2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

The $5000 TaylorMade SLDR Guarantee - 20 GolfWRXers. 4 Locations. Details here!

March 28: Part 2 of the SLDR Guarantee for GolfWRX

Well, the lucky 20 GolfWRX members are set and all are excited to visit TaylorMade Performance labs around the county. They have their doubts about the SLDR driver and TaylorMade is out to prove them wrong. Now an apples-to-apples driver comparison is fun, but TaylorMade is prepared to put their money where their mouth is...literally. Check out this short video.

That's right. TaylorMade is putting up $5000 cash at each location. For every yard a GolfWRX members driver beats SLDR, they'll earn $25. For every yard SLDR beast the GolfWRXer's driver, they'll earn $25.

Get ready! Look for a thread next Friday where we cover the results LIVE on GolfWRX.

Lets see who earns the most!

March 21: Original Announcement Below

APPLICATION PERIOD HAS ENDED. PLEASE DO NOT APPLY.

Today, TaylorMade Golf launched its SLDR Guarantee campaign nationwide. If you buy the SLDR Driver anytime today through June and you don’t love the new distance, TaylorMade will give you your money back. You can't really beat that.....or can you?

TaylorMade knows that GolfWRX members are different. You want to see through the marketing. You analyze every inch of every club. You want to know the full tech story behind everything. Some of you have tried the SLDR and love it. Some like it. This event is not for you. Watch this short video for the full message for us from TaylorMade's Tom Kroll.

TaylorMade wants GolfWRX members who are skeptics, the non-believes and the doubters of low, forward CG design that powers the SLDR driver to take this challenge. 20 GolfWRX members will be flown to 4 different TaylorMade Performance Labs across the country. Each will be fit for SLDR and test their driver head-to-head with TaylorMade's flagship big stick.

LOCATIONS

• The Jim Flick Kingdom, Carlsbad, CA
  • TMPL at Gleneagles, near Dallas, TX
  • TMPL at TPC Sawgrass, near Jacksonville, FL
  • The Kingdom at Reynolds, near Atlanta, GA

DATE

April 4, 2014 - Look for the LIVE thread

(trip will be April 3-5 for attendees and include a round of golf as well)

How will they ensure the results are fair? Data. Cold hard numbers. Launch monitors will be used in each location to ensure similar swings and prevent sandbagging. GolfWRX will have reps at each location and we'll cover it live for you.

THE WRINKLE

There is an extra wrinkle to this challenge coming soon. Attendees will find out soon enough so stay tuned.

THE ATTENDEES

When you're looking for skeptics, it's hard to post and trip thread and get pure honesty. What about those who just want a free trip? In order to prevent that, we're sending out invites to 15 members via PM today who have previous posted their doubts and criticisms about SLDR. They'll be announced soon.

5 SPOTS OPEN (HOW TO ENTER)

Having said that, we also believe the general membership should have a chance to attend, provided they are a skeptic, doubter or hater. So do you want to attend? Do you doubt the SLDR technology? Enter below. Give us your best reasons why you think you should attend (no lying!) and we'll pick 5 shortly.

• Handicap:
  • Current driver set-up:

GO!

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[size=4]Handicap: 3.9[/size]
[list]
[*][size=4]Location: Atlanta[/size]
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: I have not found anything lower spinning than my current set up. I took ages to get me there. I launch low and spin a ton![/size]
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up: Adams Super LS 9 degree, Fuel Tour Spec 60S. Custom fit and built at Golf Etc Evansville[/size]
[/list]

[b]Handicap: [/b]2.2
[b]Location:[/b] I reside in Kansas City, so Dallas would be closest. However, I would travel anywhere for this opportunity.
[b]Reason why you should attend:[/b] I don't think this technology is [i]new[/i]. Actually according to Taylormade's own marketing and website, the Stage 2 driver, which has a current spot in my bag, sports low and forward COG. What is different with the SLDR? Is it just a bigger marketing push with similar technology? Why shouldn't I just pick up a Stage 2 head in a higher loft? That is what I want to know. I would like the opportunity to test Taylormade's two recent models that have touted this low and forward COG head-to-head and determine if the technological advancements are genius or marketing genius. Also, I want to see if this head allows higher swing-speed players to utilize shafts with more "feel" that usually have more spin.
[b]Current driver set-up: [/b]Taylormade Stage 2 Tour played at 44.5" with Oban Devotion 6 05.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Awesome giveaway/contest GolfWRX. If I wasn't already a little TM biased I would sign up in heartbeat.

Test out the SLDR and Jetspeed people, you will be pleasantly surprised!!

Titleist TSi2 9° - Mitsubishi Tensei White 60 X

Ping G400 14.5° - Matrix Black tie 7M3 SG

Ping G400 17.5° - Aldila HM-40 Tour Gold Tour 95 S

Titleist 818 H1 22° - Aldila NV 95 X

Callaway Rogue Pro 4-PW - True Temper XP 95 ST15 S300 (Black)

Vanilla Wedge 50°, 55°, & 60° - KBS 610 Wedge S

Scotty Cameron Golo s5 34"

Member of #teamjetspeed - December 2013

Handicap: 8-ish (haven't been able in a LONG time!)
Reason I should attend: This should speak for itself (what timing on my part!)- [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/989497-who-is-lofting-up-for-actually-disclaimer-this-is-long-with-no-pictures-and-requires-some-reading/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...s-some-reading/[/url] I'd suggest reading it!- [b]"[color=#323232]Who is "Lofting Up" for, Actually?"[/color][/b]
Current driver set up: Big Bertha Alpha 9* (set +1*, N), Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 stiff, 45", NDMC red/ whiteout +2 wraps

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

[list]
[*][size=4]Handicap: 10[/size]
[*][size=4]Location: New York[/size]
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: [/size]Last taylormade driver was an R1 that I sold a week after buying, haven't been able to buy in to the taylormade hype since then
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up: Ping G25 9.5* Tour Speeder 7.2 S[/size]
[/list]

Thanks for the opportunity

Handicap - 5
Location - Chicago
Reason why - I have played older generation TM drivers with great results and never see any distance gains.
The COR rule from 2004 should make all driver faces equal.
Current set-up - R1 with Speeder 7.2TS stiff set at neutral , 45" , D4 or 425TP with VS Proto 70x ( both the same reults )

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

[list]
[*]Handicap: 1.3
[*]Location: New York City
[*]Reason why you should attend: I've gone through a dozen drivers and have yet to find one that launches high enough without ballooning. I also want to know if this lofting up stuff is really true.
[*]Current driver set-up: Wishon Golf 919THI 9.5 bent 1 Open, 54 lie. Wishon S2S Black 85 X tipped tipped 0.5" 44.25".
[/list]

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[list]
[*]Handicap: ~12
[*]Location: San Diego, CA
[*]Reason why you should attend: I fully believe that once you reach a certain level of proficiency it's the indian and not the arrow. Granted, I have nice arrows - but I honestly find it hard to believe that a SLDR can be THAT much better than what I have, which performs quite well for me. Especially if you throw in equivalent premium shaft like my Fujikura...I just don't see it. I am receptive to it being possible and will accept hard data, but I've hit enough drivers (admittedly NOT the SLDR) to have a feeling that it's unlikely.
[*]Current driver set-up: 913 D2 9.5* with Fujikura Pro 63 X-fex
[/list]

Just noticed the date and won't be able to participate. Leaving comments in case they can help in some way.

[list]
[*]Handicap: 2.3
[*]Location: GA, but would happily attend any location
[*]Reason why you should attend: I haven't bagged a TM driver since the R11 Dot and even that was short lived. I've played Titleist drivers almost exclusively since high school with the exception of the R11 Dot and my current driver. After all the hype surrounding it, I purchased a tour issue SLDR with Aldila Rogue. I wanted to give it a real shot and from what I can tell the rogue is the go to shaft on tour these days. Unfortunately, in my experience through fitting and testing, it didn't live up to the claims and I sold it after a couple weeks. There were no marked advantages to it that I saw and I lost some forgiveness vs. other drivers. The science behind the SLDR seems to make sense and the look and feel of the club were nice, but the performance just wasn't there for me.
[*]Current driver set-up: Ping i25/Ping G25, UST Chrome/Kuro Kage TiNi Proto
[/list]

• Titleist TSR3 10* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

[list]
[*][b]Handicap[/b]: 13
[*][b]Location[/b]: Ann Arbor, MI
[*][b]Reason why you should attend[/b]: Never been a fan of TaylorMades Marketing. Coming out with 2 new drivers every year, and saying that its twenty yards further, than last years model(s). If I upgrade my driver every year I should be hitting it 450 yds? I would much rather be accurate than long also, and I feel TaylorMades marketing is to focused on yardage.
[*][b]Current driver set-up[/b]: LH Nike 9.5 VRpro LTD Edition
[/list]

[list]
[*]Handicap: 9
[*]Location: Atlanta
[*][color="#282828"]Reason why you should attend: I'm big into the science and data behind why golf clubs behave the way they do. I'm also extremely skeptical of the 17/1700 thing. It sounds way too "convenient" to be actual proof. I would love the opportunity to see the technology in action and see if my skepticism is unwarranted. (it usually is, lol)[/color]
[*]Current driver set-up: Ping G25 9.5 Diamana ahina 70 stiff
[/list]

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

I don't normally enter contests but this doesn't really seem like a contest for me. Here goes:

[b]Cap[/b] = 4

[b]Location[/b] = walking distance to The Kingdom @ Lake Oconee (you wouldn't have to pay my travel or lodging; this would also eliminate any bias from receiving a free trip)

[b]Reason[/b] = I have tried and tried to make the SLDR work for me. The 460 and the 430 have not been longer during multiple fittings. I would have bought the driver if it was. I wanted the 430 really bad but I just couldn't afford to lose the distance. Call me old fashioned, but I believe that ball speed is what makes the ball go farther, not lofting up. I'd rather hit a 7* driver with a high launch angle rather than a 14* degree driver with a high launch angle. Prove me wrong. (you can check my posts, while I'm not as vocal as some of the 'haters', these thoughts are consistent with what I write.)

[b]Current[/b] = Big Bertha Alpha 9* (bought it because 'loft up' didn't work for me)

[list]
[*]Handicap: 1.3
[*]Location: Any Location
[*]Reason why you should attend: I want to see if this loft up program is for real. My 8.5° Driver with the BB shaft and AoA of +3 gets me 16° launch and 1900 speed. Show me your Loft Up TaylorMade.
[*]Current driver set-up: 913 D2 8.5° with A1 setting, 45" with Graphite Design BB-6 Stiff
[/list]

Ping G400 LST 8.5° ~ AD-IZ 6s
Titleist 915 16.5° F ~ AD-GT 7s
Titleist 915 21° H ~ AD-DI 85s
Epon AF-302 4-PW ~ Recoil Proto 110s
Miura 1957 51°| 55° | 59° ~ Recoil Proto 110s
EVNRoll ER3

[b]HANDICAP[/b]: 6
[b]LOCATION:[/b] Toronto, Canada
[b]REASON[/b]: I have hit the SLDR multiple times and never seem to be able to dial it in and get solid results, every time I have tested it against my Stage 2 Tour the distances have been almost the same with accuracy going to my Stage 2 Tour. Also, I would love to be part of an event like this and share my thoughts on the entire experience and the results to the WRX community!
[b]CURRENT SET UP[/b]: Taylormade Stage 2 Tour 9*, 44.5", Fujikura Motore Speeder 6.3x Tour Spec, Played at one notch lower then standard @ 8.5*

9* (@10.5*) Cobra LTDx LS w/ Tensei White 60s - 44.5"
11.5* Taylormade 300 Mini w/ Ventus Blue TR 7s - 43" 
18* Stealth 2 Plus w/ Ventus Blue 7s - 42.5"

21* TSR2 Hybrid w/ Tour AD DI 85s - 39.75"
ZX5 5 iron, ZX7 6-pw w/ Modus 120s
SM9 50 08F w/ Modus 120s

SM9 54 12D w/ Modus 120s

High Toe 3 Chrome 58/07 @  59/08 LB 
33" Scotty Cameron X5 Phantom 2022

Handicap: +2
Reason why you should attend: always been a fan of TM drivers but for some reason the LOFT UP campaign didn't do anything for me. I also was chosen to be apart of the SLDR pre release fitting but had to give it up because my kid broke his arm :( So I need some redemption for a GOLFWRX TRIP!! I would love to do this and be proven wrong on the SLDR!
Current driver set-up: R1 v2 TD3xxx w/ UST Tour SPX SILVER 6X

HC 7.4
Denver, CO

I feel I should attend because I represent the taylormade loyalist that really wants it buy into this concept, but so far cannot. The sldr has in no way surpassed the R1 I own, and the sound and feel have turned me off so far as well. I've written in other threads that I buy the theory and really want to believe, but until it's proven to me, I see no reason to loft up more than 10 degrees, where I currently stand. Launch monitors at golf galaxy and golfsmith have yet to find a good match for my swing to achieve more distance, and it's making me think about going back to Big Bertha or to try Ping to be honest. I want to believe! But right now I'm a huge sceptic.

Currently playing an R1, Kuro Kage Silver TiNi S flex, 44.5 inches.

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

Handicap: 8.0

Reason Why I should attend: Have tried several Drivers since 2011 but nothing has beaten my current gamer for both distance and accuracy.

Current Driver set-up: Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 9.5 degree stock stiff shaft

Thank you for the opportunity!

[list]
[*][size=4]Handicap: 12[/size]
[*][size=4]Location: New Jersey, but would gladly atttend any of the locations.[/size]
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: I have no belief that this new technology is any better than what I have now, and its more about just finding the right head/shaft, regardless of manufacturuer.[/size]
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up: Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5, GD AD-DI 6X[/size]
[/list]

[list]
[*]Handicap: 8
[*]Location: Raleigh, NC
[*]Reason why you should attend: Honestly, I don't believe the hype. I play with guys that have a SLDR and other drivers. The SLDR is no longer for them vs their older equipment. I am willing to be proved wrong, head to head with my current driver
[*]Current driver set-up: Ping i15 with Tour S at 8 degrees
[/list]

Great idea, and thanks for the opportunity.[list]
[*]Handicap: +0.3
[*]Location: Oklahoma City, OK
[*]Reason why you should attend: Simply put, I don't think the SLDR is forgiving enough compared to today's 913/G25 types. Taylormade is pushing low and forward CG to amateurs that really need shorter shafts and higher spin.
[*]Current driver set-up: 913D2 10.5 Aldila ATX Green 65 X tipped an inch
[/list]

[list]
[*][size=4]Handicap: 9[/size]
[*][size=4]Location: Balmy Minnesota[/size]
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: I'm on Spring Break that week from teaching, and need to "get away"[/size]
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up: Big Bertha 10.5 (N/S) Oban Devotion6 04 @ 45.25"[/size]
[/list]

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag