right. Their explanation of "nothing that they can do for me" just doesn't cut it.

As it stands these irons are all between 1/4" and 3/8" too short. I'm not willing to add extensions, regrip and/or reshaft MAINLY because this was not my mistake. If this was any other OEM, I'd have new irons by now or at the very least new shafts in my irons.

Just because they're out of heads doesn't mean that they can't do anything. Reshaft them, whatever, I don't really care. Hell, I'll even let this mess go... (photobucket is down) When shipping BACK to me, the box was severely torn up, and it looks like some of the irons were dragged on concrete and have dings in them.

Nike CS has been no help whatsoever, they barely responded to me on twitter and I assume that will go nowhere, so I am at a loss what to do. It seems I'm destined to not have any luck with these irons so if anyone wants some Nike Covert Forged 2.0 irons 5-AW with DG Pro shafts and Tour Velvet grips all between 1/4" and 3/8" short and a few irons being dinged up, and have 2 rounds on them, then shoot me a PM.
[/quote]

This just a repeat of the complaint you posted two pages back. Have you send a letter to Cindy Davis to see if this could be corrected?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='KKS62' timestamp='1400745859' post='9345257']
So nobody has heard what the difference between these two golf clubs is: VR S Covert Forged and VR S Forged Irons. Their spec. seems to be exactly identical. The prices for these sets are totally different: VR S Covert Forged More than 1000USD and VR S Forged Irons 600USD?
[/quote]

Actually the shafts are different. The VRS Forged has a high trajectory version of the shaft used in the VRS Covert Forged. Also the $600 for the VRS Forged is a clearance price. The standard selling prices for the VRS Covert Forged is $100 higher than what the VRS Forged sold for.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft