2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The $5000 TaylorMade SLDR Guarantee - 20 GolfWRXers. 4 Locations. Details here!

Handicap: 3
Reason Why I should attend: I was a huge fan of the original r7. I have tried most all of TaylorMade's (and most other OEMs for that matter) newer technology since the r7 and do not get any better results on the course. I'm not a TaylorMade hater, but definitely skeptical of marketing hype.
Current driver set-up: Titleist 910 D3 with Oban Devotion stiff shaft.

TSr4 Ventus Blue Velocore TR 6x
TSr3 15* Ventus Blue Velocore TR 7x
SLDR 2 Hybrid Hzrdus Matrix Blacktie S
T100s 4-P PX 6.5
SM9 50F, 55S PX 6.5 and 60M S400
Newport

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one is easy for me,

I have had a TM Driver in my bag year after year after year with nothing but GREAT results dating back to the Tour Burner Aldila Gold set up. High praise for the R500 TP series, R5, R7,R7 425, SQ, R9, R9 460 ST, and R11s heads.

I still have the R7 425, SQ, ST and play the R11s, BUT this SLDR, I have pretty much given up on as I just got a Jet Speed head two days ago. I still own a SLDR head but I am not sure why? I guess this is the reason why! To have someone show me that it's better then all the rest of the heads that I mentioned. To prove to me that it is the best head TM has ever produced like Tom said. To prove to me that "LOFTING UP" works for me (which never has in any head as I play a 8.5) and MOST of all, prove that this head can find fairways just as good as my past TM offerings and to be in places that I have never been before.

Based on all my testing of my SLDR I am darn sure ready to be shown that I was WRONG! My R11s is daring the SLDR and in fact, it is double daring it!

I have been very hard on the SLDR with my post here on WRX. I have shown pictures of the very upright lie against past offerings. I have question anyone that has said it's the Indian, not the arrow. I have question those about face angle and actual loft (see the JS 12 degree PGA Tour winner post) and I have mentioned that if it wasn't for some drives that one falls in love with, I would have given up long ago. I have tried since August to make it work and still nothing.

I know that there something there with the SLDR, but someone needs to PROVE it to me please! I have never been so lost, confused, and felt love/hate with with a TM driver, Ever!

I am soooo darn ready to be proven wrong and walk away with a big TM smile and wipe the KOOL Aid from my upper lip, so count this skeptic IN!

Handicap: 4.9
Location: Renton, Wa. Home of the Super Bowl Champions Seattle Seahawks
Reason why I should attend: as mentioned above and I think it's only fair to support those that have supported you over the years.
Current Driver Set Up: TM R11s GD DI 6 Stiff......COME get some SLDR! Hey SLDR, my ST and SQ also want a piece of you too buddy!

■ Handicap: 3.8

■ Location: Los Angeles, CA (I'll Drive to Carlsbad, save the plane ticket!)

■ Reason why you should attend: I don't believe in 17° 1700rpm. I want them to proove that that is optimal. If they can prove their set up is better, I'll leave my old driver at the door. But I'm a skeptic of the whole super high launch super low spin.

■ Current driver set-up: TM RBZ 10° w/ Oban Devotion 65x or 2007 Burner TP 8.5° w/ Matrix RUL 60x depending on course/wind.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

[list]
[*][size=4]Handicap: +1[/size]
[*][size=4]Location: Salt Lake City, UT[/size]
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: I am currently going back and forth between the SLDR and an old Titleist 975. I want to like the SLDR, but my stats are showing me that I am actually shorter and less accurate with it than my Titleist. I have played the 975 since 2002, and after getting on a launch monitor with it last year found that my spin #'s were in the high 3000 to low 4000 range. I hit the ball a long way with it though, and for the most part was fairly accurate (58% FW). I tried the SLDR with a friend who did some club fitting on the side and he convinced me that it was time for a new driver. I bought the SLDR in October and have been fighting with it ever since. If I hit it perfectly, I am pleased with the result. I find that if I'm off by even a tiny bit, my results are awful. I don't know if I just need to be fit better, or if this just isn't the club for me, but I would love for a professional fitter to help me out with this! Otherwise I do see myself going in a different direction. I am already looking at other options and am tempted to go with the 913D3, as I'm convinced Titleist's overall performance is superior. [/size]
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up:[/size] Back and forth between Titleist 975 LFE and SLDR.
[/list]

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

[list]
[*]Handicap (index): 8.6
[*]Location: Mission Viejo, CA
[*]Reason I should attend: 1 - I would be very surprised if any new club would gain me more than 5 to 10 yards. This small gain is not worth the $400 cost of a new club. 2 - I can drive to Carlsbad so TM can save the $ for airfare.
[*]TM 2010 Burner Superfast with regular Xcon-5 shaft
[/list]

[list]
[*][size=4]Handicap: 14 (not official)[/size]
[*][size=4]Location: Culpeper, VA[/size]
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: I'm a fairly low spin golfer. I have never had an issue getting my driver spin numbers in the low 2000 rpm range, no matter what driver.[/size] For that reason I'm not sold that the low and forward cg could help me, thus I have steered clear of the SLDR.
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up:[/size] Ping G25 10.5* with Tour AD DJ-6x
[/list]

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1395416081' post='8918231']
I know one guy that I hope got picked. WHoever it is, hope you all have some fun! :D

--kC
(I'm travelling for work that week, and I love my RBZ, so I wouldn't be entering anyways!)
[/quote]

Me too....Tom Wishon... :derisive: ....Have fun boys!!! Looking forward to the reviews.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

[list]
[*]Handicap: 8.2
[*]Location: Arlington, VA
[*]Reason why you should attend: I'm not convinced the SLDR offers the best combination of distance and forgiveness compared to similar drivers. Many of the reviews I have read criticize the SLDR on the forgiveness front and say that due to the low spin and low MOI of the SLDR balls that start off line continue to go further offline. Low spin and an extra 15 yards does nothing to help if the club is harder to control off the tee than its competitors. I think most would rather be shorter and in the first cut than 15yds farther and in the deep rough. Does the SLDR technology really have a significant affect on the flight of the ball, the weight isn't that heavy? If I buy an off the rack head will I really get the same performance as a tour player, I hear their heads are much lighter than stock and have been hot-melted to move the CG lower and farther back to increase MOI?
[*]Current driver set-up: Nike Covert Tour 2.0 UST ATTAS 4U or Nike VR LTD UST VTS TourSPX Red
[/list]

Cobra LTDx LS Diamana B 70
TEE CB4 Tour 15° Attas T2
SLDR 3H Speeder HB 9.8

Honma TW 737 P 4 iron
Honma TR 20V 5-PW PX LS
Vokey SM7 52° & 58°
Tour Issue Toulon Austin

Handicap: 6

Reason why you should attend: I've never come close to 17* & 1700 spin and would love to get fit for opital distance.

Current driver set-up: Nike Covert 2.0 with stock KK at 11.5 (and I'm still at 12-13 launch and high 2000 spin)

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

[quote name='chiguy' timestamp='1395413246' post='8917847']
Should I fire up the Delorean to go on the trip from March 3-5?
[/quote]

You're going to need a good flux capacitor
[list]
[*]Handicap: 9
[*]Location: I suppose the Dallas, TX site is the closest
[*]Reason why you should attend: I gave up on Taylormade after the R11 due to not getting the most out of the tech. It seems like you absolutely need to get fit for their products with both shaft and all the clubhead adjustments. Went to what I have now for a much simpler set of adjustments. I also am not entirely sold on the idea that this is the only driver to produce low enough spin that you can simply "loft up" and produce a better TOTAL distance. Sure my carry might be good, but after roll? Not sold.
[*]Current driver set-up: Nike Covert Tour, set to 10.5 (atm), Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 6.2
[/list]

Taylormade M1 460 - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 fairway - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 hybrids 4&5 - Aldila Rouge 110
Taylormade PSi Tour irons - KBS Tour
Taylormade EF Wedges ATV Grind - KBS Wedge
Nike Method Mod 60

[list]
[*]Handicap: 3.4
[*]Location: Winston-Salem, NC
[*]Reason why you should attend: I would relish the opportunity to get correctly fit. I have tied the SLDR numerous times, and have just not been impressed that it was that much better than my current gamer. If I could find anything that would outperform my current RBZ than I would have to put in the bag. The RBZ is pretty much automatic, and is one of the club that I have so much confidence in; but if I could find something that was longer that would be great. I appreciate the opportunity to participate.
[*]Current driver set-up: RBZ Tour 9 Degree's Diamana Kai'Li 70X Playing 44.5 inches long and D3.5 swingwieght.
[/list]

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

hdcp : 6.2
reason : I have hit the SLDR but am skeptical as a low spin player that without spending a ton of money could find a setup that works best for me. I would love the opportunity
Current : Titleist 913 D2 10.5 Open setting (9.75 effective loft) 45.125" @ D2 with DI-6S tipped 1"
backup: Callaway BB Alpha gravity core down, 11deg, 5gm in toe, 1gm in heel. 45.125" @ D2 with DI-6S tipped 1" (same reason i am skeptical. as this was very difficult to find the right setup with this one).

Very good looking product and would love the opportunity. Thanks again to Taylormade and GolfWRX for providing this opportunity!

First off, thanks to taylormade and WRX for this amazing opportunity!

Handicap: 10

Reason why you should attend: I've always played TM product, but I'm not really sold on the whole "loft up" campaign. Here is way: I've tried the SLDR and Jetspeed multiple times at Golfsmith, pga superstore and Edwin watts here in Atlanta and my spin is always in the window of 2800-3200 and 8-10* launch. I've tried both drivers in 9.5, 10.5 and 12* and the numbers are always the same. I've even tried different shafts set ups; matrix 6Q3, motore speeder 7.3 TS, matrix 7M3, Matrix RUL 70 and Aldila atx green 75. I know my swing produces higher than average spin but I thought for sure with the "loft up" campaign and the right shaft combo I would be closer to 2000-2500 spin and 12-15* launch. Another thing is I don't believe it's possible to get to the optimal 17-1700. I would love to be a believer since I've been a long time TM player, but I find it really hard to believe the 17-1700 and "loft up" campaign.

Current driver set-up: TM R9 460 TP w/ Fujikura Motore F1 65 S

TM R9 460 TP 10.5* Matrix TP7HD X
                TM R9 TP 15* Motore F1 S
                TM TP 19* & 22* Rescue VooDoo S
                TM TP 2009 5-PW Project X 6.0
                WITB Link
                Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant 34"
                TM TP '09 54 & 58

[b]Handicap[/b]: +3
[b]Location[/b]: Minneapolis area
[b]Current driver set-up[/b]: RBZ Tour 9 w/Matrix HD6 (x)

[b]Reason why you should attend[/b]: I'm a competitive state and national player who is a longtime TaylorMade loyalist and have been playing TM drivers since the 510TP, but I just can't make the SLDR work for me. The science behind the driver sounded great and appealed to my analytical mind (I'm a software engineer who also dabbled in physics at college), so I ordered one as soon as they were released last year. I've tried both the 9.5 and 10.5 head in various lofts and while the club feels great, I have lost 10-15 yards. That is simply unacceptable so I had to take it out of the bag. Thought it might have been a bad fit at first, but now I'm just questioning how legitimate the claims are. I'd love a chance to be proven wrong!

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9.0, Ventus TR Blue 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade 300 Mini Blackout 13.5, Ventus Black 7X, 43"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), Ventus TR Red 7X, 42.5"

TaylorMade P770 3 (2023), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG Raw 52, DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T, DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2024)

My WITB Post

[list]
[*]Handicap: 2
[*]Location:Seattle, WA
[*]Reason why you should attend: I just don't believe that the pros are really lofting up to 12* - are they just using the 12* and cranking open the face to have an effective loft close to 10*? I would love to be proven wrong and smoke my R1 out of the bag!
[*]Current driver set-up: R1 9* standard set up, Matrix Ozik Black Tie 7 x-flex
[/list]

[list]
[*]Handicap: 1.6
[*]Location: Pittsburgh, PA
[*]Reason why you should attend: SFTP 1.0 has not been able to be moved from the bag for 4 seasons. AS soon as I pick up a new driver, it doesnt last. I am a high launch low spin type of player as I hit it on the upswing +4-5* AOA. I would be curious if we could maximize the 17* 1700 rule to show me some increases.
[*]Current driver set-up: Taylormade SFTP 1.0 Long Hosel Tour ADDI 6X
[/list]
Thanks for the opportunity!!!!

Taylormade M5 Tour 9* AD-VR 6
Callaway Steelhead XR 16* Ahina 60X
Tour Edge EXS220 18* Ventus
Adams MB2 RAW 5-PW Smoke KBS Tour 120
MD4 Raw 50/58/62 
Piretti Cortino 2

[list]
[*][size=4]Handicap: 9[/size]
[*][size=4]Location: MA[/size]
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: I should attend because I truly don't understand the hype/marketing behind the club when TM released the JetSpeed around same time. I think the JetSpeed is similar to my current driver, which I have had great results with, so I'm skeptical to think that the SLDR would be better than that. [/size]
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up: TM Burner SuperFast 9.5* with stock Matrix stiff flex shaft[/size]
[/list]

