The $5000 TaylorMade SLDR Guarantee - 20 GolfWRXers. 4 Locations. Details here!

Handicap: 7.5

Reason why you should attend: I bought a SLDR 460 TP with the stock TP x flex and it didn't drive spin down enough for me. I'm a big guy and a high launch high spin player. I'm not a fitter but I'm skeptical even the best Fitters in the world could raise my launch and lower spin.

Current driver set-up:
Ping Anser 8.5* Ahina 70-x tipped 1.5"

Kyle

Taylor Made M6, 9*, Project X Hzrdus Black 6.5, 75g
Taylor Made RBZ Tour Spoon - Aldila RIP Alpha 80X
Taylor Made SLDR 19* Hybrid KBS C-Taper 130-X
Mizuno MP-53 4-9 DG X-100
Vokey 46,50,54,58 DG S-400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini S
TaylorMade TP5X

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Handicap: 2.1

Reason why you should attend: I may be the least accurate single digit handicap out there. I can get a good drive here and there but after so many taylormade drivers I jumped ship and switch to Callaway. I hear others hit the SLDR and it's intriguing but I doubt its ability to cut down my spin numbers and breed confidence in my game.

Current driver set-up: no driver currently, instead a Callaway 14.5* 3 deep with Attas Element stiff shaft. (Recently gamed R9 Supertri with Fuji Blur stiff)

TM M1 460 9.5 Tour AD-BB 6S
TM Aeroburner TP 15* Motore Speeder 7.1 Stiff
TM SLDR 19* Aldila Rogue Black Stiff
Titleist T-MB 4 Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.5
Titles Vokey SM6 52/56/60 TT DGS400 TI Black Onyx
Taylormade Spider Tour JD 34”

Handicap: ~20 (unofficial)

Location: Any will work but i'm also 'skeptical' of Dallas so this could prove me wrong in two areas.

Reason: I consider myself more of an 'average weekend golfer' vs the 300 yd bombers here on GolfWRX. I think that the rules have essentially maxed out performance and that everything else is essentially marketing speak. That was my results when I bought my last driver.

Current driver: Ping G20 10.5 stock ping stiff flex. Bought it after the G25 was released and the price dropped. Newly released drivers at the time of purchase didn't produce any noticeable improvements.

Handicap: 7.8

Reason to attend: I have never been impressed with Taylormade's claims of distance or quality. Every time I have tested one of their drivers my set up would beat it. When I demoed a brand new SLDR in January, the SLDR logo peeled off after 5 drives. I was not impressed. Taylormade caters to the lowest common denominator in golf.

Current Setup: Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Graphite Design Tour ADDI 7x

[list]
[*][size=4]Handicap: 7[/size]
[*][size=4]Location: Seattle WA[/size]
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: I've been fit for a SLDR and still [/size]am not satisfied with the ball flight or accuracy. I just end up hitting my 3 wood off the tee.
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up:[/size] SLDR 12, Diamana X (Rapture 3 wood)
[/list]

[list]
[*]Handicap: 4.8
[*]Location: Moorpark, California
[*]Reason why you should attend: Well i have the R11S TP which i love and Also have the Cobra Amp Cell Pro Driver. Both of these drivers are amazing but the R11S TP is my go to driver. I've hit most of all the new drivers except the Sldr and New Nike Driver. I can justify in trading in my R11S TP for a driver if i already have such great success with it. How much more can a new driver really do for me? I would love to see if what Taylormade says is True about Lofting UP and the SLDR gurantee. I want them to prove me wrong.
[*]Current driver set-up: R11S TP 9.5 Degree X-stiff
[/list]

Handicap: 18
Reason to Pick: I have switched drivers and lofts frequently, including playing TaylorMade and Adams drivers, trying to find a perfect combination and have currently settled on a smaller head Titleist 913 D3 lofted lower than the current SLDR ad campaign is recommending. I would love to try a SLDR to see if there is a better setup, as my driver is the most unpredictable part of my game. With a driver that more consistently puts me in the fairway, I think my handicap would drop quickly and the game would be more fun. Plus, I'm local to Dallas and Gleneagles!
Current Driver: Titleist 913 D3 9.75* 1/2" short

Titleist TS2 driver & 3 wood
PXG 0317 hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons
Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 60S wedges
Scotty Cameron 009 Circle T putter

[list]
[*][size=4]Handicap: 15[/size]
[*][size=4]Location: Vermont[/size]
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: Being in semiconductor, I have a pretty good BS detector. Frankly, Taylor Made's club du jour turns me off: based on your marketing, we are should be be hitting 350 yard drives with ease by now. Additionally, my oprion is that the forward cg drivers are better for low handicappers, and the majority of us would be better off with convential drivers that place a premium on forgiveness over pur distance.[/size]
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up Titleist 910D3 stiff shaft blueboard[/size]
[/list]

Yankees Suck

[list]
[*]Handicap: 11 according to my Swing by Swing app
[*]Location: Detroit, Mi (Metro Detroit)
[*]Reason why you should attend: I've used movable weighted drivers in the past and they didn't give me any advantage over my other drivers. Last year it was low and back COG and now it's low and forward COG. So I'm skeptical of if it will really impact my overall performance
[*][color="#282828"]Current driver set-up: Nike Covert Performance Model - Mistubishi KuroKage Black 50 Stiff flex, Neutral [/color]face setting and 11.5 loft setting.
[/list]
I would love the opportunity to see if the SLDR can beat what's in my bad and help bring my handicap into the single digits.

DH

Callaway X2Hot Pro 9.5 Aldila Tour Green Stiff
Callaway XHot 16 4w RIP Phenom Stiff
Cobra F8 3 Hybrid One Length
Cobra F8 One Length 5-GW
Cobra King Black 56
Callaway 2M O-Works
Callaway ChromeSoft Yellow Truvis

Handicap: 11.6
Why me: I got fit in late January for the 10.5 SLDR 460 with a 60g fubuki alpha on an indoor monitor. It doesn't come close to outperforming my trusty R7 SQ 10.5 outdoors, though. Does TM dare try again to outperform their "old" technology?
Current setup: R7 SQ 10.5 (1-1-12-12), proforce V2 65g stiff @ 45"

Handicap: 10
Reason why you should attend: convince me to buy any anything taylormade in the future. I currently have a SLDR 430 and while it can be decent I am not finding it to live up to the hype. I will probably sell it it soon and go with a ping or titleist. The maxed out COR is starting to guide me back to an old love - Adams 9064. I should probably buy several of those heads and just play them until they break.
Current driver set-up: SLDR 430 10.5* Accra Dymatch ST 70

Handicap: around 8 or 9 (unofficially)
Reason why you should attend: I HIt the SLDR for a day and I had a bad outing. I did NOT try and get fitted, which I think was the problem..plus the 4th is the day before I leave on my honeymoon. What better way to start off a trip than to go get fitted and try out the SLDR :-)
Current driver set-up: taylormade RBZ 9*

[b]Handicap: [/b]13.1
[b]Location:[/b] Chicago, IL
[b]Reason why you should attend:[/b] Sure, I believe that low/forward COG lowers spin. But does everyone need lower spin? And isn't the spin reduced at the cost of forgiveness? I don't think my swing is "good enough" to sacrifice forgiveness in the pursuit of a few extra yards. In fact, I chose my current setup because it gave the straightest ball-- not necessarily the longest. I honestly don't believe that the SLDR could do much better than any other properly-fit setup, but I would love to be proven wrong. Also, I hated the sound/feel of the SLDR when I tried it. I love my current setup because of how solid it feels, and I doubt TM could match that feel with this driver head.
[b]Current driver set-up:[/b] Cleveland Classic Custom XL 10.5* set to 11*, Matrix Ozik 6m3 Black Tie stiff, 44.25" length.

[list]
[*]Current Handicap Index: 7.2
[*]Location: Denver, CO
[*]Reason why I should attend: I've actually been to the Kingdom (a few years back). I spun the ball so much the fitter put me into a R11 set at 7 degrees. I got a little bump from the R11s head (to 7.5 degrees) but my spin and launch numbers are still not optimal. And playing that low of loft has made my drivers very unforgiving. I've tried all the new "lower spin" heads that came out since the R11s (R1, Stage 2, G25, I20, Anser) and they all give me the same problem--I need a super low loft to get spin down but it kills my launch angle. I believe that the SLDR may work for some golfers, I just seriously question whether the "Loft up" idea (or, at this point, any driver) can optimize spin AND launch angle for a high spin player like me.
[*]Current driver set-up: R11s set to 7.5 degrees of loft, 45" blur ts-65 x
[/list]

[color="#282828"]Thanks GolfWRX for providing this opportunity.[/color][list]
[*]Handicap: 14
[*]Location: [color=#000000][size=4]The Kingdom at Reynolds, near Atlanta, GA[/size][/color]
[*]Reason why you should attend: I have been in the icy cold midwest and would love to head south and try out the SLDR driver from Taylormade. My last Taylormade driver was the R9 SuperDeep which I absolutely loved and still have.
[*]Current driver set-up: Titleist 913 D2 9.5* GD BB 7-X
[/list]

[list]
[*][size=4]Handicap: 15[/size]
[*][size=4]Location: Vancouver, BC[/size]
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: Need to see what the hype is all about. I don't believe SLDR works for my slowish noob swing and I don't think SLDR is forgiving enough with the low MOI.[/size]
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up: Ping K15 10.5*, Regular Flex[/size]
[/list]

[list]
[*]Handicap: 1.6
[*]Location: Dallas, TX
[*]Reason why you should attend: Because I have not found Driver love in almost 10 years. Pretty much been switching drivers and shafts every 5 months or so for as long as I can remember. I want something fit and tailored to me and am sick of self fitting myself. I play on a very windy demanding course near the lake and need something with lower spin that I can control in the wind and be "done" with the search! Please help.
[*]Current driver set-up: Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5 45inches Diamana whiteboard 73x. Also swap in a bunch of shafts as well as my Cobra Amp Cell Pro with Diamana D+ 70x.
[/list]

[color=#282828]Handicap: 17.1[/color]
[color=#282828]Location: Maryland, would go to any of the 4 locations, but GA is the closest.[/color]
[color=#282828]Reason: Well, I currently am playing a Covert and love the club. I have the performance and tour version and have it set to 8.5* in the RIGHT setting. While I experienced a tad bit more carry with either head in 11.5* setting, I noticed that overall distance was slightly shorter, maybe by 10 yards. When I add too much loft, the club looks off to me and I personally just do not like the look. I have hit some of my longest drives with the Covert Tour cranked down to 8.5* in the RIGHT setting and that could be mainly due to roll. I am already a high spin player and that is probably more of a swing issue but I do notice that I get better overall distance with a lower lofted club. I'm not sure if I buy into the whole "Loft Up" campaign. I will say that a higher lofted driver has been slightly more forgiving, but not enough for me to give up overall distance.[/color]

[color=#282828]Current Driver Setup: Nike Covert Performance, Oban Kiyoshi Purple, 65g/04(stiff), playing to 44.25" Setting: 8.5*, RIGHT. Also have a Tour head that I switch depending on how good the swing that day. [/color]

Driver: Who knows at this point smh

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

HANDICAP: 8.4
LOCATION SCRANTON PA
REASON: I HIT MORE FAIRWAYS AND DISTANCE WISE I KEEP UP WITH ALL MY FRIENDS WHO ARE USING THE SLDR SO ITS NOT ANYTHING SPECIAL
MY DRIVER: AMP CELL PRO GD AD DI 6X

TM SIM2 MAX Fuji Black Ventus Velocore 7x
Cally Apex Hybrid 20* AD DI 95x
Tour issue Adams DHY 18 PX 6.5 steel
Cally Apex Tour issue S400
Cg12 50, Cally MD forged 54*/58*
Seemore DB4

[list]
[*]Handicap: 11
[*]Location: Charleston, SC
[*]Reason why you should attend: I started withTaylormade drivers when the burner first came out. Had a 7 degree in the '80's that I could KILL. Been playing Taylormade drivers ever since. Haven't tried the SLDR yet but it is my destiny!!!!!
[*]Current driver set-up: Rocketballz stage 2 - 9.5 degree.
[/list]