Handicap: 5
Reason why I should attend: My skepticism of TMAG throughout the years is well-noted, but I also think I have an open mind about anything and would certainly be willing to admit if they prove me wrong. As for the SLDR specifically, my skepticism comes mostly from the fact that, while it appears that 17/1700 is ideal for total distance, those numbers are NOT the best for accuracy overall. My issue with driving has always been accuracy, I can really get the ball out there but have no clue where it is going at times. This is why I am not sure if SLDR would be the best for my game. That being said, I do LOVE the look of the club and would certainly be willing to game it if it gave me more distance without giving up accuracy.
Current Driver Setup: Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5 Black Tie Stiff

Handicap: 0

Reason to attend: I am a firm believer in what's not broke don't fix it. The lower center of gravity doesn't have me sold in less dispersion of shots and too low of a trajectory. I really would like to have my view changed and find a setup with optimal launch, lower spin rate, and more workability. I just feel they go to low, which causes loss of distance and are less forgiving. My bag is currently 90% TaylorMade, and I would love to find out if the SLDR is the real deal and can improve my game.

Current Driver: RBZ Tour TP (Tour Issue) 9* degree opened to higher setting. Matrix Ozik 7m3 Black Tie X flex 44" tipped 1/4 inch.

SLDR 430 TP 9* Matrix Ozik 7m3 X
SLDR TP/RBZ Tour P 15* & 19* 7m3 X
TaylorMade MB 3-9 KBS CTaper X
Titleist Vokey SM4 48-54-60 KBS blk/grn
Adidas-Coach-Versace
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5

Love this idea!!

Handicap: +.3

Reason: I have been trying to find a driver that surpasses my super fast 2.0 tp. I have tried just about every driver since that driver came out and it's always the same.. I hit mine just as far or I still beat the newer drivers even with $300-400 shaft upgrades. I want find someone who can help me achive this because I'm beyond ready for a new driver.

Current driver: TM super fast 2.0 tp 9.5 stock matrix hd 6 stiff

Thank you WRX and Taylormade for the opportunity.[list]
[*][b]Handicap:[/b] 10 ish (don't carry one officially)
[*][b]Location:[/b] Oceanside, CA
[*][b]Reason why you should attend:[/b] I don't have a taylormade club in my bag. While I have been impressed with the SLDR fairway I have not been impressed with the driver. I stick to what works, which for me, has been a Titleist 913D2. It may spin more, but is more forgiving in my experience. I think that driver tech is maxed out, so you will have your hands full trying to get an appreciable improvement over my current club. Plus, I'm close to Carlsbad.
[*][b]Current driver set-up:[/b] 913D2 7.5 Aldila Tour Green 75X
[/list]

TSR3 Driver 8.25*
TSR3 3W 15*

TSR2 7W 20*
Miura TC-201 4-PW
NCW 55*, 60*
Bettinardi SS16
TP5x

Thanks for another great opportunity Taylormade & GolfWRX!

■Handicap: Currently around a 9, NW PA, below 40 and inches of snow on the ground since November.

■Location: Erie, PA

■Reason why you should attend: Because I believe that Taylormade has put out quality drivers for a while and every new driver is just a marketing ploy to sell clubs. Which is ok, that's the name of the game. But it's also the reason why I haven't picked up a newer Driver and just going with what's pleasing to the eye, sound and feel. I don't think a Kingdom fitted SLDR could beat my Kingdom fitted R11s V2.

■Current driver set-up: R11s V2, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC Tour Spec 6.2, X-Stiff

D - Ping G430 LST 9, PX LE HZRDUS Black Gen 4 60 6.5TX
3W - Ping G410 14.5 (set to 15.5F), PX SB HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 6.5TX

7W - Ping G410 20.5 (set to 19.5F), PX SB HZRDUS Smoke Green 80 6.5TX

4H - Titleist TS3 25 (set to C1), PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 85  6.5

5I - PW - Titleist '19 T100, Project X 6.0 Flighted
GW, SW, LW - Vokey SM8 50F, 56S (bent to 55), 60L, DG TI S400/S200

P - Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5
B - Titleist AVX

Sweet giveaway![list]
[*]Handicap: 5.0
[*][size=4]Location: The Jim Flick Kingdom, Carlsbad, CA[/size]
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: To finally experience the same kind of fitting experience that my girl friend has already had. [/size]
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up: PIng Anser 9.5 with Graphite Design DI-6[/size]
[/list]

Anser 9.5 Tour 65 X
Anser 16.5 Tour 75 X
Anser 20 Hybrid Speeder 9.8
714 AP2 4-9 KBS
Vokey RAW SM8 46F 50F 55D, 60D TI
Newport Two