HDCP: 15.3
Location: Sacramento, CA...love to attend in Dallas to visit my 84 year old mother-in-law!
Reason: I have never liked the firm feel of Taylormade drivers. I also am a low ball hitter with only a high 80s swing speed, so I wonder if this tech is right for us golfers that don't launch the ball very high at all. I would love for you to prove I'm wrong in thinking that the SLDR is not the right driver for me.
Current driver: Cobra Amp Cell, Matrix 6x3 White Tie stiff

Current Gamers
TBD 10.5*, Tour AD IZ 5R
ROGUE MAX 3HL, Heavenwood

PING G410  22*, 26* Hybrids 

PXG Gen5 0311P 7-GW, steelfiber 70
CALLAWAY  MD5 - 56*, 60*
Tour Issue Evnroll ER8 Black, 355 g
2021 Maxfli Tour
2021 PROV1

[list]
[*][size=4]Handicap: 25 unofficially tracked[/size]
[*][size=4]Location: Scott AFB, IL[/size]
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: As a high handicapper, I need forgiveness. TaylorMade says SLDR can help ALL golfers. I would like to put that to the test, as I see a lot of good golfers getting gains from this driver. I want to see how the Loft Up concept can help me hit the ball farther and on more fairways, which could help bring my handicap down. I also struggle with spin, so I want to see how the lower spin head can work with a higher capper and see if the gulf between me and the better player can be narrowed. [/size]
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up: PING G25 9.5 with Diamana Ahina stiff[/size]
[/list]

Christian, husband, father, golfer
www.bellaflies.org

[quote name='HipCheck' timestamp='1395398741' post='8916583']
[size=4]Today, TaylorMade Golf launched its SLDR Guarantee campaign nationwide. If you buy the SLDR Driver anytime today through June and you don’t love the new distance, TaylorMade will give you your money back. You can't really beat that.....or can you?[/size]

[size=4]TaylorMade knows that GolfWRX members are different. You want to see through the marketing. You analyze every inch of every club. You want to know the full tech story behind everything. Some of you have tried the SLDR and love it. Some like it. [u]This event is not for you.[/u] Watch this short video for the full message for us from TaylorMade's Tom Kroll.[/size]

[size=4]TaylorMade wants GolfWRX members who are skeptics, the non-believes and the doubters of low, forward CG design that powers the SLDR driver to take this challenge. 20 GolfWRX members will be flown to 4 different TaylorMade Performance Labs across the country. Each will be fit for SLDR and test their driver head-to-head with TaylorMade's flagship big stick. [/size]

[color=#B22222][b][size=4]LOCATIONS[/size][/b][/color][list]
[*][size=4]The Jim Flick Kingdom, Carlsbad, CA[/size]
[*][size=4]TMPL at Gleneagles, near Dallas, TX[/size]
[*][size=4]TMPL at TPC Sawgrass, near Jacksonville, FL[/size]
[*][size=4]The Kingdom at Reynolds, near Atlanta, GA[/size]
[/list]
[size=4][color=#B22222][b]DATE[/b][/color]
April 4, 2014 - Look for the LIVE thread
[size=2](trip will be April 3-5 for attendees and include a round of golf as well)[/size][/size]

[size=4]How will they ensure the results are fair? Data. Cold hard numbers. Launch monitors will be used in each location to ensure similar swings and prevent sandbagging. GolfWRX will have reps at each location and we'll cover it live for you.

[color=#B22222][b]THE WRINKLE[/b][/color]
There is an extra wrinkle to this challenge coming soon. Attendees will find out soon enough so stay tuned.

[color=#B22222][b]THE ATTENDEES[/b][/color]
When you're looking for skeptics, it's hard to post and trip thread and get pure honesty. What about those who just want a free trip? In order to prevent that, we're sending out invites to 15 members via PM today who have previous posted their doubts and criticisms about SLDR. They'll be announced soon.

[color=#B22222][b]5 SPOTS OPEN (HOW TO ENTER)[/b][/color]
Having said that, we also believe the general membership should have a chance to attend, provided they are a skeptic, doubter or hater. So do you want to attend? Do you doubt the SLDR technology? Enter below. Give us your best reasons why you think you should attend (no lying!) and we'll pick 5 shortly.[/size][list]
[*][size=4]Handicap: 13[/size]
[*][size=4]Location:Newton Massachusetts[/size]
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: I never get a chance to really try out different options for women, If I am lucky there is usually one club and one shaft to try at most demo days. I really am not sure that all the tech stuff works or makes a difference but I would really love for you to prove me wrong and give me a real opportunity to try some different things. I am a 13 but have been as low as 9 when I have more time to practice so I have a good game but 10-15 yards would make more par 4's reachable in regulation for me and lower my handicap. I will make the most of this opportunity and will spread the word if you can prove me wrong! [/size]
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up: Cobra 12 degree loft or Ladies Big bertha 10 degree with senior shaft. [/size]
[/list]
[size=4]GO! [/size]
[/quote]

[list]
[*]Handicap: 16
[*]Location: Dallas, TX (North Dallas)
[*][color="#282828"]Reason why you should attend: I do feel the SLDR can increase distance on the a well struck shot, but I'm not sold on it being consistently longer. I would love to see hard numbers showing that a high/mid cap can increase not only their longest drives, but also their average drives. The low and forward CG should point to less forgiveness, so would I actually improve my total driving ability, or just my perfect shots? Those are the numbers I want to see.[/color]
[*]Current driver set-up: Adams Fast 12 LS 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 Stiff tipped 0.5" playing at 44.5"
[/list]

[list]
[*][b]Handicap[/b]: 4
[*][b]Location[/b]: Chicago, IL (ability to attend wherever)
[*][b]Reason why you should attend[/b]: I haven't bagged a single TM club since the R7 Superquad and R7 Limited. It's been a while. I am a high spin, high launch player (124-127 mph, 14* launch, 2900-3300 rpm...even with proper swing changes) and most of TM's offerings have not catered to my swing type (the R1 was an absolute disaster in that respect). The "Loft up" campaign seems good natured, but I fall into the Tom Wishon camp of doubting that 17*/1700 is both beneficial or even attainable, particularly for the average golfer. I honestly don't see myself lofting up at all in the optimization of my swing/driver. If anything I should loft down. The feel of the SLDR 460 drives me a little crazy and it bugs me just how punishing it can be on slight mishits towards the heel. Perhaps the 430 could be the last hope for a lower spin combo, but it's not like there are any to test out with custom shafts at most retailers (so this is really just a guess and conjecture). I think the campaign is a good PSA about loft awareness, but I need to see that science put into action in front of my eyes to believe it can actually benefit me.
[*][b]Current driver set-up[/b]: Bridgestone J40 430 9.5* w/ Project X 7A3 (tipped 1") playing at 44.5, swingweight D2 (out the door for launching too high/spin). Cobra Bio Cell + with Diamana D+ 72x (tipped 0.5") @ 45" on the way.
[/list]

Cobra Fly Z+ 8.5* w/ Diamana D+ 70x
Tour Edge CB Pro 14.5* w/ Speeder 757x
Mizuno MP-H4 2i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z+ 3i-5i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z Pro 6-PW w/ C-Taper 130
Callaway MD2 50*/S and 56*/T
Bettinardi Sabbatini Flow Neck Proto
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/145720-jakebarnes-witb-updated-828/page__hl__%20jakebarnes"]WITB Link[/url]

Handicap: +2.3
Reason: Taylormade marketing has everyone brain washed, a good player with a good swing speed can't pick up 20, 30 or even 40 yards as they advertise. I got fit for my driver and I highly doubt the SLDR would be longer.
Current driver: Titleist 910D3 8.5 GD AD DI 7X

PING G425 Max 9° GD DI 6X
PING G425 Max 3 wood 14.5° HZRDUS T1100 6.5

PING G425 Max 7 wood 20.5° HZRDUS T1100 6.5
PING i59 4-PW PX 6.0
PING Glide Forge Pro 50° 54° 58°  PX 6.0
Machine custom Garage